Penalties against WBA

warsash saint

This falls on the other side of the line in the debate over technology for me.

Whether a ball is over the line or not is a simple matter of physics, a person's opinion doesn't come into it, I've got no issue with that being subject to technology and replays.

Some fouls can be obvious, but there are always those that are borderline that will be down to the ref's interpretation of the rules, and whether you agree with the decision or not, I don't believe it should be changed by anyone else. Maybe if there was some way to allow the referee himself to quickly review his own decision… possibly I'd go along with that.

They are trying to apply pressure in the hope that refs give them the benefit of the doubt in forthcoming matches. It's a vain hope. Peace isn't Ferguson. The Hawthorns isn't OT. The whinging doesn't reflect well on the club. They come across as losers. I had a close view of the decision at the Hawthorns. It was a penalty.

Whether a ball is over the line or not is a simple matter of physics, a person's opinion doesn't come into it, I've got no issue with that being subject to technology and replays.

Some fouls can be obvious, but there are always those that are borderline that will be down to the ref's interpretation of the rules, and whether you agree with the decision or not, I don't believe it should be changed by anyone else. Maybe if there was some way to allow the referee himself to quickly review his own decision… possibly I'd go along with that.

Totally agree. Video replays/technology can only be used for objective decision making - ball over the line and offisides (in theory). Subjective decisions would only become MORE controversial with extra in-game analysis.

Fully agree also. You often see fouls that look blatant from one angle, and not from another. It also happens often enough that not even the pundits can agree on whether it is a foul or not. It is a subjective thing not a fact.

Would I would change with the current system would be retrospective bookings / red cards that could be added following a review after the game (by a panel including the referee for that match). Also a referee should be encouraged to rescind cards given, if the video review shows it turns out to be clearly wrong.

Totally against refs watching replays but ALL FOR retrospective banning of players for diving. Only way to stamp this out.

The reverse problem with diving is when players are very obviously fouled/tripped but stumble and regain their footing or even in the case of Seamus Coleman against Tottenham a few weeks back (I don't know if anyone else remembers this?) actually fall over but manage to get back up and into their stride in one fairly quick/fluid movement thanks to their momentum/centre of gravity, but were nevertheless obviously, obviously, obviously tripped and fouled.

Anyway, the above example was one of the worst incidences of refereeing cowardice I've seen in recent times. Coleman and Everton were literally punished for their honesty and as such, if I were Pochettino I'd note down who that referee was (Kevin Friend) and when he refs a Saints game, simply tell my players to go to ground whenever possible as he's a ref who doesn't have the courage or presence of mind to give a penalty unless you do.

Its like in cricket where its technically not a wicket if every player on the fielding team were to stand there in silence. Falling to ground is now part of the appeal for a penalty.

The day the refs start giving penalties for shirt tugs and trips that don't necessitate a player hitting the deck, will be the day that there is a moral highground for condemning diving. Until then its just a part of the game like tactical fouls.

Perhaps Saints need to write to the Premier League about the blatant penalties not given to us at Norwich & Stoke.

The penalty at WBA was clear as day, the contact may have been minimal but Mulumbu was clumsy and tripped Shaw when he needn't have. When the incident was reviewed by pundits on MOTD & GOS they were all in agreement that it was a penalty.

The bloke that cost WBA 2 points wasn't the ref, but their chump who did a Peter Crouch instead of running it into the corner. 4 mins into injury time and with a break on, he went for glory and had a shot. Had he gone into the corner ,fannyed about a bit, the ball wouldn't have been in the WBA box fir Mariner to bottle the decision and award a pen

The bloke that cost WBA 2 points wasn't the ref, but their chump who did a Peter Crouch instead of running it into the corner. 4 mins into injury time and with a break on, he went for glory and had a shot. Had he gone into the corner ,fannyed about a bit, the ball wouldn't have been in the WBA box fir Mariner to bottle the decision and award a pen

At 0-0, at home, on the first day of the season?

Yeah, I'm sure their fans would've loved him for that.

You can be sure that if we had had 4 debatable penalties given against us in 11 games you lot would be demanding answers from the FA too.

What is the need for that comment? Such a gimpy thing to say. Adds nothing. Clearly what people are saying here is that they are not debatable decisions.

What is the need for that comment? Such a gimpy thing to say. Adds nothing. Clearly what people are saying here is that they are not debatable decisions.

You're telling me that penalty against Chelsea wasn't a debatable decison?!!!

Yes they would be, if we'd had 4 pens go against us in 11 games and 3 of them were 50/50 and one was blantently not a penalty then the referees and everyone else would be being lamblasted by people on here. YOu can be sure Pochetino wouldn't be labelled the new Ian Holloway or a whinger looking for excuses because his team are underachieving!