Cool slow version of OWTS

niceandfriendly

I know this has been posted sometime last year but thought it was worth a re-post for those who may have missed it. It's worth watching until the end.

I was reminded of this today (yesterday) at the Notts County game when the attempted slow OWTS didn't quite work successfully again because some fans start clapping one version too early, but it wasn't terrible.

Also, it's good to see we have support all over Europe. :D

I agree it sounds really good like that, and I dont like the fact someone is better at singing out song than us ! Its not as slow as our 'slow version' but their faster version is actually singable rather than just losing it in a noise of claps and bangs on the backboards !

Maybe we should go and support our u-11's like these nutters!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib70m35Pc5Q&feature=related

I know this has been posted sometime last year but thought it was worth a re-post for those who may have missed it. It's worth watching until the end.

I was reminded of this today (yesterday) at the Notts County game when the attempted slow OWTS didn't quite work successfullyagain because some fans start clapping one version too early, but it wasn't terrible.

Also, it's good to see we have support all over Europe. :D

I checked this out some years ago and the origin of the song is quite interesting.

The "original " is an American Gospel hymn, but the modern lyrics are credited to a Mr. Presley (NO-not him, though he did record it in 1960's).

Luther G. Presley (1887-1974), a black musician from Arkansas USA wrote the words in 1937, and it was popularised by Louis Armstrongs Jazz Band. Later version were recorded by Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, also Elvis no relation (as above) but also by a fellow called Tony Sheridan, who was singer with a (then) unknown Liverpool group later called ..The Beatles !

Some of the older Saints faithful have said they can recall fans singing it when the post war football began (1946) and I recall we sung it regularly in my schoolboy days in the 1960's, since when it has been copied, and often changed it to ..(When the REDs / WHITES go marching, etc )..but for most people it remains SFC's theme song, especially as Southampton St.Mary's original name ...was abbreviated to " the SAINTS " about 100 years ago.

Fun to see that Stockholm's Djurgården fans have taken it up - even if they can't keep time properly.

Edited by david in sweden

It should be two times slow and then into the quick. 42 and a part of 41 do it two times slowly, while the *****s in 40, 39 and 38 do it after the first verse. The song should involve no banging of the backboards whatsoever. **** knows how we can start everyone doing it properly though.

I checked this out some years ago and the origin of the song is quite interesting.

The "original " is an American Gospel hymn, but the modern lyrics are credited to a Mr. Presley (NO-not him, though he did record it in 1960's).

Luther G. Presley (1887-1974), a black musician from Arkansas USA wrote the words in 1937, and it was popularised by Louis Armstrongs Jazz Band. Later version were recorded by Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, also Elvis no relation (as above) but also by a fellow called Tony Sheridan, who was singer with a (then) unknown Liverpool group later called ..The Beatles !

Some of the older Saints faithful have said they can recall fans singing it when the post war football began (1946) and I recall we sung it regularly in my schoolboy days in the 1960's, since when it has been copied, and often changed it to ..(When the REDs / WHITES go marching, etc )..but for most people it remains SFC's theme song, especially as Southampton St.Mary's original name ...was abbreviated to " the SAINTS " about 100 years ago.

Fun to see that Stockholm's Djurgården fans have taken it up - even if they can't keep time properly.

I remember Louis Armstrong's version was played every week at the Dell, I remember being suprised that everyone new the words to an old jazz song!

I worry about how music is being taught in schools now judging by how out of time the little kids at the back of block 38 were banging the backboards yesterday! All this high speed OWTSGMI really wrecks the song. Theres no build up and by the time you realise what song people are trying to get going you're in the middle of some overly quick ear ache!

One of the most disappointing things about being a saints supporter, is not the fact we always let young talent leave, or we have always looked for the cheap option to do things. It really is the fact that spurs can sing our song better than us. That is down to us as supporters and is truly embarrassing.

One of the most disappointing things about being a saints supporter, is not the fact we always let young talent leave, or we have always looked for the cheap option to do things. It really is the fact that spurs can sing our song better than us. That is down to us as supporters and is truly embarrassing.

Agreed. I was more disappointed with the singing yesterday than the result. I mean, we're bound to draw and lose games here and there, but the singing - that's what football is all about, isn't it?

Agreed. I was more disappointed with the singing yesterday than the result. I mean, we're bound to draw and lose games here and there, but the singing - that's what football is all about, isn't it?

Agree with this. At the Dell it was often sung by all. I sit in the Kingsland and we almost always sing on the second cycle when it goes round twice at normal or slow pace. Unfortunately, this is such a rare occurance nowadays. I'm genuinely starting to hate the Northam's version of it now - they are the ones that people look to to start the songs, but they often bugger it up, significantly contributing to the rather rubbish atmosphere in the ground (compared to The Dell). It's a shame.

Agree with this. At the Dell it was often sung by all. I sit in the Kingsland and we almost always sing on the second cycle when it goes round twice at normal or slow pace. Unfortunately, this is such a rare occurance nowadays. I'm genuinely starting to hate the Northam's version of it now - they are the ones that people look to to start the songs, but they often bugger it up, significantly contributing to the rather rubbish atmosphere in the ground (compared to The Dell). It's a shame.

Do you mean the slow or the super fast "I took to much speed before the game" version?

I quite often try to get the slow one going, another lad did so too yesterday, but once it gets going and block 41 get hold of it, they speed it up. It is getting on my wick big time.

Do you mean the slow or the super fast "I took to much speed before the game" version?

I quite often try to get the slow one going, another lad did so too yesterday, but once it gets going and block 41 get hold of it, they speed it up. It is getting on my wick big time.

If it's any consolation. I sit in block 41 and it annoys me too. As do the people who only sing the la la la la bit of Lamberts song. That is all.

I may have been the other lad, was in the back row in block 42, at start of second half.

the slow is ok, the fast is **** (and sounds it). Personally, I feel the normal, (Dell) way is easily the best and appeals to all generations. If there were more fans in the Northam it would probably be ok, but because it only covers a third / half of the northam, the **** version, coupled with the **** noise level, just makes the ground a little embarrassing.

The best thing Cortese could do this summer is plan a way to move the away supporters safely to another part of the ground to entice the Northam disperse to a larger area and not the 'corner' they are in. I recognise that the only reason the away supporters are there is due to it's proximity to the road, but, using ££ there must be a way to move things round.

I agree it sounds really good like that, and I dont like the fact someone is better at singing out song than us ! Its not as slow as our 'slow version' but their faster version is actually singable rather than just losing it in a noise of claps and bangs on the backboards !

Maybe we should go and support our u-11's like these nutters!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib70m35Pc5Q&feature=related

Anybody else notice they are playing a Pompey team playing in that video? Surely the biggest crowd those kids will ever play in front of in a Pompey shirt!

Here is a clip that really proves the point about the Northam.

The Northam start singing the slow version... and then others constantly trying to start the clapping far too early and the song simply gets lost and fades away!!!

It actually starts off really well, and the fast clappers try on a couple occasions to hijack and speed it up.

sigh!!

.................... but also by a fellow called Tony Sheridan, who was singer with a (then) unknown Liverpool group later called ..The Beatles !

I have a copy of that record under the stairs, double A side with 'My Bonny', recorded in Hamburg it is actually the Beatles first ever record I believe.