Lambert - his reception and farewell...

Saint86

Lambert, Lallana and Lovren all left.

Nobody forced any of them to leave. At any point, they could have said to Saints; "I don't want to leave, I want to stay at this club."

Not one of them did.

All three of them jumped at the first chance.

From that viewpoint, Lambert's fairytale move in the twilight of his career to his boyhood club is no different to Lovren's head being in Liverpool and Lallana's petulance.

The only difference is that Lambert has been sensible enough to say the right things, and not do stupid things like putting adverts in the Echo to try and placate people..

Lallana really is badly advised by somebody. No doubt the intention behind his Radio Solent interview this week was to try and pour oil on troubled waters, but all it did was rake over the coals (great mixed metaphors there!). He really should keep hjis trap shut.

I appreciate as much as any fan what Lambert did for the club, but I don't get the need for a love-in on his return.

In moving to Liverpool he cut his ties with Saints. That was his choice and having done that, he can't expect to be welcomed back with open arms.

Nobody forced any of them to leave. At any point, they could have said to Saints; "I don't want to leave, I want to stay at this club."

Not one of them did.

From that viewpoint, Lambert's fairytale move in the twilight of his career to his boyhood club is no different to Lovren's head being in Liverpool and Lallana's petulance.

The only difference is that Lambert has been sensible enough to say the right things, and not do stupid things like putting adverts in the Echo to try and placate people..

Lallana really is badly advised by somebody. No doubt the intention behind his Radio Solent interview this week was to try and pour oil on troubled waters, but all it did was rake over the coals (great mixed metaphors there!). He really should keep hjis trap shut.

I appreciate as much as any fan what Lambert did for the club, but I don't get the need for a love-in on his return.

In moving to Liverpool he cut his ties with Saints. That was his choice and having done that, he can't expect to be welcomed back with open arms.

Agreed.

Not one of them did.

Absolutely spot on, Lambert did well but he opened the flood gates. We got him his fame and fortune, he should be thanking us

A lot of emotional clap trap. Lambert was fantastic for us, however, there is not jot of difference in the final outcome between him and AL. They both left! To compound the fact Lambert even says in his latest interview that everyone expected us to struggle.... With players and Poch leaving!

Sinking ship anyone !!!!!

Best to ignore them all and cheer like like we've never cheered before for our current players and team....

First and foremost we should support our current players. Sign to an opposition player when we haven't got a song for loads of current ones?

However a decent round of applause for Rickie is only right. Don't get this he cut his ties with us stuff.... The fact is we were privileged to have had him in our team and he was a big part in us being where we are now.

A player leaving doesn't erase what they did for us and we need to recognise that. Cortese wanted to erase our history and not recognise the historic players we have been privileged to have play for this great club and like it or not Rickie is part of that history even if he now plays for Liverpool or next year for Villa and that needs to be recognised with an appropriate receptionIMO of course

First and foremost we should support our current players. Sign to an opposition player when we haven't got a song for loads of current ones?

However a decent round of applause for Rickie is only right. Don't get this he cut his ties with us stuff.... The fact is we were privileged to have had him in our team and he was a big part in us being where we are now.

A player leaving doesn't erase what they did for us and we need to recognise that. Cortese wanted to erase our history and not recognise the historic players we have been privileged to have play for this great club and like it or not Rickie is part of that history even if he now plays for Liverpool or next year for Villa and that needs to be recognised with an appropriate receptionIMO of course

By which logic you would afford the other two the same distinction .....

By which logic you would afford the other two the same distinction .....

Lol that was a bad post grammatically...combination of spell checker and hangover!

But Lallana yes he should be. soured a little by his actions and comments when he left, but we should recognise his contribution. I am sure he would have opportunities to leave before he did. Can understand giving him some stick though, needed to act with more dignity befitting of being our captain at that time.

Lovren played only 31 games for , he spoke about his head being elsewhere whilst still our player, showed no loyalty to us , the club that took a punt on him when his reputation was low and deserves everything he gets. What did he contribute except probably being an accelerant to others leaving. I can't imagine he was one who telling others to keep the team together? Lovren didn't carry us up he leagues. He didn't play a major part in keeping us up. He came into a good team played well then took the opportunity to get him self more money. He is a mercenary and the only saving grace of his time with us was that we mugged Liverpool for so much money for him!

IMO the deserved response at the announcement of their names before the match should be:

Lambert - good cheer & applause

Lallana - polite but watered down applause as if you'd just watched the first movement of a Brahms string quartet

Lovren - deathly silence, followed by stifled chuckles.

:p

People started chanting for him when it was clear he wasn't coming on, which was embarrassing as we were 1-0 down and struggling to get back in the game. Still love the guy but right now my disappointment at the result far outweighs that.

Agree with this, 1-0 down with half an hour to go and our fans singing the name of some on the opposition bench, makes us look so small time . Look how Spurs fans got behind their team at 2-1 down, we were poor 2nd half - fans just seem to accept defeat

Agree with this, 1-0 down with half an hour to go and our fans singing the name of some on the opposition bench, makes us look so small time . Look how Spurs fans got behind their team at 2-1 down, we were poor 2nd half - fans just seem to accept defeat

That's because the fans were watching the game and could see we couldn't hit a cow's ass with a banjo. HTH

Come on, that's only true for one of them. Lovren certainly jumped at the first opportunity and so we treated him like the mercenary that he is.

Lallana must have had plenty offers from other clubs as soon as we were relegated into League 1, and after five years it's only natural he might want to move on. I think the vitriol rose from expectations from interviews disingenuously talking about "becoming the next Le Tissier".

Lambert had major interest from West Ham as others have pointed out, but as he made clear when he left, he wasn't interested in joining another club other than Liverpool. Had Osvaldo been a hit (in the goal-scoring sense) I'm sure he would have been moved on sooner.