Brighton announce Loss

Saint86

Article on the Beeb about brighton announcing a £14.7m loss for the annual accounts, and an £8m for last financial year.

Really puts it into perspective how important being able to rely on youth players is for us as a club.

Realistically, they had a tiny wage bill compared to us in league 1, with minimal income from the withdean. Yet despite the very large boost in turnover they've had in moving to the Amex they look to have hit their glass ceiling and stalled (perhaps).

In comparison, we had a net transfer spend of circa £3m under Adkins (thanks directly to the youth academy) which saw us through to two promotions.

We are now reaping the benefit of it in the top flight to further push our progress and if we can continue producing players of the level they currently are it gives us a massive advantage over the other top 6 rivals? Those we may sell (shaw) will go for circa £20-£25m, our wage bill is smaller, we can fill the squad positions with no transfer fees and no low agent costs, and we have a great team spirit and loyalty.

Granted Brigton aren't everton, tottenham etc.. But they are another team we have left behind relative to where we were, and if we are trully in a race with teams like tottenham, everton, liverpool, newcastle, dare I say united? then producing the next walcott, shaw, oxlade, bale (:blush:) gives us a massive leg up on those teams in one respect. They can have all the sponsorship they want if we get the players for free :smug:

I know Tony Bloom has got a few quid so I wonder how long he'll continue losing his own money. SMS cost a fraction of what their ground cost. If he does ever pull out, theyre in trouble. Its not as if theyve been spending massive money on players too.

Weren't we the club whose owners wrote off £30m of debt whilst we were in the championship?

Debt to Equity swap, not "quite" the same.

When we were in the Championship under Lowe with "Shareholders" and Lowe was seeking to sell (before Admin) the asking price for the club was .....

£30m.

The asking price for the club now is > £150m, so on paper the "owners" have not written off anything, and in fact have (on paper) made a significant profit.

It may be worth noting Brighton are actually investing in their training and youth set up. They are currently building a 30m facility in Lancing due to open later this year. It's on a par with ours and not that far away really. I know they have a long way to go before emulating ourselves with youth players etc but at least they are heading in the right direction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24476352

I know Tony Bloom has got a few quid so I wonder how long he'll continue losing his own money. SMS cost a fraction of what their ground cost. If he does ever pull out, theyre in trouble. Its not as if theyve been spending massive money on players too.

This is an aspect that has always confused me. Why was SMS so cheap, at £1000 a seat? A total of £32m. Amex Stadium was £93m for 30k capacity, or about £3000 per seat. Given that Amex was also on (I think) a green-field site, there was no cost of land clearance etc.

Is it down to SMS being an identi-kit stadium? I know that many people like to put it down as being boring and no different from certain other clubs, but given the price, happy to live with the criticism

This is an aspect that has always confused me. Why was SMS so cheap, at £1000 a seat? A total of £32m. Amex Stadium was £93m for 30k capacity, or about £3000 per seat. Given that Amex was also on (I think) a green-field site, there was no cost of land clearance etc.

Is it down to SMS being an identi-kit stadium? I know that many people like to put it down as being boring and no different from certain other clubs, but given the price, happy to live with the criticism

A big chunk will be the inflation of building costs since SMS was built, but they also had a long running and difficult planning application process, with protests, opposition and a Dept of Environment eventual appeal. Guess some of it was also down to providing all the associated infrastructure and services needed in the middle of nowhere

A big chunk will be the inflation of building costs since SMS was built, but they also had a long running and difficult planning application process, with protests, opposition and a Dept of Environment eventual appeal. Guess some of it was also down to providing all the associated infrastructure and services needed in the middle of nowhere

Its not as if we didnt have a massive period of application planning. The problem is where it was. Basically it's set into the ground. There was much more prep work than ours. Also you only have to look at the design of it to see it would be more expensive to construct.

_57189024_57189023.jpg

P1000340.jpg

Debt to Equity swap, not "quite" the same.

When we were in the Championship under Lowe with "Shareholders" and Lowe was seeking to sell (before Admin) the asking price for the club was .....

£30m.

The asking price for the club now is > £150m, so on paper the "owners" have not written off anything, and in fact have (on paper) made a significant profit.

As will the Brighton if they get up to the Prem.

Or an incredible £8,400 per seat for Wembley. SMS was a great deal. Its easy to splash loads of extra money on escalators and marble cladding but all you really need is good sight lines and easy access.

Or an incredible £8,400 per seat for Wembley. SMS was a great deal. Its easy to splash loads of extra money on escalators and marble cladding but all you really need is good sight lines and easy access.

Decent real ale and pies would also help.

A £93m interest free loan to the club for the stadium (and another £30m loan for the training ground) suggests to me that he won't be pulling out soon. Besides, you don't go to the trouble they did to get the stadium and then turn your back on the club shortly after.

Just shows that by ad large for sides looking to get promoted from the Championship they face £10m+ losses a season should they fail.