Is Britain a Christian country?

pap

And we've descended into personal abuse again.

That's what happens when you ruffle the feathers of our liberal peacocks Andy. They get all sarcastic and condesending, unable to accept facts and the views other than their own.

At least they're popular on the internet. :lol:

Edited by Turkish

That's what happens when you ruffle the feathers of our liberal peacocks Andy. They get all sarcastic and condesending, unable to accept facts and the views other than their own.

At least they're popular on the internet. :lol:

I was more referring to you. May I just compliment you on your 'single 19 year old virgin' jibe.

I always dreamt of having a internet forum board friend. Then i will know i've made it in life.

I was actually referring to a real life friend. Probably faulty deductive reasoning on my part, but if you're spending vast amounts of time shouting people down on issues that you have no clear conviction on, then I think it's reasonable to assume that no-one is inviting you around their house for tea and buns.

I would say that is a statement of fact rather than a personal insult, no?

I'm a bit more successful than you imagine, I'm afraid so not fact. But please, continue with the playground insults. They add to your arguments.

This thread is ruined now. It was a good one at the beginning as well.

I'm a bit more successful than you imagine, I'm afraid so not fact. But please, continue with the playground insults. They add to your arguments.

Worry not, Andy. I'm thinking of starting a new thread : "How to win friends and influence people".

Can't happen without Turkish's input, naturally :rolleyes:

I was actually referring to a real life friend. Probably faulty deductive reasoning on my part, but if you're spending vast amounts of time shouting people down on issues that you have no clear conviction on, then I think it's reasonable to assume that no-one is inviting you around their house for tea and buns.

ahh sorry, didn't realise the internet mong boards were reflective of our real life popularity.

*orders 2,000 copies of "the internet is serious business" t-shirts for the TSW spring sale*

draft_lens18251374module153016898photo_1315275735the_internet_is_serious_b

I'm sure you are. Do you invite your girlfriends for Question Time evenings where you get in horlicks and cookies?

This part I can whole heartedly agree with !

I was raised as a christian, I was in the church choir from 8 till 12, baptized, confirmed, all that, but do I believe ? Hell no.

In the early days when lightning flashed and thunder struck people believed the gods were angry.

Up until the 15th 16th century people believed if you kept sailing west you would drop off the edge of the ' flat ' world.

Nowadays we are a bit more educated and we understand what thunder is and we know that the earth is a globe.

Yet we still persist in believing in ridiculous religions which have one common factor . . . where is their god ? Why are they always invisible / historical.

I believe that Jesus existed, but I do not believe he was the son of god. I think of him as the Paul Daniels of zero ad where people saw his tricks as miracles, they were easily fooled in those days, and yet to this day people still believe him to be the son of a god that we have never seen ?

In Islam, do these numbnuts really believe that in martydom there are 20 odd virgins waiting for them ? I mean come on, thats playground stuff !

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and I respect that, but personally, I can get through life quite happily as an athiest thank you and don't want to be labelled the christian that I am not !

( all my own views and no offence meant to anyone ! )

Well, you haven't offended me :D (surprised?)

Good, on-topic post from the heart.

This part I can whole heartedly agree with !

I was raised as a christian, I was in the church choir from 8 till 12, baptized, confirmed, all that, but do I believe ? Hell no.

In the early days when lightning flashed and thunder struck people believed the gods were angry.

Up until the 15th 16th century people believed if you kept sailing west you would drop off the edge of the ' flat ' world.

Nowadays we are a bit more educated and we understand what thunder is and we know that the earth is a globe.

Yet we still persist in believing in ridiculous religions which have one common factor . . . where is their god ? Why are they always invisible / historical.

I believe that Jesus existed, but I do not believe he was the son of god. I think of him as the Paul Daniels of zero ad where people saw his tricks as miracles, they were easily fooled in those days, and yet to this day people still believe him to be the son of a god that we have never seen ?

In Islam, do these numbnuts really believe that in martydom there are 20 odd virgins waiting for them ? I mean come on, thats playground stuff !

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and I respect that, but personally, I can get through life quite happily as an athiest thank you and don't want to be labelled the christian that I am not !

( all my own views and no offence meant to anyone ! )

Well I think we've found the line of the thread.

I think of [Jesus] as the Paul Daniels of zero AD.

Classic. Thank you s**** fan!

It can continue, it just needs you to ignore those who you think are trying to ruin it.

FWIW - I don't consider our country to *be* any particular religion. There will be a majority of people who follow a specific religion and obviously the Royal family do influence things, but I'm an Atheist, and know people with all manner of beliefs, all of whom are British citizens.

However, Paul Daniels also works ( Mary McGeedalene?)

So Jesus had three sons, two of whom are a bit dodgy too?!

(look up Gary and Paul Junior - defrauding the NHS and drugs charges respectively!)

And Martin Daniels' showbusiness act is pretty criminal too.

"Dormant Christian" sounds quite positive. I would use the more negative term "vestigial". What you describe is people using the church, or Church, when it suits their need or purpose - like a cultural tradition, or a social club. Church-going, in that sense, served an important social function in the past.

I didn't get married in a church because I don't believe in, or hold to, the words the priest or minister says. I don't want to be a hypocrite. Likewise, I didn't get my children baptised because I don't believe in those sacraments anymore. Again, don't want to be a hypocrite and say or promise things I don't believe in. The only time I'm in churches these days, sadly, is to attend funerals for family and friends.

Many people who participate in these "religious" events don't believe in them. They do it for social reasons. They are "religious" in the most mundane and debased way. They are certainly not Christians. Paying lip-service to a tradition because it's convenient or makes you feel nice and sentimental for a few minutes does not translate into Christian belief or a true religious attitude.

Is there not a place for a (dare i say it) "softer" belief system where participation in the social side of religous services, as you say, is an equally valid form of religous observation? Strict adherence to a prescribed faith may not suit everyone, and instead of trying to find a faith that does suit the individual, surely the freedom to adopt a more personal faith that is based upon a set of values and tenets is no less genuine, even if its outward manifestation is through, for instance, church gatherings and events. After all we are no longer subject to the fear of imposed beliefs and are free to choose our own direction. If we can find that this suits our choices, then i wouldn't want to see it described as any less authentic than customary religous observations.

It can continue, it just needs you to ignore those who you think are trying to ruin it.

FWIW - I don't consider our country to *be* any particular religion. There will be a majority of people who follow a specific religion and obviously the Royal family do influence things, but I'm an Atheist, and know people with all manner of beliefs, all of whom are British citizens.

i agree, there are a few people on this forum who are unable to engage in discussion without attempting to belittle the people that dont agree to their view point and hold them in the same high esteem they hold themselves in. Their constant arrogance, stubbornness and narcissism are the reason many threads have been ruined and turned into more of a baiting contest between posters, yet the mods continue to allow them to antaogise as their attitude is dressed up in a veil of liberalism.

Edited by Turkish

Where did you get the idea that Hitler was a 'pious man'?! Hitler was clearly Hitler - a horror story beyond description. I was talking about the acquiescence and ultimately collaboration of the Catholic Church (via the Concordat and later pronouncements) and how that hardly made such a great basis for claiming that there's any kind of intimate connection between church and morality. I'd go further and say that the Church's behaviour indicates a deep-seated moral bankruptcy. A few Catholic priests in Germany protested, as well as a few more from other Christian sects, such as (famously) Martin Niemoller, who actually began as something of an anti-semite. But he was ultimately responsible for one of the most telling quotations about the Holocaust:

First they came for the communists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I think to say that the Church collaborated is abursdly strong. They were fighting for their existance and probably less hostile to Hitler because they feared Communism more. You should also not shun the role of Christians around Europe who offered sanctuary to persecuted Jews.

Sergei, I have noticed your participation in religious threads before, sir. A couple of things jump out. First, it appears that you are very quick to play the wounded Christian, a common conceit amongst believers today, so much so that its often this sense of being marginalised that starts the debate in the first place.

Second, I don't see a lot of give and take in the debate. I can understand why you might take umbrage to the connection of Christian institutions with the villains of history, but frankly, that's not your fight to fight.

If what you say is true, and that the Catholic Church was fighting for its existence, then they put their institution above the message, and in my view, deserve the criticism they get for it.

Fair enough, defend them where they need defending, but defending everything and/or attributing comments to "spiteful atheists" isn't a great way to win support for your arguments.

I think to say that the Church collaborated is abursdly strong. They were fighting for their existance and probably less hostile to Hitler because they feared Communism more. You should also not shun the role of Christians around Europe who offered sanctuary to persecuted Jews.

One quite appalling fact to consider, Sergei. That notorious Concordat with Hitler has never been withdrawn.

Furthermore, the Vatican was not 'fighting for existence'. Not even Hitler could topple the Catholic Church. THe Vatican collaborated for advantage and because of its barely latent anti-semitisim. I also thought that by drawing attention to a particularly well known Lutheran pastor that I was not 'shunning' those Christians who offered sanctuary - that's an odd conclusion to draw.

Edited by Verbal

i agree, there are a few people on this forum who are unable to engage in discussion without attempting to belittle the people that dont agree to their view point and hold them in the same high esteem they hold themselves in. Their constant arrogance, stubbornness and narcissism are the reason many threads have been ruined and turned into more of a baiting contest between posters, yet the mods continue to allow them to antaogise as their attitude is dressed up in a veil of liberalism.

There are half-a-dozen people on this forum who talk too much. They want to dominate every thread and don't really listen to what others are saying. They think insult and sarcasm is a debating tool. They can be so tiresome, don't you think?

There are half-a-dozen people on this forum who talk too much. They want to dominate every thread and don't really listen to what others are saying. They think insult and sarcasm is a debating tool. They can be so tiresome, don't you think?

I absolutely agree. They tend to be knowitalls with opinions on everything, regardless of this is first hand experience they are always right and quick to belittle anyone who disagrees with them, whilst dressing it up in a veil of liberalism.

I absolutely agree. They tend to be knowitalls with opinions on everything, regardless of this is first hand experience they are always right and quick to belittle anyone who disagrees with them, whilst dressing it up in a veil of liberalism.

Yeah, don't you hate those liberals: all that toleration of different ideas, faiths and beliefs - that concern for the other guy. Must be wimps, eh?

Yeah, don't you hate those liberals: all that toleration of different ideas, faiths and beliefs - that concern for the other guy. Must be wimps, eh?

nah mate, not at all. It's the ones that cant make up their mind that i hate, preach live and let live on the one had, yet shout down and try and belittle anyone who disagrees with them. The ones with such a massive sense of self importance they are constantly trying to educate the people they percieve as savages because they dont agree with them. Tolerate is the right word for them, that is what they do, tolerate, accept and endure rather than embrace, that much is obvious, why else shout so loudly when questioned on it or come up against anyone who might disagree?

My vote is that Turkish is a real intelligent bloke and a also bit of a wide boy. Because of this, he provokes and responds in different ways. I suppose everyone knows that. The thread is interesting despite/because of Turkish's contribution. My view - I want a world which upholds all the 'easy' ethics which most religions adhere to. I'd rather religion was just something you put in facebook. When I read about the crusaders sticking their swords through the bellies of pregnant women I realised that Christianity was sh i t. When I see followers of all religions do the same, I realise that all relisgion is sh i t.

Is there not a place for a (dare i say it) "softer" belief system where participation in the social side of religous services, as you say, is an equally valid form of religous observation? Strict adherence to a prescribed faith may not suit everyone, and instead of trying to find a faith that does suit the individual, surely the freedom to adopt a more personal faith that is based upon a set of values and tenets is no less genuine, even if its outward manifestation is through, for instance, church gatherings and events. After all we are no longer subject to the fear of imposed beliefs and are free to choose our own direction. If we can find that this suits our choices, then i wouldn't want to see it described as any less authentic than customary religous observations.

Amen brother. Couldn't have put it better myself.

It's worth comparing the UK to other countries where religion is held as a guiding principle of their society. For instance, my brother currently lives and works in Doha, Qatar, which is very much an Islamic country. Even though he is a non-muslim expat, if he were to be caught eating or drinking in public during Ramadan, he could be arrested and fined. If the same could be said of the UK, ie that people could be arrested for working on a sunday or refusing to observe Lent or whatever, then I would agree that would certainly define us as a Christian country. Thankfully, our society is not so backward that religious observances are forced upon the population by law.

It's worth comparing the UK to other countries where religion is held as a guiding principle of their society. For instance, my brother currently lives and works in Doha, Qatar, which is very much an Islamic country. Even though he is a non-muslim expat, if he were to be caught eating or drinking in public during Ramadan, he could be arrested and fined. If the same could be said of the UK, ie that people could be arrested for working on a sunday or refusing to observe Lent or whatever, then I would agree that would certainly define us as a Christian country. Thankfully, our society is not so backward that religious observances are forced upon the population by law.

As you may know, I spent quite a bit of time travelling and working in Northern Ireland. It's not a patch on what you've just described here, but the difference in attitude with regard to religion is quite remarkable amongst both Catholics and Protestants.

It's not just the levels of church attendance, which are much higher - but there are frequently protests when a store announces Sunday opening hours. Also, I remember one of the local businesses selling out to Spar on the condition that the new owners would never sell alcohol.

To this day, I'm not actually sure what's weirder when you travel through a Protestant village - the outward display of unionism (painted flagstones, etc) or the innumerable religious placards arrayed along the sides of the roads ( Bible verses, etc ).

Anyway, my point is that you don't have to go too far to see a religious society - a quick trip over the Irish Sea shows just how secular we've become.

Edited by pap

Are you suggesting Isalm is a backward religion Bexy??

I'm not going to take your bait Turkish so go and find some other 'mongs' to troll.

No bait, Bexy, you said it. And itS alright, we know you're not racist, you told us a while ago you even talk to the Indian fella down the road sometimes.

No bait, Bexy, you said it. And itS alright, we know you're not racist, you told us a while ago you even talk to the Indian fella down the road sometimes.

I knew there was a very good reason I had you on my ignore list. You really are a very sad little man if the only way you can amuse yourself is to wind up 'mongs' on internet message boards. Tell me, how long did you manage to stay away after you spat your dummy out recently?

Turkish, why do you seem to think that Liberalism is just letting everyone say their opinion and then just not challenging any of it?! Liberals believe that every opinion has the right to be aired, but also challenged... the whole point of liberalism is ALLOWING debate. It celebrates that we are all individuals with different opinions. But it doesn't allow any opinion to sacred.

I knew there was a very good reason I had you on my ignore list. You really are a very sad little man if the only way you can amuse yourself is to wind up 'mongs' on internet message boards. Tell me, how long did you manage to stay away after you spat your dummy out recently?

Longer than you after your "f*ck this place" rant. LOLz

Turkish, why do you seem to think that Liberalism is just letting everyone say their opinion and then just not challenging any of it?! Liberals believe that every opinion has the right to be aired, but also challenged... the whole point of liberalism is ALLOWING debate. It celebrates that we are all individuals with different opinions. But it doesn't allow any opinion to sacred.

The only sacred opinions you lot hold are your own.

they do.....they all agree and everyone who does not agree with them are thick and wrong.....live and let live eh...?

saying that, is the terrorist dead yet...? you know. the lockerbie bomber...?

Exactly, you've only got to look at how patronising the Lockerbie bomber supporter gets whenever anyone disagrees with him or says something he doesn't agree with. Yet in the next breath spouting about how they love debate and everyones opinion is valid.

So thankful our society is not so "backward" as wot them Islamics are, yes?

Christianity and Islam are backwards IMO. Muslim countries are undoubtably more so.

It's a bunch of ****ed up fairy-tales anyway. All the people I know who go to church admit it's all b*ll*x when you drill down into what they actually believe.

Christianity and Islam are backwards IMO. Muslim countries are undoubtably more so.

It's a bunch of ****ed up fairy-tales anyway. All the people I know who go to church admit it's all b*ll*x when you drill down into what they actually believe.

Go down to your local mosque and say that, see what response you get.

Where would we be without you Andy.:rolleyes:

And you, Turkish

And back to religion.... most religions are quite backwards when taken in their literal form, because they were formed in an age of racism, sexism and just general discrimination. They are a product of their time. Thankfully, in this country, we don't take Christianity in its literal form anymore.