Would you change positons with Sunderland?

Barry Sanchez

• 3 weeks later...

No way would I swap. I think they will get so caught up in the Cup they will go the way of Wigan.. They may end up with games in hand and that was Wigan's undoing. They go to the end of the season believing they could get the results they needed. Ran out of runway.. If we can really kick on in the league we could make 7th or 6th and that would be good if we want to attract good players in the summer. We need to strengthen the squad and then who knows.

I would have changed positions with them a long time ago, my position on that is clear, why? Because they have an opportunity to actually win things, I bet the City is buzzing dont you?

yes im sure the fans are buzzing. would i swap no beacause we have a far better team, better academy and things are bright for the club.

the one thing i hope is we learn from our mistakes this year and take the competition more seriously next year. the team is great and are more than capable of doing really well next year if given the chance.

Say they win both Cups and stay up?

I had that thought too, but then I remembered Middlesbrough some time back... (during Bryan Robson's management years) .

They got to TWO Cup Finals....lost both of them....and then got relegated.

I go with the OP ....it's a no-brainer .....8th. in the Prem. sounds pretty good to me, and at least we'll have something to build on next season.

Gus, on the other hand may win a Cup, but end up like Wigan.. (that's if Sunderland Board don't sack him for getting them relegated).

8th in the Premiership, a far more talented squad built with home grown English players, one of the best academy systems around, stable financial footing behind the club, a clearly talented manager and potential for it to get even better?

Or Sunderland in a relegation fight, with a hotch potch squad of overpaid ex Man Utd squad players and some journeyman foreigners?

Just because they are in the final of a cup that most people don't really care about anyway?

A no brainer really, on the path Sunderland are on if they don't get relegated this year then they probably will next year or the year after.

I would say pretty much every mid-sized or small club in the country would love to be in the position we are in now (and I don't just mean league position)

Still no. As much as they've done well in cups, relegation battles are too stressful as a fan. Ok, so we're almost stuck where we are in the league, but I have to admit that it's nice for the first time in a few years to not have to be constantly worrying about our result, as well as 5 or 6 other teams. Let's be honest, Sunderland might still go down (can't see it myself but it's mathematically possible) and probably won't win either cup. I think come the end of the season, once we've all calmed down from the disgraceful events on Saturday, the majority will agree they'd rather be where we are.

"They win both cups and stay up"

......... No good, no matter how many times I say it, it still won't happen and even if it did, I'd still rather be in our position. Sound club, attractive football, great academy.

You don't have to give up that part. Just our position with Sunderland in the league, and their League Cup final and FA cup quarter final.

8th in the Premiership, a far more talented squad built with home grown English players, one of the best academy systems around, stable financial footing behind the club, a clearly talented manager and potential for it to get even better?

Or Sunderland in a relegation fight, with a hotch potch squad of overpaid ex Man Utd squad players and some journeyman foreigners?

Just because they are in the final of a cup that most people don't really care about anyway?

A no brainer really, on the path Sunderland are on if they don't get relegated this year then they probably will next year or the year after.

I would say pretty much every mid-sized or small club in the country would love to be in the position we are in now (and I don't just mean league position)

You don't have to give up that part. Just our position with Sunderland in the league, and their League Cup final and FA cup quarter final.

We wouldn't be in as sound a position if we were fighting relegation. The fear of going down could wreck everything, do I don't agree.

Still, no. They could easily go down and the Cups could contribute to this.

OK would you swap for our 6 top flight titles and our 2 FA Cups and our 40,000+ average crowds despite being in a city smaller than Southampton?

Not being funny but isn't football supposed to be about trying to win things? You have had a good season (but its just that, ONE good season, in fact its not even a full good season yet) Its no reason to get carried away and assume you've cracked it because the premier league can come back and bite you on the arse. You are not one of the bullet proof elite and your club like mine will inevitably find itself back in the Championship sooner or later.

Our form since the first 8 games under the fruit loop when we collected 1 point and the players were not even talking to the coaching staff and manager, is actually every bit as good as yours. That period may well still do for us, but at least we are giving it a bloody good go and we have had some great moments along the way. A double v Newcastle for the first time since 1966, a home win v Man City, knocking Chelsea and Man Utd out of the league cup and securing our first Wembley trip for 16 years. Now we find ourselves with a real chance of making the next wait for a Wembley trip a mere 5 weeks!!

Its been a brilliant season and I am loving every bit of it.

And you know what? If we go down, football does not die. Some of my best moments in football have been outside the premier league which for the most part is tedious beyond belief for supporters of clubs like ours.

Our last 6 seasons in the championship have seen us finish 1st, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, and 1st and they have all been cracking good entertainment. I would argue we are the most successful second tier side in English football history given that we have won the second tier title 5 times been runners up twice and also won the FA Cup from the second division. I know your lot also won the cup from the second division but we can still trump you as we made a second final from there as well. I don't think anyone else has got to two FA Cup finals from outside the top flight.

OK would you swap for our 6 top flight titles and our 2 FA Cups and our 40,000+ average crowds despite being in a city smaller than Southampton?

Not being funny but isn't football supposed to be about trying to win things? You have had a good season (but its just that, ONE good season, in fact its not even a full good season yet) Its no reason to get carried away and assume you've cracked it because the premier league can come back and bite you on the arse. You are not one of the bullet proof elite and your club like mine will inevitably find itself back in the Championship sooner or later.

Our form since the first 8 games under the fruit loop when we collected 1 point and the players were not even talking to the coaching staff and manager, is actually every bit as good as yours. That period may well still do for us, but at least we are giving it a bloody good go and we have had some great moments along the way. A double v Newcastle for the first time since 1966, a home win v Man City, knocking Chelsea and Man Utd out of the league cup and securing our first Wembley trip for 16 years. Now we find ourselves with a real chance of making the next wait for a Wembley trip a mere 5 weeks!!

And you know what? If we go down, football does not die. Some of my best moments in football have been outside the premier league which for the most part is tedious beyond belief for supporters of clubs like ours.

Our last 6 seasons in the championship have seen us finish 1st, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, and 1st and they have all been cracking good entertainment. I would argue we are the most successful second tier side in English football history given that we have won the second tier title 5 times been runners up twice and also won the FA Cup from the second division. I know your lot also won the cup from the second division but we can still trump you as we made a second final from there as well. I don't think anyone else has got to two FA Cup finals from outside the top flight.

Wouldn't say inevitably. Last time we stayed up for 27 years. We are much stronger financially now too, with a billionaire owner and filthy Sky lucre.

I hate to say it but Gus has done brilliantly for you so far. If you stay up (and win a cup or two) you will have indeed had a great season, you bastards. ;)

Going down can be a disaster, and we almost did die actually after our last relegation. Yes there are parachute payments, but the gulf in money now can cripple a club. I admire you being sanguine about the possibility of relegation, but I wouldn't swap positions. If we went down our billionaire owner could get bored (or rather her nipper might) and it could all unravel damned quickly.

I can feel the passion in your post and it is great to see. We all love our own club and follow them through thick and thin. I could never support another club so I can see where you are coming from. I am not arrogant to believe that our premier future is secure, of course not. Indeed, as other posters will tell you I am always looking over my shoulder at our points and only feel safe when we reach 40 plus points. Having supported Saints in the 80's and 90's I have seen to many close calls and relegation scraps to take top flight football for granted.

It is for this reason I would not swap places with Sunderland at the moment. I am loving the league at the moment. It is a rare luxury supporting Saints to be 8th and 'safe' in February and I would like us to finish strongly and play without fear in the remaining games. Also, I believe we have to build for next season and i think we can do this now. So, for these reasons, no, I would not swap with your team. But, I understand where you are coming from and good luck for the rest of the season !

• 1 month later...
Sunderland are the worst team in the league by far....

Our results against them this season = W0 D2 L2 :facepalm:

The only thing that would make that better is if we swapped places with them. What a season up there for those fans

Sunderland are the worst team in the league by far....

Our results against them this season = W0 D2 L2 :facepalm:

Unlucky for them that the table this year is decided from 38 games and from playing every other team in the league...

Kind of a new thing I heard....