Saints 0 Brentford 2 - Post Match Depression

St Chalet

Well we were shockingly bad pretty much all over the park.

Hammond/Schneiderlin are poor together, and getting worse. Predictable, one-paced, going sideways or backwards, not even that good at winning tackles and can't shoot for toffee. We must have won a lot of games despite these two rather than because of them. If Lallana and Oxlade are shut down we have big problems - guess Antonio made a big contribution while he was here.

That said, we'd look much better with Fonte/Chaplow/Barnard. But I think at least two new signings are required in January (in addition to Chaplow). If you can't make three HT changes when you're 2-0 down at home then you've got problems with the depth/quality of the squad.

The worst thing was the lack of stomach for a fight - Leeds came from 2-0 down away to win on Saturday - it can be done but seemingly never by Saints. Having won a few games coming from behind recently, it looks like we're back to the good old days of just throw the towel in meekly.

I have not been a doom & gloom merchant but even as a happy clapper I was very disapointed with that performance as NA said goals do change games & how there keeper saved that header from Guly I just dont know but after that we were poor all over the park.

I think Morgan is a quality player but he was gash Saturday Hammond ditto we really missed chappers energy what was up with Lambo even his body language was poor still not convinced by Guly & Chambo & Lallana very quiet.

Kevin had a mare and the back four were static every player below par no energy no fight no desire not good enough we are going to struggle to make the play offs if we play like that to many times after the poor start we had we need to go on a run & soon

Fair play to Brentford they came with a plan stuck to it & worked very hard to shut us down & deny us time & space it seems teams in this league can suss us out and we have got nobody to come on & change things

Adkins hasn't been here very long but this is his first defeat at SMS along with two draws, 24 points overall from 14 games. Why haven't I criticised him? Because his teams have always played good passing football and because some of the players on the team are incapable of playing this way forcing him to compromise until he can add the players to make a difference. Pardew last season had the very quick Waigo and Antonio plus Lambert scoring, backed up by Lallana and Barnard also scoring. On Saturday Lambert yet again, except for dead ball situations got nowhere near the opponents goal and again provided no evidence that he will be able to score anytime soon. Barnard is out with a hernia, Fonte the only competent centerback suspended. Obviously the missing Chaplow was brought in as Adkins didn't think the center midfield was mobile enough which again it proved. Nobody could argue with Mills out on loan as he was third choice and wouldn't have played. Wotton is not an alternative either. A fit and performing Puncheon is missed but his history of changing clubs regularly doesn't mark him down as being the real answer.

Adkins is going to have to change almost half the present team to get us promotion as we are far too fragile at the moment. Barnard, and Chaplow fit will help plus Fonte back but new athletic, quick players are needed plus a dominant goalkeeper. Schneiderlin seems to view passing the ball as the be all and end all of his game, his positional play shows no intent to attack and his defensive abilities are equally poor. Hammond works hard but is not quick and alongside Schneiderlin gives us a weak, static central midfield. Chamberlain is a seventeen year old with massive potential learning how to play league football and should really be having the odd start, plus regular appearances from the bench, not be the only wide right midfielder.

The squad would be strong if we can bring in the necessary players to add to the present players and get Lambert back on track but until we do we are on a knife edge. It would be wrong to criticise Adkins because all he has is the part of Pardew's squad that is left plus Chaplow. Apart from Richardson, Dickson, Harding, Chaplow, Chamberlain and Guly the rest are pretty slow so we have to rectify that. Lallana isn't quick but more than makes up for that with his general all round ability.

Edited by derry

Hardly we lost that game becuase the whole team were timid, unbothered and pedestrain, not a back bone among them yesterday. The first goal was a howler from KD agreed but the second was the fault of three defenders who between them couldn't keep out one striker. We never even looked remotely like winning yesterday for a whole load of reasons trying to blame KD for the whole thing is a Joke.

The whole team was poor, especially the midfield. That said, swap the goalies around and we would have won that one. I waited for the replays before I commented upon the second goal and it just confirms my original thoughts. That would not have been a goal if Kelvin comes for the ball. I am not looking to replace kelvin, that is up to Adkins. He's a good enough keeper for this division, nowhere near as good as the Brentford keeper and something that needs changing if we get to the CCC.

The whole team was poor, especially the midfield. That said, swap the goalies around and we would have won that one. I waited for the replays before I commented upon the second goal and it just confirms my original thoughts. That would not have been a goal if Kelvin comes for the ball. I am not looking to replace kelvin, that is up to Adkins. He's a good enough keeper for this division, nowhere near as good as the Brentford keeper and something that needs changing if we get to the CCC.

I haven't checked the FA rules on this but I don't think we're allowed to do that;)

Yet this Brentford side that you think would cream themselves at getting any of our players is on the same points as us and beat us easily yesterday.

That has to do surely with their motivation and organisation?

Last year, these same players played regularly in 4-5-1 that suited the best striker in the league, enabled out midfield to dominate games and generally prevented us from losing.

I would like to see our manager shake it up and try the same. Because the free flowing nonsense I have been promised was evident for half an hour against Tranmere and has not been seen since...

That has to do surely with their motivation and organisation?

Last year, these same players played regularly in 4-5-1 that suited the best striker in the league, enabled out midfield to dominate games and generally prevented us from losing.

I would like to see our manager shake it up and try the same. Because the free flowing nonsense I have been promised was evident for half an hour against Tranmere and has not been seen since...

Midanbury Sports or Sholing would have given that Tranmere side a run for it's money.

Tranmere aren't great anyway but that was virtually Tranmere reserves.

Well we were shockingly bad pretty much all over the park.

Hammond/Schneiderlin are poor together, and getting worse. Predictable, one-paced, going sideways or backwards, not even that good at winning tackles and can't shoot for toffee. We must have won a lot of games despite these two rather than because of them. If Lallana and Oxlade are shut down we have big problems - guess Antonio made a big contribution while he was here.

That said, we'd look much better with Fonte/Chaplow/Barnard. But I think at least two new signings are required in January (in addition to Chaplow). If you can't make three HT changes when you're 2-0 down at home then you've got problems with the depth/quality of the squad.

The worst thing was the lack of stomach for a fight - Leeds came from 2-0 down away to win on Saturday - it can be done but seemingly never by Saints. Having won a few games coming from behind recently, it looks like we're back to the good old days of just throw the towel in meekly.

You can see it,I can see it, just a pity those that can do something about it cant.

Can you please now watch a video of every Brentford game this season and watch their goalie play brilliantly every game?

Oh by the way good luck with that....

if he had been our keeper saturday, these critics would be on complaining about his kicking, or that is he only a good shot stopper lol

Adkins - this annoys me...

"We didn't anticipate before the loan window would shut that Lee Holmes and Lee Barnard would be out. That's two players who could have continued and they haven't so that's unfortunate."

WE DIDN'T ****ING ANTICIPATE THAT A GUY THAT HAS SPENT HIS WHOLE CAREER INJURED, AND A GUY WHO BROKE HIS HAND IN A BAR FIGHT MIGHT BE UNAVAILABLE????

Every single Saints fan to a man could have told him that shipping out Puncheon, leaving Holmes as the only backup winger was a high risk strategy. Adkins is clueless.

I'm sorry, yes our record under Adkins is fairly good, and it was just one defeat, but no one can really say they didn't see that result coming based on performances. recently. One loss doesn't make me worried; multiple poor performances makes me worried about this season.

Adkins - this annoys me...

"We didn't anticipate before the loan window would shut that Lee Holmes and Lee Barnard would be out. That's two players who could have continued and they haven't so that's unfortunate."

WE DIDN'T ****ING ANTICIPATE THAT A GUY THAT HAS SPENT HIS WHOLE CAREER INJURED, AND A GUY WHO BROKE HIS HAND IN A BAR FIGHT MIGHT BE UNAVAILABLE????

Every single Saints fan to a man could have told him that shipping out Puncheon, leaving Holmes as the only backup winger was a high risk strategy. Adkins is clueless.

I'm sorry, yes our record under Adkins is fairly good, and it was just one defeat, but no one can really say they didn't see that result coming based on performances. recently. One loss doesn't make me worried; multiple poor performances makes me worried about this season.

Did he really say that? I'm disappointed if he did. I thought Barney has been injuried all season? and Lee Holmes is made of glass has been the whole time he has been here.

Adkins hasn't been here very long but this is his first defeat at SMS along with two draws, 24 points overall from 14 games. Why haven't I criticised him? Because his teams have always played good passing football and because some of the players on the team are incapable of playing this way forcing him to compromise until he can add the players to make a difference. Pardew last season had the very quick Waigo and Antonio plus Lambert scoring, backed up by Lallana and Barnard also scoring. On Saturday Lambert yet again, except for dead ball situations got nowhere near the opponents goal and again provided no evidence that he will be able to score anytime soon. Barnard is out with a hernia, Fonte the only competent centerback suspended. Obviously the missing Chaplow was brought in as Adkins didn't think the center midfield was mobile enough which again it proved. Nobody could argue with Mills out on loan as he was third choice and wouldn't have played. Wotton is not an alternative either. A fit and performing Puncheon is missed but his history of changing clubs regularly doesn't mark him down as being the real answer.

Adkins is going to have to change almost half the present team to get us promotion as we are far too fragile at the moment. Barnard, and Chaplow fit will help plus Fonte back but new athletic, quick players are needed plus a dominant goalkeeper. Schneiderlin seems to view passing the ball as the be all and end all of his game, his positional play shows no intent to attack and his defensive abilities are equally poor. Hammond works hard but is not quick and alongside Schneiderlin gives us a weak, static central midfield. Chamberlain is a seventeen year old with massive potential learning how to play league football and should really be having the odd start, plus regular appearances from the bench, not be the only wide right midfielder.

The squad would be strong if we can bring in the necessary players to add to the present players and get Lambert back on track but until we do we are on a knife edge. It would be wrong to criticise Adkins because all he has is the part of Pardew's squad that is left plus Chaplow. Apart from Richardson, Dickson, Harding, Chaplow, Chamberlain and Guly the rest are pretty slow so we have to rectify that. Lallana isn't quick but more than makes up for that with his general all round ability.

Derry - complete and utter sense - every word!! You are very well versed in the game and players strengths and weaknesses....If Adkins can't see those very valid points and act on them for the next game then shame on him. I like Adkins footballing passing style but he has to improve his selection of players and continue making the same mistakes - particularly in midfield which clearly is not good enough with MS playing his static role not getting forward or back - we are carrying him so might as well put anyone else in there with more passion and more powerful engine to make runs into space and defend ala Chaplow!!!