£3.30 a pint. Sod off.

Suhari

There are still proper pubs about, but increasingly less so in cities. The Guide Dog in Inner Ave seems to have been the same for a long time, and there are others, but.. one of the best ones I can think of is probably the Cuckoo in Hamptworth. Genuinely old, and still very, very local. Perhaps a bit too much, but it's largely unspoilt by idiots. The Royal Oak at Fritham is pretty great too. Gets busy in the summer with walkers and city dwellers who needlessly possess 4x4xs, but it's still worth a go.

There are still proper pubs about, but increasingly less so in cities. The Guide Dog in Inner Ave seems to have been the same for a long time, and there are others, but.. one of the best ones I can think of is probably the Cuckoo in Hamptworth. Genuinely old, and still very, very local. Perhaps a bit too much, but it's largely unspoilt by idiots. The Royal Oak at Fritham is pretty great too. Gets busy in the summer with walkers and city dwellers who needlessly possess 4x4xs, but it's still worth a go.
4x4's are fine, global warming isn't happening.........

Such as ?? :confused:

I don't think i made any assumptions.

You are a d*ck, i don't smoke nor do i want to breathe in anyone elses, the pubs around my area are struggling or closing down ??

these two points are not unconnected. We can argue all day about whether the smoking ban was right or wrong, but I dont think anyone can sensibly argue that, since the ban started, pubs are a/ less full, and b/ closing down at a much faster rate than before it.

(Im not a smoker btw, the only effect its had on me is that there are fewer pubs to drink in.)

Agreed but not due to killing the planet but due to them being sh*t.

Never said it was about that. More.. just generally. People who own one, despite not having anyone to put in more than 2 of the seats, who never get the ****ing thing dirty. **** off.

theres a place in Romsey used to be a bikers pub, anybody walked through the front door the entire clientele turned round and yelled "F*CK OFF" at full volume

The Three Tuns, I believe. Or the Tudor Rose. Or... actually, I'm not at all sure.

So a couple of us went into Winchester tonight for a quick beer - anywhere but the Charlie. Ended up in the Weatherspoons, paying £1.65 for a pint of Ruddles. Yep: £1.65. Not my favourite beer, but hey...

I am no fan of Weatherspoons, but that is a good price. And at 7pm on a Saturday night it is a decent place to spend an hour.

Granted when we went back there at 9:30 after an inpromptu curry it was full of chavs and slappers, but still: £1.65.

Surely it is not too hard to provide reasonable beer at acceptable prices?

No longer a dog that walks round with a balloon in his mouth, still good graffiti in the toilets from visiting teams and the worst beer garden ever.

That shopping centre has to be the worst in the whole of england, only good thing is the scales.

Happy times.:)

paying £1.65 for a pint of Ruddles.

It's not Ruddles. It's just the Ruddles brand. The proper Ruddles brewery was pulled down a few years ago and it's now brewed in Abingdon. They cannot replicate the well water Ruddles used to use so it's a completely different pint.

The rising sun in Shirley used to be a good week night drinking pub, it changed it's name to the beautiful south after that trampy band visited a few years back, is it still called that? I did my first dentists chair in here.:)

The rising sun in Shirley used to be a good week night drinking pub, it changed it's name to the beautiful south after that trampy band visited a few years back, is it still called that? I did my first dentists chair in here.:)

I think its the Brass Monkey now, not bad for Shirley but nothing to write home about,

Thing with traditional pubs is that they almost certainly won't be located in the middle of the city, or on the main street. Neither are they hugely likely to be in some overrun touristy village anymore. I've found that trad pubs, offering good beers at reasonable [never properly cheap] prices are found in side streets and down the road less trodden. There are plenty of examples and here's three off the top of my head:

The Waterloo, in Southampton

The Royal Oak, in Fritham

The Newport, in Braishfield

Just avoid the themed pubs and they'll die. Incidentally, I notice the Old Thatched House has been closed up for some while. Whilst it wasn't a pub I frequented, I can't believe it is going to be allowed to crumble into the dust. Must be a listed building, at least.

The Old Thatched is, I think being turned into a Dentists, or something similar.

Across the road the Blacksmiths(aka Ringside) has been closed for a while.

Fair sized plot so no doubt ripe for development.

Perhaps we should start a 'Pub Closed' thread. There seems to be a growing list as evidenced by the number along Shirley High St for example.

Apparently in the 1850's there was, on average, a drinking establishment for every 175 people resident in the City!!

It does, I live in Basingstoke and I can't think of any proper boozers in the town centre, like Bournemouth it has loads of wine bars with laminate flooring, rubbish. Weymouth is good for pubs.

Agreed, and to make matters worse, we even have a pub called the Portsmouth!!

It is sad and very noticeable when I come back how pubs have changed over the years.

Used to go to the Wig & Quill in Salisbury for their 6X on my trips back, new landlord came in, business wasn't as good as his business plan had needed, he cut back, stopped cleaning out the pipes and caring for the beer, result - it tasted sh1t - stopped going.

Discovered the most reliable pint of 6X was the Old Ale House. Now when I tell people I'm in town & will be there I get the reply - I'm not going there it's way too expensive, or Christ you must be flush...

The point is that the bar serves realiable real ale of the type I want to drink, and yet some people are so fixated over the price of the beer that (ie my sister) even had a flaming row with me over it. You're an idiot, you should go to Deacons where it's cheaper, they do Real Ale...... Yes, they do, but I don't WANT a pint of GFB/Summer Lightning, I want a pint of 6X or Courage Best.

This mindset persists and yet the ridiculous thing is that the price difference is around 25p a pint. Now I know that "25p can be a lot of money" but it is like saying, well meat is expensive you should eat Baked Beans 'cos it's cheaper.

The argument should be "Do you serve the product I want at the price I want to pay?" or "Do I want to pour the cheapest product down my throat".

To be a SUCCESSFUL pub, you have to decide what your run-rate clientele is going to be. 3-30 for London Pride & probably Caviar & Foie Gras in a Village Pub sounds to me like somebody trying to prove they don't really have a small willie. It is just daft.

But a Real Pub choosing to serve ok beer and have a good atsmophere for locals - such as Deacons - will always do well, as will a real Pub choosing to serve "Premium Ales".

At the end of the day for us, ANY pint of beer that doesn't cost us 5.50 is a fecking bargain.

(Oh and yes, the smoking ban DOES kill pubs. It isn't "PC" to say - Pubs in Towns/Cities where people have a choice SHOULD be allowed to choose whether to allow smoking or not - non-smokers will still have plentty of choice, but we have seen the evidence here as many of the previously busy bars in Jumeira Group Hotels simply died when they introduced a smoking ban.)

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

At the end of the day for us, ANY pint of beer that doesn't cost us 5.50 is a fecking bargain.

And a drowning man will clutch at a straw...

Horses for courses Phil. I won't drink sh*t beer just because it's cheap. I would rather go without. However I won't pay inflated prices for a pint so some anally retentive tosser can claim that you're paying for the atmosphere and ambience (Yes Black Boy, it's you I'm talking about).

Anything approaching £3 a pint for bitter sees me looking for somewhere else.

Popped out to The Cuckoo Inn, yesterday, as The Newport was apparently shut for the day [so I was told]. Nothing extraordinary of note about the pub, although it is rather quaint, as people who know it will testify, but I had a pint of Sign of Spring, which cost £3.00. It's made with nettles and is green..!

GreenBeer_edged.jpg

Bloody nice too.

Popped out to The Cuckoo Inn, yesterday, as The Newport was apparently shut for the day [so I was told]. Nothing extraordinary of note about the pub, although it is rather quaint, as people who know it will testify, but I had a pint of Sign of Spring, which cost £3.00. It's made with nettles and is green..!

GreenBeer_edged.jpg

Bloody nice too.

Looks like a pint of Creme de Menthe!

I was just thinking that someone like you would have that attitude. I assure you it is more proper than any bloody much hyped lager.

I don't like to disapoint. I respect you for being in touch with your feminie side.;)

The sporting view (Pub in the Park)

Nasty inside

****e beer

**** food

Expensive pool

But the view over Southampton on a summers night, just melllows me right out, always puts me in a good mood and makes me proud to be a Sotonian..... which all sounds a bit gay, but I will miss it when it's gone.

Edited by St Landrew
Oops, edited when I meant to quote

The sporting view (Pub in the Park)

Nasty inside

****e beer

**** food

Expensive pool

But the view over Southampton on a summers night, just melllows me right out, always puts me in a good mood and makes me proud to be a Sotonian..... which all sounds a bit gay, but I will miss it when it's gone.

Is it going..?

Is it going..?

The lease is owned by the Hockey club and they subsidise to the tune of about 80k a year (This is third hand, so no idea how accurate) and apparently this is the last year they are prepared to do it, so unless someone takes up the lease then it could well just shut.

The MayFly (nr Stockbridge) has to be the best pub in terms of location for a nice meal and a drink of a lunchtime in the summer. Throwing bits of bread in the water and seeing 10lb Brownie's come up and gulp them down is brilliant.

mayfly1.JPG

The MayFly (nr Stockbridge) has to be the best pub in terms of location for a nice meal and a drink of a lunchtime in the summer. Throwing bits of bread in the water and seeing 10lb Brownie's come up and gulp them down is brilliant.

mayfly1.JPG

AND they served 6X when I went there for a meeting last summer - good shout

So a couple of us went into Winchester tonight for a quick beer - anywhere but the Charlie. Ended up in the Weatherspoons, paying £1.65 for a pint of Ruddles. Yep: £1.65. Not my favourite beer, but hey...

I am no fan of Weatherspoons, but that is a good price. And at 7pm on a Saturday night it is a decent place to spend an hour.

Granted when we went back there at 9:30 after an inpromptu curry it was full of chavs and slappers, but still: £1.65.

Surely it is not too hard to provide reasonable beer at acceptable prices?

why have you never tried the social club? As for the Charlie, it always was expensive even when Sue was running it. Heard it was a bit poncey, but its ok for a few pints in the afternoon when the sun is shining. Will never be like it used to be which is a shame. Moving back to Kingsworthy in 2 weeks so i will probably use it every now and again.