The real reason that we sacrificed the cups...

Unbelievable Jeff

So it's nearly two days since a very disappointing display, and yes of course it is very disappointing we are out of the cup.

I get that fans are upset, especially those who made the fantastic effort of travelling to and from SoL for the game.

But, I do think some reaction has been over the top. There seems talk now that it's as if we have thrown the cup away, assuming it was ever in our grasp. There would still be 3 games left to play, and personally I don't buy into the idea that we absolutely have got the same draw as Sunderland. With out want to get into MLG's Butterfly effect & Chaos theory talks, it doesn't really work like that.

Also, have I missed something? Is there not an FA Cup competition next season, will we now never get another go at the cups.

I haven't really commented on here since Saturday, mostly due to avoiding the usual hysteria that comes after a loss.

I do also find myself agreeing with those that mention the chances the team did make, and miss. I fail to see how these missed chances, and the fact the only goal we conceded was an absolute wordly (Boruc would no way have saved that - no keeper would) makes the loss totally the manager, or the clubs fault or how it shows a complete lack of respect to the fans.

Yes, it is a disappointing result but it isn't the first one in our history, and I'm sure we will have many more disappointing (probably many that are much more disappointing) than Saturday.

It's monday morning, time to get some perspective. Our team lost a game, time to move on. It really isn't the end of the world.

This argument just doesn't hold up. Not one person has said we'd win it, no-one knows what would have happened. The only fact is it was a great opportunity with good odds of making at least one trip to Wembley. If you don't go for it in these circumstances, you never will. That's why there's an extreme reaction. It's hard to imagine a better chance to go for it, quality squad, completely safe in the league, most big teams out and remaining 2 distracted by CL/League.

I think many fans are realising we just won't win it in their lifetime and it's a depressing realisation. Everyone can handle not being good enough, mistakes etc., we've put up with that for many years. But not caring, giving up on cups etc? If it was just saints fine, but it's a wider trend and the sport is becoming utterly ridiculous. Big clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool content to finish 4th? 4th over silverware. That is the most depressing development in my time watching football.

'Remember that great season when we were the 4th best team in the league?'. Brilliant, who needs medals.

Who is to say next season won't see City/Utd, Chelsea/Arsenal, Liverpool/Tottenham drawn in the 3rd round?

It was a good chance, but I don't buy this argument it was the most amazing chance ever.

Those teams at the top and in the CL are always likely to still be in the Cup & CL at this stage - or at least a few of them. This is why they have such huge squads of internationals.

I agree, I think it was a good chance, but I don't think this year was the once in a lifetime opportunity you suggest.

Saints have never won the cup in my lifetime, but I'm not going to start thinking it will never happen simply because of Saturday. That's a massive over-reaction I think.

We'll still be in the cup next year, and the year after etc.

Who is to say next season won't see City/Utd, Chelsea/Arsenal, Liverpool/Tottenham drawn in the 3rd round?

It was a good chance, but I don't buy this argument it was the most amazing chance ever.

Those teams at the top and in the CL are always likely to still be in the Cup & CL at this stage - or at least a few of them. This is why they have such huge squads of internationals.

I agree, I think it was a good chance, but I don't think this year was the once in a lifetime opportunity you suggest.

Saints have never won the cup in my lifetime, but I'm not going to start thinking it will never happen simply because of Saturday. That's a massive over-reaction I think.

We'll still be in the cup next year, and the year after etc.

How rare is it for us to have so little else to play for at this stage of the FA Cup?

How rare is it for us to have so little else to play for at this stage of the FA Cup?

Recently yes, but barring an absolute exodus in the summer I see that being the way for a few years anyway.

Or, until we get into the Europa League and get hit by all the extra fixtures like Swansea this season and Newcastle last season. I don't think either side would have flirted with the drop zone if it weren't for those extra games.

I don't see us struggling next season either, so we may very well be in a similar circumstance then.

I will re-assert again, as it seems to be getting lost - I am disappointed by the teams performance on Saturday, and the fact we are out of the cup. But I feel like that every season when we go out.

Yes, this was indeed a good chance to win it. But the doomsday talk of some that there will never be another good chance just seems OTT to me.

Recently yes, but barring an absolute exodus in the summer I see that being the way for a few years anyway.

Or, until we get into the Europa League and get hit by all the extra fixtures like Swansea this season and Newcastle last season. I don't think either side would have flirted with the drop zone if it weren't for those extra games.

I don't see us struggling next season either, so we may very well be in a similar circumstance then.

I will re-assert again, as it seems to be getting lost - I am disappointed by the teams performance on Saturday, and the fact we are out of the cup. But I feel like that every season when we go out.

Yes, this was indeed a good chance to win it. But the doomsday talk of some that there will never be another good chance just seems OTT to me.

Right, but this Saturday's game suggested that if we're in the same situation next year the club's policy would most likely be the same, that's just as depressing. I can think of too many occassions over the years where we've had so little to play for in the league but have decided not to focus on the FA Cup, can you?

So, according to a friend of mine (he is a good friend of someone high up in the club) there is a good reason for Pochettino to concentrate on the league. He has an automatic clause in his contract that increases his pay and extends his contract if he finishes above 8th position. Makes sense as to the way he has sacrificed the cups, not that I agree with it at all as a fan.

This was on facebook and twitter after the cup exit, more or less straight away. I personally dont buy it.

And we hardly 'threw away the cup' its not like we were in the Semi's or anything, our first 11 is tired, they were rested and we played on paper what should be a strong team.

If anything it shows that below the first 11 we are too weak, we knew this anyway from our poor run of form earlier in the season. I think the scariest thing is that if Lallana isnt performing (and he had a poor game by his very high standards) and Jay Rod doesnt play then were are the goals coming from ?

If anything it shows that below the first 11 we are too weak, we knew this anyway from our poor run of form earlier in the season. I think the scariest thing is that if Lallana isnt performing (and he had a poor game by his very high standards) and Jay Rod doesnt play then were are the goals coming from ?

The proof of this is that we had to play nigh on our full first team to beat nigh on bottom of the Championship Yeovil. Guly was crap then, he was dire on Saturday, bloke just shouldn't be here any more because there are better players for less money no doubt. Shouldn't have given away Osvaldo in such desperate circumstances, other clubs have had bad boys and yet they

manage to limit the effects and get something out of them, why isn't Cattermole supposed to be a real pest ? Lack of top management ability is what it's all about, we needed a real CEO and that got f*cked up.

Edited by Window Cleaner

The proof of this is that we had to play nigh on our full first tea

Exactly

Only really Jos, Davis and Guly are any real reservists. The rest have had a reasonable amount of game time. Looking back now Im not so annoyed at the team sheet but the sheer lack of any meaningful quality from any of our lads on the pitch who have on many occassions proven themselves to be perfectly able.

Right, but this Saturday's game suggested that if we're in the same situation next year the club's policy would most likely be the same, that's just as depressing. I can think of too many occassions over the years where we've had so little to play for in the league but have decided not to focus on the FA Cup, can you?

I'm not convinced it's a policy necessarily. The first XI can't play every game, and the other players need games too. We have seen at times what happens when players get a bit ring rusty. There has to be times when we rotate the squad a bit.

I don't totally agree with the way the team was picked, but can sort of understand it. The first team had played 2 tough games, in tough conditions in that week - Sunderland had had their game postponed.

You could perhaps argue that the players coming in should try even harder to force their way back into the team. Ultimately, those on the field (including the first XI regulars) didn't show up. We were hardly outclassed or torn apart (though Sunderland seemed to want it more) and lost due to a worldy strike - squad selection had nothing to do with that, Boruc wouldn't have stopped it, and the inability of our players to take their chances. 99/100 Rickie buries that chance at the end and it's not all the doom and gloom.

Such fine margins in sport, which is of course what makes it so exciting for us fans.

I completely understand the disappointment, and share in that. But, I think some of the stuff is a little OTT.

I think Kelvin, Jos and Guly played exactly as I'd expect. Don't blame them one bit, they tried their best but are limited. With Kelvin there the defence won't relax, so that doesn't help the likes of Jos either, distribution was appalling and it puts the whole team under pressure.

If you're fine with a manager refusing to give interviews for cup games and ignoring fans then fine, but I'm not. Maybe saints should have won anyway, but our strongest side went there and failed to win so taking it that lightly simply didn't deserve to pay off.

He doesn't refuse to give interviews, Perez does the interviews for the cup games, that's the way it is and no amount of wailing and gnashing is going to change it.

And who is to say that wasn't our strongest team, was any one one of the experts here at the training ground last week to see who had injuries and who didn't? Do any of the TV pundits know these details? I highly doubt it.

I'm fecked off we're out of the cup, juts like I am every year but I'm more fecked off with the weak capitulation by the players rather than the way the manager manages the squad.

This was on facebook and twitter after the cup exit, more or less straight away. I personally dont buy it.

Was it? can you share any links to this from Twitter? The info was shared on Facebook by a Southampton employee, but never put for open public domain, only a selct few were given the info and then i posted it on here after being given permission.

Was it? can you share any links to this from Twitter? The info was shared on Facebook by a Southampton employee, but never put for open public domain, only a selct few were given the info and then i posted it on here after being given permission.
A select group lol, a Southampton employee tealady, or Chairman?

One minute not for the public and then with permission on a major Saints website. Bring back NC none of this happened under his stewardship. The minute he left one of the clubs brown nosers was straight on the phone to FB. I dislike disloyalty and would be happy for such people to be removed from their posts. Your FB friend (if there was such a person) has put out unsubstantiated rumours that help to destabilize and perhaps hurt the club. I know your agenda is anti MP and you will do your best to help get MP to leave, thankfully you have become a bit of a joke figure on here and the majority are now taking your stuff as nonsense. I know you have a few who rally around you as a kind of thicket, but Im sure in time they will also feel stupid being seen as one of your group. IMO the jury is out if you are a Skate, as i see no other reason for trying to cause such concern

One minute not for the public and then with permission on a major Saints website. Bring back NC none of this happened under his stewardship. The minute he left one of the clubs brown nosers was straight on the phone to FB. I dislike disloyalty and would be happy for such people to be removed from their posts. Your FB friend (if there was such a person) has put out unsubstantiated rumours that help to destabilize and perhaps hurt the club. I know your agenda is anti MP and you will do your best to help get MP to leave, thankfully you have become a bit of a joke figure on here and the majority are now taking your stuff as nonsense. I know you have a few who rally around you as a kind of thicket, but Im sure in time they will also feel stupid being seen as one of your group. IMO the jury is out if you are a Skate, as i see no other reason for trying to cause such concern

In fact a major issue should be made of it if there is any veracity in the original story. I want that employee hunted down and sacked. I shall write to the chairperson about it.

I believe you as always GS. Here's an idea to help us defeat the cynics... Grab a screenshot of that Facebook page we both know exists and redact the poster's name and photo so that their identity isn't compromised. That'll shut the doubters up. Always here to help mate.

I believe you as always GS. Here's an idea to help us defeat the cynics... Grab a screenshot of that Facebook page we both know exists and redact the poster's name and photo so that their identity isn't compromised. That'll shut the doubters up. Always here to help mate.

Good idea, then the club will have to conduct a witch hunt and we can burn the bugger at the stake.

In fact a major issue should be made of it if there is any veracity in the original story. I want that employee hunted down and sacked. I shall write to the chairperson about it.
no not at all, but if you have employees who show that lack of loyalty or class do you really want them at our club creating negativity?

GS isn't a "skate". If he was he would react to your accusation big time and play the persecution card. I've advised him to rise above that to avoid providing the doubters with ammunition.

no not at all, but if you have employees who show that lack of loyalty or class do you really want them at our club creating negativity?

No, that's what I said, I'd want them found and dismissed, it's a breach of trust and no doubt club policy. A contract is a private affair and no-one but the contractee has the right to air it's details in public as far as I'm aware. I'm not joking here, I'll do something about it, I've already reported it to the club.

Good idea, then the club will have to conduct a witch hunt and we can burn the bugger at the stake.
if that rumour makes MP's job harder and turns some of the fans against him it COULD mean he would be more likely to leave, are you happy about that? His integrity is being questioned, as if we believe he was happy to throw the game to get a big bonus iam sure he would not be happy

No, that's what I said, I'd want them found and dismissed, it's a breach of trust and no doubt club policy. A contract is a private affair and no-one but the contractee has the right to air it's details in public as far as I'm aware. I'm not joking here, I'll do something about it, I've already reported it to the club.
im sorry not sure if you were taking the mickey:rolleyes:

I imagine your high on the list of people that those ITK would want to share valuable information with GS. Such is your intelligence and credible posting style.

GS isn't a "skate". If he was he would react to your accusation big time and play the persecution card. I've advised him to rise above that to avoid providing the doubters with ammunition.
to think he has a few who rally around him when the going gets tough. They might start thinking twice about it when the penny drops

I just re-read the OP.

I'm confused now. Seems a lot of the people beating MP with this stick, are the ones that are convinced he will be off in the summer. Yet, he is only interested in a bonus, and contract extension.

Doesn't quite add up to me. Yes, contracts mean nothing, blah blah, but if he was looking to leave I don't see why he would play for an extension.

I just re-read the OP.

I'm confused now. Seems a lot of the people beating MP with this stick, are the ones that are convinced he will be off in the summer. Yet, he is only interested in a bonus, and contract extension.

Doesn't quite add up to me. Yes, contracts mean nothing, blah blah, but if he was looking to leave I don't see why he would play for an extension.

And same people stated earlier this season that Cortese would never accept 8th and that he would sack the manager for it but now suddenly 8th is apparently the level for bonuses....

Wait until it all falls down on top of you Glasgow; If it's wrong then there will be problems for the poster, if it's not then there will

be problems for the instigator, someone will pay for it.

Probably the fans I guess?

The club isn´t run for the fans these days, like back when Mr Lowe was here...

Probably the fans I guess?

The club isn´t run for the fans these days, like back when Mr Lowe was here...

Nothing to do with the fans, you just can't go about writing crap about people on Facebook and Twitter and on public forums.

The manager is being accused of derelection of duty for personal gain and details of his private affairs are reportedly circulating in public places. Can't stand that, not just for the point of a bit of trolling. The admin need to kick the trolls off of this forum.

So, according to a friend of mine (he is a good friend of someone high up in the club) there is a good reason for Pochettino to concentrate on the league. He has an automatic clause in his contract that increases his pay and extends his contract if he finishes above 8th position. Makes sense as to the way he has sacrificed the cups, not that I agree with it at all as a fan.

So you're admitting that you're now posting under 2 user names?

Nothing to do with the fans, you just can't go about writing crap about people on Facebook and Twitter and on public forums.

The manager is being accused of derelection of duty for personal gain and details of his private affairs are reportedly circulating in public places. Can't stand that, not just for the point of a bit of trolling. The admin need to kick the trolls off of this forum.

:lol: Most entertaining few days on this forum for a long time, I've even lost track of who is being serious now.

Genuinely have no idea whether WC is actually annoyed or is just playing up.

:?

Wait and see then, it'll take a while but the affair will be sorted out...hopefully. Don't go in for accusations like this myself, never have, never will. Nigh on every thread on this forum is either started by a troll for his personal amusement or get's taken over by trolls contradicting themselves every thirty seconds or so. I know that there will always be fors and againsts in every discussion but we just don't need people taking the **** and posting factless sh*t all of the time.

Edited by Window Cleaner

You show me yours ill show you mine

Im only posting saying that this info was out there one way or another, I cant give it any real credibility. If you are sure of the validity of your source then I feel thst you should atleast provide proof otherwise its just more look at me crap posted by an obsessive troll

No need to apologise, I've got no idea what you're really on about. What was your view on the "Guly 15 mins playing time clause" rumour from last season?

I didn't have much of a view because no-one ever claimed to have seen a copy of his contract on Facebook as far as I know.

Now if it was said that details of his contract could be seen in the public domain that would be different.

Wait and see then, it'll take a while but the affair will be sorted out...hopefully. Don't go in for accusations like this myself, never have, never will.

I'm not trying to stir, it's just hard to tell. And as I said elsewhere, I've kinda avoided the forum since Saturday, as I find the post-loss hysteria/gloating a bit much to take at times.

If you are being sincere, then fair play. I'm not one for these sorts of things either. I personally think it's nonsense, don't really know how these people would have such access to managers/players etc contracts.

Though, I also don't find the idea of a contract where someone has bonuses related to performance or certain achievements as that shocking, radical, or controversial. I wouldn't be all that surprised if there was something in there, and for the players too. Though of course I have absolutely no idea if there is or, or what exactly any of these clauses stipulate. This is purely speculation. Basically, I find this thing all a bit 'mehh'.