Lambert - his reception and farewell...

Saint86

There is a lot of talk about Lallana atm...

My personal view is that creating a bad atmosphere inside the ground affects our players more than liverpools - as with Redknapp on his return with QPR, the opposition expect it and will ride it far better.

But that is aside. With Lambert, I can't wait to see the big man. I doubt he'll get on the pitch, but I hope and expect he'll do a lap at the end or something, as a chance to say farewell to the fans. The man is an utter legend and will always be epitomized by the pictures of his fist punched in the air while the fans carried him after Coventry... or by his instant impact and celebration in that first game back at city... Love the man, all the great times (Still vividly remember the JPT pen in the final), great goals and even the way he carried himself when he left.

Will we as a fanbase give him the welcome that he alone deserves? I hope so, because this could well the last time we see him in a playing role at all, let alone at SMS.

On top of that, a chant of Southampton's goal machine would certainly get the fans going and generate a loud and vibrant atmosphere in support of Southampton, rather than loads of boo's, jeering and cries or W*nker all aimed at lallana.

Win, lose, or draw there is no way he'll do a lap at the end :lol:

I think he'll loosely acknowledge any warm reception at an appropriate time but not much beyond that - nor would I expect him to. He can say something nice after the match if he wants.

Many players go round the pitch to previous fans at the end of a match though, especially when they've not had a farewell... look at debuchy when arsenal and newcastle met this season. Or even Oxlade and Walcott at arsenal coming over to saints fans after a game. Pretty short sighted if you don't think Lambert would do something along those lines surely?

Many players go round the pitch to previous fans at the end of a match though, especially when they've not had a farewell... look at debuchy when arsenal and newcastle met this season. Or even Oxlade and Walcott at arsenal coming over to saints fans after a game. Pretty short sighted if you don't think Lambert would do something along those lines surely?

At best, at absolute best, I think he may well salute a part of the stadium at the final whistle as he trundles off. Or do a quick 360 on his way off. I can't see him doing anything too much, and that isn't a sign of disrespect from him, I think fans are just overplaying it all (and that includes Lallana the other way as well).

There seems to be a lot of focus on the Southampton old boys. Sure, they did a good job whilst they were here, but we surely should only be focusing on the job in hand, and that is for Southampton to win and keep up the pressure on the big boys. IMO all songs etc should just be support for OUR players.

Why are we focusing so much on them? We need to move on...

Completely agree with Saint86. Lambert will always be a legend, to me and most others, so I hope he get's the hero's welcome he deserves. Don't care about Lallana or the other one, but hopefully there won't be too many chants directed at them. Think lots of loud pro-Saints songs will unsettle them more than any specific negativity that could be thrown their way.

Let's cheer him when he comes on so he can get all geared up to score against us as that'll be the reason he plays. :mcinnes: During the 90 minutes we need to cheer our own players on, give appreciation to Lambert at the final whistle when we've won.

Edited by Saint_Ash

There seems to be a lot of focus on the Southampton old boys. Sure, they did a good job whilst they were here, but we surely should only be focusing on the job in hand, and that is for Southampton to win and keep up the pressure on the big boys. IMO all songs etc should just be support for OUR players.

Why are we focusing so much on them? We need to move on...

this.

He should enter the stadium on a golden carriage pulled by a thousand swans.

LOL. He'll get on, I'm sure of that. Brenda may be a numpty, but he'll give the man 5 minutes at the end at least to receive his reception. And Rickie will make a point of saying goodbye properly. Who knows, he may even drag Lalla with him saying "come with me, plonker, you can share in the adulation." ;)

Will we as a fanbase give him the welcome that he alone deserves? I hope so, because this could well the last time we see him in a playing role at all, let alone at SMS.

Why? He apparently turned down a 2.5 year deal to join Villa in January because he needed more time to consider it (according to the Sun). Seems like he isn't so desperate to carry on at Liverpool now after he made his dream move.

Villa have persisited with the same strikers (who have hardly scored at all this season), but Rickie still has goals in him, but he won't want to spend the remainder of his career on the bench at Anfield.

......think that Sherwood is a bit too canny to pass up the chance of that one.....and at that fee, too. At their end of the table, Premier League survival is a success.

All will be revealed at the end of the season.

Why is there so much sentimental old crap with football fans? Lambert was good for us and we were good for him. Then he moved on, and fair enough too. But that is the end of it. I'd much rather the fans give their support to Pelle, Tadic and Elia (who all need to find the back of the net) than shed a meaningless tear over someone warming the bench for the opposition. OK, blow him a little kiss when he's warming up on the touchline if you must, but then FFS wind him up and put him off his game as he plays for the opposition now and not the team you support.

I can't stand the though of Lambert, or Lallana, scoring the winner for the dippers on Sunday and then reading on here some crap about "At least we were beaten by one of our own". FFS, he's not a Saints player now and not part of what and who we support.

Why is there so much sentimental old crap with football fans? Lambert was good for us and we were good for him. Then he moved on, and fair enough too. But that is the end of it. I'd much rather the fans give their support to Pelle, Tadic and Elia (who all need to find the back of the net) than shed a meaningless tear over someone warming the bench for the opposition. OK, blow him a little kiss when he's warming up on the touchline if you must, but then FFS wind him up and put him off his game as he plays for the opposition now and not the team you support.

I can't stand the though of Lambert, or Lallana, scoring the winner for the dippers on Sunday and then reading on here some crap about "At least we were beaten by one of our own". FFS, he's not a Saints player now and not part of what and who we support.

Exactly. We do have a bunch of fairies on this forum.

Bang on post.

Yup! That about sums it up...

Agreed. And we can take down that statue at the front of the ground too. Embarrassing sentimentality.

Rickie - if you score, celebrate like hell.

The monstrous affectation of "oh I'm so sorry I scored against my old club" must be stamped out. Utter effing guff.

Celebrate Rickie. Celebrate.*

*Ideally, don't score.

It would add to my disappointment of conceding to see Lambert running up to the crowd , in his Liverpool kits joyously celebrating denting our CL chances.

Think he should feel free to celebrate, I don't think players should start having lists of teams they don't celebrate against, however I can't share your desire to see him rub it in.

Got a feeling I would get over it fairly quickly if I did see it tho

Great post

Why? He apparently turned down a 2.5 year deal to join Villa in January because he needed more time to consider it (according to the Sun). Seems like he isn't so desperate to carry on at Liverpool now after he made his dream move.

Perhaps he is just being pragmatic? Afterall, Coretses wanted to offload him to West Ham so you can hardly blame him for taking the Liverpool offer. Sadly it hasn't worked out for him but he must have known he was going to be a bench player for us this season so why not sit on a bench of the club you grew up supporting? He will be off in the summer I expect.

Perhaps he is just being pragmatic? Afterall, Coretses wanted to offload him to West Ham so you can hardly blame him for taking the Liverpool offer. Sadly it hasn't worked out for him but he must have known he was going to be a bench player for us this season so why not sit on a bench of the club you grew up supporting? He will be off in the summer I expect.

Where do you that idea from? I maintain he would still have been first choice. Pelle is Koeman's choice and Koeman only came in when Lambert had left. Whereas ..... Brenda tells the story that Lambert KNEW from the interview stage that he would not be a regular first teamer, It seems that RL was prepared to give up first team regular football with Saints to take irregular games, sub appearances and cup games with Liverpool. His boyhood club came knocking, and that is what he wanted - to be a part of that club. I don't hold it against Rickie. I am sad that he just doesn't seem to get any game time at all now. But his family are settled up there and I can only see him going on loan to places he can commute to.

Of course the priority is to support the men in red and white for the 90 minutes but Rickie really was our talisman and did so much for us that he is a special case.Football (and life) is full of 'sentimental old crap' and often the better for it. In this case it's called appreciation and empathy for a man who gave us so many fantastic goals and memories. Be honest, who really thought, when the chant started in League One, that Rickie would lead us to the Premier league? I didn't. No question that he deserves the ongoing adulation of the Saints fans and surprised that the club haven't suggested some sort of pre-match thank you like United did for Ferdinand. Fans could thank him, get it behind them and focus on the team beating Liverpool.

Of course the priority is to support the men in red and white for the 90 minutes but Rickie really was our talisman and did so much for us that he is a special case.Football (and life) is full of 'sentimental old crap' and often the better for it. In this case it's called appreciation and empathy for a man who gave us so many fantastic goals and memories. Be honest, who really thought, when the chant started in League One, that Rickie would lead us to the Premier league? I didn't. No question that he deserves the ongoing adulation of the Saints fans and surprised that the club haven't suggested some sort of pre-match thank you like United did for Ferdinand. Fans could thank him, get it behind them and focus on the team beating Liverpool.

This.

I suspect that most fans are mature and balanced enough to recognise what a fantastic time we shared with Rickie and to give him a deserved reception.

The road of 'he's no longer in a Saints shirt so he's dead to me' is the thing of slack-jawed simpletons and as pointed out earlier, leads to the removal of the statue, renaming of all the suites only after current players, and dismissing the contributions of anyone from Bobby Stokes to Matt Le Tissier with disdain.

Do you want tea and biscuits in the Shane Long Suite, formerly the Luke Shaw Bar?...If you don't care too much for history there may be a little Italian out there you can chum up with, he must have time on his hands.

So I'm looking forward to seeing Rickie, thanking him for his fantastic work getting us to where we are, recalling all the great times we shared, and they were great times! - and I'd also like to see him slip on his ar$e and miss an open goal.

As for the other two, personally it's a sliding scale of disdain - with Lovren on the wrong end of it.

Hell I hope he scores a last minute consolation goal and the whole stadium stands to applaud him, he really is that much of a legend that he deserves it.

Do you support saints or Rickie Lambert? This wanting an opposition player to score against us is mental! I hope he doesn't make the pitch that way I won't have to see him trying to derail our season.

Hell I hope he scores a last minute consolation goal and the whole stadium stands to applaud him, he really is that much of a legend that he deserves it.

**** that, I'd rather support the CURRENT Saint Fraser in his quest for a clean sheet than support the money chasing EX Saint Lambert in his bid to make his transfer free worth it.

Like you I suspect he knew that he was not part of the future at Saints, after all he was almost out the door last January. My point was though why do people think we are saying "goodbye" to him. It seems quite clear to me that he will be back again next season, but in all likelihood it won't be in a Liverpool shirt, whether it is as a Villain or with someone else (Bompey maybe?) remains to be seen but I really don't think Sunday will be a matter of bidding a fond farewell to SRL. Sadly I don't expect he will even get on the pitch, since Brenda clearly doesn't rate him and (as with us) he really doesn't suit Liverpool's style of play.

I suspect that most fans are mature and balanced enough to recognise what a fantastic time we shared with Rickie and to give him a deserved reception.

The road of 'he's no longer in a Saints shirt so he's dead to me' is the thing of slack-jawed simpletons and as pointed out earlier, leads to the removal of the statue, renaming of all the suites only after current players, and dismissing the contributions of anyone from Bobby Stokes to Matt Le Tissier with disdain.

Do you want tea and biscuits in the Shane Long Suite, formerly the Luke Shaw Bar?...If you don't care too much for history there may be a little Italian out there you can chum up with, he must have time on his hands.

So I'm looking forward to seeing Rickie, thanking him for his fantastic work getting us to where we are, recalling all the great times we shared, and they were great times! - and I'd also like to see him slip on his ar$e and miss an open goal.

As for the other two, personally it's a sliding scale of disdain - with Lovren on the wrong end of it.

Nicely over the top post. Whoever said "he's no longer in a saints shirt so he's dead to me"! Can't see any posts like that, myself. Trying to equate a rational, unemotional view of him playing for the opposition on Sunday with a lovelorn teenager just getting to grips with the demise of their first relationship, is puerile, and dare I say, more of an example of something spouted by those "slack jawed simpletons".

Anyway, because I won't have my tongue up his arse on Sunday this obviously means I have no appreciation of heritage and history, so i'll try not to p..s on the Ted Bates statue after the game which i was, of course, planning to do.

**** that, I'd rather support the CURRENT Saint Fraser in his quest for a clean sheet than support the money chasing EX Saint Lambert in his bid to make his transfer free worth it.

Really! You think he went there for money, wow! Not to move his family home after moving them all over the place or to play for his boyhood club. I bet he would have gone there on a massive pay cut or even for free if need be. I still want us to win and him not score but I don't think he left for greed. Just my view. Maybe I took ur bait!

Nah, Forster is in with a shout of beating our all time clean sheets record set by Kelvin TWO leagues below the Prem. Would be a hell of an achievement.

I think he's already beaten our Prem record?

So he could score a consolation, we're that close with Arsenal at the moment, that consolation could cost us a place in the Champions League, but it's alright, as Lambert will get some applause.

Nah, Forster is in with a shout of beating our all time clean sheets record set by Kelvin TWO leagues below the Prem. Would be a hell of an achievement.

I think he's already beaten our Prem record?

Maybe that's why some forum geniuses call Forster a League One standard keeper.

Top post!

This inspired me to burn all of my MLT videos / DVD's and my old saints shirts - particularly satisfying seeing the '76, '84 and '03 shirts go up in flames.

Might even boo the team tomorrow now I am a proper fan.

Says it all for me too. Thanks Ricky, but you're now playing for the opposition, and we need to win to tomorrow.