Turkish GP

Baj

Well today I think we saw the downside of the new developments, specifically the DRS. During Button's last stint when his tyres had faded and Rosberg was closing in on him, there was never a shred of doubt that Nico would get past him because all he had to do was activate his DRS in the right place and drive clean past while Button sat and watched, helpless. In previous years under that situation the faster car would be forced to take a risk to try and get past, and it would make for great racing to see if the slower car could defend his position, but what we saw today was just pathetic.

Murray Walker used to say "Catching is one thing, but passing is quite another". Sadly this is no longer the case, and it is to the detriment of the sport on the whole IMO.

The holy grain of overtaking is making cars able to follow each other very closely through the corners. At the moment it's nearly impossible as the following car get caught in the turbulence of the car in front. I think ground effect should help improve that when we bring back ground effect cars.

Well today I think we saw the downside of the new developments, specifically the DRS. During Button's last stint when his tyres had faded and Rosberg was closing in on him, there was never a shred of doubt that Nico would get past him because all he had to do was activate his DRS in the right place and drive clean past while Button sat and watched, helpless. In previous years under that situation the faster car would be forced to take a risk to try and get past, and it would make for great racing to see if the slower car could defend his position, but what we saw today was just pathetic.

Murray Walker used to say "Catching is one thing, but passing is quite another". Sadly this is no longer the case, and it is to the detriment of the sport on the whole IMO.

I think DRS is a good thing but they should let the car in front enable their DRS when the passing car's front wheels are alongside the first car's rear wheels, just to equalize it a bit and to avoid the situations where 1 car can just go past another with a 30 mph advantage.

Rosbergs pace was mainly due to buttons tyre wear and not drs, rosberg would have passed easily with or without drs

Rosbergs pace was mainly due to buttons tyre wear and not drs, rosberg would have passed easily with or without drs

But at least Button might have had a (admittedly slim) chance of defending the position. As it turned out, Rosberg just drove clean past him and didn't even need to 'put a move' on him in the braking zone.

I'm all for introducing anything which will encourage drivers to overtake, but with the new tyre compounds and DRS this year we are seeing huge gulfs in pace between similarly competitive cars at different stages of the race. What fans want to see is drivers going wheel-to-wheel and fighting each other for position, not just gliding past them without any effort.

The way I saw the race in most cases where DRS was used the chasing car was gaining quite quickly anyway, it merely made the final step a bit easier - the loss of aerodynamic efficiency when in 'dirty' air has been the bane of F1 for years and DRS does at least attempt to remedy this. If the cars were evenly matched what would have happened is that the passed car would simply have cruised around behind the other and retaken the place on the next lap in exactly the same way, but that didn't happen. I'm more p1ssed off with the number of pit stops and the speed of degradation of the tyres - and why do they persist with the absolutely bl00dy stupid idea that both compounds have to be used, when one will almost always be completely useless on a particular surface.

The holy grain of overtaking is making cars able to follow each other very closely through the corners. At the moment it's nearly impossible as the following car get caught in the turbulence of the car in front. I think ground effect should help improve that when we bring back ground effect cars.

Not gonna happen, I'm afraid. The regs are being signed off on Wednesday and ground effects are being omitted. DRS is here to stay instead but, being positive, I think they'll have it tuned to perfection by then.. On that note, I recently said that DRS wouldn't be used in Monaco - turns out there's been a change of heart and it will indeed be used. Should be exciting.

Not gonna happen, I'm afraid. The regs are being signed off on Wednesday and ground effects are being omitted. DRS is here to stay instead but, being positive, I think they'll have it tuned to perfection by then.. On that note, I recently said that DRS wouldn't be used in Monaco - turns out there's been a change of heart and it will indeed be used. Should be exciting.

Hahah, have they said where abouts on the circuit? pleeeaassee be the tunnel, epic carnage!!!

I think DRS could be improved by having it automatically close once a car gets level with the car in front, to allow wheel to wheel racing to happen, but not to aid the actual passing of the car.

That said, I think overall it's a good thing. After all, this has all the hallmarks of being a really boring season, with one driver waaay out in front and the title practically already decided, but the racing has still been really good to watch.