Average speed check cameras

Sheaf Saint

I do a lot of motorway driving for my job, and at the moment it seems that the Highways Agency are trying to set a world record for the amount of miles of motorway they can cone off for roadworks - it's not even funny. Anyway, every time there is roadworks on a motorway these days they put up these average speed check cameras to enforce a 50mph limit, which the vast majority of people observe. However, I do see a lot of people (usually driving Audis or BMWs I must add) blatantly ignoring the 50mph limit and hooning along through the roadworks.

Are these people too thick to grasp the concept of 'average' speed, or do they perhaps know something I don't? Has anybody on here every been caught out by these cameras?

I always thought they didn't work but a friend of mine got done recently doing 60 odd in a 50 on an empty road at 3am. Best to just observe it. Unless you can get next to a massive lorry when going through the camera.

I hear if you change lanes you don't get caught. Not sure if that's true or not though.

I hope all the ones with signs saying "camera not in use" underneath were turned on just for today.

I've never been caught on average speed cameras but did get done on a static one in motorway roadworks coming back from a terrible Saints performance at Blackburn in 2005.

I got caught doing 54mph in a 40 average speed check. Apparently (according to local press) anything below 46mph they don't bother with and 46-53mph is speed awareness course. No idea if thats national or not.

This is something that annoyed me recently. My neighbour's daughter got done for 35 in a 30, and showed me the ticket she received in the post. She and her friend had been sharing the driving up to the Midlands, and they genuinely couldn't remember which of them was driving through the village they got radared in.

I suggested she reply asking for photo evidence in order to send the correct licence for endorsement. She pointed out that were she to do so, the penalty rises from £85, a driver awareness course, and no licence endorsement, to £100+ and 3 points on your licence. Just for asking the question.

They ended up flipping a coin for the awareness course, and splitting the fine between them. So nobody knows whether or not the right driver got "educated", as the police have effectively blackmailed them into admitting an offence there is only a 50% chance of them having actually committed.

Am I alone in finding this appalling?

This is something that annoyed me recently. My neighbour's daughter got done for 35 in a 30, and showed me the ticket she received in the post. She and her friend had been sharing the driving up to the Midlands, and they genuinely couldn't remember which of them was driving through the village they got radared in.

I suggested she reply asking for photo evidence in order to send the correct licence for endorsement. She pointed out that were she to do so, the penalty rises from £85, a driver awareness course, and no licence endorsement, to £100+ and 3 points on your licence. Just for asking the question.

They ended up flipping a coin for the awareness course, and splitting the fine between them. So nobody knows whether or not the right driver got "educated", as the police have effectively blackmailed them into admitting an offence there is only a 50% chance of them having actually committed.

Am I alone in finding this appalling?

You can always got to the Cop Shop and ask to see the evidence. When I went to Winchester I got the comment "We don't often get whingers in here" which really ****ed me off. What about a fair hearing?