Sadio Mane is pronounced Sair-JI-oh Ma-nay

Singapore Saint

Just saw a documentary on outstanding African footballers on Singapore telly which featured Man City's Yaya Toure and our own Sadio Mane, among others. The presenter (a middle-aged African man) pronounced Sadio Mane, Sair-(as in air, hair)-JI-oh Ma-nay.

I wondered if I had heard right and if the presenter had mispronounced the name. Then the man himself appeared and said, "My name is Sair-JI-oh Ma-nay. Please vote for me for African footballer of the year."

Not Sair-DI-oh then (as it is spelt and as I have heard Ronald Koeman pronounce it).

In Brazilian Portuguese the 'd' is for all intents and purposes a 'j' as well. A German friend of mine who's sister in law is Brazilian had a good old chuckle at her pronouncing 'Red Hot Chilli Peppers' as 'Hedgey-hodgey chilli peppers' (that's another thing - their 'r' is essentially an 'h')

In Brazilian Portuguese the 'd' is for all intents and purposes a 'j' as well. A German friend of mine who's sister in law is Brazilian had a good old chuckle at her pronouncing 'Red Hot Chilli Peppers' as 'Hedgey-hodgey chilli peppers' (that's another thing - their 'r' is essentially an 'h')

Indeed. If you want a sausage in a long roll in Brazil you must ask for a "hodgy dodge".

I always find it strange how some players' names get mispronounced by their own managers and teammates.

Are you sure that's how he said it though? I can imagine a low quality video making it hard to distinguish.

Players generally don't seem too bothered by it. I seem to recall Abel Xavier played for Everton for a few years as Ah-bell Zavvi-ay until he signed for Liverpool and told them his name was actually pronounced Ay-bell Ecks-ay-veer.

According to Motson on MotD tonight Kieron Trip-ear has become the Frenchman Trippy-ay.