Over-30's needed for WorldNET tournament (under-30s now also required!!)

Minty

Afternoon all,

Some of you may recall info about this in the past, and some of you have been recruited to the teams already, but I'm after more players.

Steve Grant and I are taking two Saints supporter teams to the 15th WorldNET tournament in Leeds on July 24/25.

This is a full-on 11-a-side tournament, Steve's team is in the main competition with 63 other teams, whilst I now lead the Vets side, in a 20-team competition. Group games take place on the Saturday, with a knockout on the Sunday. The best bit about the weekend however, is meeting fellow fans, going out in Leeds on Friday/Saturday night, and just having a good time. For my sins, I've actually been to every tournament since 1996.

More info about it is here: www.worldnet.org.uk

The teams were originally formed of players from the original Saintslist team 'CyberSaints' which then moulded into the forum team, Southampton IFC, and I know last year Steve got more forum members along.

I need some over 30's to join the Vets team as we've lost a few players since last year due to injury, weddings and previous engagements! If you're interested, PM me. Cost for the whole weekend would be £85, including accommodation on site at Boddington Hall in Leeds, and breakfast on Sat/Sun morning. I've seen some of you at the forum match, so I know we have some decent players out there! But Baj is coming too this year, so it's open to all abilities. ;)

I'm sure those who've been before will attest to how good a weekend it is.

Cheers for listening.

Minty

And if you ARE interested to going, I have flights between Southampton and Leeds on the Friday and Sunday to shift on, cos I can't go (first one I've missed since 2003), so PM me.

I heartily recommend the whole experience, it's GREAT and I'd be going this year too if life wasn't intervening.

how much for the tickets Mr The9?

Dunno, I'll have to check what they cost me.

You'd have to take on any transfer costs to get the name changed, but I bought them pretty early so will be cheaper than a train or Steve's petrol-guzzling bananamobile.

Minty

I am interested in this mate and living in Liverpool means the journey is not that bad.

Can I get you at a different email address as I am unable to PM? (I know i should join properly!)

Cheers

P.s I am dreadful.....

Yep, it's andy@andymintram.co.uk.

I get **** loads of spam already so posting it on here won't make much difference!

Dunno, I'll have to check what they cost me.

You'd have to take on any transfer costs to get the name changed, but I bought them pretty early so will be cheaper than a train or Steve's petrol-guzzling bananamobile.

It's usually something like £15 each way for the name change, and another £20 admin fee... something ridiculous like that.

What the f*ck?

I am now classed as a 'veteren' ?

F*ck off.

I blame Cortese.

Veteran - a broad definition, given that I qualify by 7 years and refused to play with the old b'stards last year. :)

Veteran - a broad definition, given that I qualify by 7 years and refused to play with the old b'stards last year. :)

Indeed, trying to maintain the pretence that you can still compete with younger, fitter players. ;)

And yes Stu, sadly in football, over 30 is often considered 'veteran'. It's usually over 35 for more official vets games and leagues, but this tournament has it at 30, because of the amount of whipper-snappers playing these days.

Indeed, trying to maintain the pretence that you can still compete with younger, fitter players. ;)

And yes Stu, sadly in football, over 30 is often considered 'veteran'. It's usually over 35 for more official vets games and leagues, but this tournament has it at 30, because of the amount of whipper-snappers playing these days.

I don't have to compete, just score goals. But it would be a bit tricky from where I'm going to be instead.

This is the only competition I've ever seen where 35 isn't the cut-off. Though admittedly I once played in a Veterans' competition when I was 21 and my dad's team was short, I don't think that counts.

Saw the post on the other thread Minty, flattered.

Unfortunately I can't commit to anything that far ahead just now, but would have had to say no anyway as I am not a 'lad's lad' and Leeds city centre sounds too scary a place to get lost in, especially with my estuary/hog twangs. Oh and one other thing, I got a cramp walking up a hill in Winchester the afternoon. You'd be carying me in every sense of the word.

Thanks again.

Unfortunately I can't commit to anything that far ahead just now, but would have had to say no anyway as I am not a 'lad's lad' and Leeds city centre sounds too scary a place to get lost in, especially with my estuary/hog twangs. Oh and one other thing, I got a cramp walking up a hill in Winchester the afternoon. You'd be carying me in every sense of the word.

Thanks again.

Dont be such a pussy, Leeds is a top night out, spent a lot of time there in my yoof as had a bird up there and recently went to a stag do up there. Pretty much get anything you want up there and its very safe to go out in.

Thanks again.

Hammy, you should know me, I'm not exactly a 'lads lad' either, and I sure as hell don't join some of the others who go clubbing. last year a few of us found a nice little cafe/bar and had some nice chilled beers whilst watching eveyone else go about their Saturday night business. Some partied, some (magnet) got absolutely sh*tfaced and couldn't play the next day... but each to their own!

The games are only 15 mins each way and there are rolling subs, so fitness isn't as crucial as you might think either.

Anyway, I won't hound you but if you change your mind let me know!

I played it that Cybersaints team with you Minty and frankly I'm gutted that you're now a vet.

I'm nearly 40 now of course so...

I'm only 5 years behind... some of the original lads still call me 'the boy' though. Admittedly I do still look about 14...

No idea who you are btw?! Your username doesn't give it away...

Hmm, I'm definitely a veteran and I'm still training and playing (a bit). If I'm around on my summer UK tour I'll pop along and bring me boots..... nothing like raising the average age with an over 50.;-) It would make a change from playing with 15 year olds!

Hmm, I'm definitely a veteran and I'm still training and playing (a bit). If I'm around on my summer UK tour I'll pop along and bring me boots..... nothing like raising the average age with an over 50.;-) It would make a change from playing with 15 year olds!

Go for it... there are a few mixed teams in the tournament actually!

Hammy, you should know me, I'm not exactly a 'lads lad' either, and I sure as hell don't join some of the others who go clubbing. last year a few of us found a nice little cafe/bar and had some nice chilled beers whilst watching eveyone else go about their Saturday night business. Some partied, some (magnet) got absolutely sh*tfaced and couldn't play the next day... but each to their own!

The games are only 15 mins each way and there are rolling subs, so fitness isn't as crucial as you might think either.

Anyway, I won't hound you but if you change your mind let me know!

Would you like me to ask John if he's interested Minty?

He is currently cycling JOG to LE, they finish on Friday so he may be up for a fresh challenge. Although much my senior he is clearly quite fit still.

Does inclusion require participants to be proper Saints fans? I ask as he doesn't relly follow a football team as such, in fact he spent more time at St Mary's than he did at 'the other place' last season... atually I am confident in saying that he watched The Gills more, and he only went up to Priestfield twice. Didn;t even watch the Cup final!!!

He was a handy and dependable player in his day, we used to complement each other really well with me running round like a headless chicken and him holding the ball up whilst us other posties piled forward.

Actuyally if he says yes then I would go with (to protect him) It would not be the first time he's donned the old red and white stripes actually. When we first moved down this way I used to ride pillion with him to loads of matched down The Dell. I have told him on numerous occasions that just cos he was born in that ****-hole does not mean he has to support them. Playting for The saints might just be his chance to cross the floor.

What is the accomodation, is it in dormotories?

What is the accomodation, is it in dormotories?

Yes, that's where most people stay, on site at Boddington Hall, although some of us are staying in a hotel because we've stayed at Boddy Hall mroe times than we care to remember!

It's up to him. £20 entry fee, and then £65 to stay on site, or I can include him with those of us staying in a hotel (5 so far so 6 would be an ideal number for twin rooms), which would be a touch more.

Yes, that's where most people stay, on site at Boddington Hall, although some of us are staying in a hotel because we've stayed at Boddy Hall mroe times than we care to remember!

It's up to him. £20 entry fee, and then £65 to stay on site, or I can include him with those of us staying in a hotel (5 so far so 6 would be an ideal number for twin rooms), which would be a touch more.

Spoke to him just now and he is very interested. He's very saddle sore but tomorrow has about 45 miles to cycle and he's done it. iirc you did the same ride a couple of years ago, so you'll know what a feat it is. He's being accompanied by Mark Stogs, who you will know very well too...what a couple of old farts eh!

Re the hotel, which one have you gone for and what are their rates Minty please? At the risk of being called a pussy again, is anyone taking their squeeeze with them? I ask as I expect he will have pressue put on him to take a chaperone...pussy.

What are the numbers thus far too? Does everyone travel up by car on the Friday?

We're up to 13 now, so could still do with a couple more.

I've not yet booked the hotel, will probably do so today, but we're currently favouring the Village North Hotel, which is very close to the tournament location on Otley Road, booked through Expedia at about £75 per person for two nights, sharing a twin room.

No other-halves or chaperones coming thus far, but if he needs ones...!?

I'll PM you to discuss details.

I'm only 5 years behind... some of the original lads still call me 'the boy' though. Admittedly I do still look about 14...

No idea who you are btw?! Your username doesn't give it away...

I'd PM you but I'm too tight arsed to pay a fiver :-)

Jim Herbert

(btw, working on a pass for the weekend)

I'd PM you but I'm too tight arsed to pay a fiver :-)

Jim Herbert

(btw, working on a pass for the weekend)

A-ha, Jim, LONG time no speak!

Let me know if you can make it, we've got some of the early players you may well have played with, like Paul Manzotti, Jon Short and John Richardson still playing.

My email address is further up, so contact me on that.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone else interested? I'm being let down left, right and centre at the mo and could really do with some players.

I would have been up for this, as i would have been up for the last two SWF matches and perhaps even a Flemming kick about or two, unfortunately i am currently a cripple until Feb.

:(

What's the departure time Scott?

Fri 23 Jul 2010 BE173 Southampton (SOU) to Leeds Bradford (LBA) 15:40 16:40

Operated by Flybe

Sun 25 Jul 2010 BE176 Leeds Bradford (LBA) to Southampton (SOU) 19:55 21:00

Operated by Flybe

Well I've FB Messaged minty and txt him but no reply, so I may as well stick it on this thread... "im out". I broke a toe on saturday and seriously doubt thatll be healed enough to play football. However, I'd still like to come along in a beckham-esq suited support role :p (or I could just be a gayer and have bruised it badly, but seems unlikely)