Saints 0 Brentford 2 - Post Match Depression

St Chalet

Yer, move on, don't learn, bury your head in the sand etc. That way we never learn and we keep making the same mistakes over and over. FFS !

The same mistakes? From the guy who creams himself over Hoddle? Grow up.

What worries me is a lot of posters on here think the January transfer window is the answer to a lot of our problems - it is not that simple.

I can honestly say I never saw such an abject disorganised perfomance like that under Pardew.

We seem to be going backwards.

You must have missed a few of those games then....

Funnily enough I was sat at SMS wtching the match and I thought of your post on the match thread.

Now you are right that is funny/strange. If you take a look at my posts this season you will see I have been 100% positive when it comes to scorelines and thinking Saints will win. This last week I just feel that things are going to go wrong! I hope this feeling does not last and I am sure a win will change all this..... hopefully Walsall away!

What worries me is a lot of posters on here think the January transfer window is the answer to a lot of our problems - it is not that simple.

I can honestly say I never saw such an abject disorganised perfomance like that under Pardew.

We seem to be going backwards.

Swindon away, August 2009, was equally as pathetic.

Swindon at home, Tranmere away, Wycombe away.

Swindon at home was bad but not as bad as today, Tranmere was the one we lost to peno that all the highlights proved was never a peno and Wycombe away was a draw so hardly as bad as losing at 2-0 at SMS today. There where bad results under Pardew but I never felt like the players weren't trying one dimensional and lacking in immagination prehaps but always trying. To day the players looked like they really didn't care and that p isses me off.

taken from Nigels piece in the match programme

The phrase 'hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard' is etched in the players mind

I'm the only one who finds that slightly ironic given the performance the players turned in today?

Probably yes as there's no way you could say the players didn't work hard today. They were just predictable and disjointed.

Probably yes as there's no way you could say the players didn't work hard today. They were just predictable and disjointed.

really? the number of players who just gave up on chasing balls down, the almost complete lack of tackling the strolling around the pitch like it was trainning game the lack of movement at throw ins all looked like a bunch of players not working hard enough to me. Compare the way the Brentford players closed down and hustled us that was working hard.

Having just watched the highlights on the football league show, I can safely say that was hideous! No guts, no passion, No imagination. We deserved nothing and got it.

Davis 3- That first goal was pathetic, I didn't realise the guy was 25 yards out when he hit it! A mistake was always on the cards

Dickson 6- Our best player and still was only average!

Jaidi 5- Tries hard, but past it. lost too many headers to smaller players and still can't kick a football

Seabourne 2- That was possibly one of the worst performances I've seen in a Saints shirt. How he started ahead of Martin I'll never know

Butterfield 5- Tried hard, but sadly is too slow and predictable.

Chamberlain 5- Quiet game, did well, and was unlucky a few occasions, but game seemed to pass him by

Lallana 5- Tries to do to much with the ball sometimes. His skill and first touch however, are out of this league

Lambert 3- Is this seriously the same bloke that scored 31 league goals last season???

Guly 4- Non-existant in the second half, seemed to be playing right-wing.

Connolly - Didn't have time to make an impact

please note, The reason why I have missed out Schneiderlin and Hammond is because we hand no midfield today!

I have never rated Davis as he is purely a linebound shotstopper. The biggest criticism I have is that he shows poor judgement and is flaky. He doesn't come off his line to dominate the box and undermines his defence by indecision. I will be glad when he is gone and we have a proper goalkeeper. At fault today and showed all his shortcomings without the shotstopping.

The central midfield was appalling. The last thing we need is two pedestrian negative players. Schneiderlin is a luxury we can't afford in the face of mobile athleticism. His sole thought is to unload the ball and move sideways. We need athleticism, pace, forward driving movement and aggression from our midfield not comfort zone meaningless, slow, square and backward buildups allowing defences to consolidate.

We were dominated today by an aggressive, athletic, hard working side but with a decent goalkeeper might still have got something out of the game. IMO we need a keeper, centre back, two central midfielders, two strikers, and two wide players. We are a very slow side, lacking pace, so from now on it should be a requirement that any player we sign to get us out of the Championship (stated aim of club's transfer strategy.) must be athletic and quick.

No surprise to see you not assign any criticism to Adkins derry. You were a vocal critic of Pardew who has gone and beaten Liverpool in his first game in charge of a Premiership club.

You lauded Adkins, but he has not shown why he deserves your praise yet.

If the players are not motivated in the first half (why should that even be so) I expect him to fix it at half time in the dressing room. I can accept losing matches, but I hate seeing us lose matches without even bothering to turn up. The manager can't change the players at will but he should be able to change their attitudes.

Very worrying. I really miss Pardew, I think we would be doing better with him at the helm, before he was sacked I expected us to be promoted. Now, I just hope we can be, the expectation has gone.

Did not know that Brentford have lost 1 of there last 8 in the league!! They are the form team and their away form is brilliant. Have won their last 3 away games on the trot.

I do not think the scores went to badly for us yesterday really, the first time I have really looked at them. Brighton losing (ok to Huddersfield), Bournemouth and Carlisle losing. Colchester drawing at home to Yeovil, and MK Dons losing to Notts County. It could have been much worse. Charlton will win today though which will leave us 7 points off second!!

But at the end of the day we need to put a good run together and after yesterday I cannot see this happening. Walsall away then off to Charlton!

Never mind two away games on the trot next.....and we're very, very good away from home. I expect some posters to have ended it all by the time both games are finished, others to be in police cells after trying to assassinate Nigel Adkins and still others to be supporting Manchester United or Chelsea.

Meanwhile the rest of us take stock and sit it out....at some time our fortunes will change for the better.

Nicola this is why Saints fans are generally pessimistic by the way!

You must have missed a few of those games then....

No go to all home games and quite a few away inc Walsall next week.....unfortunately.

Sorry that was'nt us just playing badly yesterday that was a team who had no organisation or nous - in short we looked like a team who haven't got a manager. The last time we looked so inept was at Bristol Rovers under Dodd and Gorman.

My main reaction is that we (including NC) had better get used to the idea of another season in League 1.

Everything has gone totally pear-shaped since November last year, IMO. It became clear last season that we couldnt sustain the form to overcome the 10pt deduction, and just like with Burley's play-off season, it has become clear we had a window of oportunity and have missed it - again.

In Fonte Barnard Chaplow and Richardson we were missing 4 key players. Yesterday proved that we have no strength in depth - we had nothing on the bench - and if we don't put out our first 11 we are very average for this League.

Where were Mills, Puncheon and Wotton to come off the bench. It looks like we've let players go before we've replaced them.

Morgan and Oxlade both looked like they had January moves on their minds

Never mind two away games on the trot next.....and we're very, very good away from home. I expect some posters to have ended it all by the time both games are finished, others to be in police cells after trying to assassinate Nigel Adkins and still others to be supporting Manchester United or Chelsea.

Meanwhile the rest of us take stock and sit it out....at some time our fortunes will change for the better.

Nicola this is why Saints fans are generally pessimistic by the way!

Not at all I have a lot of faith in NC and the work he is doing. A brave move with the manager, and until yesterday it seemed to be paying off quite well. I do think there are things going on behind closed doors at SMS, but this is just a hunch!

I have to say without certain players we look a tad ordinary! Ricky isnt firing and with Barney out we are woefully short up front! Chappers adds a touch a strength and purpose in the middle, hammond just doesnt do it for me and Morgan just isnt suited to this league! without Jose, we lack direction as showed yesterday! 3 players in jan def!!

We badly missed Barnard's energy and movement up front, plus Schneiderlin was his usual pointless self there is so much more to being a midfelder than just having a nice touch and doing the odd good pass.

You also have to ask why have we offloaded Bignall and Puncheon - is money really that tight?

I don't get to many games but yesterday was possibly the worst I had seen saints play!

I couldn't believe they had 14 days to prepare for that shower of crap. They looked like they were a team that had been plucked from the crowd 5 mins before kick off.

OC looked like the most threat and Lallana woke up in the 2nd half. But no-one looked lime they knew what they were doing. Were they even told a game plan?

NC changed things in the second half and with a bit more effort we took a little more control but the only time they looked comfortable was when they played in-effective hoof ball. They were obviously told to quit that for the second half but looked like they had no idea of how to do things differently.

Won't be winning any leagues playing like that so manager through to toilet cleaner and everyone in between needs a good kick up the ass IMO!

An utterly woeful performance, worst since Adkins has been in charge and took me back to those awfall displays in between managers earlier this season. Hands tied behind his back can be his only slight let off because of all the changes. Missed Barny terribly as he is our only potent force up front.

Wholesale changes needed in January.. and I think there will be some. Problem is we have a lot of games before then.

Remember this is a squad inherited by Adkins. I hope he has a number of potential signings in January, maybe he will make a raid on Scunny. Personally I think it may be time to say a thank you and goodbye to Morgan, Guly and Jaidi. We need another CB, CM and a quality CF (Austin maybe?), also a pacy wide palyer. It's time to drop Ricky I'm afraid.

The best thing about yesterday's game was the 10 minute chant in the second half, a shame the players didn't respond.

No go to all home games and quite a few away inc Walsall next week.....unfortunately.

Sorry that was'nt us just playing badly yesterday that was a team who had no organisation or nous - in short we looked like a team who haven't got a manager. The last time we looked so inept was at Bristol Rovers under Dodd and Gorman.

That's what worried me. I certainly don't think its right to get on Adkins back, he's done well so far and it would achieve absolutely nothing. However, it wasn't just a bad defeat, it wasn't just a bad performance, it looked like a group of players who weren't going anywhere this season, teams that ges promoted have a bit of momentum about them, they grind out results when playing badly, they look hungry. We didn't have any of those things, no spark there at all. I still think we'll probably go up, but with the resources we hae at our disposal, it really shouldn't be this hard!

Remember this is a squad inherited by Adkins. I hope he has a number of potential signings in January, maybe he will make a raid on Scunny. Personally I think it may be time to say a thank you and goodbye to Morgan, Guly and Jaidi. We need another CB, CM and a quality CF (Austin maybe?), also a pacy wide palyer. It's time to drop Ricky I'm afraid.

The best thing about yesterday's game was the 10 minute chant in the second half, a shame the players didn't respond.

I enjoyed seeing the Brentford player who managed to tackle himself whilst shooting - sadly, that was the highlight of the match for me.

I've left it this long to try and compose something sensible rather than a knee jerk reaction.

Yesterday wasn't a bad day at the office, we didn't even turn up, to be honest. Brentford came to harry us and get stuck in. That they did and they deserved the points. I'm even thinking that they would have been surprised at how easy it seemed compared to all the info they had on us which may have indicated otherwise.

We clearly lack a strength in depth and with two strikers out of sorts our fire power, as all season, was woeful. I'm not confident in Jaidi, he is good in the air but once the ball is at his feet and he has a man on I begin to get jittery. His experience sees him through most games but how long can we depend on just that? Martin is my pick, even without his experience, and I'd like to see him next to JF with Dan Seaborne as back up. Chaplow was sorely missed, I love the guy's attitude but wish he'd not get booked so much. I still can't figure Hammond out though, lot's of energy and running about but what does he actually achieve?

We came away rather disappointed.

Hopefully a few decent signings to strengthen in January?

Just a few points for discussion, I'm sure others may differ.

That's what worried me. I certainly don't think its right to get on Adkins back, he's done well so far and it would achieve absolutely nothing. However, it wasn't just a bad defeat, it wasn't just a bad performance, it looked like a group of players who weren't going anywhere this season, teams that ges promoted have a bit of momentum about them, they grind out results when playing badly, they look hungry. We didn't have any of those things, no spark there at all. I still think we'll probably go up, but with the resources we hae at our disposal, it really shouldn't be this hard!

I felt we were playing well up until they scored the second. By then the ref had waved away what looked (albeit from the Itchen South) like a solid penalty and had a run of rather one-sided decisions, which led up to their second goal, which was almost as soft as the first.

I don't think our players recovered from that, which is a worry because we are going to get a lot more abysmal referees this season and there's always a chance that we'll let in a soft / unlucky goal. If they wan't to get promoted they need the mental strength to dig in when they aren't getting the rub of the green.

Well, as a season ticket holder, I have also been to all of the home games under Pardew and your memory of some really dire performances under him seems to be a bit more selective than mine, or else we just share a different opinion like many others who watch the same game and see it differently.

Gutted.

No chance this team will promote in my opinion. Adkins needs to do some surgery this winter and fast. The team needs to be his not Pardews, which wouldve promoted under APs leadership but sadly he 'made mistakes' as he mentioned yesterday on interview and got the sack, probably rightly by NC.

I wish we had Pards still, I wish we therefore had his team being reinforced this Christmas. We havent, which is Pardews fault to be fair.

Until Adkins puts his team together we're staying in League 1. I simply cannot see us promoting this year, only losing our best players due to frustration and then a further rebuild. I think Adkins can do it, but sadly he'll need time. We have no choice, keep supporting and keep our fingers crossed until Adkins can make an impression, but I do hope its sooner rather than later.

NC will also need to be kept in his box if Adkins fails this season. Consistant management and funding is the key, always was and always will be. We have the funding still (we think), now patience is needed to allow consistency.

Gutted.

No chance this team will promote in my opinion. Adkins needs to do some surgery this winter and fast. The team needs to be his not Pardews, which wouldve promoted under APs leadership but sadly he 'made mistakes' as he mentioned yesterday on interview and got the sack, probably rightly by NC.

I wish we had Pards still, I wish we therefore had his team being reinforced this Christmas. We havent, which is Pardews fault to be fair.

Until Adkins puts his team together we're staying in League 1. I simply cannot see us promoting this year, only losing our best players due to frustration and then a further rebuild. I think Adkins can do it, but sadly he'll need time. We have no choice, keep supporting and keep our fingers crossed until Adkins can make an impression, but I do hope its sooner rather than later.

NC will also need to be kept in his box if Adkins fails this season. Consistant management and funding is the key, always was and always will be. We have the funding still (we think), now patience is needed to allow consistency.

I think they will relegate if not careful.

That result yesterday has been coming. We're just not playing good football - we haven't for a long time. We'd really found our stride at the end of last season, and now that free-flowing football is nowhere to be seen.

And yet if you take the benchmark performances from last season, Huddersfield at home or Norwich away the team isn't all that much different. Just Puncheon missing with Semi and Antonio in most cases. We have lost our way and yet it's basically the same players.

Although I did think that Semi added a lot going forward (and very little at the back). The one crucial difference is that defences feared Lambert (and Antonio) .Now he's just a cardboard cutout of the old RL and defences know that, it gives them space,it allows the midfield to get forward and stifle ours, our ful backs aren't getting forward as much allowing theirs to do so.Now I know it's not really on topic but when AP sent on Nile Ranger yesterday everything changed, he just kept on hammering into the Liverpool back line, they were scared crapless,thus it gave Carroll time and space to do his thing.If you don't percute the opposition's defence then you will not win, it's as easy as that.

Having just watched the highlights on the football league show, I can safely say that was hideous! No guts, no passion, No imagination. We deserved nothing and got it.

You were able to assess all of those players based on 48 seconds of highlights??? That's truly impressive. In reality I agree yesterday was as poor as it gets and typical of Saints in the build up to Christmas period. But it is only one result against the team with the best away record in the league. If the team are good enough they will bounce back next week. If we are good enough as fans, we won't over react to the scrore....

Bit harsh! The team he put on the pitch should have been good enough to perform better than that, and I doubt they had specific instructions to lump it. Looking at the bench it was difficult pick a player that could make any difference to that shower of sh1te.

Absolutely. Sometimes the payers are to blame. It is noticable that without Chappers there is no drive in midfield.

Silver Lining.

Found an elderly chapwalking around who'd lost his car so gave him a ride. Didn't realise when he first jumped in but (here's the sl) by the time he told us he was from Brentford we were almost at the Itchen Bridge and he was completely lost. That's when it dawned on me that the car park he was describing was down the other end of Brittania Road.

he did tell us that they were playing really well away recently and in his opinion the key was that they were taking the game to the opposition; we are not used to that are we. Lessons learnt hopefully.

PS

What was with the singing yesterday? I was dumbfounded. Bee's fans were very good imo with a good range not limited to the usual Pompey and Redknapp humourless stuff, they really stuck it to young Dickson didn't they.

Edited by hamster

So you didn't watch Saints 0 - Swindon 3 ?

Toss up between which performance was worse, but at least we only conceded 2 today. Most comical moment was our throw-in near the end that went straight to their unmarked striker. LMFAO.

Saints throw ins in a nutshell (and generally have been this way for YEARS ... YES YEARS) .. Saints player has the ball on the touchline .. nobody bothered to make space to receive .. eventually somebody saunters over to the by line by which time he is surrounded and outnumbered by the opposition and we lose possession .. no **** Saints .. has anybody heard of work rate, speed of thought? .. its the same in open play .. we take so long to attack that by the time we have stopped passing it backwards and bloody sideways and decided to go forward the opposition are all ready for us .. we don't turn defenders enough - all the play is in front of them and too predictable

also the "midfield" line and the the back line are far too close leaving a huge gap between midfield and the forward line = no support for the front men (whoever they are)