RIght, new car time - advice

Thedelldays

I am down sizing my car. want to get something more practical, economical but still a little fun.

at the mo, I am torn between a Mini Cooper S or a Honda Civic Type R.

both are around £6000-£6500

both are 2005 plate and between 50k-60k miles

now, both seem very similar in performance.

civic seems a little bit more chavvy but the mini seems a little bit more girly

anyone drive or driven the above...

cheers

I am down sizing my car. want to get something more practical, economical but still a little fun.

at the mo, I am torn between a Mini Cooper S or a Honda Civic Type R.

both are around £6000-£6500

both are 2005 plate and between 50k-60k miles

now, both seem very similar in performance.

civic seems a little bit more chavvy but the mini seems a little bit more girly

anyone drive or driven the above...

cheers

Mini is girly, stay away if you can.

How about a Volvo C30 with the R Design kit on it. Very nice cars, great looking etc? Worth a go I'd say.

Apart from that, Alfa GT, Renalt Megane 225, Citroen C4 VTS, Mazda 3 Sport, Fiat Bravo Sport.

Never driven one so cant comment about the car, but had a Alfa 156 with that same engine - good choice. Check whether its the 120 or 150bhp unit though.

Edited by buctootim

I would say a few too many miles to be comfortable buying an Alfa.

I would go with buctootims recommendation above.

Mini - far better!

I made the mistake of calling arnold clark..they were literally calling me hourly to try and get me into their show room...also, when I said I could not make it today, the bloke said "why can't you just buy they car over the phone"...

umm, let me think...

A balanced opinion. We own a mini Cooper and an Alfa 156 diesel. The Alfa destroys the mini in terms of performance, economy and believe it or not build. The internal materials on the Alfa blow the mini away.

The 147 is largely the same car.

For me, the 147. 60k BTW is nothing for that engine.

A balanced opinion. We own a mini Cooper and an Alfa 156 diesel. The Alfa destroys the mini in terms of performance, economy and believe it or not build. The internal materials on the Alfa blow the mini away.

The 147 is largely the same car.

For me, the 147. 60k BTW is nothing for that engine.

It's more the electrics in Alfa's isn't it?

I cannot believe Delldays started a thread to say he was torn between a Cooper S and a Type R, but then decides it's a 120bhp Diesel powered 146 that is the 'exciting' car for him. He'd truly have been better off buying a Skoda Fabia Vrs Mark 1 if he wanted to go the practical and exciting route.

I cannot believe Delldays started a thread to say he was torn between a Cooper S and a Type R, but then decides it's a 120bhp Diesel powered 146 that is the 'exciting' car for him. He'd truly have been better off buying a Skoda Fabia Vrs Mark 1 if he wanted to go the practical and exciting route.

why.....it is just a car.....I had about 3 days to get one and stuck in the arm pit of scotland

Because it's the complete antithesis to what you said you wanted.

those were not what I particularly wanted..I wanted a cheaper to run car than my previous Nissan 350z.

where i was, there was about 3 car garages in about a 30 mile radius.........opted for the diesel in the end...which seems the right choice...£75 fuel for 500 miles of motor way just now...

Thats good! I get circa 320 miles for £75

it was a breeze.....sat at 80mph all the way from glasgow, to the m6 down to bristol and then home

probably more like 450 miles to be fair...it is only a 120bhp lol...got a little bit of kick to it though

god knows what that trip would have cost in my old 350z

it was a breeze.....sat at 80mph all the way from glasgow, to the m6 down to bristol and then home

probably more like 450 miles to be fair...it is only a 120bhp lol...got a little bit of kick to it though

god knows what that trip would have cost in my old 350z

Why not get it remapped, will add 40bhp and loads more torque. Angel tuning are brilliant. Alternatively stick a crd tuning box on it for similar results, loads on ebay for not much money. Fuel economy won't suffer, in fact should improve.

Sent from my Liquid MT using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Right....I,ve had three mini's. Cooper,Cooper S,John cooper works.

Buy a "works" 210 bhp not for girls that one. The early ones have a supercharger,sounds ace going through the gears.

DONT buy anything french,italian or a vauxhall. They are all rubbish and depreciated quicker than falling off a cliff.

I have just ordered a Mini Cooper SD. Questioning my sexuality based on the above.

Mate this is an awesome engine. Take it from someone who knows. Better than the petrol in every sense. The way to beat the girly factor is to go for the sd coupe or roadstar. 2 seats but great to drive.

Edited by stev2001

Right....I,ve had three mini's. Cooper,Cooper S,John cooper works.

Buy a "works" 210 bhp not for girls that one. The early ones have a supercharger,sounds ace going through the gears.

DONT buy anything french,italian or a vauxhall. They are all rubbish and depreciated quicker than falling off a cliff.

Don't buy the jcw you'll have far too much fun you'll spend a fortune on fuel. Could help but keep my right foot nailed to the floor when I had one for a week.

• 2 weeks later...

delldays can you actually drive?

You seem to change your pretend car every month. What supercar do you have this month?

Get a mini, they look sh;t and you could pretend to park it in places you pretend to go.

Mate this is an awesome engine. Take it from someone who knows. Better than the petrol in every sense. The way to beat the girly factor is to go for the sd coupe or roadstar. 2 seats but great to drive.

The way to beat the girly factor is to not buy a Mini. Yes, the SD is less girly, but that's like saying Chlamydia is better than AIDS.