Radio Solent: Lowe gave team-talk

benjii

Ever heard of Mandy Rice-Davies?

Who is McG and JP's boss?

You don't know much about human nature, do you?

I see what you are saying but why do you question DMG's integrity.You are saying he's lying that is not fair unless you have other information.

We moan if the players/club say nothing and then rubbish the club when they do.

Ron stated that he heard that RL does indeed send down a squadlist for Jan to pick from. The list contains the players we can afford as a club to turn out on any one given match. As it seems the clubs breakeven figure is 17k and we are now getting 14k the chairman (whatever hes called) draws up a list that would give jan choice but also one the club can afford ie after appearance money and add ons.

RL responsibility is of course to manage the clubs finances for its shareholders (many are fans unlike in most other industries) and also has to answert to the bank as they will only push the clubs debt so far.If he shows he is trying to be responsible they will support us, if all of a sudden he says 'oh f### it' and plays all the high earners they might think we are being reckless.

Now I understand many will not accept my way of seeing it but it is opinion.

Im not sure how many high earners have played in one single game at the same time this season, but last night we had Skacel, Ewuell, BWP and Davis.

That kinda goes against what you are saying.

I see what you are saying but why do you question DMG's integrity.You are saying he's lying that is not fair unless you have other information.

We moan if the players/club say nothing and then rubbish the club when they do.

I don't think you do.

I think that McG has integrity, but that does not mean that he is going to harshly criticise his boss in the media every time a journalist asks a leading question. I think we all know how RL would react to that.

I'm sure Dave has had his share of media training at some point, and he is not a fool. ;)

only one person who was there has spoken about this -DMG -who said it was a few positive comments and welcomed it.

Case who has more knowledge than any of us on here stated that was normal for a chairman.

Those are the only ITK comments we have to go on - and they are being ignored because they don't fit in with what you want.

Ever heard of Mandy Rice-Davies?

Who is McG and JP's boss?

Jimmy Case also said Euell was hopeless last night and is a terrible footballer, and I have heard plenty of reports that conflict with that.

He might have the same initials as Jesus, but he isn't the oracle ;)

just so I get this right..

you are saying the DMG, unprompted made up about Lowe popping in with a few words of enouragement?

and that Case made up that it is common for chairman to do this?

based on what? You bad feeling about Lowe and some postings on here?

did you hear the interview?

Im not sure how many high earners have played in one single game at the same time this season, but last night we had Skacel, Ewuell, BWP and Davis.

Not all are on high appearance money, that is where the conflict is

Good post Colinjb, at the end of the day Lowe is a businessman, who knows absolutely

nothing about football. He should therefore be nowhere near the changing rooms before

a game.

funny cos McGoldrick credited Lowe with `ten years experience in the game' in his post match interview.

Originally Posted by nickh viewpost.gif

from what I have been told RL has input to team selection,. I have also been told that he has NO input into training and team talks except to wish the players good luck etc.

I also know that DMG has not been guarenteed a start. So yes he does have an input, something that I voiced to you privately and said to you in that PM I didnt wish to make it public as the club does not need all the pressure that goes with the fans potentially being on the back of a 'chosen team'

So if you wish to use the fact that RL does have input into team selection then you also should accept that he does not have any part in the rest.

I am not happy that he is doing so and do not support the fact. I also do not support fans embroidering an innocent fact of RL wishing the team luck (like most other chairman) into doing team talks.

I don't get it nick. He has 'input' into who plays but not where they play?

It all makes sense if the input that Lowe is having is purely from the financial standpoint, something he should be doing.

I don't know what the exact position is now, but at the beginning of the season JP was told that several players were available to move on, of which the majority must be cleared to give us any chance.

I believe JP alone took the decision to base his team around those players he knew would be staying and those with a good chance of still being here. As the windows close that view can change, but if the only option to keep us afloat is to try and force players to leave by hook or by crook, then so be it.

What a lot fail to realise is the extent of the mess we are in, with many feeling that we have flexibility as to the way forward. With the shfting sands of our own financial position, coupled with what has happened globally has made our position considerably worse than when the initial formulae was hammered out with the bank. The failure to regain capital from player sales iniated trying to offset the debt, by further reducing the wage bill over a longer term to cover this sum. Then add in a reduction in gate receipts and you have a further offset to try and account for. The bank are definitely not happy with the situation they find themselves in, but for some reason seem reluctant to pull the plug on a football club, but would not give a second thought to any other business.

I have no problem with the desions being made at the present, considering the position we are in. Obviously it's not pleasant to have to take this medicine, but it has to be done. These decisions have to be made just to give us the slimmest of chances, someone has to do it, but many are fixated upon the fact it is Lowe. What would you prefer, someone who failed to make any unpleasant decisions and hide from their responsibilities, because that is exactly how we got where we now are.

Reading the above posts that Lowe hands JP a list of players to pick from leaves me dumbfounded. Can anyone tell us what other Clubs in the Championship are run in this way by their Chairman?

Also we do not put out the best team from our squad, we put out the team that will cost the least in match day appearance money. That chimes with the reason Stern John left, his appearance money was too high to meet Lowe's game day limit.

Meanwhile in the real world 5,000 supporters stay away because of the poor team/Lowe and cost £250k a home game. Madness.

If it has really come to this then it is a crushing indictment of the board.

Are they seriously saying that we pick a team that is cheap rather than one that can win, Not only have we a battle for survival in this leaugue but JP is not alowed to pick the team with the best chance of winning.

We are truly a laughing stock. Who decides who is too expensive?

The directors should hang their heads in shame.

Both these directors are personally wealthy they seem prepared to risk us slipping down a league,

Goodness knows who will be left after Xmas.

Thye should be driven from the club

Are they seriously saying that we pick a team that is cheap rather than one that can win,

Have you paid no attention to what has been happening at SFC since May when Lowe came back.

I've got news for you if that is the case, it's not just the team that was picked because they are cheap ;)

Are they seriously saying that we pick a team that is cheap rather than one that can win, Not only have we a battle for survival in this leaugue but JP is not alowed to pick the team with the best chance of winning.

I agree we should always play our strongest team available.

So many are blinkered by their hate lowe at all costs mentality they are perhaps missing the full picture.

There have been some good discussions on this thread re lowes involvement.

I believe it is not so much Rupert Lowe calling the tune, he is the messenger

after all and if he is being forced to make unpalatable decisions because barclays bank and other creditors are holding a gun to his head in order to stave off administration.

If say we do end up in administration, do you think the bank will care less what standard of players we will have on our books. I can see them stripping our assets far quicker than lowe is doing. The training ground will be kicked in to touch for a start , and ground maint will be contracted to the local council.

And if you are luckey the grass at St Mary's will only be cut once a month

I may seem to be supporting lowelife but I am not. I am just trying to look at the whole picture and will not jump on the anti lowe agenda like some

I agree we should always play our strongest team available.

Good plan, let's play the strongest available team.

Should manage to last about 4 weeks that way instead of the 12 we need to get to January and HOPEFULLY get some fees in for Rasiak, Saga, John and maybe Euell & Skacerl so that we at LEAST have a (very small) fighting chance of being around in this league next season.

It looks dreadful right now, but while there is some flicker of life there is still some hope, we're not ready to switch the life-support off just yet.

And as for broncoboy's post. yikes, I'd love to be able to spend some time on that planet. Of course he is RIGHT, we all feel like that, just most of us have read some articles and interviews about the mess we are in.

Just so that I am clear on this Nick, what you are saying is, that although the four players I mentioned are our highest earners, not all are based on appearances ?

May I ask how you know this ?

just so I get this right..

you are saying the DMG, unprompted made up about Lowe popping in with a few words of enouragement?

and that Case made up that it is common for chairman to do this?

based on what? You bad feeling about Lowe and some postings on here?

did you hear the interview?

No, you have still got it wrong, as usual.

I have not suggested that McG lied about RL being in the dressing room anywhere. Nor has anyone else. You are either deliberately misreporting, or you need to learn to read properly. HTH

I did suggest that McG would probably not say "yeah, what was that no-nothing tosser lowe doing spouting crap in the dressing room? I mean, he's not even the bloody football chairman!" as he would likely suffer the consequences, even if that is what he really thought.

do you see now?

Oh and anyone who takes the mumbled and slurred cliches and anecdotes of JC as the gospel is a very gullible individual. Great raconteur [with all the truth bending that involves], but his opinion that Euell was rubbish last night [and is in fact a rubbish footballer] is being contested on another thread here right now.

but he is posh -he cant understand football after just 10 years of working fulltime in it and being on FA premiership board;)

I've been playing and watching the game for 25 years, but there are people on here that think I know jack about the game.

How long does it take for a novice to pick up the subtle nuances of the game and do you need to have played to see the game in a certain way?

Also do players that read the game well haev a better understanding of the game full stop?

I have not suggested that McG lied about RL being in the dressing room anywhere. Nor has anyone else. You are either deliberately misreporting, or you need to learn to read properly. HTH

I did suggest that McG would probably not say "yeah, what was that no-nothing tosser lowe doing spouting crap in the dressing room? I mean, he's not even the bloody football chairman!" as he would likely suffer the consequences, even if that is what he really thought.

do you see now?

Oh and anyone who takes the mumbled and slurred cliches and anecdotes of JC as the gospel is a very gullible individual. Great raconteur [with all the truth bending that involves], but his opinion that Euell was rubbish last night [and is in fact a rubbish footballer] is being contested on another thread here right now.

as usual I am taking what I heard as being more likely than something made up on here for their agenda "guess what I reckon he might have really been in there to discuss formation". You are sounding childish. I do not know, nor do you but guessing something totally different went on based on insults to DMG and Case to fit in with a made up criticism of Lowe is pathetic. Lets face it there is plenty of obvious things that we know about to moan about!

Just so that I am clear on this Nick, what you are saying is, that although the four players I mentioned are our highest earners, not all are based on appearances ?

May I ask how you know this ?

do you think this is Watergate and so by chipping away you will get to my sources. Just take it as it is I will not embellish anymore.

as usual I am taking what I heard as being more likely than something made up on here for their agenda "guess what I reckon he might have really been in there to discuss formation". You are sounding childish. I do not know, nor do you but guessing something totally different went on based on insults to DMG and Case to fit in with a made up criticism of Lowe is pathetic. Lets face it there is plenty of obvious things that we know about to moan about!

Sorry dad ;)

I have not insulted Dave McG anywhere here - nor would I.

You need to read what someone actually writes, not translate it in your mind to something completely different and then overreact to that imagining.

TBH I don't think that Case is drunk when he is on the radio, but many many people have commented on how he sounds like he is, complete with slurring and mumblings. And he does tell great stories and anecdotes, but I wouldn't want him appearing in court for me as a witness. now if you take that to be insulting the bloke, then that's your problem.

You really should try to see beyond your own pathetic little feud with the anti-lowe brigade and listen to what people are saying - failing to do so makes you appear to be as blinkered as the faction you so obviously despise.;)

If you can't see or understand what I am saying, then fine- let's end the dialogue cos it feels like trying to explain the point of the internet to your [deaf] gran.:(

do you see now?

PS you by saying that DMG was saying these things to cosy up that he was lying or making it up or following orders.

He was interviewed and asked the question. He seemed genuine in his reply and said what I took as a none sinister event.

It is typical of the club and its supporters that many instantly think the worst. That is why I dont think the club will ever truly heal.

do you think this is Watergate and so by chipping away you will get to my sources. Just take it as it is I will not embellish anymore.

Very touchy response. I really am not interested in your source, just wanted to know if that is what you have been told or if its what you believe to be likely.

So how about answering the first part.

Im not prepared to answer that.

So that takes us back to my first question.

Only at Southampton can the chairman popping into the dressing room to help motivate the team be seen as a negative thing.

In any other industry, and at most other clubs, the big cheese being interested and involved at 'shop floor' level, rather than shutting themselves away in a lofty office somewhere, would be seen as a good way of running a company.

Only at Southampton....

But as far as I can ascertain, people on here haven't got a problem with Lowe popping down to say good luck, having a gander at the lads in training, asking if there is anything the Club could be doing for the players etc etc etc.

All of that seems fairly innocent and would actually be quite a good thing to do.

What people do have a problem with is the CEO/Chairman being overly involved in areas f the first team that should be the sole domain of the manager.

The single most important person at any football club is the manager. Not the star player (as Fergie showed with Beckham and as Lawrie showed with Wright & others), not the Chairman (as Mourinho declared) and not the CEO.

Everything at a football club revolves around the ability of the manager to produce a winning side. You interfere or meddle with that at your peril and that is what people are nervous and upset about. There is a massive distinction between the two.

But as far as I can ascertain, people on here haven't got a problem with Lowe popping down to say good luck, having a gander at the lads in training, asking if there is anything the Club could be doing for the players etc etc etc.

All of that seems fairly innocent and would actually be quite a good thing to do.

What people do have a problem with is the CEO/Chairman being overly involved in areas f the first team that should be the sole domain of the manager.

The single most important person at any football club is the manager. Not the star player (as Fergie showed with Beckham and as Lawrie showed with Wright & others), not the Chairman (as Mourinho declared) and not the CEO.

Everything at a football club revolves around the ability of the manager to produce a winning side. You interfere or meddle with that at your peril and that is what people are nervous and upset about. There is a massive distinction between the two.

That is right UMP. As you know I can't defend it if he is picking the side but if you read Giveitto ROn his bit seems more plausible to me, and that would explain a lot in my mind as I was incredulous to the first scratchy bit of info I got.

RL responsibility is of course to manage the clubs finances for its shareholders (many are fans unlike in most other industries) and also has to answert to the bank as they will only push the clubs debt so far.If he shows he is trying to be responsible they will support us, if all of a sudden he says 'oh f### it' and plays all the high earners they might think we are being reckless.

Now I understand many will not accept my way of seeing it but it is opinion.

Simple question avoided in your normal manner. I wasn't trying to catch you out or discredit you. If you are going to use such comments in a debate, then you should expect to be questioned back.

Exactly.. hence why I made a point that last night we played our supposed four highest earners. So that goes against the argument about wages ect.

Exactly.. hence why I made a point that last night we played our supposed four highest earners. So that goes against the argument about wages ect.
highest earners are fixed costs it is about appearance money and bonuses. Stern Saga and Rasiak would also be on that list but at present have been reduced off the wage bill that gives the club a little more flexibility.

Nail on the head. Lowe doesn't need to be there in the dressing room giving a prep talk while we are preparing for the game, he doesn't need to be on the touchline while the players run out to warm up. He doesn't need to hand a piece of paper to Jan saying this is the line up (players to pick from) etc.. and the fact he is doing that makes me feel even worse for JP. He really is in a horrible situation and he must think he is being undermined by Lowe. I have no doubt other chairmans come into see the players and wish them luck but from what i hear this is now a tradition at our club. It is an every game thing. Can you imagine the Glaziers coming into the Man U dressing room? The Liverpool owners? Levy at Spurs? etc.. etc.. it reminds me off the scene from Airplane when Leslie Nileson keeps coming into the ****pit every few mins saying "i wish you the best of luck, were counting on you" while they are trying to concentrate on the landing. I think that by doing that must break the concentration that the playing staff are trying to get. Ultimatly if it was working then i would be fine with it. If Lowe came in and gave a Churchill type speech that ment they would go out and "do battle on the fields, we will never surrender" then i think we would all be for him doing it. But it is more like watching a slaughter waiting to happen. So Lowe needs to back off and be behind the scenes. Needs to stop putting his face in a place to get publicity. He cannot help it as he thinks he is a celebrity. But overall he needs to let the manager manage and from what people are saying it looks as if he isn't doing that.

PS you by saying that DMG was saying these things to cosy up that he was lying or making it up or following orders.

He was interviewed and asked the question. He seemed genuine in his reply and said what I took as a none sinister event.

It is typical of the club and its supporters that many instantly think the worst.

You may be right - FWIW I thought McG sounded genuine.

HOWEVER it would be foolish to ignore the possibility that Dave is a nice young man who is tactful and does not wish to speak ill of anyone, particularly his boss. A young man who will certainly have had media training in handling these situations.

Nothing sinister really....just a reality check.

highest earners are fixed costs it is about appearance money and bonuses. Stern Saga and Rasiak would also be on that list but at present have been reduced off the wage bill that gives the club a little more flexibility.

Thank you for a more reasonable answer. From that, I gather what you are saying, our four present highest earners don't all get an appearance fee or bonus. Stern John I guess does, so that now frees up more space for the other big earners.

Thank you for a more reasonable answer. From that, I gather what you are saying, our four present highest earners don't all get an appearance fee or bonus. Stern John I guess does, so that now frees up more space for the other big earners.
Not exactly but you get my drift

Which now suggests our wages are under enough control that RL doesn't need to advise JP who we can and can't afford to play.

At last....got there in the end.

So Rupert, let Jan do his job.

Which now suggests our wages are under enough control that RL doesn't need to advise JP who we can and can't afford to play.

At last....got there in the end.

So Rupert, let Jan do his job.

Not so fast there cowboy! I think even Nick was trying to put the skids under your conclusion.

There's the small (and shrinking matter) of attendances leaving a gaping hole in revenues, and results propelling the club towards Hell, aka League 1. All in the context of a ballooning overdraft.

I think it's probably safer to draw the OPPOSITE conclusion.

Nail on the head. Lowe doesn't need to be there in the dressing room giving a prep talk while we are preparing for the game, he doesn't need to be on the touchline while the players run out to warm up. He doesn't need to hand a piece of paper to Jan saying this is the line up (players to pick from) etc.. and the fact he is doing that makes me feel even worse for JP. He really is in a horrible situation and he must think he is being undermined by Lowe. I have no doubt other chairmans come into see the players and wish them luck but from what i hear this is now a tradition at our club. It is an every game thing. Can you imagine the Glaziers coming into the Man U dressing room? The Liverpool owners? Levy at Spurs? etc.. etc.. it reminds me off the scene from Airplane when Leslie Nileson keeps coming into the ****pit every few mins saying "i wish you the best of luck, were counting on you" while they are trying to concentrate on the landing. I think that by doing that must break the concentration that the playing staff are trying to get. Ultimatly if it was working then i would be fine with it. If Lowe came in and gave a Churchill type speech that ment they would go out and "do battle on the fields, we will never surrender" then i think we would all be for him doing it. But it is more like watching a slaughter waiting to happen. So Lowe needs to back off and be behind the scenes. Needs to stop putting his face in a place to get publicity. He cannot help it as he thinks he is a celebrity. But overall he needs to let the manager manage and from what people are saying it looks as if he isn't doing that.

Quite

Not so fast there cowboy! I think even Nick was trying to put the skids under your conclusion.

There's the small (and shrinking matter) of attendances leaving a gaping hole in revenues, and results propelling the club towards Hell, aka League 1. All in the context of a ballooning overdraft.

I think it's probably safer to draw the OPPOSITE conclusion.

Does that mean its unlikely that we will see Euell, BWP, Skatcel and Davies all play at the same time again ?

Was last night a one off ?

If not, then it will prove that Rupert doesn't need to tell Jan who to pick purely on financial reasons.

It is typical of the club and its supporters that many instantly think the worst.

You may be right - FWIW I thought McG sounded genuine.

HOWEVER it would be foolish to ignore the possibility that Dave is a nice young man who is tactful and does not wish to speak ill of anyone, particularly his boss. A young man who will certainly have had media training in handling these situations.

Nothing sinister really....just a reality check.

all possible

Does that mean its unlikely that we will see Euell, BWP, Skatcel and Davies all play at the same time again ?

Was last night a one off ?

If not, then it will prove that Rupert doesn't need to tell Jan who to pick purely on financial reasons.

Not necessarily.

But I do think it means the end of the Lowe 'revolution', which in itself cost money, and we'll continue to sell or loan out whoever and whenever possible. Lowe is really only answerable now to Mr Mannering at Barclays. Hence the continuing pressure to count every penny in deciding who plays.

IMHO.

According the the BBC Lowe was clarifying the position the Club was in. If that's the case surely in the dressing room before the game is not the time or the place?

Also, surely it's a bit late doing it now, if any clarification was needed it should have been given weeks ago?

Personally I think this shows how weak JP is

it reminds me off the scene from Airplane when Leslie Nileson keeps coming into the ****pit every few mins saying "i wish you the best of luck, were counting on you" while they are trying to concentrate on the landing. I think that by doing that must break the concentration that the playing staff are trying to get.

Absolutely.

In the run up to the game the manager must have full and total control of his dressing room.

The players need to be focussed and not distracted. It is a key prt of the preparation.

Here is what one current manager said about the run up to the match when defending some of his players not signing autographs whilst out on the pitch in the warm up.

"I take your point and I am sure players will sign autographs on their way out of the ground but once the warm-up finishes I am big on them getting back to the dressing room so I can have my time with them.

I want that window of opportunity to get them ready for the game."

Any idea who said that???

I can see it now, Lowe standing before the team striking a Churchillian pose, cigar firmly clamped in his jaw...

"We shall fight them on the training grounds and the pitches, in the reserve league and the academy league and even in the Championship. With growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our club, whatever the cost may be, so that

if Southampton Football Club lasted for a thousand years, men will still say, "This was their finest hour."