Reserves win 4-1

Window Cleaner

http://www.pafc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ReservesReport/0,,10364~1443686,00.html

Argyle 1

Mackie 7

Southampton 4

White 13, 66, 70

Paterson 58

ARGYLE suffered a humiliating 4-1 defeat to a superb young Southamton side in today's totesport.com Combination Cup game at Home Park.

Jamie Mackie's early strike gave Argyle the lead for just six minutes before Jamie White equalized for the visitors. Matthew Paterson put the Saints ahead early in the second-half and White then completed his hat-trick with two strikes in quick succession.

Craig Noone and Yala Bolasie were outstanding for Argyle but the performances of some of the more experienced Greens, particularly in the second-half, was well below the standard required for this competition, let alone the Coca-Cola Championship.

Southampton made a bright start to the game and Paterson was extremely unlucky not to open the scoring on six minutes after cutting inside Gary Sawyer and drifting a superb left-foot shot beyond keeper Oliver Chenoweth, but the crossbar came to Argyle's rescue.

It was a moment of fortune that Mackie capitalized on in predatory style. A hopeful ball forward from the back was chased with typical Mackie enthusiasm and he reaped the rewards from a courageous tackle on Saints' stopper Tommy Forecast when he tapped into the empty net after the ball spilled loose.

The lead lasted only six minutes as the Saints punished some lacklustre Argyle defending. Ryan Smith delivered a routine cross from the right and White was left unmarked to slide the ball past Chenoweth from close range.

The end-to-end theme continued with a blistering turn of pace from Bolasie exposing the left side of the visiting defence and former Tottenham keeper Forecast had to block the stinging drive with his knees.

More good work from Bolasie once again left Saints' full-back Joseph Mills tackling grass and the eventual cross found the run of Noone, who planted a strong header into the grateful arms of Forecast.

The fabulous feet of Noone and Bolasie's awesome pace was a continuing problem for the Saints and, following a deep corner from the former, the latter swung in a cross that was headed narrowly wide by mountainous young defender Ben Gerring.

The sprightly pair combined again just before the half-hour mark with Noone latching onto a Bolasie pass and twisting his way through the visitors before chipping the ball inches over the bar.

It was a torrid afternoon for young Mills and, after another skinning from Bolasie, Mackie headed wide from the ensuing Noone corner.

The next chance fell to Emile Mpenza, who, after initially losing possession, recovered to feed Noone on the left. The young Scouser repaid the favour with a beautifully weighted pass into Mpenza's path but the Belgians' touch let him down at the vital moment.

Southampton continued to carry a threat at the other end and when the diminutive Romain Gasmi was allowed to run at the heart of Argyle's defence, Chenoweth had to be alert to parry the drive to safety.

A nasty collision just before the interval left Mpenza nursing a sore head and he was replaced by Ashley Barnes for the second period.

It was Southampton who emerged the stronger side after the break with some tricky wing play by Smith testing the defensive poise of Jim Paterson, and a 25-yard rasper from Gasmi had Chenoweth scrambling across his goal.

Barnes then introduced himself as a threat with a cheeky curler which drifted inches wide and Bolasie was next to test the Saints with yet another searing cross from the right.

The visitors cleared the cross well, however, and broke swiftly down the left, exploiting the gap vacated by full-back Shane White's foray forward. Paterson found the room to run at Chenoweth's goal and he squeezed a shot under the advancing keeper to give Southampton a 2-1 lead.

Argyle immediately came within a lick of paint of scoring a sensational equaliser and the two best Greens on display were involved. Noone floated a lovely pass on to the chest of Bolasie, who wasted no time in unleashing a scorching half-volley past Forecast, only to see the stunning effort cannon back off the upright.

Seconds later the post came to Argyle's rescue, as the impressive Smith found space behind to poke a shot beyond Chenoweth. The ball bounced away to safety but the visitors were not to be denied, and they extended their lead with White's second goal of the afternoon when he was allowed room to rifle home from 12 yards.

Four minutes later White had his hat-trick and Argyle were trailing 4-1. The goal came after some excellent inter-play by the visitors and White, with confidence brimming, side-stepped Gerring before slipping a neat finish into the bottom corner.

White will get the plaudits but Smith on the opposite wing was having just as much fun, and the frustration got too much for Simon Walton who ended another dazzling run by unceremoniously dumping the Theo Walcott look-alike to the ground.

Argyle's vastly more experienced side were quite simply in disarray and more shoddy defending allowed Gasmi a shot on goal which, from five yards out, should have gone the right side of the post from a Southampton perspective.

Mackie's determination gave the Greens the chance to salvage some pride but, after out-muscling his man, the former Grecian fired straight at Forecast. Noone then dipped a gentle free-kick narrowly over.

Argyle trudged off after the game with Noone and Bolasie possibly the only positives from an otherwise depressing display.

Argyle (4-4-2): 1 Oliver Chenoweth; 2 Shane White, 4 Ben Gerring, 5 Gary Sawyer, 3 Jim Paterson; 7 Yala Bolasie (16 Dan Smith 83), 6 Yoann Folly, 8 Simon Walton, 11 Craig Noone; 9 Emile Mpenza (14 Ashley Barnes half-time), 10 Jamie Mackie.

Substitutes (not used): 13 Ryan Brett, 15 Brian McCaul.

Southampton (4-4-2): 1 Tommy Forecast; 2 Jamie Hatch, 3 Jeffrey Imudia 14 Tom Dunford 80), 4 Kyle Davies, 5 Joseph Mills; 7 Ryan Smith, 6 Lloyd James, 8 Oscar Gobern, 11 Jamie White; 9 Matthew Paterson, 10 Romain Gasmi.

Substitutes (not used): 12 Michael Byrne, 13 Andrej Pernecky (gk), 15 Callum McNish, 16 Kayne McLaggon.

sites don't often talk that positively about another team and their players!

superb young Southamton

Southampton made a bright start to

Southampton continued to carry a threat at the other end and when the diminutive Romain Gasmi was allowed to run at the heart of Argyle's defence,

broke swiftly down the left

r some excellent inter-play by the visitors and White, with confidence brimming, side-stepped Gerring before slipping a neat finish into the bottom corner.

White will get the plaudits but Smith on the opposite wing was having just as much fun, and the frustration got too much for Simon Walton who ended another dazzling run by unceremoniously dumping the Theo Walcott look-alike to the ground.

Argyle's vastly more experienced side

http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?t=24317&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Plymouth fans view. One comment said our no 10 looked good. That was Gasmi as per the numbers of the Plymouth report.

The reserves always play the 4-2-3-1 I think.

again good link

We were well beaten by a team that played nice passing football.

The first half was reasonably even but Noone(best Argyle player)was contained in the second. Walton and Patterson did not impress. Bolasie showed a nice turn of speed but in general his delivery let him down.

Team skill wise in all departments Southampton were superior and comfortable with a precise passing game

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:23 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were totally outplayed by a very good footballing side who passed the ball well and ripped our fragile defence to pieces

Nice to see Gasmi play the whole game.

Anyone know what sort of formation we where playing? I assume it was the 4-2-3-1 with Gamsi in the hole behind Patterson?

Gasmi played for 60 mins before being replaced by McLaggon (OS)

yups, was at the game today. a pretty good game all round. played a 4-2-3-1. every ball from forecast came out to the centre back and the passing game was a joy to watch. all the goals seemed to be built through wide positions or wide players cutting in a bit. formation totally confused them and worked really well. Was obvious the players enjoy the way they play and all seemed to get on well. Were supporting each other throughout. plymouth weren't at the races. spoke to the guy next to me who said folley has been rubbish at plymouth and was always an average reserves player!

Forecast - 7 - didn't have much to do, but did pretty well with everything he did

Jamie Hatch (fish!) - 7 - the ref didn't like him much but was reasonably solid

Imudia - 8 - strong in the air, made a couple of good recovery tackles

Davies - 7 - solid and came out of the back to pass well into midfield

Mills - 6.5 - caught out of position a couple of times but did OK

Smith - 8 - looked lively in second half although a bit boring in 1st - changed sides with white on the wings and think he got an assist (?)

James - 7 - passed well although not always on the same wavelength as everyone alse

Gobern - 8 - passed well, looked dominant in midfield

White - 9 - hatrick hero, worked hard, cracking celebration when he got his 3rd!

Patterson - 7 - grabbed himself a goal, chased the ball down well, a struggle to contain

Gasmi - 8 - good player but didn't look match fit

yups, was at the game today. a pretty good game all round. played a 4-2-3-1. every ball from forecast came out to the centre back and the passing game was a joy to watch. all the goals seemed to be built through wide positions or wide players cutting in a bit. formation totally confused them and worked really well. Was obvious the players enjoy the way they play and all seemed to get on well. Were supporting each other throughout. plymouth weren't at the races. spoke to the guy next to me who said folley has been rubbish at plymouth and was always an average reserves player!

Forecast - 7 - didn't have much to do, but did pretty well with everything he did

Jamie Hatch (fish!) - 7 - the ref didn't like him much but was reasonably solid

Imudia - 8 - strong in the air, made a couple of good recovery tackles

Davies - 7 - solid and came out of the back to pass well into midfield

Mills - 6.5 - caught out of position a couple of times but did OK

Smith - 8 - looked lively in second half although a bit boring in 1st - changed sides with white on the wings and think he got an assist (?)

James - 7 - passed well although not always on the same wavelength as everyone alse

Gobern - 8 - passed well, looked dominant in midfield

White - 9 - hatrick hero, worked hard, cracking celebration when he got his 3rd!

Patterson - 7 - grabbed himself a goal, chased the ball down well, a struggle to contain

Gasmi - 8 - good player but didn't look match fit

Good report thanks. Isn't Joseph Mills know as fish?

Sounds like Gasmi had a good game despite lack of match fitness....

I've still got this gut feel that when Gasmi and Schneiderlin start playing together in the first team we'll start seeing some consistency in our performances overall. As I say, not a scientific view, just a hunch.

Didn't manage to get to the game yesterday (I know poor effort!) but spoke to a good friend, Chris Daykin a Plymouth Argyll fanatic who was at the game. Said he only saw about three Saints fans at the match but they were heard applauding their team all afternoon! Chris's exact words were 'brilliant from back to front'. Argyll put out a very strong squad and with Mpenza and Mackie on form, expected to win easily. Saints simply passed them off the park. Defensively he was very impressed with Kyle Davis and Jeff Imeldua in the middle and especially Jamie Hatch at right back. In the middle he thought that Gasmi looked a pretty good player but was obviously trying too hard and Saints got even better when he went off and White was put in the 'hole'. Up front he thought White and Paterson were a tremendous partnership - they gave the Plymouth defence a torrid time! Both continually closing down and harrassing, and setting each other up for some very well taken goals. A tremendous 'team' performance and we were to be congratulated with showing Argyll how to play the game!! (He did say that Argyll were the better team for the first ten minutes of the second half!).

He was very generous in defeat, and is not always this complimentary I can assure you - so we must have played well!!!

COYR

Cheers for that Navyred...good to here Jeffrey having another good game as he has impressed me every time I have seen him this season...if only he was 2ft taller!

But then again he makes up for that by good reading of the game and timing.

Also good to her Pato got another one as I think next season he will be our main striker whatever division we are in.

Ron,

Agree if Jeff was only taller!!

Whitey will get all the plaudits for his hat-trick (and rightly so), but my mate Chris said this was almost a 'complete performance' by Saints. He was very, very complimentary about the whole team, mainly because this was almost an Argyll first team!

Also agree about Pato, I too think he will be leading the line for Saints in seasons to come. He is getting bigger, stronger and faster and gives 110% every time he puts on a Saints shirt. MW constantly comments that he 'runs his socks off'. With Whitey playing in the hole behind him, we might just have have a striking partnership that will give us the goals we need in the future. Pato I think has scored 5 in 5 and Whitey 8 in 5 - awesome at whatever level you play.

You must have been one of the three Saints fans at the match! Were you the one making all the noise?

would have looked at that team sheet a while ago and though "is this really all we have to back up the first team". Due to lack of big names. Now with good coaching, good style of football, talent and youthful enthusiam you get the feeling that some of these are going to give us a better future.

was a league game. couldn't post any earlier cos i can't afford the £5!! ...

couldnt tell that well with gasmi cos he wasnt match fit, but looked promising and could be ideal in the whole. didnt know his teammates very well so wasnt always on the same wavelength as them, but i think that will come in time. would have liked to see him play in a few more through balls. having said that the build-up play from the edge of the box looked better coming in from the wings than it tends to do when the first team barge foreward down the middle sometimes. 2 weeks off first team IMO.

jamie white's celebration was a dramatic 'lets stick my arms up in the air' thing in front of an empty stand. made me laugh any way!

jeff did have a pretty good game but i still have my doubts. made a great tackle when it looked like the striker was going 1 on 1 with the goalie, but then again shouldn't have let him get goalside in the first place.

i was wearing a southampton scarf but that was it so maybe he didn't see me. maybe there was 4 (shocked face thingy), but yes i was still making loads of noise! the northam would be embarassed by my efforts!