Attacking combo for Reading

ExSt Peter Saint

Enough has been done about the defence, but I fear there is no way we'll keep a clean sheet, so, with Euell banned, what's the best attacking combination for this match to try and actually score the goals to give us a chance?

I'd go for:

------------Robertson

------------McGoldrick

Skacel-------------------Lallana

with BWP and Gobern to come off the bench and Mills back in at left back. What does everyone else think?

I think playing 4-5-1 with McGoldrick up top works fine on the road, as we can play on the counter and it works a treat - hence results are a lot better away from home.

My issue is why don't we play 4-4-2 at home where we have to break teams down & you can't do that with a lone striker.

Enough has been done about the defence, but I fear there is no way we'll keep a clean sheet, so, with Euell banned, what's the best attacking combination for this match to try and actually score the goals to give us a chance?

I'd go for:

------------Robertson

------------McGoldrick

with BWP and Gobern to come off the bench and Mills back in at left back. What does everyone else think?

Good call.

I think playing 4-5-1 with McGoldrick up top works fine on the road, as we can play on the counter and it works a treat - hence results are a lot better away from home.

My issue is why don't we play 4-4-2 at home where we have to break teams down & you can't do that with a lone striker.

worked a threat against Swansea.

There is no way BWP should be playing left wing.

Pluss Lallana as good as he is, is he a right winger. He only ever seems to drift inwards where McGoldrick is, meaning we don't have enough width, which is a problem with the system that we play.

I'd go for:

------------Robertson

------------McGoldrick

In place of who? He's much better coming on as a sub, surely.

This guy's got the right idea

I think BWP deserves a start. Perhaps McGoldrick playing behind BWP and leave Robertson on the bench. Robertson has done nothing for me, except score a fluke wonder goal. But he isn't as bad as Pekhart!

why? he's shocking only good coming off the bench.. and why would you play him up front by himself hes no good in the air and Robertson at least works hard and puts himself about has good strength

-------------------Davis

----------------- Svennson

---------Cork Lancashire Perry Skacel

Lallana--------Schneiderlin Surman ----------BWP

--------------------McGoldrick

We are going to be playing on the break anyway.

-------------------Davis

----------------- Svennson

---------Cork Lancashire Perry Skacel

Lallana--------Schneiderlin Surman ----------BWP

--------------------McGoldrick

We are going to be playing on the break anyway.

IMO it would be better having Perry or Lancashire in that sweeper role if we're going to go down that route, as Svensson is known more for his crunching tackles than his ability to calmly play the ball out of defense.

How about playing a 442 for once? I'm fed-up with the clueless dutch clown fart-arseing around with the team and crappy formations which don't work. The players are good enough but the coach isn't.

Would love to see 4-4-2 but just don't think JP can change it now. Would expect that Robertson will be the 'centre forward' with Lallana in the hole and BWP and MCG either side. That's a pretty good front line. Gasmi could come in but he did not look match fit at all on Monday with the Reserves. Young Paterson is a good bet for the last 15 mins.

Heard we have loads and loads of injuries and our team on Saturday could be a real surprise!

Really looking forward to a day out at Reading - it's been a while!

COYR

How about playing a 442 for once? I'm fed-up with the clueless dutch clown fart-arseing around with the team and crappy formations which don't work. The players are good enough but the coach isn't.

Playing 4-4-2 for the first time against a side like Reading would be a disaster waiting to happen. We need to play our usual formation and hope we can stay tight at the back and hit them on the counter.

We simply haven't got good enough players to beat a team like Reading if we go for it from the first minute.

Personally depending on the squad i'd go with:

--------McGoldrick

Skacel -- Surman -- Lallana

-- Schneiderlin Wotton

Mills Svensson Perry Cork

-----------Davis

I don't really like Wotton but he would add some strength and experience. Mills playing LB to accomadate Skacel in a more advanced role, hopefully he will get into some of the positions Holmes was getting into earlier in the season and Schneierlin can pick him out with some early cross field balls.

..........Robertson

Surman.....McG........Lallana

.........Wotton...Schneiderlin

Skacel...Killer....Perry....Cork

...............Davis

No Lancashire, James, Gillett, Mills, Thomson, Gobern or BWP in the side on grounds that I want us to have a chance. This line up won't happen because it has 5 players over the age of 12.

Edited by Billy Shite

Svensson is a major doubt for tomorrows game,due to "illness"

TBH, I wouldn't have played him even if he was fit. He looked 5 yards off the pace for the reserves on Monday and that's really not what we need for a trip to Reading.

Perry and Lancashire/Cork would be my answer.

Are Gillett and Mills fit?

On O/S sounds like Smith, Gobern and Thomson could all miss out, so a bit of tinkering is needed.

Davis - GK

Cork - RB

Perry - CB

Lancashire - CB

Mills - LB

Schneiderlin - DM

Gillett - DM

Surman - AM

Lallana - RW

Skacel - LW

McGoldrick - FW

Subs: Forecast, James, Wotton, Robertson, Wright-Phillips.

Won't happen, mind.