Toby Alderweireld Signs on Season Loan - Official

Aziz Yebda

Toby A had a decent debut against poor opposition but looks to have something about him

Only concern for me at the moment is that we have 4 predominantly right footed central defenders but then again Jos (good win in new colours at Cardiff yesterday) and Danny Seabourn were left footers but not up to the rigours of the Prem so perhaps I am being unduly picky.

Clear yesterday that while he is clearly right footed he was also confident on his left foot, don't think there is any worry there. Maya is also confident with his left foot.

There's a chance to buy, but I'm sure if he has a storming season here then he's going to get some fairly bigger suitors than us! Enjoy him whilst he's here.

so based on the information we have, in short, we have a contractual option to buy which we can exercise as long as atletico don't want him back or a bigger club doesn't want him or the player doesn't want to sign for us.

so based on the information we have, in short, we have a contractual option to buy which we can exercise as long as atletico don't want him back or a bigger club doesn't want him or the player doesn't want to sign for us.

Bummer eh? Wish he'd signed a 4 year contract like Lovren.

just realised i got a bit lost mid sentence and it should have been "the player wants to sign for us"

i'm mocking the concept of an option to buy that by aggregation of reports amounts to the same option as every club has to buy any player, rather than mocking the concept of loans with a view to buying. rudi skacel to hearts was the model for that kind of deal.

we wouldn't want another £20m kick in the teeth though. that was hard to take.

just realised i got a bit lost mid sentence and it should have been "the player wants to sign for us"

i'm mocking the concept of an option to buy that by aggregation of reports amounts to the same option as every club has to buy any player, rather than mocking the concept of loans with a view to buying. rudi skacel to hearts was the model for that kind of deal.

we wouldn't want another £20m kick in the teeth though. that was hard to take.

As a general rule I don't like loan deals. I know transfers can go wrong (e.g. Osvaldo) and you are saddled with the player and the financial commitment, but really with proper planning a club shouldn't need to loan players. Absolute best case scenario is the loan player does really well AND wants to stay, but given both our loan players are owned by far bigger and better clubs I would suggest that isn't likely for us. So the next best scenario is that they do really well and leave at the end of the season. We're then left with a couple of holes to fill and nothing earned from those who departed to spend.

However I can understand why Saints made some loans given the amount of change this summer, but I wouldn't like to think it'll be a regular part of our transfer strategy. There is no long term future in it for a club like us.

If the season goes well, I could see Bertrand staying. After playing a full season of consistent first-team football in a good team, the possibility of going back to the Chelsea bench can't look too inviting. Alderweireld on the other hand I can't see staying. He's only had one season at Atletico and has more reason to be optimistic about his future there.

Well lots hope it stays that way for a couple more Matches think Pelle, Long and Tadic could have some fun against that rubbish

they look woeful since coming up. Then again, they did scrape up

Burnley will do better than them and leicester look pretty decent