Is Britain a Christian country?

pap

As a few people here have already mentioned, 'Christmas' is a festival that has been adopted by the christian church, and adapted to fit their perception of events. The fesival, and the traditions of gift giving behind it, have been in existence alot longer than the christian faith has existed.

In my view, religion and the belief in a higher being that is all seeing/knowing, was developed by humans as a coping mechanism to help them understand things in which they have no comprehension. However, i feel that the need for religion has been eroded by science answering alot of the questions that people attributed to religion.

So while Britain is still classed as a christian country, it wont be for much longer. I dont know many people, of any race/creed, who regularly participate in any religios festival for any other reason than tradition or fun!

However, there is still room for belief (just not organised religion that states the earth was formed in 7 days and that dinosaurs did not exist!)

This is one of my favourite quotes from the great man himself

"What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide how the universe began. This doesn't prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary". [stephen W. Hawking, Der Spiegel, 1989]

Although he'd have no clue about this, Turkish has stumbled on an important and largely ignored issue. Religion in everyday life is not about belief but about ritual. Christmas trees and easter eggs, co-opted pagan symbols the pair of them, are ritual markers of faith. And it's in the comfort of rituals that people mostly profess their faith, not some existential argument about higher beings.

This is where Dawkins gets it horribly wrong: his arguments are all, in the end, about the ways in which scientific method has rendered religious belief in a Deity redundant. No wonder he can't puzzle out why it nonetheless continues to exist.

Edited by Verbal

Speaking as a father myself, I think you'd raise your opinion of your children attending a RC school if you thought it was not in their best interest.

I had no problem sending the kids to a RC school, or them being raised in the traditions of their mother. Equally, I had no problem when my eldest daughter asked to be confirmed.

I may have been part of the process of bringing my kids into the world, but that doesn't mean that I own their thoughts or beliefs. It isn't for me to decide whether they believe in God or not, which is sort of ironic really, because a lot of religious families are perfectly happy with this concept.

I had no problem sending the kids to a RC school, or them being raised in the traditions of their mother. Equally, I had no problem when my eldest daughter asked to be confirmed.

I may have been part of the process of bringing my kids into the world, but that doesn't mean that I own their thoughts or beliefs. It isn't for me to decide whether they believe in God or not, which is sort of ironic really, because a lot of religious families are perfectly happy with this concept.

The point I was attemping to make, all be it badly, is that although you rightly profess to not owning your childrens thoughts or beliefs you are greenlighting the roman catholic faith to your children by agreeing for them to be educated by these establishments.

Not that I think you are doing anything wrong... :)

The point I was attemping to make, all be it badly, is that although you rightly profess to not owning your childrens thoughts or beliefs you are greenlighting the roman catholic faith to your children by agreeing for them to be educated by these establishments.

Not that I think you are doing anything wrong... :)

It certainly wouldn't be the first thing my kids have taken up that I didn't agree with. The 12 year old likes One Direction, ffs - I can't tell you how much it pains me to line Simon Cowell's pockets.

Most people I know still Christen their children, most people I know still get married in a church, most funerals I go to are in a church. In my world we are a christian.

This.

While I myself am not a religious person (raised Roman Catholic, now agnostic-leaning-towards-atheist) most of our culture is undeniably based around christianity. We are experiencing a cultural shift though, with more people getting married in registry offices etc. and also with more people of different faiths now present in the population. I appreciate the morals that christianity teaches, but just not all the "miracles and our lord above" baggage that comes with it. I'm sure when the results for this census are published it will show a steep drop in religious values held by those under the age of 30 in this country. I barely know anyone my age who would describe themselves as religious (aside from a few devoutly catholic friends, a few muslim friends and a few jewish friends).

Yet you're happy for your wife to be a much stronger influence on their belief system?

Interesting point on the Big Questions from Jonathan Bartley, author of "Faith and Politics after Christendom".

JB: "This country has never been a Christian country. I don't think it is now. Let's take our definition, controversially, as the values of Jesus Christ. Is this country really endorsing the values of Jesus Christ?"

Nicky Campbell: "What would it look like were it to endorse the values of Jesus Christ?"

JB: "We might forgive our enemies a little bit more. We might have a more equal society. We might not encourage a capitalist system that makes people compete against each other."

Yet you're happy for your wife to be a much stronger influence on their belief system?

I am happy for my kids to experience a broad range of perspectives, which they can take or leave based on the evidence available to them, and crucially, their own decision making process.

Now you may be trying to wind me up by suggesting that Ms pap wears the trousers. If you'd like to believe that, knock yourself out. I have to admit, I'd probably have a much stronger opinion if getting involved in religion was a one-shot deal. e.g. once you get involved in it, you're in it forever. However, my own experience tells me that's not the case. I used to believe when I was in primary school. I don't anymore, and I'm sure my broad experience is not unique.

Digressing a little, I see my job as a parent as preparing the kids for the world outside, to teach them not to accept things at face value and to have the confidence to assert their own opinion. If that ends up being in conflict with my own views, that's perfectly fine.

I keep hearing that this isn't a Christian country, Jesus wasn't born on the 25th of December, didnt exist, religion is a load of ****** etc etc yet the fact remains that 4 public holidays in this country are Christian festivals, which you all celebrate in your own way and only do on that day because they are a religious holiday, even though the reasons behind them may have been lost. The birth and death of Jesus, who is the reason christianity exists in the first place. Loads of people get married in Christian church and buried or cremated in a religious ceremonies, regardless of if they believe in god or not. How can this be, when many of you claim not to live in a christian country?

I keep hearing that this isn't a Christian country, Jesus wasn't born on the 25th of December, didnt exist, religion is a load of ****** etc etc yet the fact remains that 4 public holidays in this country are Christian festivals, which you all celebrate in your own way and only do on that day because they are a religious holiday, even though the reasons behind them may have been lost. The birth and death of Jesus, who is the reason christianity exists in the first place. Loads of people get married in Christian church and buried or cremated in a religious ceremonies, regardless of if they believe in god or not. How can this be, when many of you claim not to live in a christian country?

Well, you're focusing on the rituals instead of the message.

Do you really think the country is run according to the teachings of Jesus Christ?

And like saintbletch, I would be interested in knowing whether you are a practising Christian.

Would you mind if I asked if you are a Christian? Completely understand if you don't want to answer.

I'm not religious, but I do accept that religion rightly or wrongly has shaped the world we live in and Britian is a Christian country. I find all these people that Celebrate Christmas and Easter, go to nativity plays about the birth of Jesus, get married in churches and then claim all religion is ******** and this isn't a Christian country hilarious though.

Scotland, Wales and Ireland are definitely Christian countries but England is at a point where one is in doubt. Religious perhaps in that the majority are either Christian, Muslum, Hindu or Jewish. We ought to hold a referendum to find out.

I'm not religious, but I do accept that religion rightly or wrongly has shaped the world we live in and Britian is a Christian country. I find all these people that Celebrate Christmas and Easter, go to nativity plays about the birth of Jesus, get married in churches and then claim all religion is ******** and this isn't a Christian country hilarious though.

Yes, but I don't think all of those people are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ on Christmas day. I think Christmas is largely secular these days for many.

And I don't think the amount of people Christened and married in churches shows that we are religious. I was christened, more out of tradition, but it is happening less and less these days... and more and more are opting for non-church marriages as well, but many who aren't religious get married in churches anyway because they like the backdrop because of how it'll look in photos etc That's what is happening in my generation anyways.

Then you either haven't read or haven't understood a lot of the comments on this thread.

The giving of gifts and having a tree, light, decorations etc aren't Christian traditions, they go back a lot longer than that, as does the celebrating with symbols like eggs at Easter time. They've always happened then and for quite sensible reasons that don't even require religion at all. Just because Christianity picked up on them, doesn't mean Christianity owns them. There's no hypocrisy there at all. Even getting married in a church; for many this is the use of a big, splendid building that is at the centre of the community. I'm not religious, but I found a church a brilliant place for a wedding, much nicer than some dull old hall or reception office somewhere. When I was a kid, we went to various community events at the local scout hut, I never did join the scouts or take much of an interest in what they were about either.

I see the point you are making, and you are correct in that a lot of public policy etc.. is dictated by Christian tradition, such as the naming of public holidays and the use of churches for weddings and funerals. But to use this to claim that we are Christian as a nation is a flawed argument. There are a whole lot of policies that are produced from secular thinking as well.

If the govt dictates that I don't work on Christmas and Easter, then so be it. I care little for the origins of these holidays, only that I get them and can enjoy some time off work with my friends and family. I often joke at Easter that getting 4 days off work just because some long-haired Jewish bloke gobbed off at some Roman soldiers 2000 years ago and got himself executed is absolutely fine by me.

Well, its an issue with hypocrisy all around.

I know people who are genuine believers, in that they truly live their lives according to the teachings of Jesus Christ, to the extent where I've seen them turn paying work down because it is incompatible with their beliefs. I don't agree with them, but they get kudos for at least practising what they preach.

You're right to call out people who get married in churches despite not having any religious convictions, and are, as SaintAndy666 points out, only doing it because its a nicer/more traditional setting.

Equally though, I find almost as much hypocrisy in people that'll tell you that they are Christian, yet spend all their time doing distinctly un-Christian things.

You are 100% right to call out hypocrisy where you see it. It's central to the whole debate. After all, what else is hypocrisy apart from the difference between what people say and what people do? I'd humbly suggest that if you are looking for more "hilarious" moments, you'd probably find more mirth by widening your demographic.

As others have said, your stubborn refusal to understand other corrective arguments on this thread, or your more likely failure to understand them, is just making this all a bit repetitive. Why don't you spend a little time - you seem to have so much of it - and bother to think about some decent counter-arguments, rather than this incoherent mess.

As for measuring the level of Christian-ness of a country by counting the number of public holidays - as banal an argument as I could imagine for quantifying religiosity - it runs up against the obvious counter-example of the US. No Easter holidays, and no Christmas holidays either. And yet you could not imagine a country, in places, with more religious fervour.

As others have said, your stubborn refusal to understand other corrective arguments on this thread, or your more likely failure to understand them, is just making this all a bit repetitive. Why don't you spend a little time - you seem to have so much of it - and bother to think about some decent counter-arguments, rather than this incoherent mess.

As for measuring the level of Christian-ness of a country by counting the number of public holidays - as banal an argument as I could imagine for quantifying religiosity - it runs up against the obvious counter-example of the US. No Easter holidays, and no Christmas holidays either. And yet you could not imagine a country, in places, with more religious fervour.

As you are incapable, or appear to be, of discussing anything without coming across as patronising and condesending, i will treat your comments with the distain they deserve and suggest you up your medication for your Narcissistic personality disorder.

Well, its an issue with hypocrisy all around.

I know people who are genuine believers, in that they truly live their lives according to the teachings of Jesus Christ, to the extent where I've seen them turn paying work down because it is incompatible with their beliefs. I don't agree with them, but they get kudos for at least practising what they preach.

You're right to call out people who get married in churches despite not having any religious convictions, and are, as SaintAndy666 points out, only doing it because its a nicer/more traditional setting.

Equally though, I find almost as much hypocrisy in people that'll tell you that they are Christian, yet spend all their time doing distinctly un-Christian things.

You are 100% right to call out hypocrisy where you see it. It's central to the whole debate. After all, what else is hypocrisy apart from the difference between what people say and what people do? I'd humbly suggest that if you are looking for more "hilarious" moments, you'd probably find more mirth by widening your demographic.

1,000s of people gett their kids christened every year, yet apparantly we dont live in a christian country.

Yes, but I don't think all of those people are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ on Christmas day. I think Christmas is largely secular these days for many.

And I don't think the amount of people Christened and married in churches shows that we are religious. I was christened, more out of tradition, but it is happening less and less these days... and more and more are opting for non-church marriages as well, but many who aren't religious get married in churches anyway because they like the backdrop because of how it'll look in photos etc That's what is happening in my generation anyways.

Why bother christening people in a church? Save the money and do it in a back garden with a bucket of water. It'd mean exactly the same thing. Why not drive out to a country park and get your pictures taken there if you want a nice backdrop for your wedding photos? Why get cremated in a chapel?

Then you either haven't read or haven't understood a lot of the comments on this thread.

The giving of gifts and having a tree, light, decorations etc aren't Christian traditions, they go back a lot longer than that, as does the celebrating with symbols like eggs at Easter time. They've always happened then and for quite sensible reasons that don't even require religion at all. Just because Christianity picked up on them, doesn't mean Christianity owns them. There's no hypocrisy there at all. Even getting married in a church; for many this is the use of a big, splendid building that is at the centre of the community. I'm not religious, but I found a church a brilliant place for a wedding, much nicer than some dull old hall or reception office somewhere. When I was a kid, we went to various community events at the local scout hut, I never did join the scouts or take much of an interest in what they were about either.

Christmas IS the birth of Jesus, it IS a christian fesitival.

When is you companies Passover party this year? What are you getting you friends for Ramadam this year Bexy?

Don't be so pedantic. You posted the fact that thousands of kids get Christened every year is evidence that we are a Christian country. It isn't and you know full well it isn't. I have already agreed with you that many aspects of our modern culture have their traditions in the Christian faith, but do not prove we are a Christian country.

Not sure exactly what more you are trying to prove.

Don't be so pedantic. You posted the fact that thousands of kids get Christened every year is evidence that we are a Christian country. It isn't and you know full well it isn't. I have already agreed with you that many aspects of our modern culture have their traditions in the Christian faith, but do not prove we are a Christian country.

Not sure exactly what more you are trying to prove.

So we have the traiditions of the christian faith in our modern society, celebrate the birth and death of the Christ. get married, christened and buried in his churchs. Our PM says we are christian nation and our Queen is a christian yet none of this proves we are a christian nation apparantly. :rolleyes:

Why bother christening people in a church? Save the money and do it in a back garden with a bucket of water. It'd mean exactly the same thing. Why not drive out to a country park and get your pictures taken there if you want a nice backdrop for your wedding photos? Why get cremated in a chapel?

Because people live the church weddings, not because they are religious, but for the romantic feel of it. A lot of it is just tradition.

Also, Christmas's date was set because of a compromise between it and paganism. A lot of our religious stuff comes from that compromise, which I think was Constantines idea? Someone with a bit more knowledge of it all will be able to fill in the gaps. In short, religions have been stealing other religions ideas and dates for ages. Many people celebrating Christmas today let it have nothing to do with Christ... it's just the date to have family over and exchange gifts. Why not another day? Because it evolved out of the traditional religious Christmas.

So we have the traiditions of the christian faith in our modern society, celebrate the birth and death of the Christ. get married, christened and buried in his churchs. Our PM says we are christian nation and our Queen is a christian yet none of this proves we are a christian nation apparantly. :rolleyes:

"Britain is a Christian country!", says non-religious person.

Better not let Turkish see this. He hates hypocrisy.

Because people live the church weddings, not because they are religious, but for the romantic feel of it. A lot of it is just tradition.

Also, Christmas's date was set because of a compromise between it and paganism. A lot of our religious stuff comes from that compromise, which I think was Constantines idea? Someone with a bit more knowledge of it all will be able to fill in the gaps. In short, religions have been stealing other religions ideas and dates for ages. Many people celebrating Christmas today let it have nothing to do with Christ... it's just the date to have family over and exchange gifts. Why not another day? Because it evolved out of the traditional religious Christmas.

If it wasn't for christianity there wouldn't be a nice church to have the dream romantic wedding in. No vicar to give the service.

The number of logical fallacies you've employed (in fact, almost the full set) indicates that you're so entrenched in your opinion, you don't have any interest in actually discussing/debating the issue. So there seems little mileage in continuing the thread, n'est pas?

For starters, I couldn't give a toss what Dave Cameron says about our religious heritage. And as for the Queen - she made an oath at her coronation to 'uphold God's law' but has since given royal assent to many laws which go against the laws of God as dictated in the Old Testament, therefore she is nothing but a hypocrite as well.

The history of such things as Xmas and Easter holidays, church weddings, christenings etc... are born out of Christian traditions, but have now become so deeply ingrained in our society that we no longer focus on the religious aspect of them. Ask any kid if he is looking forward to celebrating the resurrection of Christ this Easter and all you will get is a blank look - all they will give a toss about is how many chocolate eggs they are going to get.

If it satisfies you, I will admit that we are a Christian country only in the sense that our ancestors had their pagan traditions beaten out of them by the Romans and replaced with slightly different traditions that can be associated with Jesus in some way, under the threat of persecution or death if they didn't comply, just like the rest of Europe.

The number of logical fallacies you've employed (in fact, almost the full set) indicates that you're so entrenched in your opinion, you don't have any interest in actually discussing/debating the issue. So there seems little mileage in continuing the thread, n'est pas?

What evidence is there that we ARE NOT a christian nation? When is our time off work this year for Ramadam?

Edited by Turkish

For starters, I couldn't give a toss what Dave Cameron says about our religious heritage. And as for the Queen - she made an oath at her coronation to 'uphold God's law' but has since given royal assent to many laws which go against the laws of God as dictated in the Old Testament, therefore she is nothing but a hypocrite as well.

The history of such things as Xmas and Easter holidays, church weddings, christenings etc... are born out of Christian traditions, but have now become so deeply ingrained in our society that we no longer focus on the religious aspect of them. Ask any kid if he is looking forward to celebrating the resurrection of Christ this Easter and all you will get is a blank look - all they will give a toss about is how many chocolate eggs they are going to get.

If it satisfies you, I will admit that we are a Christian country only in the sense that our ancestors had their pagan traditions beaten out of them by the Romans and replaced with slightly different traditions that can be associated with Jesus in some way, under the threat of persecution or death if they didn't comply, just like the rest of Europe.

Ahh the coronation, i'm glad you've mentioned that. So the Queen, in her role as ruler of Britain upholds gods law, upholding the law of god over the country she rules, yes? Is this more evidence that we aren't a christian nation?

god, we have some right dullards on here...

of course we are (if anything) a christian country.....I am not christian but I recognise that many of the values we all find acceptable to live by are in fact christian.

I celebrate XMAS and have a knees up..but lets not hide the fact we all jump on the back of what has become a christian holiday....same goes for easter etc

Ahh the coronation, i'm glad you've mentioned that. So the Queen, in her role as ruler of Britain upholds gods law, upholding the law of god over the country she rules, yes? Is this more evidence that we aren't a christian nation?

Since when was God limited to just Christianity?

god, we have some right dullards on here...

of course we are (if anything) a christian country.....I am not christian but I recognise that many of the values we all find acceptable to live by are in fact christian.

I celebrate XMAS and have a knees up..but lets not hide the fact we all jump on the back of what has become a christian holiday....same goes for easter etc

I take it you haven't read St Andys and Bexys post, we aren't a christian nation because although we celebrate christian festivals. our ruler is a christian, the whole basis our of culture and history being shaped by christianity and use christian churchs to the key moments in our lives we only do it because it's nice to do and something about making great photos.

Church attendances, for a start.

the numbers of people that go to church do not define a nation...the values we live by (not sharia law etc) and what we find acceptable in day to day society was shaped by the christian faith...not by Judaism, hinduism, islam (unfortunately for you I'm guessing)

the numbers of people that go to church do not define a nation...the values we live by (not sharia law etc) and what we find acceptable in day to day society was shaped by the christian faith...not by Judaism, hinduism, islam (unfortunately for you I'm guessing)

No, and neither do the archaic traditions that were imposed on us many centuries ago.

It's all very well public officials maintaining these quaint rituals and the Queen using the concept of God as some kind of divine mandate for her to rule over us, but ultimately it is all meaningless if less than half of the population self-identify themselves as being Christian. The Christian values you refer to (love thy neighbour etc...) do not require submission to a religious sect in order to dictate our actions. Most of it is just plain common sense thinking that people would undoubtedly arrive at if the whole concept of God and religion had never been dreamt up in the first place.

I take it you haven't read St Andys and Bexys post, we aren't a christian nation because although we celebrate christian festivals. our ruler is a christian, the whole basis our of culture and history being shaped by christianity and use christian churchs to the key moments in our lives we only do it because it's nice to do and something about making great photos.

History is one thing, and of course our History is a Christian one, but today most people simply aren't that Christian. They don't read the Bible, abide by what the Bible says and they don't attend church or even see God as a large part of their life. To be Christian is to try to emulate and be like Christ. No way do we in our country try to that.

And I object to the idea of 'Christian values' as Christianity does not have a monopoly on certain values. There are just values, and some Modern Christians decide to adopt these values as their own. For sure though, we don't follow Christianity that closely in this country. For example, we don't stone adulterers... even if our past was Christian, it doesn't really matter to most people in their everyday lives anymore. I'm not saying as a whole, we are an atheist country, we are just very apathetic to it all.

History is one thing, and of course our History is a Christian one, but today most people simply aren't that Christian. They don't read the Bible, abide by what the Bible says and they don't attend church or even see God as a large part of their life. To be Christian is to try to emulate and be like Christ. No way do we in our country try to that.

And I object to the idea of 'Christian values' as Christianity does not have a monopoly on certain values. There are just values, and some of those Modern Christians decide to adopt.as their own. For sure though, we don't follow Christianity that closely in this country. For example, we don't stone adulterers... even if our past was Christian, it doesn't really matter to most people in their everyday lives anymore. I'm not saying as a whole, we are an atheist country, we are just very apathetic to it all.

Why do witnesses and defendants in court have to swear on the bible to tell the truth if we are not a christian nation?