Would this current Saints side survive in league 1?

gjphilsaint

Having looked at and contributed to the "Would you swap with Leicester" thread, how well do you think our current squad/management team fare in League 1?

My opinion... no better with results, still outmuscled and out fought.. and with less bums on seats at SMS to boot.

Seems like if things dont change soon we may get to find out.. well for half a season at least until we go buuuuuust!!!

When we got relegated from the Prem many people said similar to the above responses regarding the Championship.

Never pre judge. We will have plenty of time to find out next year. Look at Forest, they made League 1 look awfully difficult.

as we are currently surviving (out of bottom 3) both in league and current form tables -why wouldn't we survive a league lower?

Not quite true. Overall we are 20th but for the month of october we are actually last form wise. The win at Doncaster and Norwich means we are winning the mini league. However we can't go on expecting us to have the luck we had in those games and expect the teams around us to keep losing. We have to sort out our home form as that is also the 2nd worst.

I hear a lot of the same people talking like they were last season about saying we were not in trouble when we were 14th and had at that time the worst 2 months form wise. This season is looking like last season just the difference being we played crap and picked up wins. Now were playing crap and losing.

How about trying to survive in League One with a 15 point deduction for Administration ?

It's arrant nonsense to suggest it would be easy , football's never easy - just ask any Leeds or Nottingham Forrest fan .

exactly it is the arrogance that flows from the top, afterall we did really well against Rotherham

Let's look at the reality of Saints. WE ARE A CLUB THAT IS GOING TO BE RELEGATED BECAUSE WE ARE UTTER UTTER W4NK. Based on this accurate analysis we are going into admin (with the points deduction) so next season we'll be very lucky indeed not be relegated to League 2.

How about trying to survive in League One with a 15 point deduction for Administration ?

It's arrant nonsense to suggest it would be easy , football's never easy - just ask any Leeds or Nottingham Forrest fan .

that would be different - 15 points down and administrator selling everyone, we would be struggling.

Having looked at and contributed to the "Would you swap with Leicester" thread, how well do you think our current squad/management team fare in League 1?

My opinion... no better with results, still outmuscled and out fought.. and with less bums on seats at SMS to boot.

Seems like if things dont change soon we may get to find out.. well for half a season at least until we go buuuuuust!!!

League 1 midtable at best IMHO - but arguably could be improved to playoffs with a real manager who understands the league like Pearson perhaps!?

We'll find out this time next season won't we Mr Lowe?

were definitely be able to find out next season If things don't change drastically soon, i can see us in another last day relegation fight :(

A slight overreaction I think.

Also the answer to the original (and incredibly stupid) question "would we survive league 1?" is yes, obviously. Although the question doesn't really deserve to be dignified with an answer.

With a competent defence we would be comfortably in the top half of the championship.

A slight overreaction I think.

Also the answer to the original (and incredibly stupid) question "would we survive league 1?" is yes, obviously. Although the question doesn't really deserve to be dignified with an answer.

With a competent defence we would be comfortably in the top half of the championship.

Like an earlier posting said this smacks of when we came down from the Prem. Give me some good reasons why we would survive, and if they happen to be, solid defence, forget it, if it happens to be "we will play teams off the park" forget that because they arent working here. perhaps you could play the "Joker" being... "FFS we ARE Southampton and we spent umpteen years in the Prem.." all of which would not wash....

Like an earlier posting said this smacks of when we came down from the Prem. Give me some good reasons why we would survive, and if they happen to be, solid defence, forget it, if it happens to be "we will play teams off the park" forget that because they arent working here. perhaps you could play the "Joker" being... "FFS we ARE Southampton and we spent umpteen years in the Prem.." all of which would not wash....

no you could play the obvious theory that we are surviving in CCC, Div 1 IS and easier league as it has worse teams so it is obvious we would (unless it went along with administation, points deductions etc) not difficult -think there are some drama queens on here after last two defeats.

When we got relegated from the Prem many people said similar to the above responses regarding the Championship.

Never pre judge. We will have plenty of time to find out next year. Look at Forest, they made League 1 look awfully difficult.

Did they?

Forest were in and around the top four (often the top two) of that division week in, week out for three years.

Failing at the play off stages is not finding "surviving" in a league "awfully difficult".

The question is "would this current side survive in League one?" and the answer is, frankly, "yes". Why people have to make out that a simple judgement like that is "arrogant" or "unrealistic" baffles me.

The only teams I can think of that went straight down from CCC to L2 are Bradford, Grimsby and WimbleMKDons. And do you lot seriously think we have more in common with them than Forest or Leicester?

Come on, everyone, grow up a bit.

Did they?

Forest were in and around the top four (often the top two) of that division week in, week out for three years.

Failing at the play off stages is not finding "surviving" in a league "awfully difficult".

The question is "would this current side survive in League one?" and the answer is, frankly, "yes". Why people have to make out that a simple judgement like that is "arrogant" or "unrealistic" baffles me.

The only teams I can think of that went straight down from CCC to L2 are Bradford, Grimsby and WimbleMKDons. And do you lot seriously think we have more in common with them than Forest or Leicester?

Come on, everyone, grow up a bit.

agree, as put in the last day relegation battle thread -current form has us -I think it was 15th, I personally (listed all reasons in that thread) think it is unlikely we will be in bottom 3 at the end of this season -so why would this team not survive in an easier league?

Last time I put that someone, who clearly doesn't understand the principal of a league structure, didn't realise Div 1 is an easier league than CCC -perhaps they think premiership is dead easy?!!

Two defeats doesn't make us worst side in lower league, just as the short unbeaten run and couple of victories before didn't make us a champions league side!

The teams we would play in league 1 would be different to the teams we play in the championship, and would be of a lower standard.

So far we have been very inconsistent, playing some great football but lacking the experience to kill games off and our defence has been awful as you mention. If we can sort out the defence we could finish in the top half comfortably. To say we would not survive league 1 is beyond stupidity and I'm sure you don't actually believe that, you're just overreacting to a couple of very bad results.

rotherham game that was easy wasnt it we played them of the park didnt we

We have been inconsistent and very poor at times but to suggest we would be relegated from league 1 is beyond stupidity. But then no one with half a brain actually believes that would happen anyway, they're being 'drama queens' as someone said earlier.

rotherham game that was easy wasnt it we played them of the park didnt we

do you understand how leagues work?

The top division is the premiership, then CCC, then div 1 etc. To move up you need to be one of the best teams in the division and win, what is called promotion. It you are one of the very worst teams in your division you get relegated to a lower division.

This means that the better teams and the hardest league is the premiership. The leagues get progressively worse as you go down.

It is possible for teams in lower leagues to beat a team in a higher league. This doesn't mean that they are a better team and take their place, this happens in cups.

Div 1 is a lower division than CCC, it is a fact due to the league system that therefore the teams are of lower standard and the league is easier. There can be exceptions to this, e.g the team at the top one year who will swap with the team at the bottom of the higher division.

A team that is not in a relegation position is the CCC would not therefore be in a relegation position in an easier league.

do you understand how leagues work?

The top division is the premiership, then CCC, then div 1 etc. To move up you need to be one of the best teams in the division and win, what is called promotion. It you are one of the very worst teams in your division you get relegated to a lower division.

This means that the better teams and the hardest league is the premiership. The leagues get progressively worse as you go down.

It is possible for teams in lower leagues to beat a team in a higher league. This doesn't mean that they are a better team and take their place, this happens in cups.

Div 1 is a lower division than CCC, it is a fact due to the league system that therefore the teams are of lower standard and the league is easier. There can be exceptions to this, e.g the team at the top one year who will swap with the team at the bottom of the higher division.

A team that is not in a relegation position is the CCC would not therefore be in a relegation position in an easier league.

OK so I modify my original thread title and say would Saints look out of place in league 1?