New scouting / talent id manager

NickG

Interesting that he has come from Man City. Probably because he can see that we want to develop our youngsters as opposed to simply splashing the cash.

It's pleasing to see that ML's money is being spent on the long term development and infrastructure of the club. Just compare this with that lot down the road. Virtually every penny spent there went into the players (and their agents) pockets. PFC as a football club has been left with nothing, scandalous.

We're going to be in such a good position in a couple of years once this structure bears fruit.

I know i'm probably not the only one that's been frustrated at clubs like Wolves getting good players like Kightly from nowhere....and we're left with the ryan smith's of the world.

that will be totally different now, we'll be one of the first clubs in the queue for the best young talent.

Look at Barca.

They have a first class youth and scouting system and 7 of their regular starting 11 cost them absolutely zilch (transfer fees) and they still won the league, yet Real spent £200M.

Im not putting us in the same bracket as Barca (yet) but we're certainly heading in the right direction.

Look at Barca.

They have a first class youth and scouting system and 7 of their regular starting 11 cost them absolutely zilch (transfer fees) and they still won the league, yet Real spent £200M.

Im not putting us in the same bracket as Barca (yet) but we're certainly heading in the right direction.

To me it looks like NC is trying to model us on barca. We'll never be as big or as famous, but we're following the same methods they have followed for years.

Finally we are returning to where we were a few years ago, being able to compete for the best talent, with the best clubs.Unfortunately we allowed all our good work to erode away, for a cheap option.Anyway that has been debated to death, so best left alone.

From small accorns ,Barça haven't always been as big as now ....

To me it looks like NC is trying to model us on barca. We'll never be as big or as famous, but we're following the same methods they have followed for years.

My understanding was that Man City did have a v good youth set up, prior to the big spenders arriving. So this would indicate a move in the right direction!

they did have a good acadamy (and probably still do), bringing through the likes of Johnson, Onouha, Richards, Wiess etc... but i think they can kind of see their work being sidelined, with the first team just being assembled from europes best.

I know i'm probably not the only one that's been frustrated at clubs like Wolves getting good players like Kightly from nowhere....and we're left with the ryan smith's of the world.

What a silly thing to say. You forgotten all the talent we've had over the last few years, some of which has now been and gone? Bale, Walcott, Lallana to name just three.

Players that have "recently" passed through the academy...

Theo Walcott - Arsenal

Wayne Bridge - Man City

Gareth Bale - Tottenham

Andrew Surman - Wolves

Chris Baird - Fulham

Leon Best - Newcastle

Scott McDonald - Middlesbrough

Nathan Dyer - Swansea

Matthew Mills - Reading

David McGoldrick - Nottm Forest

Dexter Blackstock - Nottm Forest

Nile Ranger - Newcastle

Mike Williamson - Newcastle

Martin Cranie - Coventry

Matthew Oakley - Leicester

Brian Howard - Reading

Cédric Baseya - Lille

Tim Sparv - Grongingen

More impressive than a lot of clubs! :)

Careful what you say. I remember Sillyman Al Joke from that lot down the road saying that he was modelling them on Arsenal.

What a silly thing to say. You forgotten all the talent we've had over the last few years, some of which has now been and gone? Bale, Walcott, Lallana to name just three.

i wasn't referring to the academy as such, but in the last few years we have missed out on some real good gems in the lower leagues, simply because our scouting has not been good enough. (coupled with a lack of money)