RIP Ray Mursell

andymcrowe

Sad news to report that Ray Murcell, who collected just about the biggest collection of Saints memorabilia and was for many years a Saints Season Ticket Holder and regular face outside of the ground died last weekend aged 78 . Ray was a very modest and unassuming fan and will be missed by his family and friends.

Ray's funeral was today and I am pleased to say Brian O'Neil, Tommy Hare, Denis Hollywood and Lawrie McMenemy turned up. For me that is wonderful that ex players and an ex manager took the time to pay tribute to a devoted fan. Fair play and hopefully now we can once again have a club that respects properly the local community. Too many funerals recently the club have not sent anyone to represent them and while I accept football has changed a lot of the players' relatives come from a different era and they don't understand why the club grandees just don't seem to care.

Ray's funeral was today and I am pleased to say Brian O'Neil, Tommy Hare, Denis Hollywood and Lawrie McMenemy turned up. For me that is wonderful that ex players and an ex manager took the time to pay tribute to a devoted fan. Fair play and hopefully now we can once again have a club that respects properly the local community. Too many funerals recently the club have not sent anyone to represent them and while I accept football has changed a lot of the players' relatives come from a different era and they don't understand why the club grandees just don't seem to care.

That's certainly an area where the new hierarchy can improve on the old one. Hopefully someone will let them know.