Penalty Takers

kwsaint

Just seen a piece from Richard Keys and despite being a bit of a twt , he can up with what I thought was a brilliant idea. Whoever is fouled in the box has to take the penalty. He got the idea from watching Newcastle and Warren Barton was through on goal could have stayed on his feet and shot but went down. He asked Barton about it later who basically said Shearer from 10 yards would bury it more times than Barton from 7 yards . Keys claims that a lot of players will stay on their feet , rather than take a penalty. After all the goal scoring opportunity denied was warren Barton's not Alan Shearer's.

Hand ball would be your designated taker and there would obviously be an issue if the player claimed they were injured. However, Keys reckons old mother rielly was quite interested in the idea when he pitched to the refs body.

What do people think? Crazy idea, or something worth looking at.

Just seen a piece from Richard Keys and despite being a bit of a twt , he can up with what I thought was a brilliant idea. Whoever is fouled in the box has to take the penalty. He got the idea from watching Newcastle and Warren Barton was through on goal could have stayed on his feet and shot but went down. He asked Barton about it later who basically said Shearer from 10 yards would bury it more times than Barton from 7 yards . Keys claims that a lot of players will stay on their feet , rather than take a penalty. After all the goal scoring opportunity denied was warren Barton's not Alan Shearer's.

Hand ball would be your designated taker and there would obviously be an issue if the player claimed they were injured. However, Keys reckons old mother rielly was quite interested in the idea when he pitched to the refs body.

Might benefit defending teams as well though - i.e. if in a dangerous situation they may fancy hacking down, say a CB, thinking they may not be great at peno's?

MLT had his technique, and Peach his, as long as Tadic has the job and the ball crosses the line, we shouldn't complain too much.

Rickie's was faultless in whatever he did with pens........but on the subject of penalty-takers, I can't never forget the words of my first boss...50 years ago.

He was an Arsenal fan and always raved about an old post-war Gunners centre-forward called Ronnie Rooke.

Although there was no technology to measure speed of a kicks then, he swore that RR hit them so hard he often put the ball and the goalie in the back of the net.

a great story and real Boy's Own stuff.

With a giant unit like Courtois between the sticks you can't just blast penalties, got to be a bit savvy about it. He's what, 2 metres high and a goal is 7 metres 32 across, half that 3metres 66, so just by falling sideways he just leaves you 1m66 either side to shoot at, he gets down very quickly and has good impulsion so unless you're prepared to try to slot it a couple of inches inside the post he's got it covered if he gets the direction right. Think he had about a 50/50 record on penalties at Atletico, comes down to right side or wrong side then, slotting it down the middle wasn't a bad option. Must be a couple of Courtois penalty save videos about, look them up, Tadic probably did, plus Toby spoke to him just before, insider trading like..

Edited by Window Cleaner

Tadic might have scored, just, but im glad this thread was opened because like may of us, I had zero confidence in him. But he must be better than everyone else in training currently otherwise he wouldn't be taking them. We need the love child of MLT, Julian Dicks and Ricky Lambert.

Don't think it always works like that.

I'd give Clyne a go if Pellé isn't on the pitch, but please, no more Tadíc.

Good idea. Only issue I can see is if Andre Marriner was refereeing, then Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain would end up taking all the penalties that Keiron Gibbs wins...