Poppys on the shirts

Crab Lungs

Alps, don't you see though, that whilst its a fair opinion to find his actions distasteful, its still a freedom we all enjoy? We simply dont know whether this is some ego driven show of bravado in light of his politics, or whether a recognition that there are still some of the extreme feckwits over there and it could have led to reprisals against family/friends etc.

Also, the great thing about living in a country that has these freedoms, is that despite the fact that some abuse it through preaching shiedt, hatred and biggotry it gives us an opportiunity to demonstrate how ridiculous and ignorant their views are.

As skintsaint and others have said wearing the poppy is not about british servicemen , its about others that were killed in the wars including irish folk on both sides of the political divide.

While cameron and co may have apologised for the evens of bloody sunday > I hear no apology from the footballer re all the IRA atrocities they committed, And who can forget the Omagh rememberance bombing. Clearly he has.

And I wish Rio ferninand who shut the F**K up

Agains, you're failing to understand, i didn't say they should be mandatory. Poppies are worn to represent the dead of that country, if McClean feels he cannot betray his own morals and wear one, as his is choice, then surely he also shouldnt betray his own morals and earn his money in the same country, it's as simple as that is it not?

No. Answer my question first.

You have made this a matter of morals rather then the right for political free speech. The moral standpoint is something I agree with, as I have repeatedly stated, but I would not demand someone moved out of the country simply because a moral division occurs here. You obviously would, so where do you draw a line with something this subjective? Where does that idea stop?

It is obvious we will not agree on this.

Edited by Colinjb

As skintsaint and others have said wearing the poppy is not about british servicemen , its about others that were killed in the wars including irish folk on both sides of the political divide.

While cameron and co may have apologised for the evens of bloody sunday > I hear no apology from the footballer re all the IRA atrocities they committed, And who can forget the Omagh rememberance bombing. Clearly he has.

And I wish Rio ferninand who shut the F**K up

What is that clown Ferdinand saying now?

You have made this a matter of morals rather then the right for political free speech. The moral standpoint is something I agree with, as I have repeatedly stated, but I would not demand someone moved out of the country simply because a moral division occurs here. You obviously would, so where do you draw a line with something this subjective? Where does that idea stop?

I've just read through this thread and I can't find one person saying McClean shouldn't have the right to wear a shirt without a poppy - just that he's a c**t and a hypocrit for doing so.

I've just read through this thread and I can't find one person saying McClean shouldn't have the right to wear a shirt without a poppy - just that he's a c**t and a hypocrit for doing so.

Yep.

He's exercising his right to be the big Republican hero whilst talking Union money, we are exercising our right to call him a c**t and a hypocrite.

Well, Turkish feels he should move abroad if he feels that strongly about it. That is his right.

I will not call him a c*** but he is a hypocrite and needs to do some history lessons

As for bloody sunday a certain Mr McGuinness was there stirring it up, he had blood on his hands , I have never heard a formal apology from him or adams for all the atrocities they were involved in.

Some folk need to do their history on the events that led up to bloody sunday , there was massive provocation occuring between both sides. I know I was doing my second tour of duty in derry at the time

What question would that be colin? The one you told me the answer to? If its not a question of morals what is it a question of? No one is demanding he be removed from the country, again youre not understanding. It really is quite simple. Of his morals prevent him from wearing a logo embroidered onto a football shirt which represents respect for the dead of the country that employ him, then surely he wouldn't want to betray his morals by earning a living in that country. As I said earlier would you work in country where you were encouraged to sieg Heil every morning or would your morals prevent this?

Well, Turkish feels he should move abroad if he feels that strongly about it. That is his right.

I said that morally he should question taking a wage from the country where he morally objects to honouring their dead serviceman that fought to give him the right to earn that wage.

Yep.

He's exercising his right to be the big Republican hero whilst talking Union money, we are exercising our right to call him a c**t and a hypocrite.

Union money?! Come on now... you really think the money which funds the premiership is 'union money'. It's far more complex than that today.

And as for the whole, is he a **** for not wearing a poppy debate... of course he isn't. I wear a poppy every year on the 11th of November, but why the hell should that mean that someone else is a **** for not wearing one?! What happened to choice? Perhaps this article provides a nice summary - http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ruthdudleyedwards/100185697/lets-call-a-halt-to-poppy-fascism/

Jon Snow Interview - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-10/brits-protest-poppy-pressure/4365180

Edited by Saintandy666

What question would that be colin? The one you told me the answer to? If its not a question of morals what is it a question of? No one is demanding he be removed from the country, again youre not understanding. It really is quite simple. Of his morals prevent him from wearing a logo embroidered onto a football shirt which represents respect for the dead of the country that employ him, then surely he wouldn't want to betray his morals by earning a living in that country. As I said earlier would you work in country where you were encouraged to sieg Heil every morning or would your morals prevent this?

2077970_o.gif

It's quite funny how my opinion is clear yet you keep asking the same questions, i'm not wasting my time answering them again, particularly as you are preferring to be evasive rather then direct.

The common ground is that we all agree that Mclean's decision was questionable, that's enough for me.

Edited by Colinjb

According to the report about this incident I read, McClean apparently had to close his Twitter account for while for posting sectarian sh*t abusing people in Ulster.

Why cant some of you liberal hand-wringers look past your lofty principles and accept that McClean is a Grade-A front-bottom ??

Union money?! Come on now... you really think the money which funds the premiership is 'union money'. It's far more complex than that today.

And as for the whole, is he a **** for not wearing a poppy debate... of course he isn't. I wear a poppy every year on the 11th of November, but why the hell should that mean that someone else is a **** for not wearing one?! What happened to choice? Perhaps this article provides a nice summary - http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ruthdudleyedwards/100185697/lets-call-a-halt-to-poppy-fascism/

Jon Snow Interview - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-10/brits-protest-poppy-pressure/4365180

The vast majority of money he earns comes from British people. He is therefore a hypocrite for being happy to earn a very good living from those people, but not show respect to the war dead from that nation, a sign of respect that even a school kid would know is a sensitive issue for many in this country.

And it's not like he's just forgotten to stick a poppy on his jacket as he goes out for the evening, he's clearly specifically asked to wear a different shirt to all of his teammates, therefore making a very clear statement on his views on the poppy and what it represents. It shows a lack of respect to those thousands of Sunderland fans that pay his wages every week.

According to the report about this incident I read, McClean apparently had to close his Twitter account for while for posting sectarian sh*t abusing people in Ulster.

Why cant some of you liberal hand-wringers look past your lofty principles and accept that McClean is a Grade-A front-bottom ??

Us liberal hand-wringers keep to our principles! Yes, we personally wear poppies and support the good work that the RBL does... but why should that mean that everyone else has to conform? I believe in the right for everyone to have a different opinion and for everyone to be different, even where that opinion and outlook doesn't match my own.

Us liberal hand-wringers keep to our principles! Yes, we personally wear poppies and support the good work that the RBL does... but why should that mean that everyone else has to conform? I believe in the right for everyone to have a different opinion and for everyone to be different, even where that opinion and outlook doesn't match my own.

I note you've ignored the key point of my post.

The vast majority of money he earns comes from British people. He is therefore a hypocrite for being happy to earn a very good living from those people, but not show respect to the war dead from that nation, a sign of respect that even a school kid would know is a sensitive issue for many in this country.

And it's not like he's just forgotten to stick a poppy on his jacket as he goes out for the evening, he's clearly specifically asked to wear a different shirt to all of his teammates, therefore making a very clear statement on his views on the poppy and what it represents. It shows a lack of respect to those thousands of Sunderland fans that pay his wages every week.

Not at all. He is paid to play football, not to reflect the views of fans.

I note you've ignored the key point of my post.

I don't necessarily think anyone is a 'grade-A front bottom' just because they disagree with me... if that is what you are getting at? People have different opinions, and where possible we should discuss that civilly and coherently where necessary without resorting to anger and abuse.

Where have I said he is paid to reflect the views of fans? I think you're getting confused between the words "respect" and "reflect".

What about fans respecting his views? Choosing not to wear a poppy on his shirt is hardly an aggressive move. It is a very passive action, and does not affect any of supporter's right to wear a poppy if they so wish.

What about fans respecting his views? Choosing not to wear a poppy on his shirt is hardly an aggressive move. It is a very passive action, and does not affect any of supporter's right to wear a poppy if they so wish.
Who said it stops supporters wearing a poppy? He gets paid a massive amount by the people of Sunderland to play football for them. It's not a huge ask for him to show an appropriate level of respect to a cause that will mean a huge deal to those people.

Do you know, it never occurred to me that his family back in Ireland could suffer from a backlash if he wore a poppy on his shirt.
Like what exactly? Plenty of Irish players from both the north and south have been able to wear poppy shirts without having their houses blown up!

Like what exactly? Plenty of Irish players from both the north and south have been able to wear poppy shirts without having their houses blown up!

I don't know - it was something someone else mentioned

Look - I don't condone or criticise his actions and I've already said that. So don't assume I'm supporting him. I'm just trying to understand both points of view and stating that a potential backlash hadn't occurred to me. That's all.

Edited by bridge too far

Depends who the family is involved with. The lad obviously holds more extreme views to many (based on the deletion of his twitter account), perhaps they have history?

Who said it stops supporters wearing a poppy? He gets paid a massive amount by the people of Sunderland to play football for them. It's not a huge ask for him to show an appropriate level of respect to a cause that will mean a huge deal to those people.

Why does it matter if he gets paid a huge amount of money? That isn't in the spirit of remembrance day whatsoever. He should wear a poppy because he wants to, not because he has to.

Why does it matter if he gets paid a huge amount of money? That isn't in the spirit of remembrance day whatsoever. He should wear a poppy because he wants to, not because he has to.
I think you're missing the point - its relevant that he earns a lot of money because of where that money comes from - the supporters of Sunderland He should have the decency to respect something important to the vast majority of them.

And that's the point, he should want to wear one. No-one is saying he should be forced to.

I think you're missing the point - its relevant that he earns a lot of money because of where that money comes from - the supporters of Sunderland He should have the decency to respect something important to the vast majority of them.

And that's the point, he should want to wear one. No-one is saying he should be forced to.

If you were working in Derry and invited to an IRA remembrance day, honouring those who died trying to free Ireland would you go along?

What, not even if everyone you worked with thought it was really important?

Come on, put on your balaclava and grab a gun.

If you were working in Derry and invited to an IRA remembrance day, honouring those who died trying to free Ireland would you go along?

If I felt that strongly I would'nt work there and take their money

I wouldn't ever work for an organisation that had an IRA rememberance day, therfore wouldn't be an issue.

Balaclava and a gun sound a laugh though, an upgrade on the team building paintballing day out.

If I felt that strongly I would'nt work there and take their money

What if they worked exporting a product to both Ireland and the UK and also around the world? Would that makke a difference?

My point is not whether he is right or wrong but that he should be given the freedom to choose without a bunch of meat heads calling him a cVnt. After all, the fight against fascism, and those who gave their lives fighting that cause is what the poppy represents to many.

"(Her old man)

He don't like blacks or queers

Yet he's proud he beat the Nazis? How queer"

I would, even though I despise the Republican movement and its actions with all my being. I wouldnt want to alienate myself from my community. When in Rome, and all that...

On the other hand, I wouldnt be stupid enough to find myself working in Londonderry anyway.

My family and I have taken place in the October 10th celebrations here. I dont really understand the significance of it, but we thought it was important to integrate.

aintforever

wrote

Maybe he is related to or is friends with someone who had a family member gunned down by the British army?

Of course the IRA do murder innocent people or soldiers.

So are you saying the prison officer who was shot by one of the many IRA factions was not gunned downed but accidently shot as they were shooting rabbits etc.

Im somewhat offended by your comments thats what British Soldiers did out here in Ireland?

I i

Phew. Firstly, for a football player to have any kind of moral stand point is an achievement (cf Ferdinands/McClean). Rather that than the Chuckle Brothers.

My own view is that I'm angry with McClean coz the poppy is remembering soldiers who go and get killed in wars. They're not really asked or required to believe in what they do, and they certainly didn't get a choice in WW/I/II and previous wars. Soldiers have it hard, and it's the politicians are the wenakers. Poppies are for the soldiers, not the pollies,

What if they worked exporting a product to both Ireland and the UK and also around the world? Would that makke a difference?

My point is not whether he is right or wrong but that he should be given the freedom to choose without a bunch of meat heads calling him a cVnt. After all, the fight against fascism, and those who gave their lives fighting that cause is what the poppy represents to many.

"(Her old man)

He don't like blacks or queers

Yet he's proud he beat the Nazis? How queer"

The idea of freedom is that you can choose one path and if people think you are hypocritical then they can tell you