Toby Alderweireld Signs on Season Loan - Official

Aziz Yebda

@PeteGravesSky: #skysources telling us Toby Alderweireld close to agreeing deal with Southampton. Latest on #SSNHQ #saints #nufc #safc

@skysports_ed: @PeteGravesSky excellent!

@PeteGravesSky: @skysports_ed good player. You've beaten off a whole host of other suitors mate

Got excited. Deadline day tomorrow, so excited I could pop. Alderweireld would be an excellent defensive addition and would calm fans who don't know how good Gardos is yet.

Keep everyone else and add a winger and we're there IMO.

Could still do with getting another striker in my opinion not sure shane long could lead the line in koemans 433 if pelle picked up an injury, long still a strange buy in my opinion dont see how he really can fit in our system

Kristof Terreur, a respected Belgian Journo says:

@HLNinEngland:

D-day. As in decision day for Toby Alderweireld. He'll decide tomorrow if he joins Southampton (or Newcastle.) #saintsfc #nufc

Hopefully it comes down to Koeman or Pardew.

Don't know too much about this fella, but I gather he can play right back too? Exactly the player we need!! Keep Fonte, Yoshida, Gardos AND Clyne on their toes. Much much much more cover at the back now, so much more cover than last season really. Yoshida looks to be stepping up, so we should be less afraid of injuries now. Great business.

Love Jos, as a team member, but I presume he's either happy to be back up to the back up, or he'll be off, sadly?

This seems too good to be true. La Liga winner last year. Good world cup for the belgians. Young. Highly-Rated. Choosing us over others.

Would be a fantastic coup for us!

SIGN HIM

He hardly played for Athletico but yeah it's got me excited. Be a coup and a half!

A permanent signing like Lovren. Oh.

Indeed. Feels like a permanent contract doesnt mean jack-**** now.

I suppose it means we make the profit if the player has an eye-catching season, but on the other hand a loan enables us to dodge bullets like the one we got struck by with Ramirez.

What do you mean?

He means (I presume) that various helmets on here have been slating Saints for selling Chambers who is now playing at Arsenal. Chambers that wanted to go and didn't want to stay. Chambers that Saints got £xxm for. Chambers that was a SECOND choice behind Clyne. Chambers that has looked average at centre back for Arsenal and now isn't first choice. Yeah.

I suppose it means we make the profit if the player has an eye-catching season, but on the other hand a loan enables us to dodge bullets like the one we got struck by with Ramirez.

The main advantage being we can command a fee should the player lose his head elsewhere.

Bullets:

Osvaldo - yes

Forren - yes

Ramirez - no

The main advantage being we can command a fee should the player lose his head elsewhere.

I hope that's an interview question?

Les: Tell me, what are your long term plans?

Player: Champions league, yeah, and, er, yeah, er, more money and sh*t, yeah, er, Liverpool, Arsenal, er, yeah

Les: Okay, thanks, look forward to seeing you play here for a couple of years then

Player: Er, yeah, er, and, um, er, long term, yeah, one year, yeah, next summer

I hope that's an interview question?

Les: Tell me, what are your long term plans?

Player: Champions league, yeah, and, er, yeah, er, more money and sh*t, yeah, er, Liverpool, Arsenal, er, yeah

Les: Okay, thanks, look forward to seeing you play here for a couple of years then

Player: Er, yeah, er, and, um, er, long term, yeah, one year, yeah, next summer

Judging by the Taider situation I think we're skipping the interview process. They just collect £xx and pass go.

Fair play to the club for pulling this one off. Tons of interest, and the fact Koeman said it was unrealistic suggests we've steamed in as soon as the supposed option for him went dead.

Koeman a big factor for sure.

A loan is fine, he improves our squad for a year and improves our chances of having a decent season.

Replaces Yoshida. Cover for Clyne.

CB's - Fonte / Toby / Gardos / Yoshida

Jos to Burnley.

Without setting off too much of a debate again, haven't we (and quite a few other sides) set up to have a "left sided" centre back playing as the left centre back and a "right sided" one focused on the other role typically? Potentially makes a very strong CB set up of 4 good options.