Food/drink prepayment points

The9

Don't know if its been mentioned on here yet - did anyone else spot these bright orange things on Saturday? I saw some new technology in the Northam.

Looks like we're going to be able to upload food/drink choices from an app to a scanning point and then collect from (at least in the Northam) a specific collection point (nearest till to the exit behind block 41).

I assume this means online payment, reducing the amount of time spent faffing about with cash, but it also might mean online PRE-payment and needing to charge up your account with some credit - and it's definitely going to mean queueing twice, once to beep the order at the scanner (which is on the outside of the toilet wall in the Northam), and another queue to actually collect your stuff.

Though at first I'd be surprised if many people took up the option, so I would think the queues are short, they're going to be massively underprepared if people start hopping onto 4G to download the app and piling out of the beer queue onto the pre-order queue at half-times....

...so, good idea or bad?

Not fussed either way. I go to SMS to watch footie and very rarely buy food/drink inside the ground (not least because it isn't very good and is expensive). But I guess that I also don't bother as the queues are too big (and I enjoy the half time race) so if these could be lessened by prepayment points, then I might be tempted to get a cuppa.

Having quickly checked the google Play store, I've downloaded the Qjacker app to see what's on the list - at the moment they're only listing

Qjacker Arena (?!?!?), Croke Park, Ricoh Arena, LG Arena, Old Trafford, Etihad Stadium, NEC, and Harlequins.

So nothing for St Mary's... yet.

Having quickly checked the google Play store, I've downloaded the Qjacker app to see what's on the list - at the moment they're only listing

Qjacker Arena (?!?!?), Croke Park, Ricoh Arena, LG Arena, Old Trafford, Etihad Stadium, NEC, and Harlequins.

theres quite a few "coming soon" stadia... admittedly, we're not one of them...

Does the qjacker thing mean that we will be able to get the internet inside the ground? If not, how else do you order as I am sure that you aren't supposed to do it pre-match - or are you?

I had 4G on Saturday, thanks to the ground being half empty and Vodafone only having stretched themselves to cover the area in the past fortnight.

The existence of the "scan point" near the entrance implies that you might be expected to pre-order away from the ground; someone told me that a receipt is printed from the "Scan Point" and you take it to the collection point. This somewhat undermines the portability benefits of app-based technology, but might be a useful safeguard against fraud, so I have no doubt that's the way we'd choose to do it. :D

Edited by The9

4G - what's that? I'm still waiting for 3G to arrive with me. And pre-ordering food/drink away from the ground - what a completely ridiculous idea.

Depends how long you want to wait I would imagine... I've registered on the off-chance, but I haven't bought myself any food or drink at any non-evening match for years nevertheless.

4G - what's that? I'm still waiting for 3G to arrive with me. And pre-ordering food/drink away from the ground - what a completely ridiculous idea.

IF you like to eat or drink at the ground, and IF it works well, then it's clearly not a ridiculous idea... it's one that saves a lot of time.

I won't use it (on the few occasions I get to St Mary's), but I can see the merit of it, IF it works.

IF you like to eat or drink at the ground, and IF it works well, then it's clearly not a ridiculous idea... it's one that saves a lot of time.

I won't use it (on the few occasions I get to St Mary's), but I can see the merit of it, IF it works.

It is ridiculous to have to order before you get to the ground. I am sure that some know that they will feel hungry at 3.45pm but surely it should work on a spur of the moment thing.

It is ridiculous to have to order before you get to the ground. I am sure that some know that they will feel hungry at 3.45pm but surely it should work on a spur of the moment thing.

You simply said that the idea of ordering away from the ground was ridiculous... nothing about HAVING to. If that were the case then yes, I would agree that it would be silly if that were a requirement, but I would amazed if that were the case... I'm the majority of users would do either as they were arriving, or during the first half.

No-one says you have to. As long as you order before you scan the order... of course the practicalities of sharing a mobile connection with up to 32000 others might make it a sensible move to do it before you arrive (though as I said, I got 4G in the ground on Saturday, and though it wasn't full there were enough people there that it was probably comparable to a full ground as a stress test).

I've edited my original post which might have been misconstrued to read that the something on the Scan Point suggested you order away from the ground. What I meant was that as the scan point is near the entrance, you could order outside and scan as soon as you arrive if you had a problem with your internet connection at the ground (which I did for 3G but haven't so far for 4G). As far as I'm aware, there's no instructions on the scan point - and as there's no St Mary's on the app list and no-one reporting a similar thing elsewhere in the ground it could be a while off yet.

Edited by The9

If I can sit in my seat and use the app to order and pay for drinks for myself/mates then great. Otherwise, meh.

Its a great idea, IMO. If you know you're going to go for a beer or 2 at half time, what is wrong with pre-ordering before the game.

These. By the time I usually get my beer they're out the tunnel and the 2nd half is starting.

You simply said that the idea of ordering away from the ground was ridiculous... nothing about HAVING to. If that were the case then yes, I would agree that it would be silly if that were a requirement, but I would amazed if that were the case... I'm the majority of users would do either as they were arriving, or during the first half.

I was replying to what The9 said in the previous post, #11, "The "scan point" suggests that you pre-order away from the ground, someone told me that a receipt is printed from the "Scan Point" and you take it to the collection point. This somewhat undermines the portability benefits of app-based technology, but might be a useful safeguard against fraud, so I have no doubt that's the way we'd choose to do it"....so, I think we'll just have to wait and see.

Didn't take long for crotchety old f\/ckers to ridicule the idea did it? Some people want a drink and a burger, some don't. Neither is right or wrong.

FWIW, I think it seems a good idea, a lot of people will know they want a particular thing at half time and can pre-order. If there's a way to save time and help people get back to enjoying the football, then surely it's a good thing. I would presume there is the option to scan the order confirmation from your mobile at the collection point and bypass the need for a scan point (maybe the scan point is for non-smart phones so you can print the order if you forget to bring it with you? - I'm guessing though).

I was replying to what The9 said in the previous post, #11, "The "scan point" suggests that you pre-order away from the ground, someone told me that a receipt is printed from the "Scan Point" and you take it to the collection point. This somewhat undermines the portability benefits of app-based technology, but might be a useful safeguard against fraud, so I have no doubt that's the way we'd choose to do it"....so, I think we'll just have to wait and see.

You'll note that I've edited that now because I can see how it could be misconstrued. And well done getting the original quote before I changed it. ;)

I know that at half time I will want a couple of bottles of lager/cider. If it means I can leave once play stops (rather than on 42 mins to avoid the queues) then it's a good idea. But will it work in reality? Worth a go. In other news the Contactless card payment queues are welcome. Nice to not have to think about withdrawing cash before a game.

Didn't take long for crotchety old f\/ckers to ridicule the idea did it? Some people want a drink and a burger, some don't. Neither is right or wrong.

FWIW, I think it seems a good idea, a lot of people will know they want a particular thing at half time and can pre-order. If there's a way to save time and help people get back to enjoying the football, then surely it's a good thing. I would presume there is the option to scan the order confirmation from your mobile at the collection point and bypass the need for a scan point (maybe the scan point is for non-smart phones so you can print the order if you forget to bring it with you? - I'm guessing though).

I *think* the way it'll work is that you'll order on the app and the scan point is to scan the barcode/QR code your order creates in order to give you an on-site receipt to hand to the staff. Asking them to scan it and then serve the order would probably slow things down too much, so the onus is on you to get the confirmation receipt to hand to the server.

I've only got a mate's comments to go on re: the "receipt" though.

Does beg the question about whether you get charged at point of order or point of confirmation though...

From the qjacker website:

Step 1 - Register

Register your details with Qjacker. Don't worry, these details are stored securely and will only be shared with the venues that you purchase from.

Step 2 - Choose your venue and event

Choose the venue you are visiting and the event you are attending so that we can show you what is available to pre-order.

Step 3 - Pre-order & pay

Browse the menu of available refreshments and pick the ones you want to order. When you have finished, make your payment securely online.

Step 4 - Confirmation

After you have paid, we'll send you an order confirmation email. Make sure you bring this with you to the event so that we know who you are!

Alternatively, if you have a smartphone, you can download a Passbook Pass onto your device and save a tree!

Step 5 - Collect

Collect your refreshments from the dedicated Qjacker lane easily identifiable at the venue, close to your seat and enjoy more of the action.

Which would suggest not needing any paper to be printed etc, given the 'save a tree' comment...?

I *think* the way it'll work is that you'll order on the app and the scan point is to scan the barcode/QR code your order creates in order to give you an on-site receipt to hand to the staff. Asking them to scan it and then serve the order would probably slow things down too much, so the onus is on you to get the confirmation receipt to hand to the server.

I've only got a mate's comments to go on re: the "receipt" though.

Does beg the question about whether you get charged at point of order or point of confirmation though...

I don't know if your mate was involved with the thing so not sure if it's a "mate down the pub" or an informed viewpoint (genuinely not aware, I'm not being sarcastic).

The Qjacker website does state that you can use a "passbook" and scan direct from your phone at collection, you also pay in advance (when the order is placed). Not a direct equivalent I know, but I've not had a paper boarding pass in ages, I just scan my phone.

Obviously, nothing is confirmed, but I can't see any technical or logistical reason to not permit the passbook function at the collection point.

Well it is tacit acknowledgement that the queues at ½ time are too long.

I don't think that's ever been in any doubt, tbf :lol:

I'm pleased they're looking into some sort of solution like this, although I personally would have gone down the route Fulham started using last season where you can add credit to your season ticket card and there's a separate "VIP" queue for those using those cards rather than cash, but still giving people the option of using cash. I wouldn't be in favour of the Bundesliga option where you have to buy a separate card for food/drink purchases, which is a massive pain in the arse for people who are only there for one game.

It seems only an Android app is available at present.

On the app page on Google it clearly says: "Guests can order their refreshments in advance of the event, or (providing internet access is available) during the event they are attending." - could be interesting depending on the network you're on... I always struggle to get connection during a game.

I picked up the leaflet about this in the Itchen stand at the weekend. Seems like a good idea but as has previously been mentioned, you can't (yet) select St Marys as a venue. Anyway, I guess the idea is that you can order on your phone either from your seat, outside or anywhere else you like and then grab your receipt and then just collect your goodies from the bar. They'll still have to go and get your food, pour your beer etc but it should save time as you avoid waiting for them to stop staring at the till trying to figure out what change to give from a fiver for a pint. I would imagine that you pay when you order otherwise peoples will be ordering **** loads just in case and then not collecting it.

From the qjacker website:

Which would suggest not needing any paper to be printed etc, given the 'save a tree' comment...?

Maybe the Scan Point is for people wanting to actually order there and then? No mention of the Scan Point in their Stepped Instructions there implies that there might be an additional step for us between 4 and 5.

I don't know if your mate was involved with the thing so not sure if it's a "mate down the pub" or an informed viewpoint (genuinely not aware, I'm not being sarcastic).

The Qjacker website does state that you can use a "passbook" and scan direct from your phone at collection, you also pay in advance (when the order is placed). Not a direct equivalent I know, but I've not had a paper boarding pass in ages, I just scan my phone.

Obviously, nothing is confirmed, but I can't see any technical or logistical reason to not permit the passbook function at the collection point.

She wasn't, and I don't know where she got the info from...

Still have the question that our scan point is not at the same place as our collection point though...

I picked up the leaflet about this in the Itchen stand at the weekend. Seems like a good idea but as has previously been mentioned, you can't (yet) select St Marys as a venue. Anyway, I guess the idea is that you can order on your phone either from your seat, outside or anywhere else you like and then grab your receipt and then just collect your goodies from the bar. They'll still have to go and get your food, pour your beer etc but it should save time as you avoid waiting for them to stop staring at the till trying to figure out what change to give from a fiver for a pint. I would imagine that you pay when you order otherwise peoples will be ordering **** loads just in case and then not collecting it.

So does the leaflet (didn't see any in Northam) say that bit about "grab your receipt"? That would then be in line with the "Step 4½" approach, you can have the PassBook but still need to Scan at the ground to get the paper receipt (as opposed to the "bring your own email on paper" option).

So does the leaflet (didn't see any in Northam) say that bit about "grab your receipt"? That would then be in line with the "Step 4½" approach, you can have the PassBook but still need to Scan at the ground to get the paper receipt (as opposed to the "bring your own email on paper" option).

Dunno. I'll have a look when I get home and let you know.

The fact that you are ordering in advance of going to the bar, is that they SHOULD be able to pre-select/pour your food/drink order so SHOULD reduce wait time there, too.That is how I see it, and how I'd manage it, anyway.

The fact that you are ordering in advance of going to the bar, is that they SHOULD be able to pre-select/pour your food/drink order so SHOULD reduce wait time there, too.That is how I see it, and how I'd manage it, anyway.

But how do they know when you're going to be there to collect it? Maybe you select a time slot and collection point too?

But how do they know when you're going to be there to collect it? Maybe you select a time slot and collection point too?

They will be able to use predictive analytics to 'guess' when you want your order.

That, anx a lot of the stuff they sell has long shelf life

I'm assuming the Scan Point also flags up that you've confirmed an order and will be collecting v. soon, but who knows, have you seen our match ticketing system?

MoanU use qJacker and it looks like it's on trial there...

http://www.manutd.com/~/media/General/Venue/Tickets/2014/Feb/Q_Jacker_terms

“Qualifying Order” an order for Products for collection from the Dedicated

Kiosk on the date of a Match either (i) online at http://www.qjacker.com; or (ii) via the ‘Qjacker’ smartphone app

available for download in accordance with the Qjacker

“Scan Point” means the scanner set up in the Trial Area enabled for

scanning a proof of purchase for a Qualifying Order;

Qualifying

5. A Qualifying Individual shall be entitled to receive the Discount on the first two

Qualifying Orders that are completed and paid for in accordance with the Qjacker

Conditions.

6. A Qualifying Individual who has completed and paid for a Qualifying Order will be

required to attend the Scan Point located in the Trial Area and scan their proof of

purchase (made available in accordance with the Qjacker Conditions) prior to

collecting any Consumable Products pursuant to the relevant Qualifying Order from

the Dedicated Kiosk.

theres quite a few "coming soon" stadia... admittedly, we're not one of them...

Liverpool have signed ours.

not sure bout this, the 10 minutes standing in line is the only exercise some of these fatbellies get. Maybe install treadmills at the collection point? Just spit-balling here but i dare say it's something the club is looking into, we could cram a lot more people into St.Mary's if we weren't for all the fatbellies.

For the record, i am bare ripped bear.

I got a flyer with my West Brom tickets too. Seems like a potentially good idea to me - I do like to try to stuff a bottle or two of rubbish lager down my neck at half time and miss the first 5 minutes of the second half (despite saying I won't every time), so I think this could work, to ensure I've drunk and back to my seat on time ;)

From a club perspective, the data they could build up from us on this would be useful to them, too.