Toby Alderweireld Signs on Season Loan - Official

Aziz Yebda

Says the right things, but seems like he's been brought up the right way. Obviously has huge respect for Koeman and has clearly been told (IMO) that he will be first choice alongside Fonte.

Will be huge for us.

Gardos isn't half bad either! So we're a hell of a lot stronger depth wise at CB than we were last year, and about £14m better off. Huge credit to the club.

Says the right things, but seems like he's been brought up the right way. Obviously has huge respect for Koeman and has clearly been told (IMO) that he will be first choice alongside Fonte.

Will be huge for us.

Gardos isn't half bad either! So we're a hell of a lot stronger depth wise at CB than we were last year, and about £14m better off. Huge credit to the club.

Contrasts with another thread where it was noted that he's a RCB/RB, as Fonte is also right sided. Hopefully Gardos is not quite fit, as opposed to Forren-fodder.

Well finally done. Was really disappointed to see us let chambers go so cheap and so early, so he's got a very high bar to reach in terms of standard. Wonder where he's going to be playing as having him on bench rather than Stephens would be rather strange.

I'm pretty sure he's already better than Chambers was for us last season. The interesting thing is whether he and Fonte can play at CB together.

Will be huge for us.

Does anyone think that with 4 decent CBs Koeman might sometimes go for the 3-5-2 he used at Feyenoord? I think we now have the players to do it well (better than Man U, at least)...

-----------------------Forster--------------------

------Alderweireld----Fonte----Gardos---------

---Clyne---Schneiderlin---JWP---Bertrand-----

--------------------Tadic-------------------------

------------Mane------------Pelle----------------

Boruc (if he stays?), Yoshida, Targett, Cork, Wanyama, Davis, Long

A decent looking subs bench too (would look better with Ramirez, granted). Obviously Wanyama, Cork and Davis would all be challenging JWP for his place. And Long challenging Mane and Pelle up front.

I'm not sure I'm super keen on it as it seems a waste not to be able to fit one extra of Wanyama, Cork or Davis in the team. But wouldn't be surprised if Koeman tried to introduce something like this for the odd game at least.

Edited by syd_barrett_saint

Does anyone think that with 4 decent CBs Koeman might sometimes go for the 3-5-2 he used at Feyenoord? I think we now have the players to do it well (better than Man U, at least)...

-----------------------Forster--------------------

------Alderweireld----Fonte----Gardos---------

---Clyne---Schneiderlin---JWP---Bertrand-----

--------------------Tadic-------------------------

------------Mane------------Pelle----------------

Boruc (if he stays?), Yoshida, Targett, Cork, Wanyama, Davis, Long

A decent looking subs bench too (would look better with Ramirez, granted). Obviously Wanyama, Cork and Davis would all be challenging JWP for his place. And Long challenging Mane and Pelle up front.

I'm not sure I'm super keen on it as it seems a waste not to be able to fit one extra of Wanyama, Cork or Davis in the team. But wouldn't be surprised if Koeman tried to introduce something like this for the odd game at least.

That looks absolutely awesome. If Alderweireld and Gardos live up to expectations that could be a high scoring and hard to beat team.

That looks absolutely awesome. If Alderweireld and Gardos live up to expectations that could be a high scoring and hard to beat team.

Agreed actually. I've never considered a 3-4-1-2 as I just feel it leaves you exposed not having 4 at the back - but the idea of such pace at full-back, solidity in the middle, creativity behind a front two that has pace and power does seem exciting on paper at least. You could also swap Wanyama for JWP in games where more solidity was required.

Class signing. I'm loving the loan deals with a view to purchase. Imagine if we'd have done the same with Osvaldo...

Do you really think we'll get a chance to sign them next year if they're any good?....Nope, they'll be out of here and off to Liverpool quicker than you can say 'Taider' and we won't see a dime for it either.

'Wreck It's' new foundations built on shifting sand.

Do you really think we'll get a chance to sign them next year if they're any good?....Nope, they'll be out of here and off to Liverpool quicker than you can say 'Taider' and we won't see a dime for it either.

That'll be a grand total of two loans, one in a position where we also spent £8m on one player and extended the contract of another key man.

And the other loan is in a position where the club will hope our young back up will flourish over the next twelve months.

Or, if the worst happens and our "foundations" are destroyed we might have to, gosh, try and purchase a left back next summer. I mean, the club is doomed and no mistake.

This could be our best signing since Rickie Lambert. Well done do all at the club who have got their heads down, ignored the hysteria and put together a decent looking side out of the ashes of last season.

Wonder if Robbie Savage still thinks we are relegation material..

Haha! And there's no trolls on this board apparently.

Anyone think saints announced the deals late to add to the drama?

Look at the time on Tobys watch in the pictures. Surely they were taken after he agreed to sign? Unless we were just waiting for it to be confirmed by FA before confirming?

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Anyone think saints announced the deals late to add to the drama?

Look at the time on Tobys watch in the pictures. Surely they were taken after he agreed to sign? Unless we were just waiting for it to be confirmed by FA before confirming?

Koeman did his interview on signing Mané in broad daylight!

At least it's not built on Cortese's castle of paper cups though, I mean that would be a disaster.

Well finally done. Was really disappointed to see us let chambers go so cheap and so early, so he's got a very high bar to reach in terms of standard. Wonder where he's going to be playing as having him on bench rather than Stephens would be rather strange.

The third most expensive Arsenal signing in their entire history. He cost more than twice what Dennis Bergkamp did, and the same amount that Arsenal received from Barcelona for selling Thierry Henry (who also cost them £6m less than Chambers did to buy). Even considering inflation that's still an extraordinary fee for a back up right back.

The third most expensive Arsenal signing in their entire history. He cost more than twice what Dennis Bergkamp did, and the same amount that Arsenal received from Barcelona for selling Thierry Henry (who also cost them £6m less than Chambers did to buy). Even considering inflation that's still an extraordinary fee for a back up right back.

If you consider inflation Henry cost twice what Chambers did. (30 mill or so)

The deals for Shaw & Lallana were agreed before the World Cup. I'm told a deal has also been agreed for the sale of Morgan too. The board are a bunch of liars. They did the deals whilst we were managerless and lied to the fans. I've got a good source for this stuff. A lot of what I've been told will make Saints fans sick. It's certainly made me pretty angry.

My source (a scout) told me of 2 Dutch players he expects to join Saints. I can't remember the names, sorry. Neither were players I'd heard of. When I asked what he thought of them he just said that he'd seem one of them and he'd make an average championship player. He went on to ask if I remembered JVD? He then laughed and said you can expect more signings like that than household names.

I've a horrible feeling that our transfer kitty is about to be spunked up the wall by a man who won't be in charge at the end of the season.

**** me, he was right. Belgian international defender from the Ajax academy.

Er, no. Henry cost Arsenal £10.5m in 1999, using http://www.whatsthecost.com/cpi.aspx for historical inflation rates, "£10,500,000.00 in 1999 is equivalent to £14,258,083.22 in 2014".

That's still £1.8m less than Chambers is believed to have cost.

consumer and retail inflation indexes are no guide to relative values in football over that time.

he was here for the last January window as well. Didn't sign anyone mind you.

Fair point. Should have reworded it to "the only summer transfer window" or "the only transfer window in which he signed anyone". Pretty sure as he was unveiled at the same time as Forren he didn't have much input into the previous one. :D

consumer and retail inflation indexes are no guide to relative values in football over that time.

I'm talking about ACTUAL INFLATION as in the relationship between normal UK-based human beings and the value of money, not some made up football transfer index.

Oh, and whilst I'm here, I think Alderweireld is potentially an excellent signing. Remains to be seen who he replaces in the team, but looks like a very good player and for a very reasonable price*.

*using some arbitrary football inflation index based on everyone having loads of cash, so no-one bothers telling me he cost almost as much as Chris Sutton or something. :)