Surman's "come and get me" cry?

Big_Bald_Si

Wotton would be a fine replacement

And they say satire is dead .

Surman is one of those players who could play in the bottom half of the Premier League or the top half of the CCC and look at home in either . I hope those on here advocating his sale do actually realise the transfer fee generated will go straight to our creditors rather than on signing an player of equivalent quality .

Surmans a good player for us and I would be sorry if he went. However, if he has the opportunity to better himself who can blame him? I certainly wanted to better myself when working and took every promotion that was offerred to me.By working hard and spending ours at night school to get qualified, I owed it to myself and my family. Reality says that the Club need the money too.

Don't blame him if he wants to go, the club is in an awful state. That said, we'll get a lot more for him than we would have done last season when he was as weak as a kitten at times. Drew has addressed his lack of upper body strength - which remains a problem for most of our team - and hence he has been able to influence games a lot more this season.

Hopefully the bank won't swallow the lot and we can bring in two or three experienced CCC players with some of the money.

Matt Le Tiss said on Sky Monday night he thought Surman lacked that bit of pace to become a premiership player.

I tend to agree, he is a bit slow......and he will have to learn not to chicken out of virtually every tackle like he did against Wolves.

Good for us, but for the Premiership ? Cant see it myself.

Still if its him or Lallana, rather than both, I would vote to keep Adam.

Er?? Pot and kettle Mr. MLT! ;)

gutted to hear him on Hampshire Radio speak with little or no desire to stay IMO. He talked about keeping his head down but from what I heard it sounded very much like he was just waiting for a Premiership offer.

Surman is a top player and contrary to the statements above mine he is playing very well indeed right now. He appears to have a great engine to add to a fine first touch, ability on the ball and desire to urst into the box.

The game is all about opinions but anyone that descirbes him as a League 1 player it talking complete and utter ******** and doesn't know their arse from the elbow when it comes to spotting player talent. Next you will be telling me Wotton will be a fine replacement.

I do not think you can blame any player for wanting to better themselves at all, but the comments Drew has made merely point out that he feels he is ready for a step up, which is not actually saying he wants to leave at all, unless it might further his career.

We have all had ambition in our lives, just some more than others so if Drew decides to leave for a bigger club, or one with genuine opportunity to get into the PL then good luck to him. He has served us well so far for 100 odd games and has not moaned as far as I am aware when played out of position at left back and is currently doing a good job.

If Saints had any chance of making it to the PL then i am sure he would want to play there for us and not someone else, but there is no great chance of that for the foreseeable future so you cannot blame the guy if he considers any offers the club is willing to take come January.

I hope he stays, but if not, good luck Drew.

I would be very sorry to see him go. He is one of the few in the team to take responsibility. He does make runs into the box and his movement is good. He would also look a lot better with the right kind of player alongside him. There are lots of average players in the Premiership. I think he could make it for one very good reason - he is left-footed, and there is always a shortage of left-sided players. Still, I'd rather he stayed, at least until the summer.

Funny how peoples attitudes change as soon as it looks like he's off.

One of our best players, we really need to keep hold of him. If he has this attitude though then i'm very disappointed, as I have spoken to him and really thought he loved the club as much as we do - I honestly would be more than happy playing for Saints. FFS, he isn't living on bread and butter here, he doesn't need more.

If he has this attitude (and its a big IF) then maybe he is ****ed off at the consistent instability and bull**** going on at the club right now! That in itself might be a reason to want to leave!

Professional sportsmen are usually very driven people by nature and therefore sentiment rarely comes into making decisions about their careers.

I would be very sorry to see him go. He is one of the few in the team to take responsibility. He does make runs into the box and his movement is good. He would also look a lot better with the right kind of player alongside him. There are lots of average players in the Premiership. I think he could make it for one very good reason - he is left-footed, and there is always a shortage of left-sided players. Still, I'd rather he stayed, at least until the summer.

Makes sense to me. Keep him at St Marys for the team effort to stay up.

But he must have some incentive, pay wise until the summer.

I just get the impression the club wants him off more than the player.

Let us hope there is a compromise ie we hit some luck with a couple of the high earners offloaded.

Resign and leave the club for good thus attracting back 2-6 thousand fans per match. I'd rather Lowe did no more for this club.

Surman? Sell him. Clearly doesnt want to be part of a team of losers.

i was hoping for a sensible reply...then i saw the bit about an extra 2-6k returning and i assume you mean return immediately..

LOL

then you say yourself to sell surman.....

my word

Not for the first time, I'm probably in a minority of one, but I think he could do a decent job for at least half the sides in the Premiership.

He's a good all-round player - his lack of pace wouldn't matter so much in a side with plenty of pace around him.

Like one or two others, he's suffered over the last couple of years because he's been surrounded by a load of dross and had tactically inept managers.

What an odd post. Surman hasn't suffered at all. He is 22 ffs. He has had a lot of chances; has done well but has particularly come on under JP to the point where yes as a CM in a Premier side he could do a good job. He won't be a regular starter and that's his dilemna. He can stay here; possibly become an even better player; earn much more money than makes sense and maybe one day get back in the Prem or he can go to Bolton; Stoke; Middlesboro now; earn more than is decently excusable for a few years as a squad player; and then eke out a pretty decent living as an ageing journeymen at a Championship side.

Either way he hardly loses.

This is probably why he committed himself to absolutely nothing in that interview. In a nutshell he said: if I stay here good; if I go to (Fulham/West ham/Spuds or indeed any mediocre Prem Side) good. No great insights there.

Resign and leave the club for good thus attracting back 2-6 thousand fans per match. I'd rather Lowe did no more for this club.

Surman? Sell him. Clearly doesnt want to be part of a team of losers.

In your dreams. 20-60 perhaps - and they are all on this forum!!

gutted to hear him on Hampshire Radio speak with little or no desire to stay IMO. He talked about keeping his head down but from what I heard it sounded very much like he was just waiting for a Premiership offer.

Surman is a top player and contrary to the statements above mine he is playing very well indeed right now. He appears to have a great engine to add to a fine first touch, ability on the ball and desire to urst into the box.

The game is all about opinions but anyone that descirbes him as a League 1 player it talking complete and utter ******** and doesn't know their arse from the elbow when it comes to spotting player talent. Next you will be telling me Wotton will be a fine replacement.

Got to agree Chez - since going back to MF he has looked good, full of running and TBH he has probably had the most shots on goal from MF than any of the others - he hasn't scored as most if not all have been charged down but he at least has got in the position to give it a go.

Were Jones and Fuller premiership players in your eyes?

they were in mine. KJ was the best striker in the CCC by miles in my opinion. Not seen a guy leap as well as him ever. Fuller always had the ability to beat a man all ends up and very few strikers have that. He creates chances out of nothing (like Henry Camera did) and that ability is worth its weight in gold.

Returning to Lallana and Surman. Lallana is going to be seen by Premiership scouts as another Aaron Ramsey. If you don't get in and buy him now at £5m then in a season's time he is going to be snapped up by a big boy.

Surman reminds me more of a Lescott. Not in playing style, but in that everyone knows all about him and someone just needs to take a punt at the right price. If he leaves for less than £3m we have been robbed IMO. He might not be the finished article, but he is a quality player that is going to get better and better. I've been saying for yonks that he is made for a central role and he has proved this season that he can really play. He's playing very similar to Guthrie and look how well he did once given a go in the Premiership.

Those that slate these two players, who would you honestly prefer in the side to replace them, bearing in mind the transfer money will pay of the overdraft and there will be tiny wages available for any incomers.

We failed miserably to replace Bale etc last time (hence we are where we are) what on earth makes you think we will do better this time round?

Agreed. Bye Drew, thanks for everything. Have fun on the bench.

Cheers Rupert.... bang goes another player who had the chance to become a Saints loyal legend.

So he's rubbish and you don't care if he goes. But if he does it's all Rupert's fault. Go figure.

There's plenty of players in the Prem who are no quicker than Drew. If you have a good footie brain, and you've got some quickies around you, you'll do fine. HCDAJ up there.

And for all those waving him out the door (this point has already been made but is worth repeating) -- his replacement will not be as good because none of the transfer money will be given over to strengthen the team. It'll be another punt on a Gasmi-like figure who may eventually turn out to be the next Zidane, or more realistically won't.

I love supporting Saints, and I reckon we'll win 3-1 at Burnley.