Bill Hicks

Coxford_lou

This spurred me into renewing my subs to say "This should be in The Arts, or at least The Lounge." Thank you.

No way. It would be blasphemy to put Bill in the poncy Arts forum, or the noncy Lounge. TMS felt the only place worthy.

God I love Bill Hicks.

Good to have you back, Jonnyboy.

No way. It would be blasphemy to put Bill in the poncy Arts forum, or the noncy Lounge. TMS felt the only place worthy.

God I love Bill Hicks.

I'd always assumed he'd be better than that. I guess that's not his best work?

Not sure if trolling but this 1988 dude, you've probably seen loads of other comedians who were heavily influenced by him, so maybe it doesn't seem that "fresh" to you?

They were a couple of more obscure and outrageous clips of his.

Thing is with Hicks is he didn't really do the standard funny comic thing, he was just his own man.

Try this one.

Not sure if trolling but this 1988 dude, you've probably seen loads of other comedians who were heavily influenced by him, so maybe it doesn't seem that "fresh" to you?

Not trolling, he's never really been my radar. I'd have been 15 in '88 but for whatever reason I don't recall seeing much of his stuff. I'm aware of his reputation and thought it would be better, smarter. Lets all laugh at Regan because he had cancer and didn't die. Even the audience seemed uncomfortable with that. Was he just a shock comic? An early day Frankie Boyle?

Not trolling, he's never really been my radar. I'd have been 15 in '88 but for whatever reason I don't recall seeing much of his stuff. I'm aware of his reputation and thought it would be better, smarter. Lets all laugh at Regan because he had cancer and didn't die. Even the audience seemed uncomfortable with that. Was he just a shock comic? An early day Frankie Boyle?

Certainly not just a shock comic!

I'm jealous, you get to watch/listen to all his stuff now. Just might not be your cup of tea though

They were a couple of more obscure and outrageous clips of his.

Thing is with Hicks is he didn't really do the standard funny comic thing, he was just his own man.

Try this one.

That's like a different guy, much better than the other stuff. Which is the real Bill Hicks's?

That's like a different guy, much better than the other stuff. Which is the real Bill Hicks's?

I think this clip is a bit later in his career where he developed a bit more of a commercial style. But for people who are familiar with his work, watching the earlier obscure stuff gives a sense if his daring and bravery as a comic.

Plus you've got to remember, he was the first. The original.

I loved him. Blazed a trail through comedy, leaving most in his wake before imploding far too early. Like many kids our age we spent a lot of time on drugs quoting him in the early 90's.

It became a bit of cliche, but I still find myself asking "what would Bill Hicks say about this" when more and more crap hits the fan around the world.

Rant in E-minor and Arizona Bay are 2 of my favourite comedy works of all time.

Huge influence, massively critical of his own government and I would have loved to have seen his dissection of the War on Terror and the events that preceded it. His stuff on Waco is probably a good indication of how he might have seen things.

Him and Rage Against The Machine have a shítload to answer for when it comes to some of my more controversial thoughts.

Some of his stuff, on a visceral level, could be funny, though ultimately I found it hard to see beyond his libertarianism and narcissism.

Every comic has to have self-belief in their presence, otherwise they'd never get on stage. He's my favourite comic of all time, and makes the shower of sh!te in the panel show gravy train look fkn trivial.

Every comic has to have self-belief in their presence, otherwise they'd never get on stage. He's my favourite comic of all time, and makes the shower of sh!te in the panel show gravy train look fkn trivial.

Yeh I get that - I guess it's the whole libertarian, politics of self thing which on a subterranean level is almost Clarksonesque.

Agree, to go onstage requires a certain arrogance -of course, that's one reason I like Larry David (before he was canonised by Gervais and became a parody): his arrogance is mixed with gener awkwardness and doubt (dramatised perfectly by the pilot CYB, my favourite episode, where he pulls out of a big, life-changing standup show).

Others mix narcissism with self-deprecation and pathos: Louis CK who's clearly been influenced by Hicks and explores similar themes (different time) is a good example. It's the difference between misanthropy and melancholy -and I just find myself warming to the latter.

Yeah, but we're talking different eras. Larry David gets to hide, and Bill never did. Who is funnier, is of course, subjective. Who is braver just isn't in doubt.

Oh yeah, fk Denis Leary, the no-talent arse clown. Mr Hicks dealt with that nicely.

"I have a scoop for you. I stole his act. I camouflaged it with punchlines, and, to really throw people off, I did it before he did."

God I love Bill Hicks.

I never register where a post as Tapatalk just merges all into a timeline.

Smart funny people, who I respect love Bill Hicks. I just remember him as v angry and aggressive. Probably like him a lot more now.!

And 'poncy arts forum'. Is all the testosterone here changing you?

Edited by whelk

Yeh I get that - I guess it's the whole libertarian, politics of self thing which on a subterranean level is almost Clarksonesque.

Agree, to go onstage requires a certain arrogance -of course, that's one reason I like Larry David (before he was canonised by Gervais and became a parody): his arrogance is mixed with gener awkwardness and doubt (dramatised perfectly by the pilot CYB, my favourite episode, where he pulls out of a big, life-changing standup show).

Others mix narcissism with self-deprecation and pathos: Louis CK who's clearly been influenced by Hicks and explores similar themes (different time) is a good example. It's the difference between misanthropy and melancholy -and I just find myself warming to the latter.

Pseuds Corner special award.

Some of his stuff, on a visceral level, could be funny, though ultimately I found it hard to see beyond his libertarianism and narcissism.

I don't find any hint of narcissism in his style. I think he's just someone with strong opinions, who's pretty fearless and original at how he presents those opinions. Taking something to the edge, isn't the same as narcissism.

Lovely.

Won't open for me. What is it?

Put "Stewart Lee Dead Bill Hicks" into YouTube.

Stew musing on the (not particularly original) thought that dead entertainers have an easier ride than living ones. For 90 seconds material, funny enough.

Thanks. Any intention I might have had of ever seeing Stuart Lee, killed right there. Thanks for the scoop. I thought he was cool before.

Aw pap, you shouldn't be put off Stew by that.

Try this from same show

I think it's genius.

Aw pap, you shouldn't be put off Stew by that.

Try this from same show

I think it's genius.

I've seen loads of Stewart Lee in the past. Didn't mind him. The 2 hours of material crap is a complete píss-take coming from him. I've seen his act, which largely involves telling the same joke again and again.

i suspect you've been wooshed by stewart lee, pap :thumbup:

What's with the sexy new backlit avatar? u remind me, in ur avatar, of baby jesus, except with more glasses, and less beard :thumbup:

Well, possibly. It has been known to happen before.

i suspect you've been wooshed by stewart lee, pap :thumbup:

What's with the sexy new backlit avatar? u remind me, in ur avatar, of baby jesus, except with more glasses, and less beard :thumbup:

Pap looks like a butthole surfers roadie. Confident look.

Big Balls Bob.

Watches Once Upon A Time and still feels he has a platform to take the p!ss.

Hats off to you and your distended ball bag.

Hmmm, yet you, yourself, know the character comes from Once Upon a Time......

tumblr_mgyg0ktMTL1ra6i9ao1_500.gif

rushjustice.jpg

Edited by Big Bad Bob

I've seen loads of Stewart Lee in the past. Didn't mind him. The 2 hours of material crap is a complete píss-take coming from him. I've seen his act, which largely involves telling the same joke again and again.

It's a joke. I love Bill Hicks and it made me laugh. Lee likes to slag off his audience for coming to see him but he doesn't mean it, it's done for effect.

Would recommend the various Bill Hicks books - makes for good reading. His relationship with his parents, particularly his mother, as he grew up is most amusing. He was one a kind and a shame he went so young ... but that entirely fits with the way he was. Don't use the word Legend often, but he was one in my eyes.

Would recommend the various Bill Hicks books - makes for good reading. His relationship with his parents, particularly his mother, as he grew up is most amusing. He was one a kind and a shame he went so young ... but that entirely fits with the way he was. Don't use the word Legend often, but he was one in my eyes.

I loved American Scream. Great bio. What I loved about Hicks was his believability. The story about him tripping in the talking car still makes me grin just thinking about it.