Steven Gerrard

saintedwill

Well it partly depends on your definition of "world class". I've generally considered it to be one of the top five or so players in your position.

I'd say Ashley Cole has been that consistently over the last decade.

He's certainly been closest to it which goes to show why Shaw is in such demand ;)

I don't think that any English player of the last 10 years could truly be described as world class - even at their best. They consistently demonstrated that at all international competitions. Who would truly have made a world 11 - including bench? I am afraid that in England there is a tendency to outrageously overrate the better English players. Roooney's good - but world class - I don't think so.

Paul Scholes and Ashley Cole are/were.

Paul Scholes. Now there's a man England should have spent 10 years building a team around.

Personally I think Gerrard has been overhyped. Yes he's a very good player but the 20 yard screamers and 60 yard Hollywood passes have gone a long way to masking his deficiencies.

Paul Scholes. Now there's a man England should have spent 10 years building a team around.

Personally I think Gerrard has been overhyped. Yes he's a very good player but the 20 yard screamers and 60 yard Hollywood passes have gone a long way to masking his deficiencies.

Absolutely spot on.

Agree with Cole being world class too.

I've never liked Gerrard, FWIW. I think people already know that, though :lol:

Plenty of people blinded by a few screamers over 10 years and some rangy passing (which didn't always come off).

As a team player, he's abysmal if you ask him to do a job. He just goes off and does his own thing. His supporters would say that it's "hard" to keep your positional sense when you're played out of position. I'd have disagree.

But meh, I don't think he's all that great at all, especially not any more. Average central midfielder at best these days.

Steven Gerrard, was a superb player, and I enjoyed reading his book. One of the best midfielders not just in England, but in the world. Used to love watching him play, and change games. So much energy, and some blinding goals.

He is not superb anymore, but still a top class player, and I am sure most football, Liverpool fans and even Gerrard himself would admit, that he has not had anywhere near his standard of a season this season.

Lets face it, he is not a youngster in the football world, but still class.

He was brilliant in his prime. His legs have gone a bit now and the injuries he had obviously ain't helped hence he has adapted the way he plays. He plays deeper now and uses his great passing to influence the game, hence he doesn't greb the headlines for winning games like he used to. I would rather have Lampard in my team than Gerrard.

Come off it. Everyone still knows he's a scouser.

I agree that he hasn't really done it for England but then apart from Cole, Terry and Rio, none of them have been very consistent, and in alot of games darn righ average.

But surely that is where "world class"ness is determined. He's a good player - a very good player. It's the "world class" bit I am contesting. Some have said he was in the the top three midfielders in the world at his best. I know that these things are a matter of opinion - but really?

But surely that is where "world class"ness is determined. He's a good player - a very good player. It's the "world class" bit I am contesting. Some have said he was in the the top three midfielders in the world at his best. I know that these things are a matter of opinion - but really?

To be fair though Messi isn't great for Argentina, certainly nowhere near as good as he is for Barca. Same goes for Ronaldo.

Gerrard was an excellent player, should have moved on at his peak. Same as MLT really. Top players need new challenges from time to time to avoid stagnation no matter how much the fans love them.

Still think a couple of ours will need to move on within a couple of years to exploit their full potential.