Surman and Schneiderlin

Arizona

Neither of them can tackle. Is this a problem?

Against Reading it never really held us back, but tonight I would have said it did. On the other hand, I don't really want Wotton on the team.

In my post Reading analysis I was also saying we need a tougher presence in the middle of the park, someone who can stick their foot in, but who can also play a bit as well.

When these games get tough, we just need a bit of a bruiser in the tackle.

Don't agree, they are not Terry Hurlock or Robbie Savage but both can tackle, but they did'nt need to tonight, it was probably the cleanest game of the season.

And yet Plymouth still had several chances. I can't help but feeling that if we'd had a bit more bite in midfield we could have made it more comfortable at the back and had a few more decent attacks.

Against Reading it never really held us back, but tonight I would have said it did. On the other hand, I don't really want Wotton on the team.

Disagree both tackled well at times. If you think that surely it would have had an effect at Reading?

What was weird was the way we seemed to have only Robertson up front in the first half, then seemed to always have 4 up front with only 2 in midfield after HT. Often with little movement which lead to us passing backwards often, or giving it away and being totally outnumbered on the break.

I have to disagree I thought Spiderman and Drew were awesome our best midfield partnership by a million miles I thought Spiderman was MOM last night and Drew has been our best player year to date both got there foot in and are good on the ball hope we can keep them both but somehow think they will be sold

This kind of thread makes me nervous. For reasons unfathomed, higher-ups at the club seem to read this forum (and appear overly sensitive to certain things said on here).

When they're making noises about 'asset sales', and at a time when Surman, Schneiderlin and Lallana are starting to emerge as a golden midfield, I fear it gives them some unnecessary ammunition for selling one or all of them - and very soon.

We have to keep hold of these players in January - somehow, anyhow.

Cork and Schneiderlin should be playing as the defensive midfield pairing, enabling Surman to play in a more advanced position. This would give the back four extra protection and also give us more fire power further up the pitch. Unforetunately, Cork keeps being slotted in to cover deficiencies at right or centreback.

Cork and Schneiderlin should be playing as the defensive midfield pairing, enabling Surman to play in a more advanced position. This would give the back four extra protection and also give us more fire power further up the pitch. Unforetunately, Cork keeps being slotted in to cover deficiencies at right or centreback.

This raises another question. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that we play James, Pearce, Perry and Skacel at the back (leave aside questions about whether or not James is up to it, though I thought he did OK last night). If we then have Cork and Shneiderlin in the holding midfield positions - which I think is a very good pairing - who goes where ahead of them, and who gets dropped from last night's team?

I'd be inclined to put Lallana in behind (or alongside) Robertson, with BWP and Surman in the wide positions, interchanging as appropriate. Robertson didn't impress me last night, but I think we need a player who can battle with the heavy-duty centre backs you always seem to get in this division, and he's our only option for that. Lallana then needs to be encouraged to shoot a whole lot more.

how about trying (infront of defence above)

Schneiderlin Cork

Lallana BWP

Surman

Patterson

Quite solid defensive pair who can both accelerate out of the back.

Decent tricky wide players.

Surman in free role.

centre forward is harder, but Patterson seems to get good reviews and certainly worked hard physically when he came on, whether he is up to a start who knows.

I'm probably in a minority but I think Surman is over-rated by many on here. He has no right foot (could have scored last night but he opted to move the ball to his left foot and the shot was charged down) and his tackling is poor - he often seems to pull out of a tackle when the likes of Schneiderlin goes in hard.

Anyway, what do I know - I was told to shut up by a fellow fan for moaning about Surman last night. This was just before 3 people behind me called Surman a t**t......

I'm probably in a minority but I think Surman is over-rated by many on here. He has no right foot (could have scored last night but he opted to move the ball to his left foot and the shot was charged down) and his tackling is poor - he often seems to pull out of a tackle when the likes of Schneiderlin goes in hard.

Anyway, what do I know - I was told to shut up by a fellow fan for moaning about Surman last night. This was just before 3 people behind me called Surman a t**t......

The thing is Surman is not a defensive player. Last season he was poor by his standards because he was being played mostly at left back. This season he has been one of our better players but his instincts are as an attacking midfield player, where he's at his best. He has a good shot and times his runs into the box very well. In the holding role he is stifled and that does not get the best out of him.

This raises another question. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that we play James, Pearce, Perry and Skacel at the back (leave aside questions about whether or not James is up to it, though I thought he did OK last night). If we then have Cork and Shneiderlin in the holding midfield positions - which I think is a very good pairing - who goes where ahead of them, and who gets dropped from last night's team?

I'd be inclined to put Lallana in behind (or alongside) Robertson, with BWP and Surman in the wide positions, interchanging as appropriate. Robertson didn't impress me last night, but I think we need a player who can battle with the heavy-duty centre backs you always seem to get in this division, and he's our only option for that. Lallana then needs to be encouraged to shoot a whole lot more.

I think Surman is suspended for Saturday

So I would go with the same team Pearce in For Surman

how about trying (infront of defence above)

Schneiderlin Cork

Lallana BWP

Surman

Patterson

Quite solid defensive pair who can both accelerate out of the back.

Decent tricky wide players.

Surman in free role.

centre forward is harder, but Patterson seems to get good reviews and certainly worked hard physically when he came on, whether he is up to a start who knows.

We are missing Holmes and somebody like Dyer who can cross the ball

I do not agree with you at all, it is a ridiculous suggestion unworthy of sensible debate.

Both players made incisive tackles at critical points last night and for long periods bossed midfield. If you have a downer on these guys don't exercise your frustration by creating spurious and inaccurately supposited threads

True - I was thinking more in general terms, rather than specifically for Saturday's game though. Pearce in for Surman, Cork to midfield does sound good for the Charlton game.

True - I was thinking more in general terms, rather than specifically for Saturday's game though. Pearce in for Surman, Cork to midfield does sound good for the Charlton game.

OK I understand your point but JP never seems to have a complete squad to choose from.

So he has to mix and match

I do not agree with you at all, it is a ridiculous suggestion unworthy of sensible debate.

Both players made incisive tackles at critical points last night and for long periods bossed midfield. If you have a downer on these guys don't exercise your frustration by creating spurious and inaccurately supposited threads

Supposited thread???

Are you telling him where to put his thread, by any chance??

According to the BBC website Drew has 4 yellow cards to his name so I think he's safe until he picks up another one. I would play the same team v Charlton and only switch things around for home games as this lot have proved they are very effective away from home.

would use Holmes ahead of BWP on left, although he surpised me for first 45 yesterday as thought he was excellent with great energy and movement.

BWP with the ball played infront of him was excellent yesterday but in the second half he appeared to be in a more advanced starting position and had to comeback to retrieve the ball, at which point he is average at best.

I think there is a point in home games where our style either gets found out or we run out of gas. The defensive midfield two stop coming back for the ball and the slick passing stops.

According to the BBC website Drew has 4 yellow cards to his name so I think he's safe until he picks up another one. I would play the same team v Charlton and only switch things around for home games as this lot have proved they are very effective away from home.

Thats good then I thought I saw somewher he five yellows.

I think Surman has been at his best this year playing centre mid.

Whilst I like Schneiderlin and it's of course very easy to get exciting when he pings 40yard balls out to the wing with pin point accuracy, his control and first touch let's him down time and time again and regularly is the cause of our attacks breaking down. I couldnt make my mind up last night whether this was due to him simply having a poor first touch or whether it was due to him coming on the ball with too much pace to control it.

I think Schneiderlin and Surman both put in plenty of tackles and interceptions. However, they do this without being 'dirty' and therefore I beleive some of their good work does not get noticed as much as it perhaps should. They were slightly off form last night but I put that down to them looking nackered - Surman in particular - you could see on his face that the effort from Saturday was taking its toll and I dont understand why Jan didnt sub him with about 15/20 mins to go in order to give us a bit more energy and bite in midfield.

I think they are a good combination for the positions they are playing - certainly better than Wotton and Gillett who have also played there this season. IMO they both tackle, although Spiderman oftern seems clumsy and gives away fouls. The biggest 'complaint' that I have with them is their propensity to pass sideways rather than forward. I think Spiderman is the bigger culprit. Last night there seemed to be several occasions where he could have driven forward but instead played a square or backward ball which slowed down the overall attack.

I'd like to see them both get an extended run in these positions as I think they are getting better and the positions are the most important in the team in terms of freeing up how the attacking 4 can play, and covering for the full backs when they go forward.

there are others like you but I am certainly not one of them.

Apart from the fact he is still only 22, is finding his feet in the middle and playing in a very average side, Surman has played pretty well in most games this season and has been excellent in the last three or four IMO.

How many current Saints players nutmeg an opponent, outmuscle him to the ball, beat the next man all hands up and create havoc in the opponents midfield? That was tremendous play in front of the Northam and just a snippet of what he does wee in week out.

other than fancy footwork Surman ran all night long. He worked his socks off and constantly made surging runs forward though not always found. He saw more of the ball than anyone else, never shying away from his responsibilities. Yes some passes go astray but he's always looking to create soemthing and thread that kilelr ball.

Enjoy that as when he is sold we will haev the like sof Wotton hoofing it anywhere and the likes of you moaning how **** we are.

By the way I have never seen him pull out of a tackle.

If I was you I'd take that guys advice.

Apart from the fact he is still only 22, is finding his feet in the middle and playing in a very average side, Surman has played pretty well in most games this season and has been excellent in the last three or four IMO.

How many current Saints players nutmeg an opponent, outmuscle him to the ball, beat the next man all hands up and create havoc in the opponents midfield? That was tremendous play in front of the Northam and just a snippet of what he does wee in week out.

other than fancy footwork Surman ran all night long. He worked his socks off and constantly made surging runs forward though not always found. He saw more of the ball than anyone else, never shying away from his responsibilities. Yes some passes go astray but he's always looking to create soemthing and thread that kilelr ball.

Enjoy that as when he is sold we will haev the like sof Wotton hoofing it anywhere and the likes of you moaning how **** we are.

We will miss Surman a LOT if he goes.

As i have said before, if we were looking to sign a Saints supporting player of his quality at his current value we would be unable to contain our excitement.

He will make a very good (and good value) squad addition for some mid table PL team.

Surman/Spiderman/ lallana + 1. THAT is a PL midfield in the making.

Spot on.

Can't argue with that, IMO.