Radio Solent: Lowe gave team-talk

benjii

And I don't think there is anything wrong with this and that type of thing happens at most Clubs.

However, is that all the limit of Lowe's involvement with all things to do with the first team?????

Straight answer please from what you know.

If you're going to come and contribute to these threads and play down things, then you should expect to be put on the spot about things in the same domain. If you'd have kept your head down then fine, but if questioning other people on here, then you should expect the same back.

So, what, to your knowledge, is Lowe's involvement in first team matters, and what is his role in this "revolutionary coaching set up"?

from what I have been told RL has input to team selection,. I have also been told that he has NO input into training and team talks except to wish the players good luck etc.

I also know that DMG has not been guarenteed a start. So yes he does have an input, something that I voiced to you privately and said to you in that PM I didnt wish to make it public as the club does not need all the pressure that goes with the fans potentially being on the back of a 'chosen team'

So if you wish to use the fact that RL does have input into team selection then you also should accept that he does not have any part in the rest.

I am not happy that he is doing so and do not support the fact. I also do not support fans embroidering an innocent fact of RL wishing the team luck (like most other chairman) into doing team talks.

[/b]

Exactly how I feel!

He gives the team a geeup, fans call for his blood!

He sits in the stand and gives the dressing room a miss, fans call for his blood because he's 'aloof' etc.

No win.

Loook, I don't give a stuff for names (The board etc) I've supported the Saints for 52 years now and if ever we need to support the team, it's NOW! That's why I went last night. I wasn't going to but we need to forget the politics and think team.

god post norm.all we get are people putting the boot in to our club .

According to Solent pre-match, Lowe was in the dressing room giving a "pep-talk".

Good idea?

Not really a good idea ......... one that smacks of Panic ....... (perhaps Lowe himself is finally worried about being able to save his Stake )

If he DID do a pep talk, then all he has done, is to completely undermine what little respect the Players still may have had for Poortvliet

So now, Lowe might just as well as get rid of Poortvliet, and do the Head Coach job 100% himself

(Unless of course, he was telling the other Ten, just how luccky we are to have McGoldrick leading us.

from what I have been told RL has input to team selection,. I have also been told that he has NO input into training and team talks except to wish the players good luck etc.

I also know that DMG has not been guarenteed a start. So yes he does have an input, something that I voiced to you privately and said to you in that PM I didnt wish to make it public as the club does not need all the pressure that goes with the fans potentially being on the back of a 'chosen team'

So if you wish to use the fact that RL does have input into team selection then you also should accept that he does not have any part in the rest.

I am not happy that he is doing so and do not support the fact. I also do not support fans embroidering an innocent fact of RL wishing the team luck (like most other chairman) into doing team talks.

Right, so now we know, we have some confirmation :

Lowe picks the team

LOL at all those who sneered at the accusation.

I don't get it nick. He has 'input' into who plays but not where they play?

Lowe picks the team

but when I said DMG was not guarenteed a place that was not believed. Dont just pick the things that suit your arguement Alpine.

In the early days of the Premiership I worked in the football media and visited most grounds working behind the scenes. The only two Chairman I saw go to the players dressing room prior to kick off were Ken Bates who popped into see Glen Hoddle's Chelsea dressing room and Doug Ellis at Villa.

I think Case is confusing it with some who come down afterwards but very rarely are Chairman welcome before hand. Lowe is in good company with Ellis and Bates, two of the biggest meglomaniacs I ever met.

In the early days of the Premiership I worked in the football media and visited most grounds working behind the scenes. The only two Chairman I saw go to the players dressing room prior to kick off were Ken Bates who popped into see Glen Hoddle's Chelsea dressing room and Doug Ellis at Villa.

I think Case is confusing it with some who come down afterwards but very rarely are Chairman welcome before hand. Lowe is in good company with Ellis and Bates, two of the biggest meglomaniacs I ever met.

LS all due respect but on this occasion I myself would go with Jimmy Case on this as he played for quite a few teams over the years.

You may be right but as you were in the media I suspect you were having a tea and sandwich in the press room rather than be walking around the dressing rooms 5 minutes before kick off.

If it was LC wishing the team luck i doubt there would be any notice taken, I wouldnt worry if he had. Askham Im sure never would have because i dont think he would know anything about football even though he has been involved for decades.

Lowe picks the team

I was told from a reliable source (no won't give that out on here) that he gives JP a list of players that he can pick the team from - this list is based on what we can afford wages wise.

JP picks the team and manages it from there on in.

LS all due respect but on this occasion I myself would go with Jimmy Case on this as he played for quite a few teams over the years.

You may be right but as you were in the media I suspect you were having a tea and sandwich in the press room rather than be walking around the dressing rooms 5 minutes before kick off.

If it was LC wishing the team luck i doubt there would be any notice taken, I wouldnt worry if he had. Askham Im sure never would have because i dont think he would know anything about football even though he has been involved for decades.

You should never make presumptions Nickh.

My "job" meant I spent the whole hour before kick off in the direct vicinity of both dressing rooms and sometimes even in them so I know exactly who was in and who wasn't. And on the one occasion when Bates and Ellis did visit it was at a long time before the kick off. Funnily enough although both men chilled me they were both very friendly.

I was told from a reliable source (no won't give that out on here) that he gives JP a list of players that he can pick the team from - this list is based on what we can afford wages wise.

That sounds plausible I was told jan is given the teamsheet but yours would seem more sensible but who knows.Only a few know the full truth.

I do know that the club are really trying to stamp out leaks of info and so there is a real fear that anyone a bit loose in their words may get caught out and be fired.

You should never make presumptions Nickh.

My "job" meant I spent the whole hour before kick off in the direct vicinity of both dressing rooms and sometimes even in them so I know exactly who was in and who wasn't. And on the one occasion when Bates and Ellis did visit it was at a long time before the kick off. Funnily enough although both men chilled me they were both very friendly.

That is fine and I accept that you did so. Iam comfortable accepting jimmy Cases words as it is something that I have seen over the years.I have not got the close knowledge you have on it and so may be wrong.

I do feel it serves your purpose to wish for fans to believe your version and so it tempers my judgement. It could be fairly cited that it serves mine to believe Case of course, but to be fair I know JC's history at clubs but i dont yours.

I have not been told that in so many words but look at JP comments about players/money etc and it is an obvious senario. Lowe influences team selection. I have no problem with him shipping out players for financial reasons. What I do now object to is not letting him choose from the whole squad of players on the books.

We have players in the team who are just not good enough in this league at this stage in their career. The Coaches know it, the Players know it and the past Manager/Coaches knew it.

It is damaging us more than our finances at present. It is a difficult balance but we are falling off the tightrope game after game. That means the balance is wrong imho.

That is fine and I accept that you did so. Iam comfortable accepting jimmy Cases words as it is something that I have seen over the years.I have not got the close knowledge you have on it and so may be wrong.

I do feel it serves your purpose to wish for fans to believe your version and so it tempers my judgement. It could be fairly cited that it serves mine to believe Case of course, but to be fair I know JC's history at clubs but i dont yours.

Nick while I accept it may serve my purpose, trust me I would not make something up to justify it. You have my word.

Reading the above posts that Lowe hands JP a list of players to pick from leaves me dumbfounded. Can anyone tell us what other Clubs in the Championship are run in this way by their Chairman?

Also we do not put out the best team from our squad, we put out the team that will cost the least in match day appearance money. That chimes with the reason Stern John left, his appearance money was too high to meet Lowe's game day limit.

Meanwhile in the real world 5,000 supporters stay away because of the poor team/Lowe and cost £250k a home game. Madness.

I have not been told that in so many words but look at JP comments about players/money etc and it is an obvious senario. Lowe influences team selection. I have no problem with him shipping out players for financial reasons. What I do now object to is not letting him choose from the whole squad of players on the books.

We have players in the team who are just not good enough in this league at this stage in their career. The Coaches know it, the Players know it and the past Manager/Coaches knew it.

It is damaging us more than our finances at present. It is a difficult balance but we are falling off the tightrope game after game. That means the balance is wrong imho.

Weston I think you are right but it does make sense as the gates are dropping. Stewart Dennis on Radio Hants said that the break even was 17k and the club were precariously close to administration. Therefore RL I assume has a budget permatch to spend. Therefore it is a juggling contest. At present I am finding a lot of my business colleges have been told not only are they not allowed to go above their overdraft limit a lot are having it reduced. Saints whoever is in charge will have constraints and whilst to us football fans it seems obvious that you play your stars who are more likely to win games, but to banks they are more worried about the debt not getting bigger.

Nick while I accept it may serve my purpose, trust me I would not make something up to justify it. You have my word.

I accept your word an I didnt mean to imply you were lying but I have 2 versions (including my own ) one from you and Casey, at present I lean towards his but do accept that htere is a middle ground.

I can't get my head around this, RL tells Jan what players he can choose from, then goes into the changing room, saying who knows what, and some on here can't see a problem with that ???

FFS, can't you see this is wrong ? Fair enough if he wasn't effectively picking the team, but to give a team talk or whatever, on the back of this is ludicrous. All this does is make it look more and more obvious that JP is his assistant.

It now begs the question, does Rupert tell Jan what he should be working on in training.

Stick to your field of expertise Rupert and let Jan stick to his.

Your above statement doesn't support the bold type.

Only at Southampton can the chairman popping into the dressing room to help motivate the team be seen as a negative thing.

In any other industry, and at most other clubs, the big cheese being interested and involved at 'shop floor' level, rather than shutting themselves away in a lofty office somewhere, would be seen as a good way of running a company.

Only at Southampton....

I can't get my head around this, RL tells Jan what players he can choose from, then goes into the changing room, saying who knows what, and some on here can't see a problem with that ???

FFS, can't you see this is wrong ? Fair enough if he wasn't effectively picking the team, but to give a team talk or whatever, on the back of this is ludicrous. All this does is make it look more and more obvious that JP is his assistant.

It now begs the question, does Rupert tell Jan what he should be working on in training.

Stick to your field of expertise Rupert and let Jan stick to his.

Taking a non-emotion view on this:

My CEO knows jack**** about the design and integration of IT kit. He is the boss of the company, deal with other things and I wouldn't expect him to know about the ins and outs of everyday life. But last week, he called our local Manager and said he was going to pop into the office that evening before we rolled out a major system that night. The Manager usually organised a "set to" meeting before a major roll out such as this anyway, so he said it would be the perfect time for the CEO to come down. So, we were there with our coffee and laptops getting ready for the briefing when we were told the CEO was popping into the see us and give us a small peptalk. He commented that, although due to the financial climate and budget constraints at the moment we were having to off load some of the more experienced staff member and he regretted that, the team were working well and he said that he hoped we would carry on and get the system roll out complete and running in order to make the customer happy, as we could do with some repeat custom from them. He also personally introduced himself to staff he hadnt met before. We were all bouyed by this, as he didnt need to come and see us; we saw it as a nice gesture and it gave us some addded impetous to get on with the job in hand....

My CEO knows jack**** about the design and integration of IT kit. He is the boss of the company, deal with other things and I wouldn't expect him to know about the ins and outs of everyday life. But last week, he called our local Manager and said he was going to pop into the office that evening before we rolled out a major system that night. The Manager usually organised a "set to" meeting before a major roll out such as this anyway, so he said it would be the perfect time for the CEO to come down. So, we were there with our coffee and laptops getting ready for the briefing when we were told the CEO was popping into the see us and give us a small peptalk. He commented that, although due to the financial climate and budget constraints at the moment we were having to off load some of the more experienced staff member and he regretted that, the team were working well and he said that he hoped we would carry on and get the system roll out complete and running in order to make the customer happy, as we could do with some repeat custom from them. He also personally introduced himself to staff he hadnt met before. We were all bouyed by this, as he didnt need to come and see us; we saw it as a nice gesture and it gave us some addded impetous to get on with the job in hand....

Precisely. Backs up my 'only at Southampton' observation above

You would be peeved off if your CEO instructed your manager to move you to a different position in the company if you felt that you were better than your replacement. Then when he came down to introduce himself to you, would you still feel bouyed. The only person who would be bouyed is the person that has taken your position (DMG).

You would be peeved off if your CEO instructed your manager to move you to a different position in the company if you felt that you were better than your replacement. Then when he came down to introduce himself to you, would you still feel bouyed. The only person who would be bouyed is the person that has taken your position (DMG).

The difference being that we know (from McGs interview on the Beeb) the basics of my post. We only have have hearsay and rumours for youre added bit...

Confirmation of what we've always known.

LOWE PICKS THE TEAM.

Our club is a ****ing joke.

LOWE OUT

Only at Southampton can the chairman popping into the dressing room to help motivate the team be seen as a negative thing.

In any other industry, and at most other clubs, the big cheese being interested and involved at 'shop floor' level, rather than shutting themselves away in a lofty office somewhere, would be seen as a good way of running a company.

Only at Southampton....

Not against him popping in to say good luck ect under normal circumstances. But add the fact he instructs JP what players to choose from makes me feel very uneasy about him being in the changing room full stop now.

What if its more than just good luck speech ? Not sure I believe thats all it is.

Confirmation of what we've always known.

LOWE PICKS THE TEAM.

Our club is a ****ing joke.

LOWE OUT

Stanley I think you will find that Giveitto Ron qualified the piece. I would not accept RL picking the team and it something I put in my PM to UMP. I suspect Ron's version seem more credible as he sends down a list of players the club can afford to choose from.

Only at Southampton....

Well, chairmen popping into the dressing room clearly does happen at other clubs, but it seems that sometimes, when they do, their action suggests deeper problems.

Today's Times on Dowie leaving because Briatore 'popped in' to choose the team is a case in point (and a warning for those who see Dowie as a replacement for JP, by the way)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article5034430.ece

Of course, Briatore can at least claim to be pumping a few million into the club...

Why should we accept he doesn't have a part in the rest of the set up ?

What I was saying is that if you jump on the fact because i say that RL has input into team selection and take that as read then you should accept the other pieces are also correct.Not to just take the bits out that suit your predudice.

Well, chairmen popping into the dressing room clearly does happen at other clubs, but it seems that sometimes, when they do, their action suggests deeper problems.

Today's Times on Dowie leaving because Briatore 'popped in' to choose the team is a case in point (and a warning for those who see Dowie as a replacement for JP, by the way)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article5034430.ece

Of course, Briatore can at least claim to be pumping a few million into the club...

We are heading down the route that Chairman will no longer require a team manager, just a fitness/training coach.

The QPR situation is what's worrying me with the RL involvement. I am sure there is more to do with this than finances.

I guess it's possible to choose different types (styles) of chairmen to emphasise different sides of this 'debate'.

We are heading down the route that Chairman will no longer require a team manager, just a fitness/training coach.

The QPR situation is what's worrying me with the RL involvement. I am sure there is more to do with this than finances.

Slick if you want to believe it then you will start to see it being true. I keep calling RL the chairman, but come to think of it Im not sure he is is he?

What I was saying is that if you jump on the fact because i say that RL has input into team selection and take that as read then you should accept the other pieces are also correct.Not to just take the bits out that suit your predudice.

I accept what you are saying, but I now have a seed of doubt what he instructs JP.

If nothing else, it's now blindingly obvious why such a single-minded manager as Nigel Pearson wasn't going to be able to hang around. I wouldn't mind betting that both Lowe AND NP were relieved to end it there and then over the summer, rather than go some way into a season at complete loggerheads.

what a drama-gueen you are :D

for me to condone Lowe talking to players,offcourse that has to be by full consent from JP.

for all we know,maybe JP has asked Rupert to put in a word..? we dont know the circumstances,so I for one wont be so absolute when judging if this is a good or bad action from Lowe.

oh,and your remarks about me being a Lowe-luvvie...LOL,I was one off those being most vociferious about his removal last time around. just feel we shouldn spread any more unfounded or unneccessary negativity. shame others dont feel that way !

Good God ...... You are joking?? .. right ??

You HONESTLY believe that JP ASKED Lowelife to put in a word ???

What planet are you on ???

LOWE DID IT UNDER INSTRUCTION FROM RUPERT LOWE

.. and in so doing, from hereon in, Poortvliet has ABSOLUTELY NO WEIGHT whatsoever in the dressing room

WELL DONE LOWE ........... !!!! ......... Getting worried about your WAD ???

I accept what you are saying, but I now have a seed of doubt what he instructs JP.
That is natural, if you are suspisious of somebody anything may seem possible. I think Ro's info is the more likely and adds up, but it may be because i want it to.

Good God ...... You are joking?? .. right ??

You HONESTLY believe that JP ASKED Lowelife to put in a word ???

What planet are you on ???

LOWE DID IT UNDER INSTRUCTION FROM RUPERT LOWE

.. and in so doing, from hereon in, Poortvliet has ABSOLUTELY NO WEIGHT whatsoever in the dressing room

WELL DONE LOWE ........... !!!! ......... Getting worried about your WAD ???

I think what you say may be correct in respect that i doubt RL would ask permissin to talk to the players. It is what he says is more pertinent. I know he used to say a few words when WGS was manager and so why not now?

So did Lowe popping in motivate the team?

Well we drew at home.

That is relegation form. Lowe therefore contributed to the failure to win.

Yep but if you read the pre match predictions the result was far better than the majority of fans thought we'd get

That is natural, if you are suspisious of somebody anything may seem possible. I think Ro's info is the more likely and adds up, but it may be because i want it to.

What do you think adds up? Try and convince me with your conclusions. Not having a dig by the way.

And I don't think there is anything wrong with this and that type of thing happens at most Clubs.

However, is that all the limit of Lowe's involvement with all things to do with the first team?????

Straight answer please from what you know.

If you're going to come and contribute to these threads and play down things, then you should expect to be put on the spot about things in the same domain. If you'd have kept your head down then fine, but if questioning other people on here, then you should expect the same back.

So, what, to your knowledge, is Lowe's involvement in first team matters, and what is his role in this "revolutionary coaching set up"?

only one person who was there has spoken about this -DMG -who said it was a few positive comments and welcomed it.

Case who has more knowledge than any of us on here stated that was normal for a chairman.

Those are the only ITK comments we have to go on - and they are being ignored because they don't fit in with what you want.

only one person who was there has spoken about this -DMG -who said it was a few positive comments and welcomed it.

Case who has more knowledge than any of us on here stated that was normal for a chairman.

Those are the only ITK comments we have to go on - and they are being ignored because they don't fit in with what you want.

Ever heard of Mandy Rice-Davies?

Who is McG and JP's boss?

Jimmy Case also said Euell was hopeless last night and is a terrible footballer, and I have heard plenty of reports that conflict with that.

He might have the same initials as Jesus, but he isn't the oracle ;)

Edited by Plumstead_Saint

What do you think adds up? Try and convince me with your conclusions. Not having a dig by the way.
Ron stated that he heard that RL does indeed send down a squadlist for Jan to pick from. The list contains the players we can afford as a club to turn out on any one given match. As it seems the clubs breakeven figure is 17k and we are now getting 14k the chairman (whatever hes called) draws up a list that would give jan choice but also one the club can afford ie after appearance money and add ons.

RL responsibility is of course to manage the clubs finances for its shareholders (many are fans unlike in most other industries) and also has to answert to the bank as they will only push the clubs debt so far.If he shows he is trying to be responsible they will support us, if all of a sudden he says 'oh f### it' and plays all the high earners they might think we are being reckless.

Now I understand many will not accept my way of seeing it but it is opinion.

Ron stated that he heard that RL does indeed send down a squadlist for Jan to pick from. The list contains the players we can afford as a club to turn out on any one given match. As it seems the clubs breakeven figure is 17k and we are now getting 14k the chairman (whatever hes called) draws up a list that would give jan choice but also one the club can afford ie after appearance money and add ons.

RL responsibility is of course to manage the clubs finances for its shareholders (many are fans unlike in most other industries) and also has to answert to the bank as they will only push the clubs debt so far.If he shows he is trying to be responsible they will support us, if all of a sudden he says 'oh f### it' and plays all the high earners they might think we are being reckless.

Now I understand many will not accept my way of seeing it but it is opinion.

I can confirm that the squad list contains 11 names only.:D