Would you change positons with Sunderland?

Barry Sanchez

The only reason I want to stay in this league is if we have a genuine chance of winning something. If we go down in say a decade having done nothing but finish mid table or below then what is the point? Look at the likes of Swansea, regardless of what they do going forward they have won a cup and no one can take that away.

anyone that honestly would replace a cup with our premiership status is mad. We haven't been a mediocre mid table premiership side playing dull hoof football.....we have been totally entertained by this brilliant young side. There have not been many games this season where we have not played wonderful football....can anyone immagine this side with the likes of Sturridge and Suarez leading our front line (no disrespect to our current strikers)......anyone thinking we would keep hold of this quality bunch of lads in the Championship is deluded.....a cup would be nice but not at the sacrifice of our Premiership status.

This thread was an embarassment to the true fans when it was started, and is beyong rididiculous now. Can't believe how negative and defeatist Poyet is, they're meant to be fighting for their lives and he comes out and admits that they are as good as relegated, nearly as unbelievable a thing to say as those on here who would rather get relegated and lose a final than be in 8th place

The only reason I want to stay in this league is if we have a genuine chance of winning something. If we go down in say a decade having done nothing but finish mid table or below then what is the point? Look at the likes of Swansea, regardless of what they do going forward they have won a cup and no one can take that away.

Well maybe I´m strange to actually enjoy my team to compete with the best week in and week out and try to win as many of those games, instead of just some selective ones (cup games).

Well maybe I´m strange to actually enjoy my team to compete with the best week in and week out and try to win as many of those games, instead of just some selective ones (cup games).

Maybe I'm strange too but probably the most I've enjoyed going to watch Saints over a consistent period has been in the past 6 or 7 years, probably the play-off season onwards. A big part of that mix has been relegation (in fact two of them).

All supporters want to aspire to the best for their side, but relegation holds no fear at all for me as I know going to watch football can be equally brilliant in the lower leagues despite the obvious gulf in quality. In a completely theoretical situation, if you offered me our past 10 seasons or 10 seasons of finishing 8th - 14th in the Premier league, I know what I'd take.

Aren't you too being selective? Some would like us to go for the cup games as well. I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't bother in the League.

Aren't you too being selective? Some would like us to go for the cup games as well. I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't bother in the League.

Nah, you've got it all wrong.

Remember that awful season we were so terribly distracted by the heavy burden of pointless cup games? Under the weight of a sickening trip to Cardiff we could only scrape eighth place.

This season is far better. Free from the heavy shackles of a debilitating cup program we can express ourselves and throw all our energy into a quite brilliant eighth place.

Cup runs equals terrible league performance. SAINTS CANNOT EVER DO BOTH.

LOOK AT SUNDERLAND FFS. WIGAN WIGAN ETC.

Maybe I'm strange too but probably the most I've enjoyed going to watch Saints over a consistent period has been in the past 6 or 7 years, probably the play-off season onwards. A big part of that mix has been relegation (in fact two of them).

All supporters want to aspire to the best for their side, but relegation holds no fear at all for me as I know going to watch football can be equally brilliant in the lower leagues despite the obvious gulf in quality. In a completely theoretical situation, if you offered me our past 10 seasons or 10 seasons of finishing 8th - 14th in the Premier league, I know what I'd take.

I think you are looking at things through rose coloured spectacles. It is great to play League 1 football when you know that you are likely to win more games than you will lose and that you have a good chance of promotion.To have been stuck at that level of footballl for too long would not have been so enjoyable. If we were still going to the likes of Leyton Orient and Walsall season after season I dare say that the fun would have evaporated by now.

For me those 4 seasons in the Championship were simply dire. Our football got worse and worse. The likes of WayneThomas and Chris Makin were the lynchpins of our team. Anyone who went to Sheffield Wednesday when we lost 5-0 is unlikely to testify to the brilliance of supporting a lower league team.

Yep. And to be honest I've seen a load of seasons where saints have played well or finished fairly high up the league. I've never seen us win a proper cup.

I think you are looking at things through rose coloured spectacles. It is great to play League 1 football when you know that you are likely to win more games than you will lose and that you have a good chance of promotion.To have been stuck at that level of footballl for too long would not have been so enjoyable. If we were still going to the likes of Leyton Orient and Walsall season after season I dare say that the fun would have evaporated by now.

For me those 4 seasons in the Championship were simply dire. Our football got worse and worse. The likes of WayneThomas and Chris Makin were the lynchpins of our team. Anyone who went to Sheffield Wednesday when we lost 5-0 is unlikely to testify to the brilliance of supporting a lower league team.

I think you're looking at it through your own viewpoint, so it's probably best not to try and tell others their own opinions. Everyone thinks differently about this, so trying to apply a common way of thinking is as bizarre as it is pointless.

You say we had 4 seasons of dire football in the Championship. I'd counter that by saying that, from the start of the Premier League (and arrival of Branfoot) we had many more than 4 years of dire football. So that's not exclusive to the Championship by any stretch. And for all the results you want to cherry pick, there's plenty in the Premier League you can point to that were embarrassing days as a Saints fan (Spurs 2-7, Arsenal 0-6, Newcastle 0-5, Everton 1-7 etc etc etc).

The one thing I will say is that watching Saints this season is probably better than any other Premier League season I can remember. It's up there with the 1989/90 season in terms of enjoyment for me. But having watched a whole load of turgid sh*t in the Premier League years, I truthfully enjoyed the lower leagues just as much, often more. Yeah, it was good to get out of League 1 when we did. But the Championship is a brilliant league, and while relegation is definitely not to be wished for, I'd know that a return to that sort of football is no problem for me.

If it's not for you, then fine, I completely accept that others will think entirely differently. But that's my opinion and I know some others feel that way too, so it's no good telling me what level of football I should and shouldn't find more or less enjoyable.

I think you're looking at it through your own viewpoint, so it's probably best not to try and tell others their own opinions. Everyone thinks differently about this, so trying to apply a common way of thinking is as bizarre as it is pointless.

You say we had 4 seasons of dire football in the Championship. I'd counter that by saying that, from the start of the Premier League (and arrival of Branfoot) we had many more than 4 years of dire football. So that's not exclusive to the Championship by any stretch. And for all the results you want to cherry pick, there's plenty in the Premier League you can point to that were embarrassing days as a Saints fan (Spurs 2-7, Arsenal 0-6, Newcastle 0-5, Everton 1-7 etc etc etc).

The one thing I will say is that watching Saints this season is probably better than any other Premier League season I can remember. It's up there with the 1989/90 season in terms of enjoyment for me. But having watched a whole load of turgid sh*t in the Premier League years, I truthfully enjoyed the lower leagues just as much, often more. Yeah, it was good to get out of League 1 when we did. But the Championship is a brilliant league, and while relegation is definitely not to be wished for, I'd know that a return to that sort of football is no problem for me.

If it's not for you, then fine, I completely accept that others will think entirely differently. But that's my opinion and I know some others feel that way too, so it's no good telling me what level of football I should and shouldn't find more or less enjoyable.

What a strabnge response. Of course I am looking at this from my own yiewpoint. I thought the point of a forum was to discuss things from one's own viewpoint. Feel free to have your own views. I am not going to stop you.

My viewi is that whilst it was fun going to places like Leyton Orient and Walsall, the novelty would have worn off by now if we were still stuck in that division. Is that all right by you??

What a strabnge response. Of course I am looking at this from my own yiewpoint. I thought the point of a forum was to discuss things from one's own viewpoint. Feel free to have your own views. I am not going to stop you.

My viewi is that whilst it was fun going to places like Leyton Orient and Walsall, the novelty would have worn off by now if we were still stuck in that division. Is that all right by you??

Fine by me dude. Your opening comment was "I think you're looking at it through rose tinted glasses", which was a bit of a generalisation rather than my opinion.

As I said, 2 years in League 1 was about enough, I was glad to get promoted from that. But I have a lot of respect for the Championship as a division, really enjoyed our time there (even when we were really sh*t; bizarrely I went to more games that season than many others).

Horses for courses, really. Hopefully we'll keep improving as a side and actually compete for some stuff. But the whole "survival at all costs in the top league" is something I left behind long ago, I know that I've enjoyed football in both divisions equally at various points.