Football Manager 2014

Matthew Le God

MLG - What's all this b*llocks about it being a club philosophy to sign players from Italy?

Under Cortese Southampton have made the signed the following players whose previous club was in Italy...

Papa Waigo

Guly Do Prado

Gaston Ramirez

Artur Boruc

Dani Osvaldo

...and Saints have been linked in the media with lots of other Italian based players (Astori, Nainggolan, Sørensen, Mariga etc), which shows Saints are using that market more so than any other outside the UK.

So is it really "********"? Whilst Cortese is chairman it isn't unreasonable to think Saints will continue to scout Serie A for players. It is a market Cortese knows and appears to like dealing with. It isn't a long term set in stone forever philosophy for the club in FM14, just one whilst Cortese is running the club.

If you don't want it as a philosophy you can ask Cortese nicely for it to be removed.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Under Cortese Southampton have made the signings of...

Papa Waigo

Guly Do Prado

Gaston Ramirez

Artur Boruc

Dani Osvaldo

...and linked in the media with lots of other Italian based players (Astori, Nainggolan, Sørensen, Mariga etc), which shows Saints are using that market more so than any other outside the UK.

If you don't want it as a philosophy you can ask Cortese nicely for it to be removed.

The club philosophy, as stated back in the day, was to complement players coming up through the youth system with top quality signings.

We bought Wanyama from Celtic. We almost bought Buttner from Vitesse. Rodriguez came from Burnley.

Boruc was a free agent when we signed him, and none of the other players you mention were even born in Italy.

Now we all know that the Chairman has contacts in Italy and that financial conditions in certain clubs have favoured prospective buyers. That does not mean the club has a philosophy of buying from Italy. It just means it's a handy market.

You pore over every Saints story that's out there, or close enough to at least know the answer to my next question, given its inclusion in the game. Find me one statement from Southampton FC which amounts to "our philosophy is to buy players from the Italian league". The club has been unequivocal in its expression of philosophy. Develop youth. Aim to have at least half the first team as academy graduates. Play an attractive style of football that is known as the Southampton style.

When has the club ever said "our philosophy is to buy players from the Italian leagues"?

What happens in my FM game if Cortese is replaced with someone from a crap footballing nation?

none of the other players you mention were even born in Italy.

It isn't asking you to buy Italian nationals, its players of any nationality from the Italian leagues.

What happens in my FM game if Cortese is replaced with someone from a crap footballing nation?

Whilst Cortese is chairman it isn't unreasonable to think Saints will continue to scout Serie A for players. It is a market Cortese knows and appears to like dealing with. It isn't a long term set in stone forever philosophy for the club in FM14, just one whilst Cortese is running the club. When he leaves, that philosophy will go.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Victor Wanyama

Dejan Lovren

Vegard Forren

Maya Yoshida

Emmanuel Mayuka

Paulo Gazzaniga

Nathaniel Clyne

Steven Davis

Jay Rodriguez

Billy Sharp

Tadanari Lee

Jos Hooiveld

Danny Fox

Jack Cork

Steve De Ridder

Ryan Dickson

Frazer Richardson

Danny Butterfield

Harlee Dean

Richard Chaplow

Jonathon Forte

Jack Stephens

Rickie Lambert

Dean Hammond

Radhi Jaidi

Graeme Murty

Dan Harding

David Connolly

Michail Antonio

Lee Barnard

Jose Fonte

Danny Seaborne

Jon Otsemobor

Jason Puncheon

And the market most used after England in a list of all Cortese's signings is...? Italy! Which just so happens to be his home country. What Saints have been doing fits the criteria for this in the FM research process and the head of English research was happy that it did. If it bothers you that much, then ask Cortese in game to remove it, or do so in the editor. I believe however it reflects real life events at Saints and Cortese influence over transfers. Something many on the main forum have spoken about in the last 4 years.

Edited by Matthew Le God

So why isn't the Southampton philosophy to recruit good young players from the English Leagues :p

Regardless, I don't actually care. Only played the game for a few hours and I will be taking Eastleigh to Champions League glory before Southampton.

Initial impressions of the game are that it feeeels very similar to 2013, but their are definitely some load time and interface improvements

Edited by SaintsAhoy

It isn't asking you to buy Italian nationals, its players of any nationality from the Italian leagues.

Whilst Cortese is chairman it isn't unreasonable to think Saints will continue to scout Serie A for players. It is a market Cortese knows and appears to like dealing with. It isn't a long term set in stone forever philosophy for the club in FM14, just one whilst Cortese is running the club. When he leaves, that philosophy will go.

In my last post, I challenged you to provide any news story from the club which indicated that club philosophy is to buy from the Italian leagues.

I have not had that challenge answered, so I'm left to assume that you have none, although happy to change my mind if you dish up the goods.

Is it fair to say that you've made this up based on your analysis?

In my last post, I challenged you to provide any news story from the club which indicated that club philosophy is to buy from the Italian leagues.

I have not had that challenge answered, so I'm left to assume that you have none, although happy to change my mind if you dish up the goods.

Is it fair to say that you've made this up based on your analysis?

It is not in the database as a club philosophy, it is in Cortese's file. As I said, when he goes, the philosophy goes.

Edited by Matthew Le God

It's BS MLG. What would be much more realistic is if NC just signed the odd player from Italy without asking you or if you have a very high standing with him, recommend a player from an Italian league.

NC wasn't telling Pardew or Adkins to buy a player from Italy, any player you like but he must be from an Italian league was he?

It is not in the database as a club philosophy, it is in Cortese's file. As I said, when he goes, the philosophy goes.

Sorry, MLG - as a coder - I get what you're saying. Cortese has the attribute, and the club inherits that from him. Yadda, yadda.

As presented to the player though, there's no distinction - it's a club philosophy.

Even with the extra information you've provided here, I still think it's wrong. I can understand Cortese being comfortable with buying from Italy, but as my earlier post says, I can't imagine him boll*cking MP because he signed Wanyama. I bet you can't even drum up an article where Cortese says that his personal philosophy is to buy from the Italian leagues. So why is it in the game?

I think you've confused concepts of "buyer's market opportunism" and "personal preference" with "club philosophy" here, and while I appreciate that it's on Cortese's file, the game presents it as a club philosophy.

Damn, find me any Saints fan who thinks buying from the Italian leagues is a "club philosophy".

Roll on the Data Editor, I say :(

MLG why dont you ever admit you are wrong ? Why dont you start a thread on the main board without any direction asking what are saints philosophies ? I bet none would say 'we buy players from italy'

If anything its promotion from the youth team or even to sign atleast 1 marquee type signing.

But certainly not, sign from italy, I think it just so happens that the itslian market is cheaper.

As per usual when I aquire this game Ill have to change things in the editor regarding saints

MLG why dont you ever admit you are wrong ?

I've made numerous changes to the data over the years based on other Saints' fans thoughts in the past. Doesn't mean I have to admit I'm wrong as soon as someone raises an objection. I'm just explaining the thought process behind it, I didn't just include it for a laugh. I don't think the game explains these philosophies particularly well to the user at the moment and what exactly they require them to do.

I've made numerous changes to the data over the years based on other Saints' fans thoughts in the past. Doesn't mean I have to admit I'm wrong as soon as someone raises an objection. I'm just explaining the thought process behind it, I didn't just include it for a laugh. I don't think the game explains these philosophies particularly well to the user at the moment and what exactly they require them to do.

So far, everyone else commenting on this is objecting, dude.

We're the ones that have to live with these bright ideas.

I echo Smirking's suggestion. Stick a main board post up asking whether buying players from the Italian leagues is a club philosophy.

So for every player we sign from the Italian leagues we sign at least six from not-the-Italian-leagues.

And from that MLG has decided we have a policy. Brilliant.

I especially like his use of newspaper transfer rumours to back up his argument. Not usually a fan of "baseless speculation" our MLG, unless of course he's up against the wall.

Great stuff, and (here goes nothing) well played Pap. All pretty LOLorific.

MLG. why have you never asked for opinions on saints regarding updates whilst on the largest saints online forum?

Not sure why you think I haven't, I start a FM thread every year on this forum. I read this thread and people are free to put forward their opinion on the data. I listen and if I agree then I'll make changes, as I have on numerous occasions over the years.

Edited by Matthew Le God

As far as data problems go, if that is the biggest gripe with the Saints data, things can't be too bad.

I've abandoned one of my save games because of this, although may yet go back to it.

I loaded the Italian leagues, and most of the decent players you can grab on a 6M transfer budget ( that's if you guarantee Cortese a EURO Cup finish, btw ) have no intention of joining Southampton.

When do you think this will be fixed? Next patch, or when the Jonas Brothers reunite and play St Marys? :)

I've abandoned one of my save games because of this, although may yet go back to it.

Why? You aren't going to get the sack over just this. You'd have to **** up big time elsewhere on the confidence screen with things that have more weighting to get you sacked. Then once you've been at the club a while you can ask Cortese to remove this.

I loaded the Italian leagues, and most of the decent players you can grab on a 6M transfer budget ( that's if you guarantee Cortese a EURO Cup finish, btw ) have no intention of joining Southampton.

You should only be looking at some of the best players from Serie A, so no need to load the Italian leagues. I signed Davide Astori in the first transfer window. Monthly instalments and selling some fringe players allows you to sign players in the first window for over £10m even with mid-table as an aim.

My defence is now Shaw, Astori, Lovren, Clyne

That'll keep Cortese happy until the summer of 2014. :p

Edited by Matthew Le God

You are not wrong smirker, just asked a patronising question to make you realise you are less right than the messiah.

Fair play to MLG though, to his credit he has come on here to bat away all our questions and we are all treated with equal distain. I maintain I little bit love MLG.

You are not wrong smirker, just asked a patronising question to make you realise you are less right than the messiah.

Fair play to MLG though, to his credit he has come on here to bat away all our questions and we are all treated with equal distain. I maintain I little bit love MLG.

Why? You aren't going to get the sack over just this. You'd have to **** up big time elsewhere on the confidence screen with things that have more weighting to get you sacked. Then once you've been at the club a while you can ask Cortese to remove this.

You should only be looking at some of the best players from Serie A, so no need to load the Italian leagues. I signed Davide Astori in the first transfer window. Monthly instalments and selling some fringe players allows you to sign players in the first window for over £10m even with mid-table as an aim.

My defence is now Shaw, Astori, Lovren, Clyne

That'll keep Cortese happy until the summer of 2014. :p

Why? Because it's something I'm being assessed on.

I appreciate your insights into how to circumvent the wrath of Cortese. The whole point is that it's unnecessary. Fortunately, with the official release of the game, the Data Editor is now there.

I'm going to look at Fulham's set-up and see if their club researcher has said "the club philosophy is to buy a load of old duffers".

How does this daft sounding club policy thing effect play? Does the virtual board insist you have a player from Italy? On the face of it, it sounds like a really odd thing to have. As we have signed Davis and Wanyama in consecutive seasons should we have a policy of signing players from Glasgow!?

I have been happy with FM12 for the last two years and have thought of buying FM14, but if there are these daft policies about I may just stick with what I have.

P.S. Any posibility of having a 3D match engine in the mobile versions of the game? I am on the verge of going for a tablet over a PC for my IT needs but would rather not sacrifice my favourite game.

Edited by Colinjb

So here are Cortese's tendencies.

MLG - I thought you said that we just have to sign people from the Italian Leagues.

The Tendencies tab in the data editor seems quite explicit - "Expects signings to match Chairman nationality".

cortese.png

Interestingly, this is much more important than Signing Young Players for the first team :mcinnes:

Given the anal level of "proof" demanded when posters have suggested changing player attributes/ability levels in the past, the evidence for the Club policy is extremely flimsy.

It's a load of utter ********, the Editor text shows that it actually means the players should be Italian. Saints obviously famed for the number of Italians that have played for us since Cortese became chairman.

It's a load of utter ********, the Editor text shows that it actually means the players should be Italian. Saints obviously famed for the number of Italians that have played for us since Cortese became chairman.

We haven't signed anyone born there. Ok, Osvaldo is playing for the national side, but he was born Argentinian.

In no way is this club policy, or even a demonstrable quality of Cortese.

If I have the beta installed but haven't yet received my boxed dvd copy, am I going to still be able to play when I get home or will the beta copies have been deactivated?

They are deactivated on Monday.

Is the current beta identical to the (presumably patched) current version of the game?

The game is now on version 14.1.2

Itll be available on other sites aswell

Hmm steam doing well so far, no cracks yet

Oh first cracks appearing, crashing already although I reckon its because my pc is no longer up to it TBH

Would you admit on this forum of theft from a high street store? Why is software theft tolerated by the mods?

MLG why dont you ever admit you are wrong ?

As per usual when I aquire this game Ill have to change things in the editor regarding saints

As you are a thief I don't particularly care what you think about the content of the game you are stealing.

Edited by Matthew Le God