The real reason that we sacrificed the cups...

Unbelievable Jeff

Why would you need access to anyone's contract, the person with the contract has a mouth.

I would be very surprised if there wasn't incentive based clauses in all the playing/management staff's contracts, especially given Cortese's banking background. Maybe the players don't get much for the cup - would explain why Wanyama ponced about like he didn't give a toss.

I think this is very likely right. I know that all club employees got a big bonus the season under Strachen when we sneaked into 10th place on the last day.

Very much doubt there were significant bonuses on offer for the cups. And until the financial gain to Clubs for FA Cup success starts to match Prem League prize money clubs will continue to be not bothered.

Anyone know how much winning the cup is worth?

Also agree that it's not entirely about not wanting to win the cup, although I think Poch doesn't want the Europa place as it would over stretch us next year, but more about maximising the league chances.

If coming 8th automatically extends his contract this is a good thing?

The team we put out yesterday should have dispatched Sunderland. I personally put it down to arrogance and over confidence in our ability to turn up and win. Hope he hears the disappointment from fans and adjusts accordingly next season (on his well deserved enhanced contract).

The real reason will be revealed in the summer when The Don returns with his friends and makes us one of the richest teams in the world.

Yes of course he will.

And we'll all live happily ever after.

(For those old enough to remember it).

The real reason will be revealed in the summer when The Don returns with his friends and makes us one of the richest teams in the world.

Wish this was true but doubt he will be back this summer. The following was posted sometime ago on not606 by a reliable forum member:-

"He's heading back to Ennetbaden and selling his home in Southampton.

His boys were withdrawn from school on Friday, apparently.

Back to Switzerland for the Cortese family... who can blame them!

I don't think we'll see him appear in British football, maybe not even on the continent".

Wish this was true but doubt he will be back this summer. The following was posted sometime ago on not606 by a reliable forum member:-

"He's heading back to Ennetbaden and selling his home in Southampton.

His boys were withdrawn from school on Friday, apparently.

Back to Switzerland for the Cortese family... who can blame them!

I don't think we'll see him appear in British football, maybe not even on the continent".

I can confirm this is true. I work with someone who goes to the school.

I can confirm this is true. I work with someone who goes to the school.

Blimey Roger, not only do you work with loads of Arsenal fans but you also work with someone who goes to the school that his (Cortese's) kids went to. Remarkable how diverse your working environment is - is this kid who works with you on early work experience?

Edited by kpturner

I think there is merit in this theory. What is more important to Saints finishing as high as possible in the Premier league or winning the FA cup.

I believe top 8 was the brief and MoPo will receive a large Bonus for this achievement.

So what happened yesterday? Well MoPo wants the best team available against West Ham that is more important.

Alot of players were suffering from fatigue, I think including Lallana and Rickie. MoPo wanted to freshen up the team, but the team under performed.

I think his plan backfired or it confirmed that our squad needs significant strenghening to play in Europe and the League next season.

So if true his reasons were for personal gain rather then club or fan gain.

Doubt its true but if it is then **** him. There are far more important things than money.

They are all doing it for personal gain. Don't pretend they are not

Not one of the players are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts and on the cheap

Fair play to MP if this story is true. Maybe he wants to stay and I guess at any point, someone at the club could have had a word or even lowered the final league placing etc

As good as winning the JPT was who would have been disappointed had pardew sacrificed the cups & gone all out for a wembley win in the play offs?

Which squad players from yesterday aren't good enough for prem

KD - not worst keeper in world

Clyne - everyone saying could go to World Cup

Yoshida - 3rd best cb at club

Jos. - not great but not sure Fonte was fit after seeing cuts from tue

Shaw - real chance of playing in World Cup

Wanyama - quality dm

JWP - been part of every squad & played in all but a couple

SD - been playing really well

Guly - not greatest would have preferred Jay Rod

Lallana - best player at club

Rickie - legend

That team should have come away with at least a draw, MOPO has said he is not keen on the Europa League so it makes wonder what if anything has been said behind closed doors. The wife and I went down the local for lunch and there was a group who went up to the game in there and they were well ****ed off.

Edited by Toomer

So, according to a friend of mine (he is a good friend of someone high up in the club) there is a good reason for Pochettino to concentrate on the league. He has an automatic clause in his contract that increases his pay and extends his contract if he finishes above 8th position. Makes sense as to the way he has sacrificed the cups, not that I agree with it at all as a fan.

I rung up my pal, lets call him Clint, and asked him the question IF this was a viable target. He says NO. You would put in bonus clauses in stages, but not a position but an event. So European football, yes. Not being relegated, yes. Above 8th, highly unlikely. Just based on the fact that this is too arbritary a fiugure and no contracts solicitor in his right minbd would let a client sign up to that.

No sucess in the FA cup, oh yes you could.

And he finally signed of with, he hasn't seen that anywhere.ever. In any shape or form. But there are production bonus' in there somewhere.

He believes

In his own opinion.

Supposedly.

It's certainly not off Twitter. Pochettino wanted to do well in the cups, just not with his 'first' team as such. Either way we should have beaten them with the team put out.

Not being a Happy Clapper I agree with that. Full whole "Project" is about getting better every week & every Season, to do that you need targets.

What the post match hysteria has missed is that JWP SHOULD have scored but scuffed an attempted side footer in the first half, Lallana SHOULD have scored but missed the target from close range and THEN SRL became the butt of Pizza delivery ad jokes by missing from close in. The team which MP put out was NOT our best but REALLY should have beaten them.

Anyone who has been a follower of football and of course Saints would understand results can go against you as it did yesterday.

Personally I fully understand the clamour to have played our best 11 & treated it as a PL game, I also have a feeling deep down that even IF we had, our name wasn't on the Cup anyway so it would not have mattered. Let's face it, we were beaten by the kind of fluke strike that only Gaston Ramirez could score, BUT which seems to happen against us too often.

SRL is as liable to refund the MAGNIFICENT away support as the club is for that miss.

That team should have come away with at least a draw, MOPO has said he is not keen on the Europa League so it makes wonder what if anything has been said behind closed doors. The wife and I went down the local for lunch and there was a group who went up to the game in there and they were well ****ed off.

So far this season Swansea have played 10 extra games due to the Europa League.

Our 1st team is NOT up to that. Sign players scream the crowd. But the WHOLE point is that we have great KIDS coming through. In 2015/16 the current U21 side MAY be ready for the Europa League, but right now we are not.

So to claim a Cup win COULD mean the likes of Read Rowe McQueen Stephens Targett Isgrove get EITHER burnt out as we lose meaningless early group games in Eastern Europe OR get pushed back by "Glamour Squad fillers".

Sorry I lived through the "Squad fillers" era. I NEVER want to see that type of mehballer in our team again (ie thanks & goodbye Jos & Guly & Kelvin & Gazza)

Dubai Saints talked about it Saturday - God we would have LOVED a trip for 10 0r 20 of us to Wembley in May. Holy Krap WHAT a flight THAT would have been. But as Swansea have found, IF we had made it to the Final, we were NOT ready for what came next no matter what Katerina spent in the summer.

I'm angry & p1ssed off at the performance, but IF I was MP, (& I hate myself for this) I would have picked the SAME team to start that he did

So far this season Swansea have played 10 extra games due to the Europa League.

Our 1st team is NOT up to that. Sign players scream the crowd. But the WHOLE point is that we have great KIDS coming through. In 2015/16 the current U21 side MAY be ready for the Europa League, but right now we are not.

So to claim a Cup win COULD mean the likes of Read Rowe McQueen Stephens Targett Isgrove get EITHER burnt out as we lose meaningless early group games in Eastern Europe OR get pushed back by "Glamour Squad fillers".

Sorry I lived through the "Squad fillers" era. I NEVER want to see that type of mehballer in our team again (ie thanks & goodbye Jos & Guly & Kelvin & Gazza)

Dubai Saints talked about it Saturday - God we would have LOVED a trip for 10 0r 20 of us to Wembley in May. Holy Krap WHAT a flight THAT would have been. But as Swansea have found, IF we had made it to the Final, we were NOT ready for what came next no matter what Katerina spent in the summer.

I'm angry & p1ssed off at the performance, but IF I was MP, (& I hate myself for this) I would have picked the SAME team to start that he did

Dream on phillip, dream on. The very problem seems to be that players like Stephens and Isgrove aren't good enough to step up into the First XI for Cup games, not even a home jaunt against Yeovil which should easily be within their capabilities if they're ever going to make anything of themselves. If these lads (some of them are 20+) are ever going to be capable of PL nay European football they should be pushing garbage like Jos and Guly out of the side altogether but they aren't. We've taken everything viable out of the youth squad already, the rest aren't up to scratch that's all. We should be looking for bargains like the CB that Sunderland had yesterday, 24 or so, about 6ft 6 and an Argentinian international, he's playing already Stephens and Turnbull are just eternal white hopes. They'll be let go soon, as many have been before them.

A couple of good pragmatic and rational posts there Phil. Batten down the hatches for the inevitable rebukes though :)

Mate, we talked through all angles on Saturday. Gutted tbh.

On the plus side for the Hull game we had a new dubaisaints member just landed here & Saturday we had a transit passenger & one of the regulars Dad in town.

The whole sorry mess got forgotten as me & Dad discussed Dougal, the Soul Cellar, Marseilles & Anderlecht away.............

We NEED to be in the Europa League with the two Sam's & JRod leading the line.

Just gonna have to wait until season after next. And being farking Selfish, Wembley this year would cost me at least US$4,000 which I cannot afford. Next year? #gamechanged

Dream on phillip, dream on. The very problem seems to be that players like Stephens and Isgrove aren't good enough to step up into the First XI for Cup games, not even a home jaunt against Yeovil which should easily be within their capabilities if they're ever going to make anything of themselves. If these lads (some of them are 20+) are ever going to be capable of PL nay European football they should be pushing garbage like Jos and Guly out of the side altogether but they aren't. We've taken everything viable out of the youth squad already, the rest aren't up nto scratch that's all.

Yes agree 100%....

THIS year.

Who knows NEXT year.

For those with memories, AL was AWFUL in his first few games. Maybe the lads you mention will NOT make the grade. maybe (Like Matt Targett) they will need longer. Maybe we have cleaned out that U-9 team's talent that was on Twitter. Matt Oakley was awful until he was 211

But what about the next batch of U9's?

Some make it early some mature later.

Is it really a surprise the MP has a bonus linked to our league position? The club stand to earn millions from each place gained.

There probably is a trophy bonus too in all likelihood, but I would hazard a guess that by the time the bonuses are paid the club make very little from it.

In terms of MP's personal CV surely a trophy of any description adds weight, so why would he intentionally risk it my intentionally fielding a weakened side?

We had the better chances in that game, and the players chosen created them, and then fluffed them. Sh1t happens.

That's not to say I don't feel sorry for the fans who made the trip and had to endure that.

So, according to a friend of mine (he is a good friend of someone high up in the club) there is a good reason for Pochettino to concentrate on the league. He has an automatic clause in his contract that increases his pay and extends his contract if he finishes above 8th position. Makes sense as to the way he has sacrificed the cups, not that I agree with it at all as a fan.

Started as a rumour on facebook. The end.

What is even more laughable, is that people think our squad needs more than 1 week of rest to be match fit for the next game. Because what you are saying, is that with 1 weeks rest, our players would be unfit for the next match... :mcinnes:

It really was a strange game. Their goal was a great strike, but other than a few desperate moments at the end when we were PUSHING FOR AN EQUALISER, we really weren't threatened at the back. JWP and Rick should both have scored. Kelvin came up for a corner. The team should have been good enough to win, but pretty much every player either had a poor game or was made to look poor by their team mates. IF we weren't trying to win the game then surely we would have rested Lallana for the whole game? Same with Shaw. We really couldn't afford any injuries to key players.

I can't believe Lambert, at 32, would give up probably the best opportunity he is ever going to get for a Cup Final (let's be honest, if he flukes it on to the plane to Brazil - which I would love! - the chances of England getting to the Final AND him being in the team are only slightly better than our chances of winning the FA Cup THIS season...).

Maybe - just maybe - the Hull game, shortly after playing the Stoke game, took more out of the players than people thought?

I was truly gutted after the game. I went straight to bed after the game (just after midnight here) and took ages to get to sleep as I was FUMING after that display.... but 2 days later, I'm over it. I bet some of the players are still gutted.

Let's hope we can get back on track in the League. I'm hopefully optimistic that 6th is still in our sights. I'd take that in a heartbeat. Especially with bragging rights over my Man Utd supporting friends out here in Oz for at least a season, after victory in our final game :)

COYR!!!

#happyclapperforever

Who knows. It wouldn't surprise me if our performance related pay was very heavily weighted towards league performance, it has been the over-whelming culture of the club for the last 4 years or so.

and rightly so. The league is where it id at at the moment, the Cup is out of favour and would not bring us the same prestige.

If MP wasn't botherd about winning the game, why did he bring Morgan and JRod on?

The simple truth is that a lot of foregin managers and players dont give a shiny shiete about the cup, the FA cup is now viewed exactly the same as the overseas ones. Its all well and good banging on about it, but 17k people told its own story, as did our gates in previous rounds. Last year I went to the Chelsea game and there were no regular st holders anywhere near me. People dont care about it, until we go out, then all of a sudden its a big deal. I feel sorry for the guys who went up there, but they shouldn't have been surprised by the side (although the performance must have shocked them).At the end if the day MP didn't want us to lose, but would rather lose that game than ANY league game. Forget all this pony about it enhancing his repuation abroad by winning the cup, its nonsense. Finishing above Man Utd and Newcastle will get him more credit abroad than a cup win.

Until a champions league place is on offer, the cup will never regain its appeal . And unless we have a manager like Adkins or a similar "dreamer" the league will always take priority. End of.

I was at the game yesterday, was not particularly disappointed by the side (though I would have preferred Jose to Jos) but like everyone really disappointed by the performance. However as some others have pointed out we still did enough to get a replay and we were definitely trying. I was very upset to go out of the cup yesterday but just as upset today reading the utter c*** posted on here by the bedwetters and the wums and by the lazy comments by ex pros and no mark ITV voice over commentators about how our 6 changes meant we were 'disrespecting' the FA Cup whereas Sunderland (having had no game midweek) were not by making their 9!

I agree we have blown our best chance for ages for a great cup run but I really think that the main reason is the impact of our midweek trip to Hull (and Rickie's glaring miss)

I was at the game yesterday, was not particularly disappointed by the side (though I would have preferred Jose to Jos) but like everyone really disappointed by the performance. However as some others have pointed out we still did enough to get a replay and we were definitely trying. I was very upset to go out of the cup yesterday but just as upset today reading the utter c*** posted on here by the bedwetters and the wums and by the lazy comments by ex pros and no mark ITV voice over commentators about how our 6 changes meant we were 'disrespecting' the FA Cup whereas Sunderland (having had no game midweek) were not by making their 9!

I agree we have blown our best chance for ages for a great cup run but I really think that the main reason is the impact of our midweek trip to Hull (and Rickie's glaring miss)

Its the opportunity not fully taken, a slack effort in the approach and the actual event itself and Eric with the greatest of respect all pros agree on this so I would listen to them more than yourself, no offence intended.

Until a champions league place is on offer, the cup will never regain its appeal .

Agreed, but will never happen.

Alternatively up the prize money massively and stop forcing the winners to play in the Mickey Mouse pseudo Champions League the next season.

Or, maybe could happen if they scrap Europa, which I think is happening, and enlarge CL

Easy for Dubai phil to dismiss a trip to Wembley..... As he wouldnt go anyway
i think you will find has done more than his fair share of travelling to games over the years. He was going to away games when it was not the cushy number it is now. I must admit it must be dangerous behind your keyboard on a saturday

Perez has done the build up to all the FA Cup matches, and the League cup ones I think, nothing different this week

Exactly, Perez has had responsibilty for Cup games since MP arrived. It was his call and ..guess what, he might have been telling the truth..some players needed rest and /or were carrying injuries.

What it did show was that our bench doesn't give us the strength in depth that other sides have. Our problem is not the " first team regulars" , but their replacements who aren't upto the same standard.

Chelsea, Arsenal and Man.City don't have a " regular side "as such, but have the ability to keep internationals on the bench, and change players without affecting the balance of the team.

Edited by david in sweden

If we beat Wham you will be OK, especially if Utd lose !!!

I wont be happy - I don’t care about Man United and finishing above them when they've been horrendous (by there standards) is not something I would celebrate.

I (as many others did) expected top a 7-10th finish based purely on the squad we have. I have said since the summer that FA cup final + 8th would be excellent. Finishing 7th and no cup run is just meh

I wont be happy - I don’t care about Man United and finishing above them when they've been horrendous (by there standards) is not something I would celebrate.

I (as many others did) expected top a 7-10th finish based purely on the squad we have. I have said since the summer that FA cup final + 8th would be excellent. Finishing 7th and no cup run is just meh

I thought you only made 4 posts per day? Can't you stfu now for the rest of today?

Anyone feeling better about mopo's decision 2 days on?

Im not

I have no problems with MoPo's decisions, even on the day I didn't, the team that went out should have done the job over the team Sunderland sent out.

What really, really pisses me off still (apart from the histrionics) is the way the team didn't seem to know each other and the way they played like a bunch of Sunday park footballers!