Which Convertible...

The missus is looking at buying a car, and we have several on our radar. However, I wanted to know if anyone has any prior experience with any of these cars, or anything we should think about before purchasing. The cars we're looking at are:

2007 Mercedes CLK 280 Sport

2005 BMW M3

2006 Porsche Boxster 2.7

2008 Audi A4 2.0T

Any advice will be welcomed.

Porsche, a genuine out and out sports car rather then adapted sallon/hatch.

The only thing with that is, we would prefer 4 seats, and it also needs a place for my golf bats, or I'll have to go pick up a car as well (which is a waster frankly working in London). Also, with the Boxster you always look like the bloke who can't afford a 911.

The only thing with that is, we would prefer 4 seats, and it also needs a place for my golf bats, or I'll have to go pick up a car as well (which is a waster frankly working in London). Also, with the Boxster you always look like the bloke who can't afford a 911.

You should check out the Volvo C70

I had a good look a few years ago for the Mrs. Narrowed it down to the Audi & the SAAB, then plumped for the SAAB, then chickened out.

The SAAB is still the best looker of the 4 seaters IMO. I know there could be maintenance issues unless you can find a good independant, but you might get a good deal.

The Audi turbos are very good engines, I've got an A3 1.8T Quattro. It pulls well and never missed a beat.

But out of all of those, I'd go for the M3. The Boxter is a poor man's Porsche, I'd want more than an Audi for that money, and the Merc is a bit flashy for me.

I also really like the look of the M3

The Audi turbos are very good engines, I've got an A3 1.8T Quattro. It pulls well and never missed a beat.

But out of all of those, I'd go for the M3. The Boxter is a poor man's Porsche, I'd want more than an Audi for that money, and the Merc is a bit flashy for me.

I also really like the look of the M3

Yeah, know all about Audi engines having had a TT for the last 5 years.

I reckon the M3 too, the girl is leaning towards the CLK.

I'm possibly going to buy an M3 myself, they are great cars but do make sure you get the subframe checked for cracks, the block for unwanted oil (the E46 block can be porus apparently) and it must have had the all important running in service.

I've found some really good 04/05's with 50ish K for circa £13-14K. That's a lot of performance for the money.

The missus is looking at buying a car, and we have several on our radar. However, I wanted to know if anyone has any prior experience with any of these cars, or anything we should think about before purchasing. The cars we're looking at are:

2007 Mercedes CLK 280 Sport

2005 BMW M3

2006 Porsche Boxster 2.7

2008 Audi A4 2.0T

Any advice will be welcomed.

Do you really want a seven year old BMW? No, wouldn't have thought so. The Boxster is hideous, the Audi looks like a box. I'd go for the CLK, very comfy, although again a little old.

Consider a C70 T5. Seriously - they are lovely cars, solid, extremely comfy, all the toys etc. I can't be bothered to waste time looking for a good example, so this'll do: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3588072.htm

Do you really want a seven year old BMW? No, wouldn't have thought so. The Boxster is hideous, the Audi looks like a box. I'd go for the CLK, very comfy, although again a little old.

Consider a C70 T5. Seriously - they are lovely cars, solid, extremely comfy, all the toys etc. I can't be bothered to waste time looking for a good example, so this'll do: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3588072.htm

We're not in our 50's so no.

We test drove the CLK, an A4 3.2 Quattro and an M3 today. CLK was frankly poor to drive, if you like driving, don't. Cumbersome and boring. A4 really surprised, was excellent but even then it was nowhere near the M3, looks wise or performance wise(but is nicer inside). The girlfriend wanted a CLK and didn't want an M3, now she's crossed off the CLK and have got a decision to make between the A4 and the M3.

We're not in our 50's so no.

We test drove the CLK, an A4 3.2 Quattro and an M3 today. CLK was frankly poor to drive, if you like driving, don't. Cumbersome and boring. A4 really surprised, was excellent but even then it was nowhere near the M3, looks wise or performance wise(but is nicer inside). The girlfriend wanted a CLK and didn't want an M3, now she's crossed off the CLK and have got a decision to make between the A4 and the M3.

Why bother with test drives and asking opinions on here? Sounds like you'd already decided you wanted an M3 and are just seeking to persuade your gf that she should want one too :?

Edited by buctootim

Why bother with test drives and asking opinions on here? Sounds like you'd already decided you wanted an M3 and are just seeking to persuade your gf that she should want one too :?

I was looking for any tips to do with the cars, anything we should look out for etc to do with those cars. Just because we didn't want a C70? My Dad has one and frankly we didn"t want the same car! We went and test drove the cars, she didn't enjoy the CLK, so we decided against it. I really liked the A4 personally, just wasn't quick enough.