Arsenal 2-1 Saints - Post match

Batman

Perhaps some fans want more than a top 10 finish to cheer and celebrate and perhaps seeing their ambition not being matched by the club is demotivating a few? I can understand that

We as fans are fairly helpless, we can hope for the best but we have very limited powers to influence.

I started following Saints in 1986 and was addicted by 1990. Not because we won (we rarely did) but because we had players like MLT that I could watch and support every season. The new generation simply don't have that - even Hojberg and Boufal talking about moving onto bigger and better things BEFORE they even kick a ball for us!!

Our current owner is content with just being in the premiership - from a business perspective that's brilliant but for fans that's not exciting. Who cares if we have 40 million in the bank if the trophy cabinet stays empty for the next 10 years.

Textbook

Maybe you guys are right maybe it is the Premier league I am finding tiresome. It is frustrating being a Saints fan though I just do not understand why we have hired a new manager who has thrown everything out the window including tactics... Just seems pretty stupid to be honest. We were doing pretty good right? What was wrong with the team setup before?

Now we have this diamond formation, nobody seems to understand, everyone can see it is rubbish apart from the gaffer is he blind?

I have followed Saints since I was 8 I am now 31 years old. As I said before call me a bed wetter but I am just not feeling this season and couldnt give a damm. Should of kept Mane and Pelle..... :)

Maybe you guys are right maybe it is the Premier league I am finding tiresome. It is frustrating being a Saints fan though I just do not understand why we have hired a new manager who has thrown everything out the window including tactics... Just seems pretty stupid to be honest. We were doing pretty good right? What was wrong with the team setup before?

Now we have this diamond formation, nobody seems to understand, everyone can see it is rubbish apart from the gaffer is he blind?

I have followed Saints since I was 8 I am now 31 years old. As I said before call me a bed wetter but I am just not feeling this season and couldnt give a damm. Should of kept Mane and Pelle..... :)

Mané, Pelle and Koeman didn't want to be kept, it really is as straightforward as that. We have kept just one player against his wishes in the last few years and it has resulted in an eventual move that has totally destroyed his career for the time being at least. if he had gone to Tottenham when he wanted he'd not be in the doldrums today. This is a lesson to every player, move when you get a chance if you want to go wherever it is and let the club sort themselves out with it.

Have been otherwise engaged this weekend so have only just watched the whole game in real time for the first time.

Thought we had a decent game and deserved at least a draw. Romeu Man of the Match. Hojbjerg looking a much better option than Clasie. Virgil looks constantly hacked off.

Disgraceful decision making from the officials leading up to the penalty, and Giroud was giving as much as he got in the challenge with Fonte so never a penalty for me (Giroud didn't even claim for it until the ref gave it)

More positives than negatives to take from our performance IMO.

Out of interest, how did you watch the full 90 mins of a non-televised game over 24 hours after the initial match? Some website I assume?

Mané, Pelle and Koeman didn't want to be kept, it really is as straightforward as that. We have kept just one player against his wishes in the last few years and it has resulted in an eventual move that has totally destroyed his career for the time being at least. if he had gone to Tottenham when he wanted he'd not be in the doldrums today. This is a lesson to every player, move when you get a chance if you want to go wherever it is and let the club sort themselves out with it.

Morgan doesn't care about his career, or France, or anything other than money and prestige. He plays for one of the biggest clubs in the world earning significantly more than if he played for us or Spurs. The lesson is don't force a move to an ok club, set your sights a bit higher and aim for the biggest clubs

Morgan doesn't care about his career, or France, or anything other than money and prestige. He plays for one of the biggest clubs in the world earning significantly more than if he played for us or Spurs. The lesson is don't force a move to an ok club, set your sights a bit higher and aim for the biggest clubs

This is of course why he wanted to go to Spurs again this summer and was prevented from doing so by Mourinho because he might want to play him one day or the other and didn't want to lose face by having to reinstate Schweinsteiger if shove came to push. With Utd out of the CL Morgan has taken a 25% pay cut this season along with most of the others except Rooney and Schweinsteiger and is probably on just a few quid more than he could have got at Saints.

Not sure if this post should be in this thread, responding to earlier posts , or the Mike Halsey one.

I think the problem our club, and several others, are up against is with with where we are - in the Premier League. It is now a global brand and a marketing exercise for so many who need a return for their investment, not least the News Corporation / SKY set up.

What use are clubs like Burnley , Bournemouth, Stoke or us to this juggernaut when Arsenal, Manchester or Liverpool have far more global appeal to rake in the bucks ?

The occasional help over the line, like we witnessed on Saturday, is probably the way forward to ensure those clubs are up there at the end of the season.

If this is the case, more and more people supporting their local clubs will bail out, and as Fitzhugh Fella queried in the 'Kat meets Chinese thread', why not transfer the franchises to China (and ignore the local support).

Sad times.

A good finisher instead of Long in our side and we win that 3-2 or at least draw 2-2.

Would a natural finisher (like Austin, perhaps) have been in the positions Long got himself into in the first place? That's his whole game - it's first class at making trouble and creating chances.

He's not even 2nd class at finishing them though. He's more My Hermes :(

Not sure if this post should be in this thread, responding to earlier posts , or the Mike Halsey one.

I think the problem our club, and several others, are up against is with with where we are - in the Premier League. It is now a global brand and a marketing exercise for so many who need a return for their investment, not least the News Corporation / SKY set up.

What use are clubs like Burnley , Bournemouth, Stoke or us to this juggernaut when Arsenal, Manchester or Liverpool have far more global appeal to rake in the bucks ?

The occasional help over the line, like we witnessed on Saturday, is probably the way forward to ensure those clubs are up there at the end of the season.

If this is the case, more and more people supporting their local clubs will bail out, and as Fitzhugh Fella queried in the 'Kat meets Chinese thread', why not transfer the franchises to China (and ignore the local support).

Sad times.

I know this is just a general howl against modern football, but your conspiracy theory about referees favouring big clubs because of TV revenue really is garbage.

http://tbrfootball.com/three-things-we-learnt-from-arsenals-2-1-victory-over-southampton/3/

Southampton Will Continue To Flourish

The south coast outfit are an example to all Premier League clubs of how to manage change, while ensuring continuity of performances and results. With each new manager and departing key player, people ask if this will finally be the season when it all catches up with them; yet it never does. Under Claude Puel, the Saints look set to pull off the same trick again and push on for a top half finish.

Southampton looked a well-drilled outfit yesterday, pressing from the front early on, and their tight midfield three of Steven Davis, Jordy Clasie and Oriol Romeu was extremely hard for Arsenal to play through. Jose Fonte and Virgil Van Dijk are possibly the best centre back pairing in the division outside of the top four; both are physically imposing but also very comfortable on the ball.

Arsenal tried to press them high early on, but were soon discouraged because the Saints played around them and kept the ball quite comfortably. Nathan Redmond and Jay Rodriguez were willing runners in behind Arsenal’s back four while Tadic added a sprinkle of creativity. They lack a thoroughbred striker to give them more firepower, but with talented Sofiane Boufal still to enter the fold, Southampton will be nowhere near trouble this term.

(apologies if already posted)

What a bell end, how do you start a fight on a forum you stupid tit?

Do you practice being such a tool? Because you have mastered it

Everyone else agrees that it was not a pen...... Love the anti saints stuff so much you post cluelessly wrong daily..... Feel a bit sorry for you tbh

I realize you struggle with these things but players were warned about wrestling and shirt pulling in the box this season . Fonte hasn't learnt this yet .

Had this happened in the Arsenal penalty area then you would think it was a penalty .

Go have a lie down . You need it

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

My thoughts after watching Saints at the Emirates.

This was an excellent performance and perhaps more worthy of a good result than last years performance.

The system and organisation was excellent and everybody seemed to understand their role in formation.

The front 3 (JayRod, Redmond & Tadic) were interchangeable. Arsenal didn't have an answer playing against us for the first 35 minutes.

Arsenals goal came from a break by VVD. He did ever so well to intercept and drove at the penalty box. What he should have done was shoot, instead he passed square across the penalty box and the ball was intercepted by Arsenal, who then counter attacked and this resulted in the corner. We had 2 chances to clear the corner, but Koscelny to his credit finished well on his birthday.

I had begun to doubt the system, but after yesterday I've changed my mind. We created a lot of chances and a better finisher than Long would have had a hatrick.

Jay Rod was not very good and deserved to be replaced at half time. Long must score at least one of his chances. Long did win most things in the air, but the players around him must learn how to get onto his flicks.

Redmond gives the ball away too easily and this allows the opponent to counter attack.

Romeo was my MOM, but he always makes a mistake and we were lucky to get away with one yesterday.

Proud of our team yesterday and I'm convinced the results will turn shortly.

Onwards and upwards.

Agree with all of this except the bit about Redmond. Think he's better than most people are giving him credit for.

Otherwise, good post.

its a case fans care. The club has been telling fans that we were going for CL and so many believed it.

IMO you can only dash fans hopes so many times before they lose interest or faith in the club.

Rightly or wrongly there was a feeling that we again had built a team that could challenge and with a good bit of investment could really do something. Again we culled our stars and manager and failed to reinvest that money fully into the squad.

I suppose the realisation that we will always jut be also rans is sinking in and the frustration is coming out

Hard to disagree with this . Saints board are selling a product thats continually diluted . Some fans who get caught up in the hype that the club itself gives out will soon become disillusioned.

Its unfair to criticize fans for that ( although some on here exist purely for that ) . Saints need to engage their fans and give them something to believe in .

Cortese had flaws but he captured the imagination of many fans .

Out of interest, how did you watch the full 90 mins of a non-televised game over 24 hours after the initial match? Some website I assume?

Android box has games instantly saved to watch later . I was drunk and fell asleep during the live game ( 10pm ko here ) . Watched it in the morning instead

...what did he say? ......losing interest in Saints ?.......I hope he was a keen fan when we we're bottom of L1 with -10 points.......

.....that's just what the club needs .....fans who stick with us through thick...and thick .....and then complain when there's bit of thin.

They scream and tear their hair out and threaten to burn their season ticket.......and has only been a fan for 25 years.

I watched my first Saints game 57 years ago .....and remind myself there are 34 games left .....and am a bit more ......philosophical.

Sad times.

However the ridiculous decision by André Marriner in the Swansea game yesterday blows your conclusion out the window.

Im losing interest with Southampton.... Had the best opportunity in recent times to go for the top 4 with players like Mane behind us and Koeman. But it is clear to see now that we are doing everything on a budget and this will come back and bite us on the ass... Call me a bedwetter or moaner I am telling it how it is we lack ambition and should of nailed downed our prized assets. I think our approach this season especially in the transfer market has been under whelming....

I cannot understand the formation we are currently using clearly it is not working so why continue to use weak tactics....

1) drop this formation

2) Get a striker somebody who can finish

3) Claude will be gone before crimbo

4) Saints will never be top 4 not a big enough club no ambition......

Bye then...

I see Koscielny is a doubt for Arsenal's CL game on Tuesday because of a facial injury received against Saints.

Oh will that be the same head injury the game should have been stopped for on Saturday or rather had the foul been given on Long then the head injury would never have occurred anyway or the dubious penalty.........

Just seen motd 2. Gary Cahill gets 5 minutes to talk about how the ref ****ed up and then the panel talk about it for another 5 minutes banging on about how he's hard done by. For Saints we get a Ian ****ing Wright laughing it off and the panel joking about it. So ****ing biased it's unbelievable.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Erm, 5 minutes talking about the only Sunday game and then all but ignoring one of 8 Saturday ones seems pretty proportionate to me. And I still think it was a foul by Fonte.

great a top half finish, something dreams are made of. I suppose its better than a bottom half finish.

In 20 years time we will be able to say 'I was there when we finished 8th or 7th or 6th'

If the club really mean what they preach about growing our fanbase then it is about time they showed it, as selling stars will not wash with fans from throughout the world.They wont feel proud to support a team that finishes as also rans.

IMO they are playing us, I still fell for buying a pair of football shorts for £25 quid as it has a saints emblem on it, I doubt they would cost more than a fiver without the logo.

Im a mug punter due to my years of supporting Saints but I am getting more and more fans talking to me who feel pretty let down and losing interest.

I know this is just a general howl against modern football, but your conspiracy theory about referees favouring big clubs because of TV revenue really is garbage.
Agreed, but I do believe refs are scared of upsetting the big clubs and therefore would rather give the contentious penalty or ignore the small clubs player who was fouled in the build up etc..

It seems that Giroud asked Fonte what the penalty was awarded for.

That really does say it all.

Yeah, he probably meant "was it for the shirt pull, or you kicking my legs from under me, or something else I didn't see with you dragging me to the ground?".

great a top half finish, something dreams are made of. I suppose its better than a bottom half finish.

In 20 years time we will be able to say 'I was there when we finished 8th or 7th or 6th'

If the club really mean what they preach about growing our fanbase then it is about time they showed it, as selling stars will not wash with fans from throughout the world.They wont feel proud to support a team that finishes as also rans.

IMO they are playing us, I still fell for buying a pair of football shorts for £25 quid as it has a saints emblem on it, I doubt they would cost more than a fiver without the logo.

Im a mug punter due to my years of supporting Saints but I am getting more and more fans talking to me who feel pretty let down and losing interest.

_90764432_hi000329892.jpg

;)

Yeah, he probably meant "was it for the shirt pull, or you kicking my legs from under me, or something else I didn't see with you dragging me to the ground?".

You have no idea what Fonte "probably meant". This is what Fonte actually said:

“Just want to say thank you for the support and also for every fan that came to the game today," he wrote.

"No one more then me feels hard done by and disappointed, you can feel the same but not more then me!

"When Giroud asks me who gave the penalty away that says it all, if you haven’t watched the game and come to criticise please save me that!

Erm, 5 minutes talking about the only Sunday game and then all but ignoring one of 8 Saturday ones seems pretty proportionate to me. And I still think it was a foul by Fonte.

If you think that was a penalty you should stick to kits and planning holidays.

Finally a punter on Talksport who has lifted the lid on what really happened in the final minutes at the Emirates..

Adrian Durham, the least liked of punters on Talksport, was at the game and just said what actually happened, that the game should have been stopped when Koscienly and Long went down with head injuries. That even though the ref wrongly allowed play to continue, Fonte and Giraud encounter was never a penalty.

Sadly no Saints supporters have called in to bring the incident more into the eye of more people in the game.

I realize you struggle with these things but players were warned about wrestling and shirt pulling in the box this season . Fonte hasn't learnt this yet .

Had this happened in the Arsenal penalty area then you would think it was a penalty .

Go have a lie down . You need it

I'm pretty certain the ref gave the penalty for Giroud tripping over Jose's legs as he tried to get up. Nothing to do with a shirt tug.

And no, if it happened in the Arsenal penalty area I wouldn't think it was a penalty.

Perhaps some fans want more than a top 10 finish to cheer and celebrate and perhaps seeing their ambition not being matched by the club is demotivating a few? I can understand that

We as fans are fairly helpless, we can hope for the best but we have very limited powers to influence.

I started following Saints in 1986 and was addicted by 1990. Not because we won (we rarely did) but because we had players like MLT that I could watch and support every season. The new generation simply don't have that - even Hojberg and Boufal talking about moving onto bigger and better things BEFORE they even kick a ball for us!!

Our current owner is content with just being in the premiership - from a business perspective that's brilliant but for fans that's not exciting. Who cares if we have 40 million in the bank if the trophy cabinet stays empty for the next 10 years.

I have been saying as much for years and been lambasted for saying so. No, I remain defiant. IMO staying in the Premier league keeps the money coming, 17th will do and anything else is a bonus. We are sailing close to the wind this year because the owners want us too.

I think 'losing interest in top flight football' might be more appropriate? That's exactly how I feel.

I can't be bothered with MoTD, I don't want Sky, I'm not bothered about watching any matches live on TV other than Saints. I love Southampton, it's my place of birth, my home town team and I am drawn towards them no matter what. I love meeting mates for beers and a catch up before or after a match, I love it when we win and I get annoyed when we lose.

But football on the whole can do one. I've already said it this season; Jose this, Pep that, Conte Conte Conte, Klopp Klopp Klopp, Pogba, wow, Pogba, ooooo Pogba, Zlatan, Zlatan Zlatan, £1bn spent, isn't football great.

No, it's tedious, dull and followed by complete helmets who lap up everything Sky Sports tell them. I read one quote on some forum by an overseas 'supporter' of Liverpool who said "I love Klopp, I will support wherever he goes". Then you have Toure's agent who said "if Manchester City don't play Toure, all their fans will support United". Seriously? Do one, f**k off.

I hope there is a super league and they take all their tediousness with them, I want to watch Saints play decent football, with players who CARE and WANT to be here. I want an occasional FA Cup run to the final and to enjoy more wins than losses. And currently yes, a trip to Europe is good fun - for us fans.

I loved the Saints team of the L1 and Championship season and the first season back in the Premier League, but since then, bar Jose and Kelvin, who else is there to like as a player? They're all after the same thing, money and a move to a 'big club' who'll pay them that. Sod off.

Give me Saints in an English league with all the 'big clubs' playing some world league sh*t.

'Modern Football is Rubbish' ...to coin a phrase.

Mané, Pelle and Koeman didn't want to be kept, it really is as straightforward as that.

No it isn't, they were very happy to come here in the first place so what went wrong in the meantime? That's the question we should address, why do players or managers not want to stay here? Other clubs don't have to put up with this s**t every year.

I think 'losing interest in top flight football' might be more appropriate? That's exactly how I feel.

I can't be bothered with MoTD, I don't want Sky, I'm not bothered about watching any matches live on TV other than Saints. I love Southampton, it's my place of birth, my home town team and I am drawn towards them no matter what. I love meeting mates for beers and a catch up before or after a match, I love it when we win and I get annoyed when we lose.

But football on the whole can do one. I've already said it this season; Jose this, Pep that, Conte Conte Conte, Klopp Klopp Klopp, Pogba, wow, Pogba, ooooo Pogba, Zlatan, Zlatan Zlatan, £1bn spent, isn't football great.

No, it's tedious, dull and followed by complete helmets who lap up everything Sky Sports tell them. I read one quote on some forum by an overseas 'supporter' of Liverpool who said "I love Klopp, I will support wherever he goes". Then you have Toure's agent who said "if Manchester City don't play Toure, all their fans will support United". Seriously? Do one, f**k off.

I hope there is a super league and they take all their tediousness with them, I want to watch Saints play decent football, with players who CARE and WANT to be here. I want an occasional FA Cup run to the final and to enjoy more wins than losses. And currently yes, a trip to Europe is good fun - for us fans.

I loved the Saints team of the L1 and Championship season and the first season back in the Premier League, but since then, bar Jose and Kelvin, who else is there to like as a player? They're all after the same thing, money and a move to a 'big club' who'll pay them that. Sod off.

Give me Saints in an English league with all the 'big clubs' playing some world league sh*t.

That'll do me.

The biggest clubs buggering off to some UberLeague to leave the rest of us in a league with Leeds and Derby and Sheffield Wednesday and West Ham and Leicester and Palace and QPR.

I could very happily live with that all day long.

That'll do me.

The biggest clubs buggering off to some UberLeague to leave the rest of us in a league with Leeds and Derby and Sheffield Wednesday and West Ham and Leicester and Palace and QPR.

100% agree.

That'll do me.

That sounds all well and good but all that would end up happening is any player we had would be angling for a move to one of the teams in the UberLeague, the money would all be gone so we wouldn't be able to even try and offer them better wages. So all that would happen is the money would be taken away from teams like us and given to teams like Barcelona, Bayern etc

No it isn't, they were very happy to come here in the first place so what went wrong in the meantime? That's the question we should address, why do players or managers not want to stay here? Other clubs don't have to put up with this s**t every year.

I don't like responding to trolls, but the answer is so very obvious. The players mentioned, and others, weren't wanted by the so called 'big' clubs, not until they performed at Southampton, THEN they were wanted. Do you believe, that if the 'Big' clubs had gone in for them at the same time as us, they would of picked Saints. They left for the money, simple.

That sounds all well and good but all that would end up happening is any player we had would be angling for a move to one of the teams in the UberLeague, the money would all be gone so we wouldn't be able to even try and offer them better wages. So all that would happen is the money would be taken away from teams like us and given to teams like Barcelona, Bayern etc

Yeah, fine.

As long as we can stick a team out and play that's fine. We might win a cup or we might even win the league we're in.

But all the teams not in the uber league would be in the same boat so it wouldn't be an issue. Basically it would be a more even playing field than the PL today more like the championship which would be fine by me.