How would this side have faired in the prem?

Frank's cousin

With the latest lot of nostalgia floating around, and my recent ramblings about LOwe strategy on youth, I was thinking that perhaps in a parallel universe there is a saints side that won the cup in 2003, where Strachan saw the future in the talent we had in the youth and is still manager and the teamsheet for Saturday's visit to Highbury consists of:

Davis (Neimi retired last season)

Baird Svensson (capt) Cranie Bale

Wallcott, Surman, Lallana Bridge

Beattie Jones

Depends on the manager's reaction and anyway - he'd have built upon this team by buying players so it is irrelevant somewhat.

However, entertaining your thesis for a minute, it would probably be relegated. Just as the team the WGS had in place before he left would eventually have been relegated IMHO... and indeed effectively was.

WGS walked as he knew the team was destined to fall. I remember well that warning when we looked high in the table the Xmas before he left - 'This team is not good enough'. How people laughed at WGS riding high on the top of the table, but he was subtlely warning Lowe to invest or face a falling team as publically as he could. How they laughed at his comment and put it down to a Strachanism.

He then left. And the rest is history.

Had a 'bad knee' and had promised his wife he'd only do a couple of years.

Then went went back into management.

So... depends on whether WGS felt that he could reinforce your team or not FC. Answer, with Lowe ... no, WGS would walk and your team above would relegate.

Nice thought. I think they'd do quite well. Let's assume for a moment that the youngsters here haven't been thrown in at the deep end, but have forced their way through on quality, then I'm sure what they lack in experience would be made up for by the unbounded confidence Strachan would ensure they have, and the experience and brilliance of an uninjured Michael Svensson.

Btw the way, for me, the back line should go Baird, Crainie, Svensson, Bale. And I would dovetail Bale and Bridge, as I'm sure you would too. I'd also swap the midfield around as Wallcott, Lallana, Surman, Bridge. Nice team.

EDIT: Strachan had a supposed bad hip.

Horribly lightweight midfield. Better off switching Bale and Bridge and ditching Surman and Lallana. Beattie and Jones would be a strong partnership though. Davis hasn't proved he can cut the premiership. Only one attempt in fairness, but he was poor.

Would agree with that, need a good DMC (not DMG) in there to shore it up. What we'd give for a pre-knee injury M Svensson though - one of the best in the Prem. Baird got found out a bit last year, can play in the PL on his day but a CCC player over a whole season. Hard to say if Cranie would cut it - bad injuries since leaving us. If the Skates have a firesale we might find out.

Nice thought. I think they'd do quite well. Let's assume for a moment that the youngsters here haven't been thrown in at the deep end, but have forced their way through on quality, then I'm sure what they lack in experience would be made up for by the unbounded confidence Strachan would ensure they have, and the experience and brilliance of an uninjured Michael Svensson.

Btw the way, for me, the back line should go Baird, Crainie, Svensson, Bale. And I would dovetail Bale and Bridge, as I'm sure you would too. I'd also swap the midfield around as Wallcott, Lallana, Surman, Bridge. Nice team.

EDIT: Strachan had a supposed bad hip.

Yes looks good Andrew,

....however, maybe I would have Bridge at full back and Bale in front of him.

Bridge had better defensive qualities although he overlapped well, too.

Bale has younger legs, a bit more pace, better free kicks and an eye for goal.

Midfielders are a dime a dozen, and Bridge has TOO much experience NOT to be in the back line on a regular basis.

Bale has incredible runs on goal at times, and is somewhat reminicent of John Sydenham in full flight. It looks a good team on paper, but I don't expect to ever see any of them returning to SMS (sadly).

with surman, lallana in the middle...we would be toast

add baird at RB and cranie actually in the team

we would struggle but score enough to survive IMO

Mmm, I tend to think that Baird was a bit exposed whenever he played RB ..?

Despite a lack of height, he seemd to be sounder when alongside Claus in the middle of the back row........or ?

With the latest lot of nostalgia floating around, and my recent ramblings about LOwe strategy on youth, I was thinking that perhaps in a parallel universe there is a saints side that won the cup in 2003, where Strachan saw the future in the talent we had in the youth and is still manager and the teamsheet for Saturday's visit to Highbury consists of:

Davis (Neimi retired last season)

Baird Svensson (capt) Cranie Bale

Wallcott, Surman, Lallana Bridge

Beattie Jones

Interesting reflection on some our past heroes.

Aside from the two goalies, and M.Svensson ..ALL the others had a lesser role

when they started. Baird came (from N.I.)as a 16 year old, Crainie and Bridge were also juniors in the club, before we used words like Academy.. and neither Beattie or K. Jones got into the first team regular for some time after their arrival, and they were both barely 20 when they arrived.