Is Britain a Christian country?

pap

And you, Turkish

And back to religion.... most religions are quite backwards when taken in their literal form, because they were formed in an age of racism, sexism and just general discrimination. They are a product of their time. Thankfully, in this country, we don't take Christianity in its literal form anymore.

So, would you say Muslims and Islam in general is backward? Are you glad we aren't as backward as wot them Islamics are?

And back to religion.... most religions are quite backwards when taken in their literal form, because they were formed in an age of racism, sexism and just general discrimination. They are a product of their time. Thankfully, in this country, we don't take Christianity in its literal form anymore.

Literalism is a relatively recent phenomenon, which started gaining prominence in the early 20th century. It is utterly bonkers, and many of the people who claim that they believe the Bible is the literal word of God just cherry pick it. The part about giving all your money to the poor, for example.

They're just literal when it suits them.

Edited by pap

Go down to your local mosque and say that, see what response you get.

I'll be in a mosque tomorrow. The Iman, good bloke that he is, knows I think it's all ******s but neither he, nor any members of that mosque wish to stone or behead me. They simply accept the fact that I don't believe and I accept the fact that they do.

Same applies when I'm at the Hindu Temple or Sikh Gurdwara.

We live in a titular christian nation, foolish to say otherwise really, but that doesn't mean the population is christian as again that is patently untrue.

I know many Muslims and none of them are 'backward'. To be honest, I don't even like the term Backward.

I would say that many religious texts have parts which are not nice at all, but as I said, thankfully in this country as Pap said people 'pick and choose'.

all religion is backwards...right..?

all religion is backwards...right..?

He said only when taken in it's literal form.

Not all Muslims/Hindus/Sikhs/Jews/Christians take things literally and those that do are backwards and dangerous and they are the zealots.

Most insane people I've ever met were Jewish Fundamentalists. Dangerous as fu ck and as backwards, to my reasoning, as they come.

Muslims aren't backward, no.

You're glad we don't live like them backward people though right? So do You consider the way you live your life superior to the way thu liv theirs? Them backward types that still believe in their religion in the country they live in I

Mean.

Exactly as VFTT said. Moderate religion is fine, but when taken in its literal sense, it's dangerous.

But you said you're glad we arent as backward as them wot is sexist, racist etc. would you say that you are those in the west that ain't religious and don't do them 'orrible things are less backward than them wot does?

But you said you're glad we arent as backward as them wot is sexist, racist etc. would you say that you are those in the west that ain't religious and don't do them 'orrible things are less backward than them wot does?

I have absolutely no idea what you are on about. You are twisting/changing my words and asking leading questions.

Now you are just putting words in my mouth.

And you, Turkish

And back to religion.... most religions are quite backwards when taken in their literal form, because they were formed in an age of racism, sexism and just general discrimination. They are a product of their time. Thankfully, in this country, we don't take Chr

istianity in its literal form anymore.

Hmmm, not really am I.

Archaic? It's their way of life and what they know and believe in. Live and let live surely?

As a dirty liberal ;), I subscribe to the harm principle. Do and say as much as you want as long as it doesn't limit another persons freedom or physically harm another person. Basically means, the maximum amount of freedom possible whilst maintaining a like for like for all. The only time physical harm can be used is to stop another person doing it themselves.

I'd say Saudi Arabia with their for example stoning of adulterers and homosexuals, and laws that limit equality(thus not like for like freedom), it is not, for me 'live and let live'.

Now you are just putting words in my mouth.

And you, Turkish

As a dirty liberal ;), I subscribe to the harm principle. Do and say as much as you want as long as it doesn't limit another persons freedom or physically harm another person. Basically means, the maximum amount of freedom possible whilst maintaining a like for like for all. The only time physical harm can be used is to stop another person doing it themselves.

I'd say Saudi Arabia with their for example stoning of adulterers and homosexuals, and laws that limit equality(thus not like for like freedom), it is not, for me 'live and let live'.

But they know the law. It's their law, their religion. It's not like they have someone sneak up and murder them in the night for something they know nothing about is it. It's the law of the nation. It might not be how we live in the west but it's how they live in those countries. If you lived there I suggest your views might be very different.

I'll be in a mosque tomorrow. The Iman, good bloke that he is, knows I think it's all ******s but neither he, nor any members of that mosque wish to stone or behead me. They simply accept the fact that I don't believe and I accept the fact that they do.

We live in a titular christian nation, foolish to say otherwise really, but that doesn't mean the population is christian as again that is patently untrue.

I don't trust what goes on in these mosques. From what i've read a significant number are breeding grounds for islamist extremism.

But they know the law. It's their law, their religion. It's not like they have someone sneak up and murder them in the night for something they know nothing about is it. It's the law of the nation. It might not be how we live in the west but it's how they live in those countries. If you lived there I suggest your views might be very different.

Well of course my views would be different if I lived there, because you are only allowed one view or you are quietly dealt with and that view isn't mine. I already said with my post on the harm principle what my view on that is.

I don't trust what goes on in these mosques. From what i've read a significant number are breeding grounds for islamist extremism.

Read where? Do you have statistics to back this up beyond your own niggle? I'm not saying that mosques haven't been recruiting grounds before, especially with the likes of Abu Qatada and such. But how can you justify and back up your statement that a significant number are grounds for the breeding of Islamist extremism? What percentage would say are and what evidence do you have to back that up?

Most Muslims in this country aren't extreme and are law abiding respectful citizens.

These Saudi sponsored mosques are the worst. Why aren't you and you lefty mates out their protesting against them? The wahhabi branch/the muslim brotherhood of Islam is as far right as you can get.

See link.... http://www.tellthechildrenthetruth.com/mbhood_en.html#part1

You've clearly never read any of the posts Verbal or I have made regarding the dangers of Wahhabism and it's role in spreading terror and fundamentalist ideas.

• 2 years later...

Religion should stay out of politics. Religious affiliation should need to be declared by political candidates in my opinion. As for whether we are a "Christian Country"? I would ask what on earth that means. We are a country of individuals with many differing views and affiliations so as an entire country I would be cautious about saying we are this or that.

Also I think one needs to look at statistics regarding faith, but even then be cautious as the polls are often biased or misleading. Are you really a Christian, even though you might tick the box on the census to say so, but don't go to church, and haven't really, properly, given the concept of an overseeing, omnipotent deity any real thought philosophically or scientifically? Plenty of those about. Christian because they're parents were etc...

I have just read a few pages of this thread and find it pretty odd that people were getting so wound up about this.

Surely the point, as Manuel says, is that "Christian Country" is a vague and subjective term which you can argue for or against depending on how you like to see Britain.

And if we are a Christian country, what does that then mean in practical terms? I can't see that anyone is suggesting that anything should actually be changed.

The better question is whether it is helpful for politicians to be proclaiming that we are one, and here I can't see any benefit. Surely calling ourselves a secular country is far more inclusive, and really doesn't impinge on Christians' sense of "home"?

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

After watching the baiting and the bullying above. It appears on this thread that some people feel they can say what they want about one faith but are scared to death to comment on other religions in case they sound bigoted and/or get banned. This is the real issue that stifles true freedom of speech and debate on this forum and in broader life. If someone can attack one religion without fear of reprisal they should be able to criticise other belief systems without attack or ridicule. However, that will not happen in modern Britain and it definitely wont happen on this forum. Therefore, it is a waste of time discussing it as the outcomes will be biased to the intolerant and aggressive every time.

Like many (if not the majority) in this Country, I am a lapsed Christian (christenings, weddings and funerals only). Like many, I believe in the basic humanist rules of Christianity for leading my life but have evolved to opt out of the literal aspects that many feel are now irrelevant.

Others who follow different belief systems and maintain those literal aspects will be tolerated but those literal aspects will not be accepted as relevant any more - that is our free choice to do so.

Be thankful that this society is tolerant and allows this to happen. If you lived in many of those other societies you would not be able to express an opinion or exhibit free speech.

Peace

Perhaps Turkish could have said go to a mosque in Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Bangladesh, Somalia, Indonesia and tell them its all b******s and see what response you get. None of those nations are as tolerant as this one which is something that this country can be proud of.

While this nation still exists in what we might call a 'Christian tradition' clearly for the most part the UK is now overwhelmingly a secular society. There are some noticeable exceptions to this rule in places such as Northern Ireland, and indeed among many of our more recent immigrant populations, but I think in general this is the truth. From a historical perspective this secular society of ours is a relatively new, and still quite uncommon thing in the world. Most Victorians for instance might well find our current level of indifference regarding matters of faith to be quite shocking. I strongly suspect even today many devout British Muslim would feel likewise. But there you go - it is what it is.

Why has British society developed this relatively atypical culture?

Many would say that the spread of education and a more widespread understanding of the rational explanations that science does offer for what were hitherto the unknowable mysteries of the world plays a part here. I also suspect that the unprecedented levels of wealth and social care that many of us now enjoy in this 'welfare state' of ours enables the common people (for the first time in history) to live their lives now with a reduced reliance upon the old solaces of family, community and church - comforts those living much harder existences in the past found so very necessary. However, none of the above can provide a full explanation because wealth, social care and scientific knowledge are available in the United States and Italy too and it is generally accepted that these societies are still far more religiously inclined than ours is. So this is a question I cannot even pretend to fully answer.

Be that as it may there is one last point I want to make here. Although like most on here I'm not a man of faith myself, I must confess that I find the teachings of the Bible to be inspiring and the New Testament in particular to be without any doubt quite the wisest and most remarkable work of philosophy I've ever read. I must also add that many of the best Human Beings it has ever been my privilege to meet in life have also been deeply religious people. For example, recently a Catholic lady of my acquaintance told me she was giving up her (successful) business in order to devote the rest of her life to caring for terminally ill people.

Make of that what you will, but perhaps one of the reasons many of us are now so non religious in outlook is that to accept Christ into our life's, and live life as he taught us to, would be so daunting a prospect that many of us just can't face up to it anymore.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Reminds me of a sketch in "Bottom" where Richie is praising Britain for it's Christian values and Eddie points out that Richie never goes to church.

Richie replies "I don't need to go to church, I'm Church of England".

It's telling that both times, the catalyst for this debate has been David Cameron. I'm inclined to have a rare amount of agreement with aintforever; it's just posturing for an audience he knows exists; largely the pensioner crowd that have been spared the brunt of the cuts. He's looking for numbers in the upcoming elections.

I don't really know what Cameron really believes, but the messages in the New Testament don't seem to be particularly well-reconciled with his "f**k the poor" policies. He seems to be using Christianity as a means of identifying with the voters, rather than any wholesale demonstration of its values.

I remember reading an excellent desk sign once, simply reading:-

The Christian Right is neither.

Sums it up for me.

So Cameron writes an article in the Church Times saying what a good Christain he is but, when the Bishop of Oxford arranges to present a petition signed by 40 Anglican bishops and 600 other clerics to his constituency office, they call the police and refuse him entry.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-camerons-constituency-office-calls-police-on-food-bank-campaigners-bishop-of-oxford-and-reverend-keith-hebden-9274303.html

So Cameron writes an article in the Church Times saying what a good Christain he is but, when the Bishop of Oxford arranges to present a petition signed by 40 Anglican bishops and 600 other clerics to his constituency office, they call the police and refuse him entry.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-camerons-constituency-office-calls-police-on-food-bank-campaigners-bishop-of-oxford-and-reverend-keith-hebden-9274303.html

Does this mean we're a secular country again?

Many would say that the spread of education and a more widespread understanding of the rational explanations that science does offer for what were hitherto the unknowable mysteries of the world plays a part here. I also suspect that the unprecedented levels of wealth and social care that many of us now enjoy in this 'welfare state' of ours enables the common people (for the first time in history) to live their lives now with a reduced reliance upon the old solaces of family, community and church - comforts those living much harder existences in the past found so very necessary. However, none of the above can provide a full explanation because wealth, social care and scientific knowledge are available in the United States and Italy too and it is generally accepted that these societies are still far more religiously inclined than ours is. So this is a question I cannot even pretend to fully answer.

Whilst all this is undoubtedly true, I suggest there are also other historical factors at play.

If we examine the last 400 years or so of our country’s history, we had religious wars in the 16th century, followed by maniacal Puritanism in the 17th century, followed by parson’s aligning themselves with squires and other members of the gentry in the 18th century – life as a clergyman was an established career path for younger sons of the aristocracy. Little wonder then, by the time of the educational enlightenment of the 19th century, vast numbers of ‘the common people’ had already become somewhat disenchanted and detached from ‘the state religion’.

Yes, more people went to church back then, but for many, especially those who worked for the landed gentry, regular church attendance was obligatory. Undoubtedly, some found solace from their miserable existence, but I expect others were made even more miserable by having to spend their extremely limited free time listening to their pontificating ‘betters’.

Of course, I’m generalising here, and I’m not denying that many religiously motivated people – of all persuasions – have done a great deal of good for their fellow humans; I’m simply suggesting that ‘the state religion’ hasn’t exactly helped its own cause over the last 400 years or so.

While this nation still exists in what we might call a 'Christian tradition' clearly for the most part the UK is now overwhelmingly a secular society. There are some noticeable exceptions to this rule in places such as Northern Ireland, and indeed among many of our more recent immigrant populations, but I think in general this is the truth. From a historical perspective this secular society of ours is a relatively new, and still quite uncommon thing in the world. Most Victorians for instance might well find our current level of indifference regarding matters of faith to be quite shocking. I strongly suspect even today many devout British Muslim would feel likewise. But there you go - it is what it is.

Be that as it may there is one last point I want to make here. Although like most on here I'm not a man of faith myself, I must confess that I find the teachings of the Bible to be inspiring and the New Testament in particular to be without any doubt quite the wisest and most remarkable work of philosophy I've ever read. I must also add that many of the best Human Beings it has ever been my privilege to meet in life have also been deeply religious people. For example, recently a Catholic lady of my acquaintance told me she was giving up her (successful) business in order to devote the rest of her life to caring for terminally ill people.

Make of that what you will, but perhaps one of the reasons many of us are now so non religious in outlook is that to accept Christ into our life's, and live life as he taught us to, would be so daunting a prospect that many of us just can't face up to it anymore.

Good post i dont think we are a religious country and I'm glad about that and I think we are being true to our roots of our original pagan religion before we got rid of being ruled by rome so old henry formed the church of england so he could get divorced.nowadays all I can see in most church's are crusty old men with unhealthy interest in young boys.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Religion should stay out of politics. Religious affiliation should need to be declared by political candidates in my opinion. As for whether we are a "Christian Country"? I would ask what on earth that means. We are a country of individuals with many differing views and affiliations so as an entire country I would be cautious about saying we are this or that.

Also I think one needs to look at statistics regarding faith, but even then be cautious as the polls are often biased or misleading. Are you really a Christian, even though you might tick the box on the census to say so, but don't go to church, and haven't really, properly, given the concept of an overseeing, omnipotent deity any real thought philosophically or scientifically? Plenty of those about. Christian because they're parents were etc...

A religion, or the absence of a religion, is part of a person's value system. To demand that religion stays out of politics would mean anybody with any views on religion should not be a politician. That seems a bit extreme.

And I would have thought that demanding that religious affiliation be declared by political candidates is one way to increase the effect of religion on politics.

That is an interesting thought, the greed of our capitalist way of life does fly in the face of Christian values. I'm not religious in the slightest but do find the churches views on today's obscene lifestyles refreshing.

That is an interesting thought, the greed of our capitalist way of life does fly in the face of Christian values. I'm not religious in the slightest but do find the churches views on today's obscene lifestyles refreshing.

I agree. Forget the walking on water , the water into wine, the raising the dead stuff, the fishes and the loaves, the rising from the dead etc etc. When you take some time out, ignore the mumbo jumbo rituals and read what Jesus was reported to have said I have to conclude that he was an all round good bloke. If we could all just aspire to his code then life would be so much better for all of us.

Was thinking last weekend how Good Friday has changed even in last 20 years without being aware. Used to be no sport, shops or anything and would be a day of reflection. Now just a bank holiday and indicative of how commercial interest has more influence with govt. than Christian beliefs do.

And as aside I feel no one is more annoying than a smug atheist preaching their anti-prejudice, oh so liberal humanitarian views. Give me the archbishop of Canterbury over Dawkins every time for kindness, compassion, tolerance and other values that should be the bedrock of our society.