Saints 'B' Team

SuperSAINT

14 minutes ago, Black Sea Saint said:

Yes. Since the start of the 2023-24 season, the league operates under the so-called 'Swiss Model' where the 26 teams will be seeded into five pots based on their historical performance in the competition over the preceding three years, meaning each team will play 20 matches in the regular season. A 21-game week scenario will see teams playing each club in their own pot plus four or five teams in all other pots, either home or away. After this, the combined table will determine play-off positions, with the top 16 teams qualifying for the knockout format.

• Like 2

On 15/03/2024 at 22:04, Master Bates said:

Screenshot_20240315-210307_Samsung Internet.jpg

Interesting to see that 5 of the top 6 clubs are London Money clubs who regularly buy expensive and often foreign based players 

in favour of their own talents.   Also that amongst the bottom 6 are a number of clubs whose first teams are relatively successful

but they seem to have failed to nurtured very successful youth sides.  Where will their future players come from I wonder ?

6 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Interesting to see that 5 of the top 6 clubs are London Money clubs who regularly buy expensive and often foreign based players 

in favour of their own talents.   Also that amongst the bottom 6 are a number of clubs whose first teams are relatively successful

but they seem to have failed to nurtured very successful youth sides.  Where will their future players come from I wonder ?

It is interesting to see Man City u21 in 24th place, considering they have won PL2 for the past 3 seasons (if the information I have read is correct). They have been the most successful club at this level for some time, what has happened to them? Perhaps it has something to do with them selling or loaning so many young players to us, or perhaps the departure of Jason Wilcox.

Not sure I'm surprised at any of the other Bottom 6 dwellers, Newcastle have been notorious for years at youth level, and clearly the dirty Saudi money has not yet filtered through. Everton and Derby are recently at least basket case clubs.

6 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Maybe its because a lot of talented youngsters from top clubs are loaned out to lower League clubs

17 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

It is interesting to see Man City u21 in 24th place, considering they have won PL2 for the past 3 seasons (if the information I have read is correct). They have been the most successful club at this level for some time, what has happened to them? Perhaps it has something to do with them selling or loaning so many young players to us, or perhaps the departure of Jason Wilcox.

Not sure I'm surprised at any of the other Bottom 6 dwellers, Newcastle have been notorious for years at youth level, and clearly the dirty Saudi money has not yet filtered through. Everton and Derby are recently at least basket case clubs.

Agree with your comments Vectis, but surprised that those two clubs haven't invested a little more in their future talents especially when

you consider the enormous sums that  (especially Everton)  seem to pay out for players who no-one else is seemingly interested in. 

Man City may have underestimated their situation after Jason Wilcox's departure....or maybe he saw it coming as they don't seem to have many more

Foden's on the horizon ....alternatively..  what soccer-mad kid wants to sign for a vastly successful club, knowing he may never even make it to their bench. 

Saints have a proven success record, and even many of those who are unfortunate enough to " fall through the cracks "  often seem to land on their feet and

are still good enough to make a League career, albeit at a slightly lower level.

18 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Maybe its because a lot of talented youngsters from top clubs are loaned out to lower League clubs

.....and (sadly) too many are doomed never to return.   Biggest problem with loan players is that many managers only see the loanee as

just another bottom  to sit on their bench .. and only to be used in the case of injury,  instead of utilising the player's talents from the start. 

14 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

PENALTY 

Harrison steps up AND EQUALISES FOR PORCHESTER

I'm waiting for the SM posts from portchester bragging that they have gone toe to toe with a championship side despite the saints starting XI having an average age of 17..... 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Saints U21s qualify for the Promotion Playoffs.

There is much rejoicing, yey, yey

Have they? Villa play Newcastle Monday (19.00). We play Man Utd Monday (12.00). Villa can pip us unless we get a point against Man U (and Villa don't win by a huge margin).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Have they? Villa play Newcastle Monday (19.00). We play Man Utd Monday (12.00). Villa can pip us unless we get a point against Man U (and Villa don't win by a huge margin).

I didn't spot that 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣