Blasphemy and Duck Rape

Yorkshire Saint

8 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

We could start with Adam and Eve were set a task they could not win.

If God is all knowing, then he knew they'd fail before they got the task. Thus it wasn't a fair test and unfair to punish them and humankind for failing.

Or... we could talk about the global genocide flood?

Or... the murder of first born Egyptian babies?

Or... the instructions to keep slaves?

Etc etc 

Your interpretation of the tales of one holy book has been done to death mate. This isn't a bible study thread. If you want a theological discussion, perhaps broaden your horizons. 

19 minutes ago, egg said:

Your interpretation of the tales of one holy book has been done to death mate. This isn't a bible study thread. If you want a theological discussion, perhaps broaden your horizons. 

"we could start with"

Then repeats exactly the same points he's been banging on about for over a year, ignored the answers he got and bored everyone to death with, What a prat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

"we could start with"

Then repeats exactly the same points he's been banging on about for over a year, ignored the answers he got and bored everyone to death with, What a prat.

I didn't get answers that withstood any level of scrutiny. When questioned on them you resort to petty personal insults!

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

I didn't get answers that withstood any level of scrutiny. When questioned on them you resort to petty personal insults!

I think that was more the fact that you're boring as fuck and you did everyones head in with your "level of scrutiny" and your abject inability to comprehend theology. If want answers to the great questions in religion then as i've told you before go to your local mosque, church or synagogue, you wont find them on a football forum, largely because not many people seem to be as obsessed with them as you are. 

Edited by Turkish

19 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Translation "people with more understanding than me told me what I didn't want to hear".

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

There are only two answers and neither are particularly plausible. What do you want? an in-person question and answer session with God? 

Option 1. We and everything in the world were made by a man in the sky.

Option 2.  The universe used to be the size of a pinhead then it exploded and shattered into billions of pieces. Bacteria which came from nowhere grew on one of the pieces of rock flying at 20,000mph through space. Fish evolved from the bacteria and we evolved from the fish. 

Make your choices. What you can't say is that believing in one over the other is illogical. Well obvs you can and do but it doesnt make you right and everyone else wrong.  

Edited by buctootim

1 hour ago, buctootim said:

There are only two answers and neither are particularly plausible. What do you want? an in-person question and answer session with God? 

Option 2.  The universe used to be the size of a pinhead then it exploded and shattered into billions of pieces. Bacteria which came from nowhere grew on one of the pieces of rock flying at 20,000mph through space. Fish evolved from the bacteria and we evolved from the fish. 

Make your choices. What you can't say is that believing in one over the other is illogical. Well obvs you can and do but it doesnt make you right and everyone else wrong.  

Yes it does. We have proof that it’s option 2.

41 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Yes it does. We have proof that it’s option 2.

That doesn't alter that the fact that some people believe it's option 2 and are entitled to that opinion. 

Tim's post also highlights how pointless any "discussion" on the point is. There's 2 options. Take your pick and disagree with someone else's opinion if you really must.

If someone believes in the creation theory (entirely different of course to a belief in a god of course) rather than logical science, it makes no difference to anyone else.

Indeed, it staggers me that anyone would be interested in whether someone else believes science or creation, God or no God, religion or no religion. Live and let live. 

Edited by egg

14 minutes ago, egg said:

That doesn't alter that the fact that some people believe it's option 2 and are entitled to that opinion. 

Tim's post also highlights how pointless any "discussion" on the point is. There's 2 options. Take your pick and disagree with someone else's opinion if you really must.

If someone believes in the creation theory (entirely different of course to a belief in a god of course) rather than logical science, it makes no difference to anyone else.

Indeed, it staggers me that anyone would be interested in whether someone else believes science or creation, God or no God, religion or no religion. Live and let live. 

I’m not arguing that people aren’t entitled to their beliefs and opinions. If people choose to belief a magical sky man created the world in seven days, that’s up to them and it’s no skin off my nose. That doesn’t mean that they’re two equal choices and that both are implausible so you might as well flip a coin. One is a myth and violates all known laws of science. The other has been proven to be sound by scientific facts and is agreed upon by the greatest minds in human history.

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m not arguing that people aren’t entitled to their beliefs and opinions. If people choose to belief a magical sky man created the world in seven days, that’s up to them and it’s no skin off my nose. That doesn’t mean that they’re two equal choices and that both are implausible so you might as well flip a coin. One is a myth and violates all known laws of science. The other has been proven to be sound by scientific facts and is agreed upon by the greatest minds in human history.

Maybe the magical man in the sky created the pinhead the cause the explosion which caused the universe?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Big bang theory is just the latest in an ever changing array of theories about where the universe came from. Might hold up over time, might not. Einstein thought his Static Universe theory was correct.   

3 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Big bang theory is just the latest in an ever changing array of theories about where the universe came from. Might hold up over time, might not. Einstein thought his Static Universe theory was correct.   

If evidence emerged that the Big Bang theory was incorrect (and we are pretty certain that all matter originated from a fixed point in the universe) then scientists would change their mind and be very keen to promote their discovery. Religion people don’t do this.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Well the big bang doesn't explain how the matters that exploded got there does it.

No, you are correct, however this doesn’t lend any credibility to any god. Gods are just a stop gap for holes in human knowledge. Thousands of years ago we had gods of the sea, gods of thunder, gods of the mountains, gods of the forest, gods of winter because nobody knew why these things were happening.

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If evidence emerged that the Big Bang theory was incorrect (and we are pretty certain that all matter originated from a fixed point in the universe) then scientists would change their mind and be very keen to promote their discovery. Religion people don’t do this.

Religion changes over time too 

Just now, buctootim said:

Exactly. Ask what existed before or why it happened they get very hazy all of a sudden. 

Which is the correct response to something you don’t know. The burden of proof lies with the person making the claim.

Anyway, I don’t want to turn into MLG. I’m off to get lunch.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

What difference does it make to you or anyone else if someone believes in the creation theory? You say its no skin off your nose, but you've stepped into the thread and made a point quite forcefully which suggests it does matter to you. 

12 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Indeed. He also said, and I paraphrase, that coincidences are calling cards from God. One of the greatest ever scientific minds with a belief in God.

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Well the big bang doesn't explain how the matters that exploded got there does it.

3 hours ago, buctootim said:

Exactly. Ask what existed before or why it happened they get very hazy all of a sudden. 

Why is 'I don't know' an unacceptable answer to you both? It is more sensible to say you don't know than make up an answer. 

The way to find truth is to admit you don't know and then search for evidence. Not to make up an answer.

'God did it' isn't even a proper answer. It is answering one mystery with another mystery. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 hours ago, egg said:

What difference does it make to you or anyone else if someone believes in the creation theory? You say its no skin off your nose, but you've stepped into the thread and made a point quite forcefully which suggests it does matter to you. 

Creation theory is not a theory in the scientific definition.

A scientific theory is the explanation of something using demonstrable and repeatable evidence.

Theory is also used as a word for a random guess. But that is different from what a scientific theory.

6 hours ago, egg said:

Translation "people with more understanding than me told me what I didn't want to hear".

Let's take one of them...

I claim the story of the global flood was a genocide by an evil God.

The answer I got here was that the people God killed were not humans. That is nonsense with no evidence to support it.

Also so what if they weren't human? Killing them all in a flood is still an evil act and still genocide.

The arguments against my other points were just as bizarre. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

4 hours ago, egg said:

- Beliefs impact actions

- Actions impact people

Irrational beliefs cause harm to society. That is why you should care.

You should want to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible. Science is the path to doing that, not religion which claims without evidence it already has the answer.

3 hours ago, buctootim said:

Scientific theories are based on demonstrable, testable, repeatable evidence. They are the highest point in science. 

Religious theories are a different usage of the word theory, a colloquial 'guess'.

6 hours ago, buctootim said:

1) Your description of option 2 is not accurate.

2) What method have you used to determine plausibility?

3) Why have you ruled in a man in the sky being an option, but not a flying spaghetti monster or various other answers?

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

I think that was more the fact that you're boring as fuck and you did everyones head in with your "level of scrutiny" and your abject inability to comprehend theology. If want answers to the great questions in religion then as i've told you before go to your local mosque, church or synagogue, you wont find them on a football forum, largely because not many people seem to be as obsessed with them as you are. 

Claim - global flood that killed everyone apart from one small group was an evil genocide

Answer I got - they weren't human so it isn't evil to kill them all

You honestly think that is a valid counter argument? 🙄

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Claim - global flood that killed everyone apart from one small group was an evil genocide

Answer I got - they weren't human so it isn't evil to kill them all

You honestly think that is a valid counter argument? 🙄

That wasn't the answer you got.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

I don't know.

You appear to have an issue with I don't know as an answer. But saying I don't know is better than making up an answer without evidence. 

that's not what you said just now. 

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Existence is temporal, so nothing existed 'before time'.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Remind me how you wriggle out of a global flood not being genocide. I can't remember every post of yours from over a year ago.

I didn't wriggle out of it, I and others gave you a response you didn't like and you avoided the subject for a few weeks, then started going on about it again claiming no one had given you any evidence,  which is your usual tactic. 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

You said nothing existed before time, then you said you didn't know. So which one is it?

The question I was replying to was 'When did time start?'. I said I don't know.

Saying nothing can exist before time as existence by definition is temporal is not an answer that says when time started. Not sure how you have managed to conflate that!

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I didn't wriggle out of it, I and others gave you a response you didn't like and you avoided the subject for a few weeks, then started going on about it again claiming no one had given you any evidence,  which is your usual tactic. 

Why aren't you reminding me of you excuse for the evil genocidal flood creating God? That is wriggling.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Creation theory is not a theory in the scientific definition.

A scientific theory is the explanation of something using demonstrable and repeatable evidence.

Theory is also used as a word for a random guess. But that is different from what a scientific theory.

I'm not sure where this has come from. There are competing theories about the creation of earth. They're not theories I'm discussing - I believe in the scientific big bang for what it's worth, although the source of what went bang needs explaining. 

If other people subscribe to the alternative non scientific creation theory, good luck to them.