Arsenal 2-1 Saints - Post match

Batman

It was blatantly obvious, as Long was missing those chances, that we'd get robbed in injury time. Didn't think it would be quite that awful but it was coming none the less.

On the up side, getting robbed at the Emirates is hardly inductive of a team struggling in a relegation fight.

We deserved a point. Last season, our "much stronger" team was very lucky to get a point. Only a phenomenal game from Forster kept it 0-0.

I don't see a relegation fight ahead. Mid-table at least

Generally agree but we need to start putting away our chances (some easy) and no clean sheets in 16 matches needs to be addressed. Jesus Christ I can't remember being so enraged about football for such a long time.

All correct, absolutely robbed by the ref !

Surely if he is going to award a penalty in injury time he has to be 100% sure and not just guess in a 50/50 situation ! It all smacks of 'big team' bias which is sickening !

The ref would have got a thrill from hearing the home team fans cheering at his decision. It's a natural human emotion - who wouldn't feel the buzz from 50,000+ people cheering your decision? However, he's meant to be a professional and professionals are supposed to ignore these feelings in order to give the correct decision, even in high pressure situations...

... unless they're weak and pathetic.

I'm utterly livid in a deep-down lava-fuelled volcanic way, and I'm finding it hard to put a real-life perspective on this ("it's only a game", "it won't matter in a couple of years", "there are more important things in life", etc). I normally manage it within a few minutes, but this time it's a little harder. The sense of injustice is strong. :x

ffs

awful from the ref. absolutely awful

thought we were pretty decent today, always hard at the Emirates but we kept them to pretty longish shots

but that few mins at the end is bordering on corrupt. what the hell was that about.

bottom 3 now, Puel will be feeling the pressure, no doubt

wont be long before the season is written off as a relegation battle

still dont think Redmond is much cop as a forward. why I will never know

Cedric was shyte

Rom was my MoM. good game

outside of the ref, not bringing in a decent striker could hurt us at this rate

Pretty much agree with this assessment tbh

[quote=Batman;2397627

bottom 3 now, Puel will be feeling the pressure, no doubt

wont be long before the season is written off as a relegation battle

What after 4 games!!?? :lol:

I haven't been on this forum long but one thing I've learned is that you are an attention seeker and a bit of a knob. You couldn't wait to start this thread could you? :rolleyes:

I'm frustrated more than normal about today and this season as we had quite a few clear cut chances to score winning goals against watford/sunderland and arsenal and our strikers have ****ing clogs on their feet.

We could of started the season so much better but the manager probably has to take the blame for saying we have the players for the system, who did Nice have upfront last season ?

Edit - Answered my own question Ben Arfa scored 17 and assisted 6 last season in the pivot role but Germain (now plays for Monaco) score 14 and assisted 6 in CF role

Edited by Convict Colony

Never a penalty.

Shane Long clearly fouled in the build up.

Player down with a head injury so play should have been stopped.

Same player offside in front of the goalmouth (huge distraction for goalkeeper - so arguably interfering with play).

Fonte's challenge not a foul, both players were tussling for the ball.

Exactly this.

We also played pretty well. Sitting deep, looking organised. Some reasonable periods of possession too.

This is the type of defeat that could really bring the team together.

Glad we have a mass of games coming up so quickly....... the next three weeks will go a long way to defining our season.

Time for the team to get over that, I have faith there were some good signs in that game, we just lack a confident striker. The Europa League will be a welcome distraction for Puel to properly assess what other options he has and what players can come into the team.

Long looks off the pace at the mo as does Jay Rod, it is worrying that our three striking options just don't look to be properly fit or in form, Tadic once again the creator. What this team need is confidence and a win, we've had two of our toughest games and did well despite losing against Man Utd and Arsenal, it's the fact we were toothless against Watford and Sunderland which worry me.

It will come but I expect a tough season and a midtable finish. It's a shame but Puel has to look at the January window as a golden chance to replace and enhance our options we are desperate for a pacy striker who can play off the shoulder and run in behind, hopefully we'll get one.

Also Cedric was awful once more! Bring Cuco back, or even one of the academy lads, Cedric looks so uninterested at the moment, good to see Bertrand back, hopefully Jay Rod will become fit again but it's a long way off yet.

Fair assessment, although a bit harsh on Cedric IMO.

But yes - home wins against Watford and Sunderland and we'd be 9th, 2 points off the top four and thinking this is an OK start with a new manager. Remain toothless against bottom half teams, and we'll be in trouble.

Calling Sofiane Boufal to the pitch, please. Mr Boufal to the pitch.

Just gone on KUMB forum, I feel better

Good shout - I followed you on and this was the first comment I read - sound familiar?

Probably stating the bleeding obvious, but the first 20 minutes gave a glimpse of what we could be, the remainder of the game brought the reality of what we are at the moment. We look so chaotic and vulnerable at the back, and often impotent on the break. I am not going to wet my knickers yet, despite the result we showed that potential at the beginning, and Lanzini and Payet have yet to fire on all cylinders, but I do worry about our defence.

I'm not so worried about our defence [yet], and for Lanzini/Payet perhaps read Rodriguez/Tadic (and Austin/Long/Cedric/Redmond/JWP....)

There's hope yet [and I've calmed down a bit now ;) ]

many of you have said the same things that I thought.....

Long's missed chances :blush:.........and then the blatant foul on him....:x.

Ref's failure to stop the game with their man down injured in the 6 yard box....and surely the weakest penalty decision in ages. A 50/50 ball with both men going for it .

Tadic's fantastic close control but he always wants to beat ..yet another man ..and then score goal of the season before Christmas.....:smug:

Diamond formation (supposedly) gives more possession, but negates many of the good things we had last season...

Romeu saved us several times , and VvD seems to have lost that " composure " he had last season.

If KD is the contact man between the dressing room ....and the Boardrom ......what does he have to tell them.?

Edited by david in sweden

To be fair, I never understand why goalkeepers don't wait until the ball is kicked before committing themselves one way or another. The number of penalties that go straight down the middle is an awful lot. A good penalty in the corner you're not going to save anyway.
Darren, some years ago they did a scientific study of keepers waiting for the kick with Peter Shilton who believed he could wait. He never got near the ball. The ball goes so quick there is no real time to dive if the ball is already struck

Again, why no hojbjerg? We need to know our best midfield and get some continuity surely

Apparently Puel is keen to play a different team every match due to the extra games we have in our schedule this season.

It means we can look forward to having an understrengthed midfield every week... :rolleyes:

Darren, some years ago they did a scientific study of keepers waiting for the kick with Peter Shilton who believed he could wait. He never got near the ball. The ball goes so quick there is no real time to dive if the ball is already struck

Not true. This research shows that keepers standing in the middle would on average save 33% of penalties.. As opposed to much lower odds if they dive one way.

http://www.gruenderszene.de/allgemein/goalies-stay-put-%E2%80%93-jacob-burak-explains-the-virtues-of-standing-still-in-business

It's Simple, the stakes a

re so high for Sky & The Football League the big clubs HAVE to be at the top as they have the biggest worldwide fan base. Leicester terrified them last year. It is in their interest that 'decisions 'go' the big clubs way

This is exactly the truth, the premier league like nothing better than seeing a player from a top team spin away from the goal after scoring as this makes the customers in Asia excited. It doesn't matter if the integrity of the game is ruined, it's all about making the product appealing to the foreign supporters so more money is raked in, unfortunately we have to accept this as we're happy to take the money as well. Until this stops then the refs will always be under pressure to ensure the top teams get the results required by the league to sell the product abroad

Not true. This research shows that keepers standing in the middle would on average save 33% of penalties.. As opposed to much lower odds if they dive one way.

http://www.gruenderszene.de/allgemein/goalies-stay-put-%E2%80%93-jacob-burak-explains-the-virtues-of-standing-still-in-business

I suppose if you just stand in the middle and wait for them to kick it straight then perhaps that is true but if you think that they can wait to see which way its going and then dive you have no chance

Again, why no hojbjerg? We need to know our best midfield and get some continuity surely

Rotating due to a game on thursday and again next weekend.

We played well without Hojberg, he didn't really make much of a difference when he came on. (Not saying he isn't good - just saying that dropping him wasn't at all part of the issue today).

The players are still working hard (as they should, they're professionals) but there will come a time when they'll lose belief and ease off... and we'll be on the end of a horrific spanking. Then we'll be at a crossroads.

FWIW, does anyone else see any light at the end of the tunnel? The only thing I can say that's positive is that we've played 2 title contenders away and we're able to chalk them off the fixture list. That said, those contenders were exactly the sort of teams we wouldn't have been scared of last season and would have given a good game... and perhaps looked a bit more potent/evenly matched.

As I have said before, Boufal will not solve all the problems. He might give us a bit more creativity but we're still woefully short in other areas.

Anything less than 3 points against Swansea and they'll be a few more twitchy bums on here - and rightly so.

Fair assessment, although a bit harsh on Cedric IMO.

But yes - home wins against Watford and Sunderland and we'd be 9th, 2 points off the top four and thinking this is an OK start with a new manager. Remain toothless against bottom half teams, and we'll be in trouble.

Calling Sofiane Boufal to the pitch, please. Mr Boufal to the pitch.

In reply to both:

Neck on the line here. I honestly think that looking at the bigger picture Saints/Les etc have got it right.

Puel is clearly a tactical upgrade on any previous manager bar perhaps Hoddle. With Europe in mind.

I am fairly confident in the following:

We wont finish top 6

We wont get relegated

We might have a great cup run albeit domestic or Europe

I will bloody love going to the San Siro

We are playing a very good brand of football which is perhaps a little more continental than we are used too, but at times last season our "style" under Koeman was almost Stoke esq. We all saw it.

Yes its disjointed at times, yes its miss firing a bit but there are some signs this will come good if the players stick with it. If they dont, i say it says more about the players than the manager, BUT when we hear ITK posters like Le G loosely intimate grumblings (Which i thought was a lazy message from a poster i trust) i ask myself what the hell do we want....

A manager with a huge ego and massive positive perception with the fans that ****s off at the first sight of £

Players with a huge ego and massive positive perception with the fans that **** off at the first sight of £

or

Sulking players who are not with us that can f'off put cash in the bank and prove to be **** = a sustainable FC

A manager with a poor perception from the fans

A greater good

I will take the latter

As Le Goddard pointed out, this is transition.

1. We are going to the San Siro

2. We are going to Prague

3. We just finished 6th

4. We are Southampton

Edited by Nick75Sfc

Don't know if it was a peno or not , too far away and too many pre game noggins . OR played great today , that's more like it. I thought we were pretty decent , onwards & upwards

it was not a penalty. a catalogue of errors by the officials leading up to it

the penalty incident alone was a joke

Disgusting, woeful officiating. 1) Blatant foul on Long right in front of the linesman not given. 2) Kos is down with a clear head injury - rules state the ref MUST stop play yet he sees it and continues as Arsenal were attacking. 3) What a ****ing soft penalty, wasn't a foul at all. Could argue Kos was offside/interfering with play if ref continued with open play, too.

Robbed. Gutted. Fuming!

Also difficult for Forster to come out or see the ball with Kos lying in his way