Academy players

Dazza82

Is there any academy players that we have let go over the years that you have thought i would of liked to see them play for Saints?

This doesnt include players like Walcott or Bale who we got a fee for.

For me i would of liked to see Tim Sparv and Cedric Baseya

Tim Sparv now plays for FC Groningen and nearly qualified for the Uefa cup last season

Cedric Baseya is a squad player at Lille

Tim Spav acoring to football manager 11 would be a quality championship midfielder and good back up midfielder for the prem ;) , in all seriousness he would be class and also Nile Ranger, hes already scored in the prem and would be a quality championship player and prem player in the future if he gets a full season of playing time.

We let NR go because of attitude and behaviour and Spav at the time i believe we were under redknapp who disliked youth despite relegation and felt he wasnt good enough even tho clearly he was..

The way Matt Mills was treated was horrendous. Whenever he played he looked good yet he ended up behind Jacobsen and Davenport in the pecking order - two of the worst defenders we've ever had. We did however get a modest fee for him, as we did with Dexter Blackstock.

Woudl like to have seen Mark Peters get given a go. By all accounts he was a dickhead but you never know, throw him in and he may have been brilliant.

The way Matt Mills was treated was horrendous. Whenever he played he looked good yet he ended up behind Jacobsen and Davenport in the pecking order - two of the worst defenders we've ever had. We did however get a modest fee for him, as we did with Dexter Blackstock.

Woudl like to have seen Mark Peters get given a go. By all accounts he was a dickhead but you never know, throw him in and he may have been brilliant.

For Matt Mills see also Martin Cranie. Hardly played yet when he did was a good centre half as proven in the second leg of the Play offs against Derby.

Does Blackstock count?

Always liked him. Turned himself into a good championship striker.

At the time of his departure..Blackstock was the (youngest) and FIFTH choice striker at Saints...and the fee was too good to refuse.

But you can't keep players forever without playing them, and then expect them to come on and be top class in the middle of a

game on a wet November afternoon. Good for Dex that he 's got a career now, (but I have to say his "goalkeeping " sub appearance

v. Newcastle (?) in that televised game was almost beyond description..

(At the time, people praised him for being brave enough to stand on the line, but his performance was atrocious).

At the time of his departure..Blackstock was the (youngest) and FIFTH choice striker at Saints...and the fee was too good to refuse.

But you can't keep players forever without playing them, and then expect them to come on and be top class in the middle of a

game on a wet November afternoon. Good for Dex that he 's got a career now, (but I have to say his "goalkeeping " sub appearance

v. Newcastle (?) in that televised game was almost beyond description..

(At the time, people praised him for being brave enough to stand on the line, but his performance was atrocious).

Did you expect him to be the next Gordon Banks? He is a centre foward for goodness sake?!

Did you expect him to be the next Gordon Banks? He is a centre foward for goodness sake?!

I didn't expect him to go in goal at all...tbh. He was the last player I would have put in.

Surely there was a better choice from the other 10 on the field.

My point was that while some fans praised his " non-existant " goalie skills, it was obvious that he'd never played there before -even in training. It was not a criticism of Blackstock but those fans who thought .." he was good in goal ".

Do teams no longer train with having outfield players in goal for kick-abouts in training ?

In bygone days we always managed to find suitable replacements in emergencies, but nowadays with 7 subs to choose from and one of them a goalie ... obviously no-one does so anymore.

....surely Anderton was a youth player at Pompey - wasn't he? ..... although I know he was born in So'ton.

Bitterne Park boy who played for Southampton boys but not signed by the mighty Saints and instead went to Portsmouth..

Similar miss with Graham Roberts....Weston Park boy and Southampton boys.....not signed by Saints..

Went to Dorchester , Weymouth and ended up playing for Spurs Chelsea and Glasgow Rangers.

Yep, would have liked to see him in the first team as well as that Spanish winger (forget his name). The Russian/Ukranian fella Pereplotkin had a fair amount of hype as well. I assume they've all had average careers though?

The Pereplotkin affair was bad on all sides. In 2003, the lad came as a 17 year old and had Academy type status and was MOM nearly every game.

But after his time was up, The Home Office refused him a visa to stay on and he had to leave. I think he tried a few games with an Irish outfit who were well below standard and he was released and returned to him Homeland .

Though he was born in the Ukraine. Now aged 26 he qualifies for Latvia for whom he has made 28 international apps. since 2007.

( I think Pahars name was mentioned somewhere because he used to play for Skonto in Riga) .

Edited by david in sweden