Saints 'B' Team

SuperSAINT

57 minutes ago, egg said:

Abu has apparently been training with the first team and isn't in the u21 squad tonight. 

Interesting. In the last match I thought he looked good on the ball, but terrible positionally. Hopefully that was just a random observation off half a match, and he proves to be amazing. 

Shame about Amo-Ameyaw not being around the first team again - one of the few who can make things happen. 

7 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Interesting. In the last match I thought he looked good on the ball, but terrible positionally. Hopefully that was just a random observation off half a match, and he proves to be amazing. 

Shame about Amo-Ameyaw not being around the first team again - one of the few who can make things happen. 

I've not seen anything of Abu to have an opinion. If he's around the match day squad, I'd imagine that means KWP at left back, with Abu giving alternative cover.

SAA has loads of promise, but realistically he isn't getting on the pitch ahead of Fraser, Edozie or AA (whether he should is another matter though!).

I suspect Fraser is on a typical PL to EFL loan, ie we pay more of his wages if he doesn't play. It's a shame for SAA, but he'll develop more playing for the u21's than sitting on the bench. His time will come - we've got a gem there. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Watched the first half today and it was very clear that without the star names of Doyle, SAA, Dibling etc the vast majority of the young lads playing toda will never make it at a high (PL/EFL) level. The CBs were awkward on the ball and the midfielders lacked any real authority.

It was a bit of a patchwork XI and Bragg looked decent at times but just highlights how far below pro mens level this really is...and I can only assume Vokins is still playing there because he is on a big contract he has no chance of replicating elsewhere.

Of course at this level its more about producing good individuals than a good team and we have a handful of really top players in this age bracket but a huge drop off when they don't play.

Also...Doyle out injured at the moment but I think his contract ends at the end of the season. He strikes me as a quality technical player who once the physical stuff comes could be an excellent player. Would be a big blow to the academy to lose him but no reports of any agreement imminent and he hasnt been involved first team wise despite the relegation.

Edited by Dusic

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

Watched the first half today and it was very clear that without the star names of Doyle, SAA, Dibling etc the vast majority of the young lads playing toda will never make it at a high (PL/EFL) level. The CBs were awkward on the ball and the midfielders lacked any real authority.

It was a bit of a patchwork XI and Bragg looked decent at times but just highlights how far below pro mens level this really is...and I can only assume Vokins is still playing there because he is on a big contract he has no chance of replicating elsewhere.

Of course at this level its more about producing good individuals than a good team and we have a handful of really top players in this age bracket but a huge drop off when they don't play.

Also...Doyle out injured at the moment but I think his contract ends at the end of the season. He strikes me as a quality technical player who once the physical stuff comes could be an excellent player. Would be a big blow to the academy to lose him but no reports of any agreement imminent and he hasnt been involved first team wise despite the relegation.

Correct on Doyle. It'd be an utter travesty if we lose a player of his quality for nothing. Can only assume we've tried but his party is stalling. Possibly wants more 1st team guarantees? 

He came on at HT at Gillingham and I thought he looked quite bright, but been nowhere near since.

Been the only disappointment this season, is the lack of gametime for the likes of Doyle, Ballard and SAA. Honestly thought they'd all have more of a pathway this year.

8 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

Been the only disappointment this season, is the lack of gametime for the likes of Doyle, Ballard and SAA. Honestly thought they'd all have more of a pathway this year.

That might have something to do with him being out on loan at Reading ;) 

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Thought it was only Premier League clubs reserves who played in that. 

No, never has been unless they changed the rules this year. Unless we chose not to enter all I can think is that they selected the teams based on some sort of ranking (league position last year?) and we were not in the top 16, but given we came top of Div 2 that doesn't seem likely. 

Dibling with an assist, precise pass after defender slip, having looked a bit isolated at RW. 

Amo-Ameyaw the main creative outlet at 10, he looks a truly excellent prospect. Really would love to see him getting mins off the bench for us.

Meghoma strong, bit basic. 

Great to have three in the starting line up. 

Should probably look to offload Aribo and Mara in January and get SAA back in the first team match squads, as he could start to look elsewhere and given his talent and age he won't be short of suitors. Perfect to give him minutes if we're winning comfortably.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is Gomes Rodrigues the lad who’s 6 but looks 37? Interesting that he’s in the U21s already if so!
And yes, I also noticed Doyle … possibility for a sub spot during this hectic period? Or has he got a knock. Was looking forward to seeing him this season

• Like 1

Just lost 5-0 to Everton. An abysmal display. Giving the ball away and being caught in possession resulted in Everton being gifted goals together with two soft penalties for mistimed tackles. Trying to play Russball without the ability at a pedestrian pace contributed to a lot of aimless passing and giving the ball away.