£3.30 a pint. Sod off.

Suhari

Not been in the Angel for years, it used to be alright for a few games of pool on a Sunday. An old teddy boy used to to serve behind the bar/was the landlord. Reckon it would have been a pretty rough pub a few years before.

The Lord Palmerston is a funny place, think it's an IRA friendly pub.

Tbf, SaintKip. Rome isn't the kind of Italy I'm talking about, and neither is Milan or any big italian city. It's the local towns and villages where local culture lives and resists the competition from global product. Long may it continue.

Like the countless local villages in England which are clearly brim full of McDs KFCs and Pizza Huts : roll :

I'm lucky in the respect i have a couple of nice 'locals' pubs nearby,reasonably priced and tidy inside and out with good BBQ facilities and nice gardens/patios and such like.

But in town it is bloody awful,**** poor decor,rarely the bars look clean and don't even talk about the state of the toilets and they charge a fortune.

The Weatherspoons is ok during the day but at night full of slappers and chavs, mullered and acting tough.

I will venture in there possibly late on a Saturday night after the aforementioned numptys have left and gone too the poor excuses for clubs we have,again they are a state.

It is ok for the price you pay and after 11pm it is fairly bearable.

I'm lucky in the respect i have a couple of nice 'locals' pubs nearby,reasonably priced and tidy inside and out with good BBQ facilities and nice gardens/patios and such like.

But in town it is bloody awful,**** poor decor,rarely the bars look clean and don't even talk about the state of the toilets and they charge a fortune.

The Weatherspoons is ok during the day but at night full of slappers and chavs, mullered and acting tough.

I will venture in there possibly late on a Saturday night after the aforementioned numptys have left and gone too the poor excuses for clubs we have,again they are a state.

It is ok for the price you pay and after 11pm it is fairly bearable.

I think you miss the point, most people don't go to pubs for the cleanliness and decor. I'm thinking you should climb out of your arse.

The Anchor in East Street is a strange place. There's all far right newspaper cuttings on the walls. I think Eastleighsoulboy drinks here.
The Anchor has been my pre-match pub for the last two seasons but father christmas has sold up and some pikey scumbags have taken over, new pub needed for next season, thing is every pub I find Stueeeey and his "lads" takeover and you end up sipping a beer with a police camera in your face.

The smoking ban and the the attitude to/enforcement of drink driving laws has killed village pubs. The only way they can make money is through food.:(

You really are a d*ck.

Drink driving is for C*nts and the smoking ban was welcomed, i choose not to smoke and so not to slowly kill myself, why would i want to then breathe in someone elses dirty pikey habbit ??

The tax on alcohol has killed local pubs and so has the fact that the breweries are slowly killing them off.

In my local area the only pub making any money is the Spike Islander and that is because it is a free house.

The Anchor has been my pre-match pub for the last two seasons but father christmas has sold up and some pikey scumbags have taken over, new pub needed for next season, thing is every pub I find Stueeeey and his "lads" takeover and you end up sipping a beer with a police camera in your face.

It used to be one of my pre match watering holes. Has it changed with the new landlord, i,e have the newspaper cuttings been taken down?

You really are a d*ck.

Drink driving is for C*nts and the smoking ban was welcomed, i choose not to smoke and so not to slowly kill myself, why would i want to then breathe in someone elses dirty pikey habbit ??

The tax on alcohol has killed local pubs and so has the fact that the breweries are slowly killing them off.

In my local area the only pub making any money is the Spike Islander and that is because it is a free house.

zzzzzzzzz. You make too many assumptions.

It used to be one of my pre match watering holes. Has it changed with the new landlord, i,e have the newspaper cuttings been taken down?
No longer a dog that walks round with a balloon in his mouth, still good graffiti in the toilets from visiting teams and the worst beer garden ever.

That shopping centre has to be the worst in the whole of england, only good thing is the scales.

No longer a dog that walks round with a balloon in his mouth, still good graffiti in the toilets from visiting teams and the worst beer garden ever.

That shopping centre has to be the worst in the whole of england, only good thing is the scales.

Leave the shopping centre alone. With the tricorn centre now gone it will soon be declared a world heritage site. Did you ever go in the royal oak when Ann and Rob ran it, used to be a good crack of an evening before hitting jollys or the classy sity of sound, but is now full of students.

Used to like it in there before the game, now it`s mostly Kak and more expensive.:smt072

Leave the shopping centre alone. With the tricorn centre now gone it will soon be declared a world heritage site. Did you ever go in the royal oak when Ann and Rob ran it, used to be a good crack of an evening before hitting jollys or the classy sity of sound, but is now full of students.

Still go in the Royal oak, serves a nice pint of Kroneee and the birds behind the bar all have big boobies, not really a boob man but they do make me feel a bit boobly.

Roughest pub in Southampton has to be the one opposite the Plume, total dump, been in there twice, first time I asked the barman if I could use his phone to get a cab, he said they don't come here as people get killed and the 2nd time a bloke came over to the table I was drinking at and told me and my friends to leave now or I'll slice you up.

Oh I'm sure it isn't. But it's nice to see a resistance to a global product and favouring of the locally cultured food.

You actually based in northern Italy, Sue, as your location suggests..?

Yep, just off out for an apperitivo shortly. Here I drink wine with a group of mainly older [safer] guys and a few gals - almost like an Austrian stammtisch, if you know what I mean. People take turns to buy a €10 bottle so occasionally you can nip out for a quick glass or two and not spend a thing.

Roughest pub in Southampton has to be the one opposite the Plume, total dump, been in there twice, first time I asked the barman if I could use his phone to get a cab, he said they don't come here as people get killed and the 2nd time a bloke came over to the table I was drinking at and told me and my friends to leave now or I'll slice you up.

Kingsland Tavern or The Joiners?

Yep, just off out for an apperitivo shortly. Here I drink wine with a group of mainly older [safer] guys and a few gals - almost like an Austrian stammtisch, if you know what I mean. People take turns to buy a €10 bottle so occasionally you can nip out for a quick glass or two and not spend a thing.

Safe as in AIDS free?

Remember going into the public bar of The Ice House, about 10-15 years back, and there was sawdust on the floor. Are there any pubs where sawdust is still scattered..?

I used to live in coxford, I remember the icehouse well, they used to win awards for their hanging basket displays out front. Which masked the sawdust-strewn floors inside.....

theres a place in Romsey used to be a bikers pub, anybody walked through the front door the entire clientele turned round and yelled "F*CK OFF" at full volume

I think you miss the point, most people don't go to pubs for the cleanliness and decor. I'm thinking you should climb out of your arse.

I'm thinking you should stop talking out of yours.

I think most people would turn round and walk staight out of the holes we have down here.

If i'm out on the **** with mates i'm not that fussy,but sticking to the carpet/laminate and swimming in ****,broken tables and chairs and filthy dirty glasses is not my idea of a conjusive atmosphere for a good night.,especially when you pay a fortune for the 'pleasure'.

Meh,maybe i just have standards.

[/b]

I'm thinking you should stop talking out of yours.

I think most people would turn round and walk staight out of the holes we have down here.

If i'm out on the **** with mates i'm not that fussy,but sticking to the carpet/laminate and swimming in ****,broken tables and chairs and filthy dirty glasses is not my idea of a conjusive atmosphere for a good night.,especially when you pay a fortune for the 'pleasure'.

Meh,maybe i just have standards.

meh, maybe you are still in your arse.

That's so last century (early part of). Anyway Grandad, just to keep you happy I had words with myself, and have agreed to continue drinking them if it's a decent pint.

It may well be old fashioned, but it's still a horrible sight.

zzzzzzzzz. You make too many assumptions.

Such as ?? :confused:

I don't think i made any assumptions.

You are a d*ck, i don't smoke nor do i want to breathe in anyone elses, the pubs around my area are struggling or closing down ??

Edited by Smirking_Saint

Such as ?? :confused:

I don't think i made any assumptions.

The change in attitude towards drink driving has affected country pubs because people used to drive to them from surrounding villages and towns. The smoking ban has made pubs sterile and has driven a lot of smokers away because it's not such a fun place to go, and because many smokers have stopped going so have their mates. You assume i support drink driving and smoking, but if you weren't so thick and quick to gob off you'd realise i was stating a fact.

The change in attitude towards drink driving has affected country pubs because people used to drive to them from surrounding villages and towns. The smoking ban has made pubs sterile and has driven a lot of smokers away because it's not such a fun place to go, and because many smokers have stopped going so have their mates. You assume i support drink driving and smoking, but if you weren't so thick and quick to gob off you'd realise i was stating a fact.

I would imagine that most village pubs predate the strict enforcement, or even enactment, of drink driving laws so I would imagine there is a bit more to it than that.

As for the smoking ban... good. It's smelly.

Not really, the drink driving one is a non entity really, you have a small point about the smoking ban, but the real killer is the breweries pushing the beer prices up and increasing the overheads, also making it impossible for pubs to source their own alcohol.

That and the fact that people can buy cheaper alcohol in supermarkets.

Went into the White Horse in Ampfield last night for a pint on my way home.

About 10.20 on a Friday night

About 3 people in there - 30 years ago it would have been heaving.

Sad what's happened to the British pub - I have to say though that a pint and a J2O at £5.50 is a p*ss-take.

Aaah 70s memories. Everyone on the bikes and down the White Horse from Winch.

I would imagine that most village pubs predate the strict enforcement, or even enactment, of drink driving laws so I would imagine there is a bit more to it than that.

As for the smoking ban... good. It's smelly.

It's still a factor and another nail in the coffin. The influx of yuppies to rural villages is also another factor.

smug beardy weardy. Next to the platform tavern is La regatta, lovely tapas.

I don't have enough facial hair to grow a beard.

I'll stick with good old fashioned pub grub rather than the ****ty British version of tapas. In my experience you need to spend about £20 to get enough food to fill up. We don't do it the way the Spanish intended.

I don't have enough facial hair to grow a beard.

I'll stick with good old fashioned pub grub rather than the ****ty British version of tapas. In my experience you need to spend about £20 to get enough food to fill up. We don't do it the way the Spanish intended.

It's run by a Spanish family, the best tapas I've ever had, try it for me.

Not really, the drink driving one is a non entity really, you have a small point about the smoking ban, but the real killer is the breweries pushing the beer prices up and increasing the overheads, also making it impossible for pubs to source their own alcohol.

That and the fact that people can buy cheaper alcohol in supermarkets.

I like the way you state these things as FACT when in FACT they are mainly fiction....

There are [in the main], three types of pubs :

1. Managed - Pub owned by larger company, which employs a manager to run it for them. Generally these larger companies [Mitchells, Whitbread, Punch etc] will have enormous buying power with suppliers which REDUCES the cost of the beer they buy, but they have a duty to shareholders which will increase the prices again.

2. Owned / freehold - Owner / Licensee owns the pub in it's entirety [maybe with a bank facility], and isn't 'tied' to any brewery, so has freedom of choice. However this freedom of choice means they have virtually no buying power to negotiate prices downwards, so they will be paying top whack for their beer supplies, driving prices upwards. However, they have no obligations [except maybe a mortgage], so any profits they make are theirs to keep, driving the prices down....

3. Tenanted / Leased - Generally the property will be owned by a huge company [Punch, Enterprise etc], and the licensee 'buys' the lease for many thousands of pounds. They are then 'contracted' to the leasing company to pay a monthly rent. They are also 'tied' as to a number of main beers [eg Fosters, Stella, John Smith's etc], which they will HAVE to purchase from the 'brewery' - a loose term really as not many 'breweries' own their own pubs these days - and these beers will be sold at a set price. The leasing company will charge a premium on top of what they paid for the beer, covering their own distribution costs, and also giving them a profit, driving the prices up. The rest of the alcohol, wines, soft drinks etc, can generally be purchased from whichever supplier the licensee can get it cheapest from, which should give a larger profit to counteract the small profits made due to the beer 'tie'.

All 3 types have their good and bad points, and any one of the three if managed / run properly can make an enormous profit. Sadly, the bad operators that have gone out of business are only too quick to blame the easy targets like the smoking ban, cheap supermarket booze etc, rather than admitting to their own shortcomings and failures.

I haven't been out to The Newport Inn for quite a while, but the Ploughman's Lunch they have always done, and I remember, is legendary.

What could be simpler..? Good rustic bread, with a huge pat of butter; an enormous wodge of cheddar, and some proper pickled onions, gherkins and jar pickle. All washed down with a very, very good pint. It doesn't get much better. Of course, they also used to do huge cheese/ham sandwiches as well, which were memorable.

Thinking about it... I might not leave it too long before I get out there again.

Yep, the first time I went to the Newport was on my 16th birthday, in January 1976. I honestly don't think it's changed one jot in the intervening years, except that the foliage has encroached on some of the garden furniture. Rickety pub furniture in the back bar, what look like (and probably are) old bus seats in the front.

They still do ploughman's lunches and wonderful ham sandwiches; crusty bread, home-cooked ham, a few pickled onions, all washed down with a pint or two of HSB. Heaven.

Yep, the first time I went to the Newport was on my 16th birthday, in January 1976. I honestly don't think it's changed one jot in the intervening years, except that the foliage has encroached on some of the garden furniture. Rickety pub furniture in the back bar, what look like (and probably are) old bus seats in the front.

They still do ploughman's lunches and wonderful ham sandwiches; crusty bread, home-cooked ham, a few pickled onions, all washed down with a pint or two of HSB. Heaven.

You used to get a lot of IBM workers in there at lunchtimes.