Maarten Stekelenburg, thoughts so far?

Mr X

1 and 3 are the same goal, but 1 or 3, plus 2 and 4 show nicely the other outcomes that Stekelenburg had to bear in mind - and 5 (which is Saturday's FK past Stekelenburg) is by far the best execution.

Better than Davis and Gazzinger, but making a few too many mistakes. Drops and spills the ball way to easy for a top keeper. Slow off his line, hesitates for crosses and as yet, has not made an outstanding save. All his saves so far have been straight forward and what you expect from a keeper.

Need Forster back quickly!

So what about the goals Forster was guilty of last year? Man Utd for one when VP scored second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well like many others I think you are wrong. You are not taking into account the game play. Of course if there is no-one else on the pitch and Willian tries it from where he did any keeper in the world would save it. But it wasn't like that, he had to deal with the rest of what was going on, and the other more likely possibilities, therefore his starting position was not ideal for what actually happened. I agree that perhaps given Willian's previous (that was his 4th goal from a direct free-kick in consecutive games) he might have weighed up the odds slightly different, but then Willian may have chosen to place the shot elsewhere, and still Stek would have been caught out. It would have been a very very lucky keeper who would have got to that shot in the circumstances.

deal with all that was going on?

i'd agree if the ball was whipped in, head height etc..

it wasnt, it was never going to b e headed by anyone what so ever

it was a poor goal to concede.

It was absolutely whipped it, rapidly - it also seemed to veer instead of drop at the key moment when it passed the onrushing players. Also, speaking as someone who's played in goal a few times, you only have a split second even to read a whipped in ball from a CORNER if it's executed well, never mind a free-kick from nearer.

It wasn't going to be headed, but by the time you know that it's already past the penalty spot and you have the amount of time it takes a ball to travel 12 yards at about 70mph to react to that. And again, it was the hardest to save of the four free kicks shown on those links above, they were all Willian goals from similar placed free-kicks, and it was the only one that went in off the post - if he'd not come to punch for the one from close range, or not tracked the bouncing one THEN we'd have a complaint.

Try watching it again (if you have watched it at all). If that isn't "whipped in" I don't know what is.

If you want to beat up on Stek then there are examples of his failings, but this isn't one.

Try watching it again (if you have watched it at all). If that isn't "whipped in" I don't know what is.

If you want to beat up on Stek then there are examples of his failings, but this isn't one.

I have seen the goal loads thanks, it was never going to be headed by anyone else

It was absolutely whipped it, rapidly - it also seemed to veer instead of drop at the key moment when it passed the onrushing players. Also, speaking as someone who's played in goal a few times, you only have a split second even to read a whipped in ball from a CORNER if it's executed well, never mind a free-kick from nearer.

It wasn't going to be headed, but by the time you know that it's already past the penalty spot and you have the amount of time it takes a ball to travel 12 yards at about 70mph to react to that. And again, it was the hardest to save of the four free kicks shown on those links above, they were all Willian goals from similar placed free-kicks, and it was the only one that went in off the post - if he'd not come to punch for the one from close range, or not tracked the bouncing one THEN we'd have a complaint.

oh, ok

We've all stood between the sticks at some point but the few times The9 has done it marks him out as the voice of authority on this matter don't you know.

FWIW I just asked my son's goalkeeper coach who has played professionally and he said he reckons Stekelenberg would have been disappointed with it. But then, what does he know?

We've all stood between the sticks at some point but the few times The9 has done it marks him out as the voice of authority on this matter don't you know.

FWIW I just asked my son's goalkeeper coach who has played professionally and he said he reckons Stekelenberg would have been disappointed with it. But then, what does he know?

He conceded a goal, of course he'd be disappointed. That doesn't mean he did anything wrong.

Also, I didn't claim to be any kind of authority but I do know how brief the decision making time is for a ball that's hammered in from 20 yards away from experience. Anyone at any level can hammer a ball, just like anyone can run fast.

As was written on the Chelsea build up thread I believe, it would not have mattered if there had been 3 Steks in goal, they would not have stopped that goal. If it had been taken from the place where the foul actually was committed then it would have been a different matter. But blaming Stek for that goal is silly.

It would be silly if I didn't know what I was talking about. From that distance and that angle and knowing Willian likes to shoot at goal from that angle, Stekelenburg in his best form would have made the save like I've seen him doing before with more difficult shots. Willian's free quick took some time so Stekelenburg had plenty of time to adjust his position and timing. In the example in this video he had less time to react while the attempt from Kaka was more difficult to save. But that was Stekelenburg in his best form...