Arsenal 2-1 Saints - Post match

Batman

I'm home now and have had a chance to see the MOTD snippets. There's a definite grab of Giroux's shirt by Fonte, enough in the present climate to give a penalty. It reminded me of that game at Old Trafford when Alan Ball was in charge and somebody tugged Andrew Cole's shirt in the last ten minutes. 10th May 1995. This was one of the games that my wife came along to and I remember telling her at half time that if the score remained 1-1 then the first time that they got into our penalty area in the last ten minutes Man Utd would get a penalty. If I remember correctly they needed that win to take the title race to the last day of the season and Sky sold thousands of satellite dishes in the following few days. I'm sure that this was entirely coincidental.

Penalty aside, the game should have been stopped with their player down in the middle of the goal.

I suppose this is the thread to report on the performance of english refs. Martin Atkinson and his assistants having an absolute horror show in the PSV-Atletico match. In order of occurrence (and this is just the first half):

1) PSV goal wrongly disalowed for offside

2) PSV denied a penalty when player brought down when through on goal

3) This one will be familiar... Atletico score when a player is down in the six yard box with a head injury (and is bleeding)

4) PSV dives and wins a penalty

If I remember correctly they needed that win to take the title race to the last day of the season and Sky sold thousands of satellite dishes in the following few days. I'm sure that this was entirely coincidental.

Did they? Given that Sky had already had live football for 3 years and Man U already had 2 Prem titles by then...

You have no idea what Fonte "probably meant". This is what Fonte actually said:

“Just want to say thank you for the support and also for every fan that came to the game today," he wrote.

"No one more then me feels hard done by and disappointed, you can feel the same but not more then me!

"When Giroud asks me who gave the penalty away that says it all, if you haven’t watched the game and come to criticise please save me that!

Obviously I don't know what he probably meant. And nor does anyone else - but it's perfectly possible Giroud thought there might have been another foul as well. He might have said "what was the penalty for?" not "who gave the penalty away?".

And FWIW I was there and thought it was a penalty live too.

Edited by The9

If you think that was a penalty you should stick to kits and planning holidays.

Which bit of Fonte pulling Giroud's shirt in the box wasn't a penalty then? No argument that the head injury and offside etc should have stopped the game, but the incident itself was absolutely a foul (actually two fouls).

seriuosly,please troll somewhere else

Arsenal dominated possession, and far more of the game was played around our box than theirs. The fact that we engineered one good chance that Long failed to convert, then a speculative shot from distance that the keeper should never have pushed into his path hardly constitutes a game played toe to toe. Like I said, other than the traditionally galvanising story of heroic resistance denied by corrupt bureaucrats, I'm not sure what solace anyone is taking from that game when viewed in the context of the three toothless performances that came before it.

Which bit of Fonte pulling Giroud's shirt in the box wasn't a penalty then? No argument that the head injury and offside etc should have stopped the game, but the incident itself was absolutely a foul (actually two fouls).

6 of one half a dozen of the other Giroud put his arm into Fonte's face first, therefore first offence should be penalised. All this didn't matter of course as a player was down in the six yard box with a head injury so played should of been stopped.

At least Bobby Madley will not be refereeing a Premier League game this weekend.....Great news for us! :wave:

He must of had a shocker in the eyes of the assessors

Obviously I don't know what he probably meant. And nor does anyone else - but it's perfectly possible Giroud thought there might have been another foul as well. He might have said "what was the penalty for?" not "who gave the penalty away?".

And FWIW I was there and thought it was a penalty live too.

FWIW I was there too and I couldn't possibly see that kind of detail from the away end. Were you using binoculars?

FWIW I was there too and I couldn't possibly see that kind of detail from the away end. Were you using binoculars?

Yep, me too, anyone who claims they were at the match and saw the incident is talking absolute boll*cks. By the same token our goal was bit of a blur too.

No, but I could still see the shirt pull and the way Giroud's movement was being restricted - had no idea about Koscielny until later though. Trying to work out what had happened for Tadic's free-kick wasn't easy though, took a second or two for us to react to the players celebrating as Cech was lying in front of where the ball ended up in the net!