Saints 0 Brentford 2 - Post Match Depression

St Chalet

For the second time in a month Brighton lose,and low and behold so do the Saints bottlers. To say we were poor,would be being kind.

The team today is miles away from the team that played last season.No passion,no guile,no midfield,no finishers,no one holding the defence together.On that showing we need 4/5 new players at least in january. Well p***ed off,simply not good enough,and for the

record I expect their entire team earns less than one or two of our prima donas. As for the best shot stopper in the league.

Hammond and Schneiderlin were absolute gash in the midfield. We definitely missed Chaplow. Neither of them were demanding the ball and were both ineffective. Lambert's effort today was disgraceful. On one occasion he found himself offside when it took him about 20 seconds to bother himself to get from the edge of their box to the halfway line. He should be dropped, he really needs a kick up the arse.

We definitely need to sign a central midfield player and another forward. Adkins disappointed me today as well. The late substitution was ineffective, as was putting AOC up front and pumping high balls in to him.

Last season,awful as our start was,we had only actually lost 4 games after 19, I think this was our 7th loss this season so far,

which just isn't acceptable. In fact we now have obtained 1 less point than last season at the same stage.WE need to sort out the striking problem straight away, I am sure that AP would have sorted it in the transfer window.

Played without energy, without movement and without ideas.

One of our main problems is still midfield central. Side pass and back. We missed the sort of forward movement that Chaplow gives.

I actually thought Lambert worked hard for the team but his loss of goal scoring form is a big worry.

No need to comment on Davis, today's performance says it all.

Chamberlain is not ready. He is a promising 17 year old who needs to learn. He looked out of place for much of the game today.

Brentford defended well and looked dangerous on the break. We looked good when we went forward but ran out of ideas or made the wrong decision too too often

Very disappointed with a very poor performance.

We do not look like a side battling for promotion. Role on January transfer window.

Not really Championship winning form is it? Lets just hope those above us keep losing and dropping points, then we can make a transfer or two to STRENGTHEN not just add to the squad and go on a big second half push.

No it isn't good. As i said in the other thread it is like Burley has come back. Lambert has turned into Rasiak/John. We rely on him which is great when they are in form, but if they aren't then we struggle. Someone said that is 7 games now without scoring. God knows how many since he scored from free play. We can't play another way. If he is down then take him off, change the system. The tactic changes and subs were just stupid today. The whole point of having subs is so you can either replace injured/knackered people or change the system. We don't seem to make the most of what is on the bench.

The next few games are huge, we have Walsall and Charlton away. Walsall are bottom and Charlton are near the top. But after that we have Huddersfield again. So basically 2 of the next 3 games are against teams in the top 4. If we play like that then we will lose and be pretty much looking at playoffs rather then auto promotion.

Last season,awful as our start was,we had only actually lost 4 games after 19, I think this was our 7th loss this season so far,

which just isn't acceptable. In fact we now have obtained 1 less point than last season at the same stage.WE need to sort out the striking problem straight away, I am sure that AP would have sorted it in the transfer window.

How much does Danny Butterfield sounds like AP on Solent?!?!?

Oh dear, that was depressing

Doesn't anyone care?

It frustrates me when the other side look like they want it more - we should never let that happen

Did anyone see Bart passing balls back to Kelv at half time - he let two go right through his hands!?

That bench was ****ing awful today!

Oxo was poor, think he is burning out too quickly.

Lambert was better, winning lots of headers and keeping the ball well. Isn't going to score many with the lack of service he's getting.

MacDonald and Alexander were fantastic for Brentford, Jaidi and Seaborne didn't know how to deal with them.

Hopefully we see Barnard, Fonte, Martin and Chaplow return to the team against Walsall or we're in trouble.

January needs to be an important month for Saints, we're not good enough to go up at the moment.

No depth to our squad at the moment. Unlike last season no one useful on the bench to change the game though surely today making a change would have helped! Poor poor poor today not sure I think anyone in that team comes out of this with any positive spin! Need a pacey winger/ Striker in as a bare minimum!

Massive changes and massive funds needed in the window. Couldn't go today as broken arm and in plaster still so can't drive until Xmas but plan to be at Hudds and Exeter games.

Out: Morgan S - 250k, Puncheon 250k Millwall, Jaidi - free, Connolly - free, Lambert if we can but who will take him on those wages? Guly back to Italy.

In: Chaplow, Ryan Harley, Le Fondre (all essential if any chance of getting in top 6, let alone top 2), Austin/Madine/Glenn Murray/Vokes - pick any 2 and CB to replace Jaidi.

Get Lambert out of the squad, I'd rather have Jaidi as a target man until Jan and he's played up front for Brum and Bolton when needed. Or give Butterfield a go? Why was Barnard missing?

The Brentford goals were nothing special and they didn't play better.

Richard Lee is a great keeper and make a couple of cracking saves in the first half.

We need to be able to get results when key players (fonte, chaplow and barnard) are out, so investment is 100% needed come January.

Kelvin was shaky and Bart therefore deserves to play next weekend.

I thought Dickson had a great game and was the shining light in our team.

Guly Do Prado was atrocious and HAS to go back to wherever the hell he came from in January.

We missed players A LOT, and need much more strength in depth.

Atleast Nigel was honest on the radio and didn't use the phrase "it's about winning games of football"....swings and roundabouts?

Oh dear, that was depressing

Doesn't anyone care?

It frustrates me when the other side look like they want it more - we should never let that happen

Did anyone see Bart passing balls back to Kelv at half time - he let two go right through his hands!?

Yeah.. Saw that..

Had to laugh

That bench was ****ing awful today!

Oxo was poor, think he is burning out too quickly.

Lambert was better, winning lots of headers and keeping the ball well. Isn't going to score many with the lack of service he's getting.

MacDonald and Alexander were fantastic for Brentford, Jaidi and Seaborne didn't know how to deal with them.

Hopefully we see Barnard, Fonte, Martin and Chaplow return to the team against Walsall or we're in trouble.

January needs to be an important month for Saints, we're not good enough to go up at the moment.

I do wonder what game people see sometimes compared to me. I only saw him run once all game and I was paying special attention to him.

I think everyone agrees that the team's performance was very disappointing but what worries me more was the manager's delay in making any changes until eight minutes before the end. Surely he should have tried Connolly,Doble or Gobern after an hour when it was pretty clear to everyone that the eleven on the pitch weren't getting anywhere.We had nothing to lose. First substitution with eight minutes remaining? I begin to wonder about Adkins.

The team that played today is the one that lacked the commitment to dominate and go for every ball. The team that had that type of player was Brentford. The players that we needed today that play with spirit and endeavour are Fonte, Barnard and Chaplow. We lacked a spine, so the performance was accordingly spineless. I really have lost patience with Lambert and personally would have been happy to have had Connolly on much sooner, even with Doble alongside him. The only forward player who showed some intent was Gully, but he needed Lambert to have been on form to have made an impact. Lallana and Chamberlain both blew hot and cold, regrettably far more cold than hot.

It was obvious that when it became clear that the half-time talk had failed to motivate the players into lifting themselves, that substitutions needed to be made with at least 30 minutes left on the clock, but bringing on Connolly was too little too late.

We could still have been playing now and wouldn't have scored. Frankly, we were that bad.

Where is Dan Harding? Is he injured? He would have done a better job in defence today and I don't ever recall him lacking commitment.

The sooner that we reverse this awful result and start returning to winning habits, the better I will feel about this season.

Went to the game today my thoughts...

Kelvin Davis - 4 - had little to do, but what he did have to do... he did wrong. Surely didn’t help his confidence with 2 poor defenders in front of him

Dickinson - 6.5 -Apart from a lazy pass towards the end, was one of our better players, tried to get forward as often as he could

Jedi - 4 - he just looks so so uncomfortable on the ball, his defensive tactics just seem to be about bundling people over and being a big lump. In the first half he lost out to at least 3 heads to a guy a foot shorter than him

Seaborne - 4 - Looks more composed on the ball than jedi, but defends just as badly, allows players to take a touch and turn before hustling and tackling, too many long balls forward not good enough

Butterfield - 6 - solid enough I suppose

Chamberlin - 5.5 - looked to use his pace as often as he could, but was marked out the game. Missed a great opportunity and went missing for large periods

Spider man - 4 - offered nothing today

Hammond - 4 - tried to lead by example and ran around like a headless chicken... only problem is his run is everyone else’s jog!! If you want to try and impose yourself on games you need an all action midfield that can get around the field quickly, Hammond just isn’t that midfielder. To Slow and to lethargic!

Lallana – 6 - showed flashes but at times is too “Roy of the rovers” gets his head down, runs straight at goal and then into defenders. Sometimes there’s a ball to be played and he just doesn’t play it. So much still to learn

De Ped – 5 – looked interested at times, and completely uninterested at others. Flat footed like most of the team today. We missed barny buzzing around and pulling defenders wide BIG TIME!!

Lambert – 6 – played well today, put the running in, won most flick ons, but subsequently he doesn’t have enough pace to put defenders under pressure quick enough and when he won the headers… no one was there to collect them.

I do wonder what game people see sometimes compared to me. I only saw him run once all game and I was paying special attention to him.

Absolutely correct. We said before the game that perhaps we might see a performance from Lambert today in case his mate at Newcastle might be looking. What a joke that was - Lambert was absolute gash today and not even worthy of a place on the bench. To be fair the entire team was awful, but special criticism to Kelv, the two CB's and the two central midfielders - no energy, no guile, always passing sideways or backwards. The most depressing game this season so far - keep this up Adkins and you'll be gone before January's out. Transfers needed in January big time.

Adkins remains a disappointing appointment.

Such a statement should not be based on the result of a single bad game. but having said that, looking at the overall performance of the team so far, which can at best be described as "under achieving", I share the sentiment.

Jus really did not see that one coming! Why does one monumental cock up knock the stuffing out of a team, as until then their keeper had made 2 blinding saves; then we should have had a stone all penalty, absolute blatant deliberate hand ball - at 1-1 we would have gone on to win.

2nd half after 15 minute noisy encouragement, why not go 4 3 3, go for it!!? Why take Ricky off? Why put a winger in the middle? Why Guly out wide - sorry, plan B terrible.

Did Lallana really hit the post?? Had his worst game for a long time, that hurt us big time....

I also was at the game today as I'm one of the ST holders on here in the Northam and am Gutted and Annoyed after that defeat today and I thought that it looked like that they wanted it more than us although it didn't help that we were missing Key players like Chaplow, Fonte, Barnard etc!

And hopefully this defeat is only a one off and that we should bounce back n beat Walsall next week which I should also be at!

COYR :D!!

We were out played,out sung and totally lacked ideas.

Why wasnt it changed when it was obvious we were not getting anywhere?

Why is it when the team has a rest,we come back like we couldnt care less?

Total waste of time.

Have to agree. While we are talking about our team you have to give a lot of credit to Brentford. They came to play and were very positive. They had the desire to get the ball and tried to go forward. Even when at 0-2 they still went forward. They out classed us in every area and it is a good lesson to our players. If you have the wrong attitude and can't be arsed then you deserve to lose. So well done to Brentford, they did a professional job on us.

I think most fans can except the odd loss from time to

time - but the manner we are losing games is disgraceful compared to how we were last season. And remember the majority of the team are still here from last season.

We've lost 3 games under Adkins. One of which was a few days after he took over. Could you explain to me the manner in which we lost these games so I can form a better opinion? Start with the 2-0 loss to Huddersfield and the 3-2 loss to Carlisle.

We've lost 3 games under Adkins. One of which was a few days after he took over. Could you explain to me the manner in which we lost these games so I can form a better opinion? Start with the 2-0 loss to Huddersfield and the 3-2 loss to Carlisle.

I guess he means under Pardew we were excellent in the way we lost games. Presumably that is why Newcastle were so keen to have him. I miss those superb defeats........................

utter utter crap.

worst I have seen Saints play at home for a while.

hopefully a one off bad day but some serious strengthening needed in Jan.

only bright spot was hearing Pompey manager speak about their financial problems.

We were utter crap!

So you didn't watch Saints 0 - Swindon 3 ?

Toss up between which performance was worse, but at least we only conceded 2 today. Most comical moment was our throw-in near the end that went straight to their unmarked striker. LMFAO.

sad to say, but adkins is not the answer. he is a physio. he may be a good coach, but he is totally and utterly inept as a manager. and i thought he was meant to replacing the 'long ball' approach of pardew...? all we did every time we got the ball today was lump it high and long to an out of form lambert. there is no way that we would have fewer points if pardew was still here, though i know he was limited too.

sad to say, but adkins is not the answer. he is a physio. he may be a good coach, but he is totally and utterly inept as a manager. and i thought he was meant to replacing the 'long ball' approach of pardew...? all we did every time we got the ball today was lump it high and long to an out of form lambert. there is no way that we would have fewer points if pardew was still here, though i know he was limited too.
Bit harsh! The team he put on the pitch should have been good enough to perform better than that, and I doubt they had specific instructions to lump it. Looking at the bench it was difficult pick a player that could make any difference to that shower of sh1te.

Saints...This is your final warning.......

Nigel FFS sort it out or you will be given to the Salvation Army for xmas.

I am not impressed...Someone on this forum promised soooo much after tearing strips off Pards every week/day.

Have I been misled about our Nigels greatness...????

PS They all need a kick up the backside...pleeeese..

I think everyone agrees that the team's performance was very disappointing but what worries me more was the manager's delay in making any changes until eight minutes before the end. Surely he should have tried Connolly,Doble or Gobern after an hour when it was pretty clear to everyone that the eleven on the pitch weren't getting anywhere.We had nothing to lose. First substitution with eight minutes remaining? I begin to wonder about Adkins.

Yes I agree I`m afraid bloody poor show

Saints...This is your final warning.......

Nigel FFS sort it out or you will be given to the Salvation Army for xmas.

I am not impressed...Someone on this forum promised soooo much after tearing strips off Pards every week/day.

Have I been misled about our Nigels greatness...????

PS They all need a kick up the backside...pleeeese..

Why is it his final warning? He's lost 3 games. THREE GAMES. (One three days after he took over). Grow up. Santa won't be coming to see spoilt children this year.

Brian Clough's approach to team building summed us up perfectly today. Cloughie had a good goalie, a good centre half, a good centre mid and a good striker as a spine, then fitted the rest in round them. Today Kelvin had a bad day, Fonte was out, Chaplow was out, Rickie is still not at the races. Bang goes our spine.

What concerns me more than the performance is Adkins reluctance to change things when it was clear we weren't getting anywhere.

All teams have off days, its the reaction that matters after a day like today.

Why is it his final warning? He's lost 3 games. THREE GAMES. (One three days after he took over). Grow up. Santa won't be coming to see spoilt children this year.

Because I am a soft touch and was led to believe Nigel was faaar better coach/manager than good old Pards..

So benefit of the doubt....hence reference to xmas being the red card day if results do not improve..

Santa always come to see me:rolleyes:..hopefully on Boxing day when we stuff Exeter....Please Santa..:)

So you are not worried by that performance?

Something has been missing all season, not sure what but we seem to have an arrogance based on reputations rather than current performances.

Big concern for me today was the bench, no one on it, imo, who could come on and change game.